Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Garrison posted:

Bill is for anyone who pushes mass jabs, injections, punctures, pokes, vaccines, and inoculations into humanity. He talks as if he’s an expert on the subject despite the fact he’s a college dropout. He possesses no medical degree or expertise. He’s certainly not a virologist.

Ben. Ben, you don't listen to the virologists and doctors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

quote:

they will make parallels to you being a Hitler pacifist if not an outright Nazi.

what the gently caress is a hitler pacifist, ben

did he mean apologist?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I do not like Branco's sideways elephant face.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

JamesBont posted:

I'm not the only one noticing how ramped up the anti-trans rhetoric has gotten more and more vile over the last couple of years, right? I'm surprised we haven't had a political cartoon that drops all pretense and openly states that trans people should be rounded up and killed.

The Ten Stages of Genocide

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Boxing also has weight classes.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Kids can't get their ears pierced with parental consent or be gifted a vehicle with an engine to operate off-road?

"Ah yeah, but that's different to major body piercing or letting them drive an F-150 down the interstate."

Just like puberty blockers and social transition are different to major surgery.

In summary, gently caress you Lester.

Never mind the people who pierce their baby's ears.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

My side hustle is tutoring kids who need help with their reading and writing skills. Games that I have used for various kids of various ages and skill levels:

Mad-Libs
Scrabble
Hangman
Matching letters
A game I made up with a kindergartener that doesn't have a name but involves thinking of all the words we can that start with a random letter and then making them together into a very silly nonsense sentence about blue bees blowing blueberry bubbles
Crossword puzzles
Word searches
Snakes and ladders with words you have to read on the squares or you go back a space

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Murdstone posted:

This is like 90s-era racist bitching. The few occasions I've had to use the phone to talk to call some customer service line and it did language options, it's always just English and someone comes on in Spanish briefly and says something I always assumed was "Press 1 for Spanish" then goes on in English but technically I don't know what they're saying in Spanish during that brief time so maybe they're passing Great Replacement messages from Soros.

The point is this is outdated and even in the past it was almost always English first, then press X for some other language.

And even if it weren't both outdated and wrong who loving cares it's a goddam button loving push the one you need you gently caress.

I'm way too mad about how stupid this cartoon is.

Meanwhile, my whole life, "pour le service en français, faites le deux."

These people out here thinking that something that doesn't even inconvenience them but helps other people who are not them is some sort of terrible imposition. It's loving weird.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I can't stop thinking about this. Which loving books are you talking about, duck?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I enjoy that Pestilence and their horse have little coronavirus nodules all over them.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Jeff Danziger

This elephant has no skin.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

Our local small town pride parade was led by an ambulance draped in rainbow banners and cheerful paramedics (followed closely by the hospital employees union, though admittedly I'm not sure if the paramedics are part of that union or if they were just marching near each other). We had a fire truck full of supportive firefighters further back.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'm so tired.

Also christ these people are so obsessed with top surgery scars.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

MechaCrash posted:

Hell, I still remember when Angelina Jolie got a double mastectomy because her family had a history of breast cancer and other risk factors (the article I found while trying to remember exactly who it was has a quote where she said the cancer chance was eighty loving seven percent, and people were all "how dare you" over it.

And you ever notice the anti breast cancer things that are all "save the tatas"? Nothing about the people they're attached to, of course.

I remember that being in the news, and thinking "oh god I wish that were me." This is very normal and cis of me.

quote:

While many praised the actress for her courage and public service, others worried that her actions might prompt, as Time put it, a “stampede of women” asking to be screened for a faulty BRCA gene mutation – an expensive prospect considering genetic testing can run from several hundred to several thousand dollars. Others envisioned hoards of healthy but overly anxious women lining up to receive preventive mastectomies despite the fact they did not carry a gene mutation that upped their odds for breast cancer.

And yet, I do not think that my internal experience in this is universal. Who the hell came to this conclusion?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

The overlap between people against abortion and people against adoption is not entirely a circle, but there's more overlap than you'd expect.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I actually really enjoyed Strange Worlds. It's not amazing, but it's a solid little story about sustainability and generational trauma. 8/10? But I'm partial to depictions of the body as ecosystem.

The teenage character does have a gay love interest (and is supported by his parents) but this is barely relevant to the theme of the movie and it's mostly used as one of several ways of showing the father's eager but embarrassingly inept attempts to bond with his son on his terms without taking his son's interests and comfort levels into account.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

"The Lease We Could Do"

Oh my god

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Literally eating babies is what you make a villain do in a bad movie to let the audience know which person to hate, and conservatives think TV and movies are real.

Along this line, I heard a radio piece recently which was mostly about the satanic panic around D&D, but the speaker offered an idea that has been living rent free in my brain ever since. His idea is that it's very important to practice imagination, because imagining the world other as it is allows you to imagine ways to change it, or pretending to be someone else can help you gain insight on yourself.

But the flip side of that is that if you grow up in an environment where imagination is discouraged or dismissed as "escaping from reality" or even, as in some very evangelical Christian sects, seen as dangerous (if you imagine a demon then a real demon will come and get you, therefore reading a book with a demon will put your soul in danger), then you grow up without ever having learned how to imagine something that isn't true.

And then if you don't know how to entertain an idea that is not true, then it's harder to critically examine the truth of your beliefs and reject what is false, and it's very easy to fall into conspiracy thinking because whatever you can think of must therefore be real.

My mother grew up partly in a very conservative religious environment (salvation army; honestly she is still unpacking a lot of that) and the other day I shared this with her and I got a whole lot of stuff in return about her childhood that I'd never heard because this resonated so much with how she was taught to behave and think.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

There's a whole book analyzing this phenomenon and the Christian backlash to D&D, Dangerous Games by Joseph Laycock, that I'd recommend you check out. It's a really dense academic book with a lot of takeaways, but one of them is that American Evangelicals get really uncomfortable with the concept of someone only acting as if they believe something in a fictional context, for this exact reason.

I can handle dense academia. I'll check it out, thanks!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I feel like the grammar in Garrison's rants is getting worse.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Skios posted:

Steve Kelley

Oh, we're still mad about "come on, man," are we? Just as we're also mad about Kamala Harris laughing one time?

The poo poo these people get stuck on and offended by and hold on to for goddamn years is astounding.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

:effort:

I'm so sorry

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I like the implication that water flowing into the ocean is wasted and gone forever.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Oh, gently caress you.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

... do you think they cancel flights for fun, my dude? Those are all very valid reasons to cancel a plane.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

This is the image Garrison used as "evidence" in his rant. Sometimes I don't bother copying those because they're usually irrelevant. I see a resemblance but you can argue that plenty of people who actually look nothing alike do if you cherry pick the right blurry photos.

They both look like old men. How uncanny.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

The breasts are commonly located just above the belly button.

She hasn't put her bra on yet, that's all.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

The focus on "Joe Biden likes ice cream and that's bad for some reason" becomes increasingly surreal all the time.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I see we're replacing "comically large newspaper with giant headline" with "comically large computer monitor with giant headline."

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

My brother-in-law just proudly installed a flag pole in his front yard.

Yeah. Had one put in. To fit in with the NEIGHBORS, who ALL HAVE ONE

My impression, as a Canadian, is that you need to have flags everywhere so that you don't forget what country you're in.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I like that he drew Frankenstein's Mummy Bride with knees poking out through her bandage wraps.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I dunno if it was "they push gays off roofs" back then, though. I distinctly remember hearing that the Iranian punishment was that gays would have large brick walls pushed on top of them, though I can't for the life of me remember where that came from exactly.

This seems like an incredibly impractical form of execution.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I really like the art in this one. Look at those tiny cities.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I saw the :latestfad: and had to go find the corresponding asterisk. Lol.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

By all means, Leunig, go to the beach and swim against the current, if you're so inclined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I skimmed the rant because I didn't know who this was, and this jumped out at me:

Garrison posted:

Tester, who misses three fingers on his left hand, claims to represent “Montana values.”

How are these two ideas related, Ben? Did you mean to sound like missing fingers are inherently related to his lack of Montana Values, or is this just how badly your writing is organised? Why bring up the missing fingers at all? What a weird non sequitur.

Also, of course the politician is a multimillionaire, which is bad when it's true about people I don't like, but they usually are because that's who has the money to run big budget campaigns. That's the system. That's how the system works.