Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I had to do a double-take at Citrinne's personal skill, that one's actually amazing. If she can AOE heal then you don't need to dedicate anyone to staff duty (though one person can take Micaiah's ring in case you need some extra spot healing or need to split the team), and this game has Sigurd's Canter so that healing won't even take Citrinne too far out of position. Plus, the standard "almost everyone comes with a vulnerary" FE joining inventory means you shouldn't even need to dig too far into your wallet to keep her stocked, and if weapons don't break then she can spare the inventory space.

Just a shame that she's a mage and so her enemy phasing is going to be pretty limited. Might have to baby her a bit with kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

theshim posted:

okay here's one reason why Engage is already the worst game in the series

they moved luck below def and res

what the gently caress

It's the "etc." stat, of course you put it last :colbert: Their only mistake was not doing it sooner.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Giving Sigurd to Framme first seems like a good idea. Gives her some additional killing power to help her catch up with everyone else's levels, and healing gives you Bond and Engage meter. Your combatants might not fight every turn but she'll definitely be healing, so she can get to Bond level 5 to pick up Canter pronto. I managed to reach bond 5 in two chapters, so now I can hand it off to the next person in the Canter inheritance relay. (Though I don't think she's up t 1000 SP, so it'll probably be a little while longer.)

It's probably going to Etie next.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Seconding, I just finished chapter 6 and I picked up the bracelet.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Ughhh the Tiki map has SO MANY REINFORCEMENTS

Like, three enemies every three turns ten times. (Maybe up to twelve waves. Past a certain point I figured they were endless and I stopped counting.) Maps don't need that many reinforcements! Don't do it! If you want to do that sort of thing, just make a Survive map instead!

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Long-term the Three Houses Bracelet should go on someone who gets two of axes, lances or spears for the "+7 to damage when weapon matches current partner" bonus. In the short term it should go on someone who's staying right up front, because 1/3 of the time Dimitri lets you ignore the next ranged attack you take (including any debuffs it has, like Poison or Freeze) and Falling Star is a super longbow that also lets you completely ignore the next attack you take (and as an Engage skill it doesn't actually swap your weapon, so the user can counter melee right after without issues). Boucheron as a Warrior is probably the best long-term fit if he gets good levels, but it seems like there's a soft cap of 10 on the normal rings early on and Alear will hit level 10 with Marth about then, so putting it on Alear for a while isn't a bad idea.

Etie's a good choice for Marth's ring if Alear's not using it, since IIRC there's the traditional mounted sword-bow promoted class and picking up the sword evasion and extra sword damage skills would be good for her. She's kind of a glass cannon.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Appropriately enough dogs seem like the best animals, since they give you more forging materials. Got a fish from cats and otherwise animals give you the food you'd expect.

cheetah7071 posted:

while obviously you do what you need to do to access classes, Marth is going to be somewhat hampered on an archer because one of his better skills only activates when you break an enemy

And Lightning Speed seems to be either melee-only or Sword only, yeah. Lyn might be better whenever she shows up, if she has both swords and bows, but Marth seems to be the evasion-focused sword Emblem and that's probably what Etie needs.

FrickenMoron posted:

Don't you lose out on 10 potential levelups still?

With Second Seals, you always have more room to level, so you can't ever "lose out" on levels. It's just a matter of how much money it'll cost to get them.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

You know, I thought my Yunaka was freakishly blessed on Strength and Defense for a Thief, sitting at 14 and 13 at level 16, but Zelkov is level 17 with 15/14. I guess they're just like that in this game!

Tae posted:

Please tell me which one upgrades to levin, I hate swords so much since they took away range weapons again and Alear has fist for some reason as secondary weapon

Steel. It's Steel for Swords and Lances to get their magical weapons, and Silver for Axes and Bows. Sadly, the Levin Sword and Radiant Bow are good and the other two are strictly worse; the Hurricane Axe in particular is pretty garbage, being range 1 locked and a Heavy weapon, so it can't double and it goes second.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

I feel like the later characters being better statistically is mostly counterbalanced by (Chapter 10-11) the fact that none of them are going to have Canter for a long, long time. Even if Kagetsu has better stats than Diamant, Canter makes Diamante better for every map where Sigurd still isn't available. RIP everyone who didn't get the 1000 SP before that chapter, though, and since characters get way more SP with Engage Rings than Bond Rings it's pretty easy to fall short if you aren't spreading them around.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

WrightOfWay posted:

Of the three melee magic weapons, Levin Sword is by far the best. It's statistically better in every category than Flame Lance, available earlier, and breaking axes is going to be generally more useful on a 1-2 range mage for avoiding counter attacks than breaking swords. Hurricane Axe can murder fliers real good, I guess, but a forged Elwind tome does that well enough already.

Levin Sword and Flame Lance are available at exactly the same point, the chapter you unlock Forging. Should even take the same amount of resources.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

I'm going to be real sad when I leave Solm. This battle theme is so good.

Hearing people talk Panette up in the thread made me give her another look, which also included looking at Wolf Knight. Man, that's one hell of a stat jump, especially since Berserker doesn't have innate crit in this game. I'll take -6 HP, -2 Build and -8 Strength for +4 speed and a point or two in every single other stat, especially since Knife access makes her much better at 1-2 range than a Hand Axe. Hell of a glow-up there, especially since I don't like Backup type much.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Stick Anna in Mage Knight so that you have an excuse to give her Byleth, since no one else wants the +Luck and more money means more forges. Then she can focus on Goddess Dance and hitting things so she can get money and recharge Goddess Dance. Other people can do the staving.

Lyn's ring having a snowball mechanic is fun. Panette's particularly fun with it, since she's good at stomping generics with crit fishing but she's not doubling bosses even as a Wolf Knight, and she gets a lot of use out of the Mani Katti against armors. I was using Lyn's ring on Etie for a bit, but she's probably the best user of Lucina's.

Haven't really been using Tiki's Bracelet except as a Hail Mary to try and save underperformers. I should probably stop using the Three Houses Bracelet on Chloe, because Engaging into Super Kinshi Knight snaps the difficulty of the game in half, but in my defense it's also very very funny.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Syrnn posted:

Tried Tiki's Paralogue today and :eyepop: those dragon mobs :eyepop:

I'm absolutely positive I'm jumping in too early since my crew are mostly level 8, but I'm not sure how a few levels are going to change my chances. I got the first sigil, but by that point I had the reinforcements coming along with all the mobs in the west tunnel aggro'd. I only even got in the drat complex by Engaging drat near everyone and using the Obstruct staff to have only one of those side tunnel mages hitting at once. Any recommendations? Etie seems like she'll have to step up to be MVP but with 4 Def, positioning her to take out dragons without getting immediately served during enemy phase seems like a tall order.

If Etie is killing the dragons in one shot, then you're gold and can manage the rest. Steel Bow should do it on Normal or Hard, but if not, one forge and/or a Strength Tonic will make up the difference. The dragons are the actual danger, so if you keep killing them immediately everything comes together.

The reinforcements are every three turns past a certain turn count and they always spawn in the same place, up to about 10-12 waves. The last wave is three dragons. You can and should wait out the reinforcements and kill everything in the tunnels before hitting the triggers, and you should position people to be ready for the next unlocked room before it opens. This is particularly important for Tiki, who can't do much to Louis; having him ready to block the hallway helps a lot.

If you really want to cheese it, check whether you've got the Longbow yet (one drops in the story), then hand it to Etie. The dragons behind the locked doors can aggro and attack through it, and if you have Etie with the Longbow then she can walk to the left locked door, kill that dragon, then walk to the right locked door to kill that one too.

Don't forget the Silver Card. (It's sparkling on the map; there's a Warp Staff in the treasure, so just send someone you don't need to get it at the end.)

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

I do understand why they didn't use a Conquest map for Corrin's Paralogue, but come on, Conquest 10! Would've been amazing. Byleth's was fun, at least.

Blaziken386 posted:

fun fact i learned in chapter 16 - is your Ike ring on a unit who can't quite reach the enemy due to those pesky tiles that restrict movement? Worry not! Great Aether can be activated right before you have an ally warp you into enemy territory!!

anyways i know Panette is the current favorite for Ike because lol wrath, but I'm having a lot of fun sticking him on Diamant and letting the guy smash the poo poo out of the enemy. He's a walking tank of doom.

Panette should get Lyn. Go mow down some random enemies and lose at least 1 HP to activate her personal and gain Speedtaker stacks, then send her at anything that really needs to die and use Alacrity to double them from complete safety. You can't get the +Spd and Speedtaker and Alacrity all at once when you only have two inherit slots, so she's got to get the actual ring. Inheriting Wrath is totally an option, though.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

I really wasn't expecting the ballistas in Leif's paralogue to be so drat mean. 54 attack (on Hard) to go with that 100% accuracy is a bit much! Did give me an excuse to actually use my Warp staves, though, and I managed to get all the items. The Mage Knight squad at the end was comical mostly because horse mages don't get Mystical any more, so Yunaka attracted most of them while sitting on a forest and killed all the ones without Thoron, while Alear used Corrin's ice walls to slow down the others so I could pick them off at leisure.

Having Yunaka be able to throw up the fog machine on her own would be great, but being able to use both those and the ice walls and sometimes even the +3 DEF/RES rocks is incredible. Alear's a top five unit so it's a shame to be using her for support, but with Corrin she's very good support.

Infinity Gaia posted:

There's vague information from the datamine that seems to imply Conquest 10 is going to be Camilla's DLC map. Which, you know, does make sense.

Oh, excellent. That'll be a good time!

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

I had bad luck with my Framme and Jean. (Though it seems he's not good in the class anyway, with how his personal apparently works.) I'm considering switching Celine over to Martial Monk, since she has the mixed stat line for it, her speed's not really in doubling range anyway, and Anna, Ivy and Hortensia have tomes covered already.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

My Ivy also gets lots of 2 stat levels. But she's also perfect for Micaiah (durable enough for Nosferatu tanking, hits hard enough for Thani, high enough staff rank for the important ones even before the Bond level boosts to it), and I don't think anyone else really ticks all those boxes. So I'm sucking it up and giving her some stat boosters.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Yeah, Anna feels like a tutorial on Second Seals, except the message never pops up and you can't see growth rates in-game. As a Mage she's got 75/50/60 Magic/Speed/Resistance growths and decent bases and both Sage and Mage Knight are amazing for her, but as a Warrior she... can pretty much just use the Shining Bow, that's her purpose. She is way too fragile for the Hurricane Axe.

Also, chapter 20's boss is very funny to enemy phase. Double Qi Adept allies don't do a drat thing if you wait for him to attack first, and since his return-damage skill on the last two bars doesn't activate on fatal damage, if you one-shot him with a critical then you take no damage from it. I'm pretty sure him getting Echo on the last two bars is supposed to discourage you from enemy phasing him that way, but he never managed to hit Panette even once due to Speedtaker and Corrin's Engraving having +10 Avoid along with the +30 Crit. Guy just got utterly clowned on.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

As someone who's played through FE4 multiple times, seeing not-Julius and not-Ishtar on Sigurd's paralogue map made me so happy. The rest of the map wasn't that complicated (especially since it was the first time I got to use Ivy to Nosferatu-tank; it's fun!), but that was a joyous little moment.

I killed them both, of course. Probably should have done it before activating Sigurd, though! Had to finish the job in a real hurry, but Goddess Dance is very powerful.

Genovera posted:

https://twitter.com/Genovera_SA/status/1618843156514226177?t=PV_pf-CchRsu9u9wkWBDdA&s=19

This was the first time I had him cook. I had to check if he said the same line for other foods too (he does) because it was too perfect.

Amazing.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Natural 20 posted:

Whoever suggested Panette!Lyn.

This poo poo is beyond disgusting. I've turned her into a Wyvern Lord and she just flies around the map desperation doubling everything with a 60% crit chance easy.

She loving soloed one of the four knights.

It's like I'm playing Three houses again. If I can get canto on her it'll be like having my Edelgard back.

I think Wolf Knight is much better on Panette+Lyn because the 1-2 knives are much better than the 1-2 axes and it lets her deal with Archers. I've got Ivy and Hortensia and two Wyvern Knights, someone needs to be able to kill them without any risk. Plus, punch guys aren't really in formations as a general enemy, so it lets you forge up and engrave a really nice knife without worrying about Breaks, and she has knife proficiency if you decide you want to hand her the S-rank Knife eventually over Yunaka or Zelkov. I'm using her Silver Knife more than her Killer Axe most of the time because she can and will enemy phase ranged bosses with it.

Sadly Wrath is 2000 SP so unless you decide you want that over Canto (mistake), it's probably not happening before the very endgame of endgame.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Natural 20 posted:

I don't like many of the ground classes relative to the fliers. The extra movement point isn't worth the flexibility of flying mobility to me and no archer can actually kill Panette because she's faster than them and has tank to spare.

I'm not really looking for Wrath as much as I am Vantage. Drop her down to 25% and fire up desperation killer axe doubles before an enemy gets to go in on her.

Sadly Alacrity is Player Phase only, by the description ("if unit initiates combat"). If it wasn't then Vantage would be the best option by far.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

(chapter 22) Even if it didn't make much mechanical difference, getting to use the red Emblems for a bit was cool. I'm also so happy to have a worse Dragon who can handle Corrin duty. One who even likes the +Magic! It's a Christmas miracle. The 13th Emblem is a cool idea mechanically, and I appreciate that it lets you burn Alear's Engage meter to give an Engage form to both them and one ally, with a big +30 Hit and Evade to everyone around them or the other person Engaged. The problem is that the Engage form doesn't have too much else, so it ends up fairly weak if you don't need the Effective or the anti-Effective shield. At endgame a lot of Engaged forms are very good and being locked into a mediocre one for four turns is painful.

Wolf Knight Panette+Lyn, Wyvern Knight Chloe+Edelgard, Bow Knight Etie + Lucina, Mage Knight Anna + Byleth and Wyvern Knight Kagetsu + Roy are all fantastic units, with Kagetsu joining that group in part because Roy is really good for sword characters once you beat his Paralogue. The Sword of Seals is fantastic and Hold Out +++ is amazing. Alear's close to that group but not quite there, though her stock's rising now that Marth's Bond is uncapped and I can use him on her again. Ivy is doing really drat good because she's custom-built for drain-tanking with Micaiah and that's as powerful as ever, and Hortensia is doing way better now that she has Celica to add some actual offense to her speed and resistance. Yunaka isn't keeping up with the combat monsters any more because there's no real Emblem support for her, but Eirika's decent and has a good Engage mode, and with Corrin giving her fog she's still invincible against anyone not Mystical. Celine and Seadall are just here for staves and dancing, but Celine being able to throw a Thoron at three range is frequently useful for finishing off stragglers. (Chapter 22) That's the main reason I haven't dropped her for Mauvier, because his stats are basically all the same as hers or better. And his stats aren't even very good!

blizzardvizard posted:

I made 2 Peach Cakes with Jean on 2 separate chapters but with the exact same extra ingredients (1 Peach, 1 Milk, 1 Rare Fruit) and got A rank both times.

Obviously 2 is not a good sample size but I do wonder if this works off a recipe system (which would make sense) instead of randomized results

The way it works, seemingly, is that every character chosen to cook has a list of "Titles" for food, with some better than others. Serenes has a list. Along with a bonus for picking dishes they're proficient with, I also expect that more ingredients = better odds of better titles, with maybe a modifier for picking an appropriate or inappropriate Rare item. (Don't add Rare Fish or Rare Vegetables to the apple pie, but Rare Fruit would be good.)

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Endorph posted:

be thankful their legendary tomes arent in this game, too. julius had a tome that halved all damage *before* his defense and res got applied, meaning you needed something like 60 raw attack to even scratch him, and ishtar's tome gave her +20 dex and +10 speed. she couldnt miss and basically always doubled.

and yeah. for a longtime fan, there's a ton of little easter eggs, and i think there's enough here to pique at least some newer player's interests.

I stopped there and went, "wait, didn't Thorhammer's +10 Speed just cancel out its weight?" and checked her stats. Oh, right, she also had 30 Speed, in a game with no Build stat. Forgot about that.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

As far as the actual base goes, you pick up materials at the farm (put dogs there, they give you forge materials), cook something, and do three fights in the arena for some free experience if you want. There's fruit in the orchard (pick it up every once in a while, using materials seems to improve your odds of good results cooking food) and some bond shards lying around in Sommie's grotto (plus the ones for petting and feeding him). Then you're done unless you have shopping. The optional activities, like exercise or fishing or wyvern riding, all give pretty minor bonuses and are very skippable.

The people in the base will all say generic lines corresponding to their current location. The only actual plot-responsive dialogue is indicated by a speech bubble with three dots on the map above their heads. Mostly it's just reminder text about what's happening in the story ("We need to get the ring at the castle!"), so it's all skippable.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Micaiah's paralogue would have been much improved by having multiple enemies spread throughout with revival gems and better weapons, like Marth's paralogue did. I'm surprised more of the paralogues didn't do that.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

And game finished, about 73.5 hours. I feel like it's solidly the best Fire Emblem in terms of what I like about the games, and at this point I've played all of them. (Including BS Fire Emblem, since IIRC the maps are in the FE3 remake.) Incredibly solid basic systems, good map design, story ends up actually pretty good--though it's limited by the fact that a lot of things are in service to gameplay and hitting designated cool moments above every moment connecting smoothly. ("I managed to steal your time rock and the rings while you were distracted! Very careless of you" / "Alear died so now I have all the rings, somehow") But the gameplay and cool moments facilitated by that approach were indeed good gameplay and cool moments, so it's forgiveable.

I appreciate that the game has a real player phase focus for a long time, and that there's an effort to keep you from sweeping enemy phase even later on. You can still do it eventually, but it generally takes Emblems or the right terrain. That said, I like that they let Alear into that club, giving them a sweet 1-2 sword to use with Marth for the last stage and any content you have left over. But if they were going to do that, then they should have given the 13th Emblem a version of that sword the same way they gave it a version of Liberation, so that I'd have more reason to use Engage+! Wonder why Alear's 1-2 sword was named "Willie Glans," though. That's very unfortunate.

Most consistent unit was Etie, who did Good Archer things very well from start to finish. Rarely the outright MVP (outside of Tiki's map, where she was the designated dragonslayer), but always valuable and always useful in a game with a good Longbow. Weirdly consistent about critting on 20-30% odds with her Eirika-Engraved Longbow. Biggest fall from grace was Louis, who was always more-or-less invincible physically, but who got totally eclipsed by the crazy enemy phase juggernauts like Panette+Lyn, Ivy+Micaiah with Nosferatu, or Kagetsu+Roy with the Binding Blade. Past a certain point he was just filling out the numbers.

A part of me wants to jump into Lunatic, but I bought the DLC, so I may as well wait for the rest of that. Should give me time to avoid burning out, hopefully. For now I'll probably poke my head into Tempest Trials, which I haven't touched at all (or Relays, but I don't have NS Online, so).

They do give you 120k for beating the game and loading a clear file, so for anyone using a character with S Fists or S Axes, the S Fists weapon is behind the final Brodia investment (50000, after the 5k, 10k, and 25k levels) and the S Axe is behind the final Solm investment. The S Greatlance is behind Firene and the S Staff behind Elusia, but lol heavy weapons and the S Staff is seemingly one-use only AND only fills up Engage meters.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Oh, something about the final chapter I forgot to mention that amused me: I'm guessing that Sombron summons more of the Dark Emblems if you take too long, but I killed him in three turns, which meant he only summoned FE1, FE2, FE4, and FE5. The Fell Dragon's darkest power: Kaga Fire Emblem.

Harrow posted:

I'm curious about the Tempest Trials because it looks like it could be a fun little pseudo-postgame diversion. Sometimes I feel a little bummed at the end of a Fire Emblem game because I've built up this army of characters I love to play as and now there aren't any more maps to do. If the Tempest Trials are reasonably fun to mess around with (I'm not at all expecting like... great maps or anything), that'd be nice.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

I tried Tempest Trials, looked at the rewards, went, "hmm, additional speed and anti-Corrupted on Engage weapons sounds good," and selected the Recommended difficulty.

Like half the desert map was Wolf Knights with 60 HP and 44 Speed. Apparently Speed goes that high even outside of Speedtaker, who knew. Also, they'd split my eight units in half, so each of my four-man groups was fighting 10+ enemies. Reuniting the group was not practical.

...I think if I try it again I'm going to put it down, like, 10 notches.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Emblem rankings:

S: Lyn, Byleth, Micaiah, Roy (Bond uncapped)
A: Corrin, Ike, Roy (Bond capped), (DLC) Edelgard
B: Marth, Eirika, Celica, Sigurd, Lucina, (DLC) Tiki
C: Leif

The S tiers are the transformational Emblems. Having Lyn, Byleth or Micaiah lets you do something totally unique that automatically makes you a much better character. They each even have two of these gimmicks: Lyn's clone decoys and her Speedtaker stacking (AND her Engage attack), Byleth's Instruction rallying (on Alear) and Goddess Dance, Micaiah's ranged AOE staves and Nosferatu. Bond Uncapped Roy feels a little weird to place here, but he gives sword units a 1-2 option with +5 to both defenses AND the incredible power of Hold Out+++, plus a lot of raw power. Roy's Engage is the only way to make a sword unit a true Enemy Phase juggernaut (until Alear on the very last stage, with Wille Glanz), and he's very good at it. He might be more of an A+, but it's right on the line.

The A tiers are the really good ones that don't seriously transform you. Corrin is there almost entirely because good placement of ice lets you set up against enemy formations with near impunity, and Draconic Hex is very useful when bosses have multiple HP bars. Portable cover for Yunaka is cool. Ike makes you tank, but it's not on the level of uncapped Roy unless you're using Great Aether, and that's a once-per-Engage. With Roy, even earlier forms of Hold Out let Roy's partner take a boss's best directly to the face and be just fine afterward. It's just that before Hold Out++ and +++, you're more likely to get killed by everything else there afterward. The Edelgard DLC Bracelet mostly just gives you numbers and two Engage weapons, but they're very good numbers and very good Engage weapons, and it's the only way to get a Longbow on someone that can fly, letting you break a lot of stages in half for free. Plus, the extra turn Engage attack once you get Byleth.

The B tiers are the "just gives you more numbers" Emblems. Marth would be A on Alear, but alas Lightning Speed goes last in the attack exchange and therefore often doesn't heal you in endgame. Eirika in particular feels like she kind of lacks an identity beyond the Bracer and the two halves of Blue Skies, and past a certain point Warp Ragnarok and the +magic damage on Celica stop being impressive. Sigurd and Lucina feel weird to put here, because Canter and Dual Assist are both incredibly strong, but realistically speaking that's all they really have, and the power of those skills lies in getting them on everyone. By themselves, they're both pretty mediocre. Sigurd does have giant movement when Engaged, but generally that's only contributing a one-time damage boost with Momentum, and if you charge Sigurd's partner way out ahead then Sigurd is contributing nothing to keep them alive. The DLC Tiki Bracelet falls off more and more as you go because a lot of the power is in the Engage, and the Engage locks you to the Engage weapons for the duration. Starsphere does make characters ridiculous eventually, though, and Geosphere is very nice.

Leif bad. Adaptable is a cool concept, but his Engage weapons are bad and it switches to them much more often than I'd like. Arms Shield will keep you alive, sure, but in my experience you won't do too much while you're not dying.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Hobble is pretty clearly designed for the enemy rather than for the player, same as Big Shield back in FE4. Which is whatever, Wolf Knights don't really need anything more. Knives are really good!

The class skills are seemingly intended to be more cool bonus things than giant defining features, and I like that, because together with the whole Backup Covert Mystical etc class trait system, it's one more thing pushing against party standardization. Knives are really good and Wolf Knights are generally solid otherwise (and there aren't that many Ridersbane weapons), but no one's talking in the thread about going with a full Wolf Knight squad; Mage Knight and Wyvern Knight have better skills than Sage and Griffon Knight, but similarly, a lot of people have been extolling the latter two over the former two. There've been posts about "wow, flier class stats are really good" but no one's going full flier either. I don't really see any of that changing as people play more.

The giant character-defining build thing is instead who gets what Ring, and that was the right decision for this game.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Let's be fair, you also need them to promote any of the primary royals you're not using (Alfred), so that they have slightly fancier outfits in the cutscenes. That's an important purpose.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

One thing I want to mention on the topic of the story quality: Lumera's death sort of worked for me because so much of Alear's reaction was about still not knowing her. Grieving that there isn't more to grieve, especially when she seems to care so much... But that still caps it at 'wistful sadness' instead of genuine tragedy. (End game) And then you get the scenes in the past after the revelation of Alear's real parentage, where you see just enough about the two of them to put it all in context, and only THEN did it become properly sad to me. And that recontextualization of everything wouldn't have landed if the initial death scene was totally satisfying.

I think that's a bit of writing that doesn't get enough credit, because it's playing the long game. I like it.

Edit: Similarly, (end game) the spoiler of Alear's parentage itself is in the same kind of category, because even in the moment people stop and go, "wait, does that actually matter?" And then you get the past scene and it has actual impact when you see the original Alear acting like a zombie.

Einander fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 2, 2023

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

ROFL Octopus posted:

Strong disagree, the soundtrack is badass. Tear Streaked is one of the best “climax map” tracks in the series and the Emblem remixes are ridiculous. I’ve only played Tiki’s paralogue so far but I didn’t get sick of the track for like the hour it took me to beat that map.

Bright Sandstorm is a fantastic track. The Solm arc is all about giving you a breather period after the big mid-game climax and the battle map music for that segment is a big part of that.

Falling Petals was great, too, and Last Engage does the traditional "remix the main theme for the final battle" thing and that's all I'm asking for there.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Blaziken386 posted:

so, upon restarting the game, i'm curious
when, exactly, is the intro cutscene supposed to take place? It can't be 1000 years ago, because all your friends are there + alear has blue hair. But it also can't be a flash-forward to the end of the game, because when you actually confront sombron, it's in a different place. When chapter 24 featured Surprise Time Travel, i thought that might've been leading up to this, but then you just get sent right back to the present anyways. So. When is it. Is it literally just a dream??

The flashback scene after 24 where Past Alear defeated Sombron happens in the place leading up to the room where prologue Alear defeats Sombron: notice the pillars and the gate. (If chapter 3 is any indication, it may be Lythos Castle.) It's just on fire and the pillars are ruined, compared to the pristine appearance in the intro. Lumera specifically says "why are you here all by yourself" (rude: Marth was there), so I'm guessing what we saw in the intro was the publicized version: Alear gathered a group of heroes (who may have become the future royal families) and together with the Emblems, they attacked Sombron's forces and defeated the Fell Dragon together. The actual truth is that Alear and Marth did it by themselves. Maybe that's what the power of the Emblems was used for 1000 years ago? Would explain everything being so messed up.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

I for one enjoy the early chapter 20s running Alear through the extra character modifier wringer. What do we get up to, Dragon Satan Jesus Zombie Ghost? I think we can probably fit another one or two on there.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

based on datamining, there's very plausible speculation (but not true confirmation) that the other three hounds will be playable in DLC. Which, if true, kind of sucks that they held it back for the DLC. There's like, a handful of spots where they do the conquest thing of leaving something unexplored so they can charge you thirty bucks for it. Never even remotely as bad as Conquest about it, of course, but it still is a little annoying

More about it in this Serenes post.From what's presented, I do agree that these seem to be alternate versions of the Hounds rather than the people themselves. Or they're pulling a Quattro and they're the Hounds wearing sunglasses and talking very unconvincingly about not being the Hounds. This is why you're not allowed to wear accessories in cutscenes, because otherwise you could take the sunglasses off.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Harrow posted:

I'd really love to know more about Engage's setting. I enjoy the idea of it being a world that just sits in this weird nexus between all the other Fire Emblem worlds and has echoes of their geography and at some point in the past created rings that spiritually mimic legendary heroes from those other worlds. It's a cool concept that is fun to speculate about but would be cool to actually have a bit more in-game about.

I'd also like to know more about religion in this setting but I suspect some of that is in supports I haven't seen yet. I'm especially curious about the Fell Dragon religion and why a seemingly otherwise good person like Mauvier would become the Fell Dragon version of Vander, like what does the religion actually offer? What draws people to worship the Fell Dragon that isn't just "I'm evil lol"?

The theme that keeps coming up around the Hounds is "they gave us a place to belong" and they're the only real members we see, so I assume they're supposed to be representative. So yeah, the answer is probably "you're raised into it." Which is pretty realistic, for an evil dragon cult.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Coward.

SMT is good, but Persona is incredible and it's entirely because it makes you spend more time herding a gaggle of idiots than engaging with the gameplay, and you shouldn't care who knows it.

Engage is an all around solid game with really good tactical gameplay, but it will never have the Black Eagles and you'll eventually forget about the former when next you play a good video game, while the latter will stay with you for life.

I think in that specific case he met Veyle and decided that she was deserving of undying loyalty, which I totally get, while in general it was just a regular old religion before Sombron was revived and nobody was doing anything particular evil in his name. Like, it was just a community, and worship was like having a monolatric patron deity like Apollo in Sparta or Anu in Uruk; your god is kind of a moody prick, but he looks out for you, so you'll happily offer up a goat or some wheat or whatever when you visit the temple.

One thing about it that's decidedly non-normal: IIRC doesn't Griss talk about people "dedicating his pain to Lord Sombron" or something in a way that suggests his whole combat masochism thing is an actual institution in the Fell Dragon cult, not just a weird personal quirk? Because that's definitely strong evil religion vibes right there.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Alear would survive camping mostly by virtue of being able to summon Ike and Lyn, who actually know how to rough it. Then again, even without Emblems they also have Fire Emblem Protagonist power, which allows them to solve any serious personal crisis by having a recruitable person show up to help.

Panette would have a great time. There's bugs all over when you're camping, and also half the cast never learned to camp, so there'd be plenty of ghosts too.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Hellioning posted:

Also, I was 100% correct in that Alear's design being half red and half blue is silly. Both Past Alear and Emblem Alear look much better.

I do like Past Alear's look because the black makes the gold pop more, while it essentially disappears on the white. It's a good three-color design. I appreciate what they were doing story-wise with Emblem Alear's design, but just Fill Tool-ing red with blue (but leaving the cape) makes it obvious that that shade of blue is not meant to stand alone. It's way too bright!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Hector's "spend 20% HP to keep enemies from stopping on diagonal squares" is such an odd ability, both because Hector wants high HP for Riposte and because it seems to be a "prevent enemies from attacking at 2 range" skill that forgets that enemies can just shoot you from two linear tiles away instead. Honestly think the best use for it might just be putting Hector on Panette as an alternative to Panette + Ike strategies, and then using that skill to activate her +10 crit from Blood Fury. Otherwise the ring seems like a pretty straightforward "build a Enemy Phase juggernaut" Emblem that's somewhat hurt by not getting a cool 1-2 range Engage weapon. (Runesword does not count. Putting Runesword on Hector was a joke about that weapon being kind of bad in FE7.)

Camilla is three Emblems in one! "I need an Emblem that gives some speed and I'd also like magical weapons, and +move is nice," "I want a cool axe and a lot of resistance, and +move is nice," and "I want to put Dragon Vein on another character, and also +move is nice." The design doesn't quite mesh. I guess Yunaka might like using her...? She does have a weirdly high magic growth and Thief has no way to use it natively, plus the fog generator on a Covert and a big +Attack weapon for armors and +resistance to help Yunaka tank mages. Kind of a shame the Dragon Vein effects seem to be identical to Corrin's, that's a missed opportunity. (endgame thing) In light of the +HP and +Speed, there might be an argument that Camilla is better for Veyle to give her some actual offense to go with her Dragon Vein utility, though losing Draconic Hex and the freeze makes that a tough sell.

Soren feels like an attempt to redesign Celica, between Bolting hitting a similar niche to Warp Ragnarok and a similar tome damage niche. I don't think I'd ever use the magic damage reflection staff. (Maybe for giggles on the "Griss in the dark" chapter?) Giving the person with him Draconic Hex would be funny with Bolting. Haven't actually done this stage yet, though, so I haven't seen his full set yet.