Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just starting the show, episode 2, and is this a world without anti-fungal medication or are they specifically saying the cordyceps has no known medicine, or maybe even no possible medicine. Just a thing to accept for the setting for apocalypse to occur or is cordyceps a particular resistant fungus biologically if it made the jump from bugs to mammals?

Taear posted:

American post apoc stuff is really bad about telling us about the rest of the world.
I guess at least we got the indonesia stuff?

Unless they dive into another set of characters or plots, I'm not sure what this would look like or purpose it serves? I would assume things are bad in those countries just like what we are shown... except in different languages sometimes?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

It's a real thing where fungal cells are so similar to animal cells that it's difficult to make any medication that won't also harm the host. We have antifungal meds but even moderate antifungal treatment requires constant monitoring to make sure it's not doing serious damage to your internal organs. Treatment for an infection as invasive as cordyceps would essentially be lethal to the host.

All that aside, don't think too hard about the realism of the zombies. While the medication thing is a real-world issue, they are still mostly a fantasy concept.

Yeah I'm not dwelling on it, my first question was if it's just how it is here accept it, that's totally fine. My thought was I remember being given some cream for athlete's foot in middle school or whatever, which I erroneously extrapolated to thinking we knew the cool tricks for fixing fungal problems if we needed. They won't even let us us eat moldy bread -- I should've known it wasn't a solved problem.

So what's the deal with these mushroom seeds I bought online, will they grow portabellas in my stomach or not? I know from experience you can't grow sunflowers that way, even if you tan

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Has anyone tried talking to the mushrooms? That one lady tried a romantic kiss but there was no discussion beforehand so it obviously didn't go anywhere.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I agree with her call. There should still be at least one prepper out there who has a bunch of skin problems because they are in their bunker with an ungodly hoard of tinactin constantly covering themselves head to toe in it for years, convinced it's kept them fungus free. Then they are infected to drive the point home.

The fungal growths and sculpts in this are so beautiful, idk how they look in the games but like the scene with ellie poking at the (what are the zombies called in this?) was really freaky and the fungal designs and effects were fantastic.

edit: and whoops if my post caused this derail, it wasn't a complaint or knock against the show and was rooted in my overconfidence in modern medicine.

edit2: haha getting a prepper episode now I think

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 26, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I know what happens in the games or endings from exposure to the dumb junk shitheads were mad about it but haven't made the emotional connections yet.

and holy poo poo this show is slick, that switch from badly played piano to Bill playing it sorrowfully, to the dude slyly doing the ol "oh is your boyfriend as impressed with you as I am" + figuring out sexuality at same time, then the kiss, THEN asking his name --> pivot to telling him to go take a shower. A lot of emotion and character in one packed scene.

edit "i was never afraid until you showed up" :cry: at all this

this ep hosed me up

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 26, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

The thread for any zombie show is going to be roughly 30% media illiterate mooks who think the only reason they haven't succeeded at life is that there hasn't yet been a zombocalypse.

gently caress the apocalypse, when the internet temporarily goes down I don't know what to do anymore, there's no noise, all the stuff I like to see and do is gone. I'm not going to kill anything or sort of growing food. I'm also never going to ride in the back of any truck ever again so the soldiers can just shoot me at my house

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kwolok posted:

Have you considered taking a class on media literacy?

it's Darth's Vader, Darth is the creator and Vader is the monster

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
watching episode 5 of this zombie show rn and they are really trying to make me think these are crayon drawings on the wall? looks like paint to me nevermind they have paint up there all is well I was about to flip out.

edit: don't go in the sewer level, it's always a bad level y'all.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 27, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

"There should be more sharks in Jaws"

isnt that the seqels?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
"The Contractor" that's pretty cool

Yeah we were cool, everybody loved contractors.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
haven't played the games or felt things were rushed.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Not my observation, but the societies depicted here are all very backwards looking (compare with Station Eleven, whose central conflict concerns a generational divide between pre-apocalypse survivors who can't move on, and the apocalypse generation who are trying to build their own customs and beliefs).

I can buy that Ellie's obsessed with the past, because there's always going to be someone like that, but part of me wonders whether that might be an outlier attitude -- seems like it might be a nerdy niche interest. I suspect they'd be huge swathes of kids who just look at escalators and carousels and old movies and just reject them, rather than find them fascinating spectacles, particularly given that twenty years have passed and most of this poo poo would have either been packed up or just degraded.

(BTW, what are your 10/10's from the last decade, if you have any. Not trying for a gotcha, this poo poo's so subjective. Just interested in what might resonate with a fellow Australian.)

I buy that many will not overly concern themselves with things they cannot have, but I don't think it would be unusual at all to be curious about the very recent past that caused the lovely world to be the way it was, as well as interest in the things they had before. The stuff she was amazed at would be amazing the first time anyone saw it, was exciting the first times we encountered them as children before getting used to it all.

Given how little folks seem to have, and how poo poo mostly looks like blasted ruins filled with mushroom monsters, or safe zones beset by authoritarians, they would find magical sights and locations to be magical sights and locations. The "too cool for the past" attitude seems like it would be the fringe position of some bitter individuals or a sect of people going to extremes with that concept as the new world coping mechanism.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Prestige TV has a really high ratio of complete bummers I'll gladly avoid. I know cops suck I don't need to watch the Shield about it, hard pass.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
People in TV shows have superhuman health and strength unless specifically shown otherwise for some plot reason or other. Just like how in all fiction you can "knock people out" by bonking them on the head and they just wake up later instead of being brain-dead, severely concussed, or in a coma.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was already waiting for an attack the entire time at the mall, even though they tried to be like "no don't worry this isn't a zombie zone." A) I'm just not going to believe the show telling me that and B) Dawn of the Dead(I think?) was the first zombie movie I remember seeing and the mall is for many reasons a fun set for a zombie attack.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Chamale posted:

Ellie's reaction to the electric staircase was adorable. The fourth and fifth wonders were "Let's get EVEN LOUDER just to make sure a zombie attacks to move the plot along."

I like that it wasn't even the wonders that woke it up, it was then just them laughing and reacting that alerted it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Right they should both be grounded and learn to court each other appropriately with a chaperone. This would have also saved Riley's life if done sooner.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I can believe the kansas government would create conditions for massive sinkholes in their cities that FEDRA could later fill with mushfellows

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wasn't that Mortal Kombat rated M for Mature? and they're both teenagers aka not mature... I know hollywood is messed up but really, both actress' parents signed off to let their kids play that??

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I can think of lots of times in media where people are playing a game with something glaring wrong, like wrong controller, not plugged in, spamming buttons that don't make sense for the game or action shown, etc, but never thought about how much work it would be to actually get good shots of gameplay, let alone meaningfully sync it up with actors and in editing.

All the examples I can think of its funny to notice the mistakes but ultimately they are irrelevant to the story, so can be wrong like a hundred other little things that don't matter either.

Happy to read the work gone into getting these shots and effort made to make them relevant to the script.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Naw, the weak pilots that get picked up are picked up because they have good concepts for a series.

You also don't really need anything beyond the words "zombeland tv series" to understand it's not a great concept for a series.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
When someone tries to pick a genre fight threads should just autofill in 3 pages of lorem ipsum and anyone who wants in on that garbage can just pretend they made their totally worthwhile points, but in fake Latin.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
yeah yeah keep posting these are real discussions really great discourse

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I genuinely don't think I've ever seen a string of posts so irritating that TWO lurkers stepped out of the blink to post submit a plea for silence

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I've cracked myself up today several times at work imaging someone cracking their neck and knuckles ready to type when they see a show tryna act prestige

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I thought he'd be Amazon Delivery Driver until he lost his mind and decided terrorism was cool and his thing now

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Better to be a fungus than a sheeple

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm allergic to penicillin and have never been given it and never thought about an injectable form or where it goes in. Before I look it up, my guess would be to inject it on the arm either in the vein or arm muscle, would probably go for the muscle because finding a vein is a skill.

Bad news if you're meant to apply directly to improvised weapon wound, I'd be too scared to stab there.

Edit: okay so the answer is anyone infected with me is hosed without the internet to look up the specific drug

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 6, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Guy really piled on the creepy characteristics when any one of his things are evil enough on their own.

Fatality at end well deserved. Ellie extremely quick thinking on her feet backed into the worst corners.

I did expect some kind of "albatross soup" moment with the community the next day if they were served real venison, but preacher couldn't even wait a day before not even trying to hide being evil anymore.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Get the feeling the game probably had you kill a cartoonishly high amount of people in this episode and also all the others.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yes, basically every major plot point has either combat with people or infected involved, since its a video game. Like in the jackson episode you fight off raiders. that would add nothing to the show so they smartly left it out.

I'll play the games when they eventually come to PC but get the feeling I'll feel that stuff just throws off the pacing, plus I just don't like shooting people in videogames. Heard there was sneaking though and I love to sneak around.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

XboxPants posted:

I also felt the ending was sudden or off like many people are saying, BUT I kinda think that's just because I'm so broke-brained from modern tv. In truth, I actually really appreciate that we're getting these self-contained stories that start and resolve within a single episode. There's not enough of that today. It seems like so many shows feel obligated to fill half of every episode with some tedious long term narrative that doesn't really go anywhere and it's just being included so they can wedge in a cliffhanger and string you along waiting for the mystery box to be opened (looking at you, nu Quantum Leap)

If I want some shows to be less like Star Trek Discovery and more like Star Trek Strange New Worlds, I gotta tell myself that it's fine if the episode just ends neatly and resolves everything and doesn't set up next week's episode in any obvious way.

I'm with you here, show is moving at a perfectly fine pace. I would've been cool with an albatross soup moment built in but not at the expense of having to dwell another ep with those losers or changing who killed who.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I also immediately distrusted the guy because he was a preacher. Even the best case scenario there would make me suspicious and unlikely to be sympathetic. Maybe if they introduce the character as a normal person first and you know them for a bit before revealing that they are religious, but if I know they're a preacher from the outside my mind will always first be asking if they are a pervert, a grifter, a control freak, or a combo of them. It would take deliberate effort to assure me as a viewer the introduced preacher character is a good guy.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
A game needs new mechanics to keep the shooting interesting and tension up over the course of the game. The drama doesn't need the same ramping up, it can often be detrimental if the stakes are constantly mounting or escalating. Think they've shown a variety of different ways to fight for survival. Not sure what adding in another monster they have to shoot more harder, and that is hard to make any kind of emotional connection with. Most people don't have any strong feelings about parasitic fungus, hard to relate, but religious authorities hurting people is something everyone is impacted by and can relate to. They did more work than necessary to make his demise satisfying, not sure there's any amount of hats to put on a miniboss monster to make it anything more than a whatever monster.

I think one of the 28 Time Periods Later movies tried to do that with one of the zombies, it was some ody's dad though and they kept making it not die or do extraordinarily personal menacing things for a zombie so it was still more of a personal connection than just a tough boss zombie. It also didn't work well and was probably the goofiest thing in the franchise for me.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha coulda swore there was a third one I skipped, maybe they'll get around to a 28 years later eventually.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm not sure showing more boring zombie attack scenes would add anything. You're constantly shown how dire things are for most people. Any time mushrooms have shown up, someone has died.

A videogame needs to fill time in ways a show does not. The glut of zombie fights in the game isn't because they really needed to punctuate how bad the mushroom threat is, it's there because it is a AAA videogame and gun violence is best-selling gameplay consumers want to have fairly often to hold their interest and for other game and exploration or story systems to feed back into.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Vaccines are just weakened versions of an existing virus or whatever, right? Stands to reason to make a vaccine all you need to do is beat the hell out of a virus, but not kill it, and pour that rear end-beaten virus juice into a needle.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
We're not letting you into our compound, Dr. Einstein Poindexter, attorney of genius. We used bigger fists to beat up bigger fungus to pour into a bigger needle, meanwhile you're out there with baby needles trying to find a little girl to invent a cure for you.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The mushrooms probably just need to be cooked and that's why they are making everyone sick. If you eat or are eaten by certain raw mushrooms obviously you risk geting sick or worse.

Jerusalem posted:

In The Last of Us universe, the man who grew up next to a Hulk Hands Factory is King.

Edit: Well either that, or Ludacris is....

Always a good time to revisit that video. That's the sort of stuff I'd bore Ellie to tears with if I were Joel. She doesn't even know about Neopets or my unjust account freezing for cheating just a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
stubbornly insisting on calling them kombucha mushroom people every time and getting someone killed because it's not enough to say it, it must be screamed