Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favourite former IK?
This poll is closed.
metis 5 7.04%
Metis! 16 22.54%
Me, tis 18 25.35%
emits 14 19.72%
Hydrossity 18 25.35%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Now that I've beaten Nier I need to choose a new game to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I am going to take this opportunity to mention that throwing someone out of a window is an act called defenestration

Which almost always has religious connotations, for some reason

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Well, yes, the 1618 Defenestration of Prague was due to a protestant/catholic conflict and essentially kicked off the 30 Years War

It's not just that, check out other famous defenestrations. The act has it's own name because of the symbolic power of it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jay Rust posted:

Which game studios get cia money?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

bone emulator posted:

Nier:Automata

I decided to play Space Hulk.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

no I'm playing Space Hulk. I already ordered it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

goddamnit the copy of Space Hulk I ordered isn't supposed to arrive until the 12th

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Infinitum posted:

You can play Hero Quest in the mean time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A

I can't be buying more minis right now man. I got so many I still need to paint. And 40K 10th edition is dropping this summer and rumoredly will have all new Tyranid models. I can't be buying more minis right now.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

there's an oolong called "duckshit" that people go sicko mode for

going sicko mode off that duckshit

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/horror4kids/status/1621180876359876611?s=46&t=EmkRsAqyQoxFkXzvhUMXow

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I know I'm old but I just realized another marker of me being old is that I still think the gamer drink is Mountain Dew, not Monster

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

And Gundam Evolution is still trucking along, god bless it. The new season is apparently going to come with a lot of updates to the game, so here's hoping.

Wasn't that supposed to come to consoles at some point?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, it did a couple months ago.

Oh poo poo, I was excited for that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/wyatt_privilege/status/1621883409445314561?s=46&t=biuiYiJg6LOrWtxGegczQQ

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Losing my poo poo at the fact that the game everybody’s been debating this whole time turned out to be a drat cheapo looter shooter

https://twitter.com/itsnewyokio/status/1621209768864915456?s=46&t=biuiYiJg6LOrWtxGegczQQ

You unlock wand attachments that make your wand more powerful.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/swarthyhero/status/1622061938640388099?s=46&t=RRkYu1vt3udMnvHk2knDgQ

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Barudak posted:

When you decide to do a media dive, you go all in, dang.

some October you should take a peak in the Horror movie Challenge thread in CineD. a couple people consistently watch over a hundred horror movies every October.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kerrzhe posted:

is the story any good

According to IGN, the story is bad and poorly told, the game has constant performance issues and extremely frequent bugs, the inventory system never stops being annoying, and there’s almost zero enemy variety, with only the occasional identical troll set piece fight to break up firing your wand at the same guys.

They gave it a 9/10

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Yeah they just hate it

That sounds more like he just really likes Harry Potter than anything else.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

LionArcher posted:

quit these forums about 6 months ago, and came back last week briefly while I had my first head cold in three years. (I thought it was covid finally getting me to start, but after a number of tests ever 48 hours for a week and other people who got sick at the same hang out all testing negative multiple times it was in fact just a head cold). It's been great to catch up on gaming questions, and chat about keyboards and great tv like the last of us.

But the Harry potter conversation reminds me why I quit, and why I'll probably be leaving again.

First, JK is a jerk. Nobody here is arguing against that. But when I see posts about how buying the game makes you a lovely person, that turns into moral high horse bullshit that's ridiculous and coming from always online people. (I'm not calling out any one poster, I'm more seeing this on twitter but wanted to vent for a second). Do you fly for vacation ever? Did you plan on children and have more than one? Do you own multiple cars (or other motor vehicles) not just for a job requirement, but for pleasurable activities? These are all easy to argue to be far worse ethical behavior then buying a freaking video game. I won't because that's silly, but if we're in ethics mode philosophy, it's easy to argue.

It's the same kind of silly thought process where we talk constantly about defunding the police, without taking into account how that messaging is silly and dumb, versus what we actually want (then not getting away with killing innocent people, corruption, bloated budgets, that sort of thing.

Lastly, I want to just say, my biggest annoyance about the JK stuff is people can't just talk about how she's problematic, they have to tear down her work as well. Yes, there are racist tropes. But her impact on getting multiple generations to read can not be understated, and as much as there is "better" writing out there, she really did bottle lighting, and as fellow writer, that should be appreciated. You can just not like her poo poo, but pretending it's all bad is... silly and puritanical.

I haven't pre ordered the game, and probably won't buy it new. (If nothing else, IGN showed it clearly needs an update or two). I'm in the middle of ghost of Tsushima directors cut, and loving it. I've got a huge backlog, and the next new game I'm probably buying is either advance wars on the switch or the best and hopefully highest selling game of the year, Zelda, tears of the kingdom.

getting multiple generations to read Harry Potter isn't a good thing

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If there’s this much excitement for the game, someone should make a thread for it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

LionArcher posted:

Like, I’m a loving ally. But

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I got an email from Playstation telling me to preorder the new Destiny 2 battlepass. Destiny 2 is still going?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

homeless snail posted:

consider, as Isaac Asimov once said, any sufficiently advanced machine gun is indistinguishable from magic.

That quote was always a dumb tautology.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jay Rust posted:

Ok so here’s why I think pathfinder’s approach to magic is bunk: (also applies to d&d games)

At low levels you don’t get many spell slots at all, AND the buffs you cast don’t last long, maybe one or two battles. So after a few encounters, your casters are essentially bad fighters, spending the vast majority of their time missing their autoattacks.

Ten levels later, they have TOO MANY spell slots. Because most buffs’ duration increases with level, a single cast of a buff lasts a whole dungeon, so casters can fill their magic book with many more direct combat spells, and suddenly they’re OP as gently caress and become the best damage-dealers AND healers AND crowd-controllers in the game.

Is there no middle ground??

wizards should be over powered

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/Bolverk15/status/1623406690644246528?s=20&t=Dq0U5I4Xf43UdLNoO_qHpw

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Escobarbarian posted:

This year I’ve completed Final Fantasy IV, Grapple Dog, and NORCO, and am in the middle of Persona 5 Royal and Pizza Tower, plus doing runs in Slay the Spire every so often (only got to the third boss so far, beat it but then it bloody resurrected or something smh). Will start Metroid Prime Remastered tomorrow, very excited to finally get to that one.

So far I've beaten Nier. I wanted to play more games but for some reason Amazon needs two weeks to deliver a copy of Space Hulk

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

bone emulator posted:

In some places they refer to it as "rounding" a game, as in the way old arcade games just start over when you complete all the levels.

I've literally never heard that anywhere before

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

bone emulator posted:

I should probably have mentioned it's a European thing

Well I'm from Spain and I've never heard anyone use the phrase "rounding a game"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don’t think these huge profit-driven corporations are equipped to handle gender

https://twitter.com/f1nn5ter/status/1623419049370591234?s=46&t=fC_dLKjADdAQsxOkdwDt1w

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/mollygos/status/1624847572182642689?s=46&t=p_LD5Wy9mmWxJOTI0DcpxA

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

I enjoy that Live A Live doesn't really seem to have resource management. HP is healed after every fight and the only real "MP" is cast time.

That HP thing should be standard in games with random encounters

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

Sometimes I think about Blue Apron and lol to myself

Did they have a food poisoning scandal, or was that just every meal kit company other than Blue Apron?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I like the detail of one of them being slightly off beat

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

After like three months, it has finally arrived

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Space Hulk seems impossibly difficult

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There are three Prologue missions, each like 5 minutes long just showing you the basics of gameplay, and I can't beat the third one.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It took me three tries to beat the second one and I only won on the third round because the AI did something stupid

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

is it just like, the big green guy in space?

It's a video game based on the classic board game, Space Hulk

And by based on, I mean it's a perfect 1/1 simulation of the game. They specifically say the outcomes of combats are resolved with a computerized D6 roll. The player controls the Blood Angel Terminators, the computer plays the Tyranid Genestealers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jay Rust posted:

With citizen sleeper defeated i need a new switch game I can play at work. Recs welcome

Mechanicus