Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Herstory Begins Now posted:

ty to each of them for volunteering their time and energy for what is no doubt a pretty thankless task

Indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

funeral home DJ posted:

What the gently caress would make that informant think that any of that poo poo was a good idea?

What made any colonial power feel justified in exterminating/oppressing native inhabitants of territories they occupied or sought to occupy?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Please, eating squirrel would be an upgrade over typical British cooking

Source - I am British.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Tarquinn posted:

Okay, Russians are Romans now. Finally this war is justified!

:psyduck:

Russani eunt domnes!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1633400927410438145

Mf literally going "you haven't seen the super sekrit army of 250,000 spetsnaz with 50000 armatas and 10,000 Su-57s yet". :lmao:

He's in so much denial I'm amazed he isn't in Egypt.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

looks like violent protesting works

There we go.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1634481235350245378
An army with an ideology that fights for justice. Good joke. Thinking too far ahead for a success that hasn't yet arrived your way only leads to grief.

He's like the shittest Big Boss ever.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Partigiano, portami via

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

PinheadSlim posted:

I don't give a poo poo if they don't want to get involved with anything, what's really gross is that they will sell you a gun to defend yourself with but balk at the idea of selling you ammo to defend yourself with. They have no business selling arms.

It's exploitive, hypocritical, and a whole bunch of other awful things.

Well, they are a bunch of Calvinists after all.

This is a joke, Switzerland would still be awful regardless as to what church traditions were established there

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1635426158903803904
A russian, mystified at the innovation of the Ukrainians, curses and wonders why his bunch can't come up with weapons like this. It's SFW except for some cursing.

Well, at least he's hoovering while he's there.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Looks like it weren't just China that was measuring the drapes.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I didn't know Scott Adams decided to be a journalist.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

StrangersInTheNight posted:

this is hosed bc the pundits are arguing that at this point russia must win or the world will punish each individual Russian and charge them with war crimes, as a tactic to terrify its citizens into supporting the war

'we must win this war or they will come for you'

It says a lot that they're not even using the excuse of being moral. They fully give up on the idea of acting in any way other than treacherous, ruthless and cruel - an utter mask-off propaganda moment.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Tigey posted:

Wait what

Same logic behind Van Halen and the brown m&ms, I say with full confidence.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Helsingin Sanomat, a national Finnish newspaper, got the chance to interview the Editor-in-Chief of Dozhd ("TV Rain") a Russian opposition news channel, which was declared an enemy of the state around the start of the invasion and now operates out of Latvia (and will soon move to the Netherlands). A lot of the interview deals with the channel staff's experiences, but some of it is especially relevant.

Source: Helsingin Sanomat
Writer: Elina Saarilahti

E: WHOOPS had a very serious error in there, fixed now.

Not that I doubt their abilities, nor the fact that counter propaganda does seem to not do anything other than antagonize the championing of the R.A., but I would be curious as to know what language they feel I needed to communicate to the general Russian population.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Karate Bastard posted:

Swedes be like trevligt mycket trevligt NATO medlem ja ja

und bork

OCH bork, you racist!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I look forward to this being nullified once Ukraine joins the EU.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

...he, uh, does remember that the DEFENDERS won the battle of Stalingrad, yes?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Dwesa posted:

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1638587089678737437

something something Russia's sanitation coverage

What was the source, the BBC?

Also, regardless as to them not being equivalent to nuclear weapons... Obviously, D.U. is still radioactive material - there is grounds for concern on that respect (which, of course, is to be tempered against the fact that Ukraine is fighting for its existence, I know. But still).

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The fact that they couldn't do so right now, while Britain is the weakest it's been since the worst days of WW2, is indicative of just how toothless modern day Russia is.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

So uh, Strelkov went insane today and posted, i poo poo you not, a Harry Potter fanfiction

Its slightly better than fantastic beasts and a bit less deranged than JKR public speaking

Well don't leave us hanging, give us a link!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Dravs posted:

I was thinking how some wars all have names to differentiate them. I found some wars called things like the war of Jenkin's ear, the 38-minute war, the Kartofle war, and the football war.

I wonder what people will call this war in 50 years' time? Maybe something like the war of Putin's poopy pants?

Putin's Folly.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Karma Comedian posted:

I understand the sentiment but I don't think we should be actively hoping for a Ukrainian invasion of Moscow

All joking aside, me too. Attacking Moscow would not (unless somehow they manage to get rid of Putin in the attack) repel the invaders of Ukraine.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1640841908254588934
These people are loving insane, holy poo poo.
:nws: warning for misogyny

N/m, I'm just stupid.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Brotherly in the Cain-and-Abel sense, I'm assuming?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah, I think it's crucial to keep these people as big a spotlight as possible, because it's important to remember that it's not all Russians. Some Russians are trying to oppose this government and war by any means they can, and face personal hardship and persecution as a result.

Yeah - I obviously feel the most for the people of Ukraine, but these folk have it... Bad, also.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Icochet posted:

Probably just a burst samovar

Don't look at me, man. I was nowhere near the place.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Wow, the remake of Ace Attorney's taken a darker turn than I expected.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

As with right wing assholes and their "the left are all paedos and sexual predators", it's projection. That's what THEY would do, so they expect the United States to do it as well.

I'm still astounded that there are self-declared "leftists" supporting a capitalist imperial invasion. I mean, I get that Ukraine is also capitalist, ok. But in even the BEST faith reading, if you utterly divorce the ubiquitous anti-imperalism from basic leftism (even if you count rhetoric only), all you could be is non-committal over the results. All they are doing is utterly undermining any confidence in leftist movements.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

BrassRoots posted:

The thrill of a bargain combined with addiction. Sounds like a hell of a thrill to me.

Why couldn't he just stick to throwing car batteries into the ocean?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

tiaz posted:

crows are thought to be stupid in russia?

...yeah, that's a really good point! What's up with that?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

teen witch posted:

Update on Absolut: Absolut Bojkott. Swedes from the left and the right are pissssseeeeddddd.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/a/3EoQxL

Politiker uppmanar till bojkott av Absolut vodka
Politicians encourage boycott of Absolut vodka

I can't believe I'm holding with a position of ANY Swedish Democrat, but...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Disco Pope posted:

Did one of ABBA say something dumb?

Have you listened to any of their discography?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

I checked my mail.ru and lmao I have a mobilization order too. I haven't lived in Russia in 11 years. I'm not even Russian. Good luck with that

If ever there was evidence that Russia is scraping the bottom of the barrel, it's the fact they're trying to mobilize goons...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh, they oppose COVID-19, eh? In that case, they should be quite bullish on the vaccine programmes!

Oh.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ehhh... I'm not against the idea of whistle-blowers in general, especially re. the MIC. But not in this case, and I will agree this guy might be the most Guiteau-esque of the bunch.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ed Balls

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

What the gently caress does mentally executed even mean.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

https://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-50-55-blueprint-for-armageddon-series/

It's 14.99 US. But it's 25 hours long or so so it's a books worth of time.

Did this get published before he started going lunatic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

What do you mean?

Well, Carlin has of late been considered to have gone off the deep end, at least in the podcast sub-forum, for having in the last few years... Oh, instead of me paraphrasing here are quotes:

Sydin posted:

His (paraphrased) stance was basically that it's easy to look back on Japanese internment as morally reprehensible, but doing so ignores the unfathomable sense of fear and paranoia among Americans after Pearl Harbor, so can we *really* so cleanly say the people who carried out and supported internment were bad?

Besides the answer being ABSO-loving-LUTELY he manages to undermine his own mealy-mouthed bullshit by making an offhand comment of "Now you could ask why we didn't also intern German-Americans and Italian-Americans", a thought if explored even a little bit reveals that the truth is that climate of fear was exploited by those in power to pursue racist policy that ultimately benefited a lot of rich white people. But instead of exploring it he just drops it immediate and goes back to his "maybe the truth is in the middle" garbage.

I'm generally able to just roll my eyes at Carlin's politics and move on, but it was such an ignorant and reprehensible take I haven't been able to pick up HH since.

buglord posted:

scrubbing through this right now. seemed like typical carlin stuff and was going to not reply because I figured maybe I didn't catch it and I'd probably get dogpiled. but then :stare: he said the holocaust had saved lots of lives and then I understood.

buglord posted:

There's the sort of calculus that was made where you can drop a few nukes on japan you can save a lot more american/japanese/civilian lives. Now apply it to the holocaust and how it being as bad as it is might have prevented potential genocides? He acknowledges that the holocaust didnt stop genocides from happening after but maybe its a silver lining by having the Big One so other genocides are less...big?

Samovar fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 21, 2023