Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HonorableTB posted:

I'm slightly surprised that cyberwarfare hasn't been a bigger deal than it has been so far. There was a big burst of cyberattacks at the beginning of the war but that seemed to stop pretty quickly and the last I remember hearing about the advanced persistent threats it was a news article about Ukraine tracking a hacker team back to their actual office and then launched a hellfire missile through the window and smoked them all

One article suggested that all the russian cyberwarefare research teams leaked like hell, and so they didn't have any novel exploits in reserve for government use - everything they discovered for years immediately went into various pieces of russian ransomware etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Drone_Fragger posted:

The swiss government are being tiny bitch babies about this and claiming neutrality means you cant supply arms to anyone in a remotely contentious war, and I know the government statements have pissed off a lot of arms manufacturers worried about swiss arms being unreliable or second rate because of this.

With any luck this will kill their military sales becsuse normally they have no issue selling weapons to war criminals, despots and countries using them to commit human rights abuses. Its genuinely pathetic.

They have an easy diplomatic excuse to maintain their 'neutral' stance and still ship weapons. Just say that Russia can't complain because according to Russia there is no war, just a "special military operation", and Swiss policy only cares about actual wars.

As far as precedents go, it's trivial for a country to avoid fitting in that loophole - just call it a 'war' when you invade.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HonorableTB posted:

One time playing this old flight sim called Fighter Pilot my friend sneakily rebound my Missile Arming hotkey to Eject when i went to go to the bathroom, I came back and triumphantly yelled MISSILE AWAY, FOX 2 (like bill pullman in independence day) and promptly flew out of the top of my f-16 and parachuted gently to the ground

Our strat for that was to unpause, press j to start jettisoning the unwitting friend's fuel, then pause again

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The problem with assessing paraguay numbers is that there are only few censuses of the population before and after the war, and none of them are reliable or particularly consistent with each other. Scholars vary from 7% to 70% deathrate largely depending on which ones they pick to believe

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Victis posted:

If there’s no meaningful response why not gently caress with US drones? What are they gonna do, sanction more

Clearly the US is loathe to escalate, especially on behalf of a flying robot

honestly, more Russian jets ramming into US drones probably works out a lot better for the US than for Russia in terms of replacement airframes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gath posted:

I mean, a bounty could be crowdfunded.... just dont put your name on it. FSB i dont think would like that...

This is good for #Bitcoin

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ups_rail posted:

so who blew up the pipeline?

had breakfast with the cousin he thinks US did it

Greenpeace saw their chance

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Drone_Fragger posted:

For reference as to "how many Abram's does the USA actually have", congress repeatedly orders them more tanks (because of the tank factories variously located in congressmen's districts and hence pork barelling :hogwilde:), which the Army is repeatedly begging them not to buy, as they're having to spend more of their budget on maintaining and repairing tanks they didn't ask or want, in a depot in the middle of a desert. I literally think at this point they could give away like 1000 abrams and the us army would be happy about it because they could move several thousand support staff away from doing nothing.

Though this war has proven that actively maintaining the capability to make new military vehicles is actually still important.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Philonius posted:

I used to be a fan of Earth, but the characters have gotten less and less believable in recent seasons.

Executive meddling, writers keep changing and whenever ratings drop they keep trying new arcs like the Terror War or Plague Year and then they just sputter out without a real resolution.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dr. Quarex posted:

I understand that they have the power of borscht and that is undeniable, but overall finding soup important enough to specifically demand is still surprising to me. This is probably like if we made the terrible mistake of fielding American troops without chips and salsa though

more like british troops and tea

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

Casualties do not equal deaths my guys, even if news stations consistently either gently caress that up or lie about it.

Nah, pretty sure all those ww1 brits are dead

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://www.theonion.com/disgusting-gyro-meat-magically-turns-delicious-after-mi-1819566593

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Warbadger posted:

The best part of the whole thing is when they finally made it to the final stretch of their journey right next to Japan in the Tsushima Strait they mis-identified the Japanese fleet as Russian, identified themselves, and promptly got sunk.

Identified themselves and sent their entire battle plan to the Japanese ship.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

seen this before
https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1588787397835509761
a good sermon, referencing Ezekiel seven, and equating Russia with what a prophet of God calls *consults scripture* "the most evil nation"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1644380862425833473

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lammasu posted:

I would be very reluctant to trust an intelligence source that was so cheap.

Most spies are paid stupidly small amounts but 50 bux is a new low

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HonorableTB posted:

just look at it lol

look at this piece of poo poo lmao

it looks like a boonie hat and i cant unsee it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I believe those were used as targeting beacons, eapecially by special forces, with the secondary effect that pilots who got shot down were taught to identify the correct turds and squeeze them in morse code.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

"A special assignment painting rocky targets."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lol at reporting someone to the forum cops for being a 'snitch'.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Samovar posted:

What the gently caress does mentally executed even mean.

Its what the stimpire does.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Found peter parker's alt

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

:whatfor:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

zone posted:

If they had a whole family of raccoons just living in empty tank engine housings why did they have to steal the one from the Kherson zoo? really makes one think

Uh duh, he needed something to replace those engines with.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CannonFodder posted:

And I have no idea wtf is going on in the upper right of the picture. I look at it and my brain just hard locks.

Working as designed

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Look, that's one man per 3 meters, an American football team has one man per 5 meters, strong Russian men can outfight wimpy woke American sports players.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Owling Howl posted:

Failed analogy. Assholes are necesarry, useful and inherently anti-imperialist.

Nah, assholes are colonizers

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zippy the Bummer posted:

don't they* have mothership drones that release a bunch of suicide drones, or have a prototype?

*someone

that's what's known as a guided cluster bomb

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

gives a new meaning to 'manufacturing consent'

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Fyi I've asked Jeff to start word filtering this to "in legally actionable fact" so this trick might not work much longer

so we'll be seeing classified information leaking in legally actionable fact discords now

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

weg posted:

This is slander against the noble orangutan.

Are orangutans even capable of evil?

Only in the pursuit of fruit.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Zelensky was a tv comedian who got elected as a joke lmao

that's kind of understating how surreal it is

He's a tv comedian who wrote and starred in a series where a normal guy's rant about political corruption went viral, and the disgruntled public gets him elected with over 60% of the vote.

That series went viral, which meant the disgruntled public got him elected with over 70% of the vote.

He's the only man this has ever happened to twice.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Randarkman posted:

Corruption in the Soviet Union was far worse than just that.

I kind of hate whenever this whole point comes out and it seems like it's kidn of saying "hey, the Soviet Union wasn't that bad". Yes it was.

Even so it is astonishing how the things the USSR were world leaders in (like crystal growth) ended up being raided and totally destroyed by modern Russia.

And this is with the USSR's greatest crystal scientist, AA Sternberg, getting kicked out of the institute he founded because he got into a scientific argument with a chemist who had connections.

Sternberg 'lied on his resume' by not reporting that he had been one of the engineering students recruited by the government to help build the Volga canal, which was suspicious because the workers were a hotbed of dissent and suspicious figures (the Gulag inmates government had used as forced labor).

Eventually someone even higher said "I have an important crystal project, get me your best man", the other scientist said "okay, but he's doing apartment construction right now", and the highup said "why the hell is he doing that" and reassigned him back.

Like this is a low loving bar to be less competent than.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 16, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

zone posted:

Stalin killed 60+ million people out of love bro believe us bro
Jesus Christ.

"it would have been morally wrong and evil not to invade poland alongside nazi germany"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Randarkman posted:

Zelensky, the corrupt and spineless comedian, was supposed to flee Kyiv as Russian arms made their glorious entry and the whole edifice of Ukrainian statehood came crashing down and exposed Western weakness and perfidity. That was the script.

Oh, that makes sense, most people hate improv comics.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Russia is getting pushed leftwards, the system works #ACAB

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The only way it could be funnier is if it turns out most, if not all, of the Russian army is already in Ukraine and these guys just have relative free reign to run around inside Russia.

Anabasis II

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

We should ban him from this forum

hosed up that he would doxx that nazi!!!1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The russian cyber estimate was based on 'wow if russian criminals have this sort of powerful hacking tools and exploits, imagine what the really good stuff the state intelligence agencies are researching and stockpiling is like'

Turns out it was exactly the same stuff.