Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

anime was right posted:

i keep failing upward at myu computer touching job and now im like in charge of major business decisions and its increasingly abstract. i am looking at numbers at spreadsheets and if i type them in a certain way entire teams get created or destroyed. what the gently caress is going on. help me

I'm being groomed for promotions but I'm getting apprehensive about them. Literally everything I'd be qualified for doesn't have any real responsibilities. Even the hiring managers give me a nonsensical paragraph when I ask them what the hell the job is lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Imposter syndrome is real. If you know your own fshortcomings just remember that's a sign you are actually aware of what you can do, what your weaknesses are and what you need to focus on. Anything you feel confident in will most likely actually be good.

Peter principle failures aren't aware of any of that and just cruise through life leaving wreckage 6 lanes wide until it potentially catches up. You aren't one of those (probably? you have this internal dilemma so I'm assuming not) so you'll be okay.

I appreciate it op ❤️

This is less impostor syndrome and more "I want a job where my boss can actually explain what I do and I have a tangible product of my work at the end of the day"

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Xaris posted:

lol jeff bezos opened a big giant whole foods market flagship in san francisco near twitter, and it closed down less than 13 months later

https://archive.is/tfor9

I was gonna do a trip to the PNW and the endless HOMELESSCRIMEWAVE stories are scaring my girlfriend. Are SF/Portland/Seattle worth going to or should we just hike in the parks instead?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Xaris posted:

if you are just a boring looking white couple, you are fine. actual individual-personal crime is about same as usual unless you are an old Asian lady or single attractive women. in other words, that is generally way overblown by the media. probably the worst you’ll experience some catcalling and (a little to a lot) verbal harassment but who cares that’s just normal part of city livin’

however, like I said, neoliberalism and rent seeking has destroyed most of what has make these cities interesting and even the displaced-playground-for-the-whales that developed during the VC unicorn era is also breaking apart rapidly

I guess it’s up to you but probably a day in each os fine but there’s a lot of great hikes you should do like Mount Rainer or Olympia National Park or Marin Headlands and stuff. would definitely focus most of the trip on nature stuff, the west coast is insanely gorgeous and has amazing parks and shorelines.

I’d also second British Columbia is absolutely amazing if you want to venture further north. Jasper Park for example is gorgeous this time of year

We were gonna take that sleeper train that runs all the way up to Vancouver. Good to know about parks though 🙏

Sounds like once you get out of the city it's still gorgeous to visit which is good to know

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

SourKraut posted:

You sure that isn't just, Israel finally getting its full, final revenge for the Holocaust?

IIRC the Israeli govt embezzled like 95% of the Holocaust reparations Germany paid so I doubt it

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

spacemang_spliff posted:

there's that cliche in business that people "don't leave a job they leave a manager" and lol these dummies actually believe it so of course they think people will stick around for no raise as long as they tell their employees "we see you we hear you" platitudes enough

We just put pay ranges on our job postings but we can't actually negotiate pay with people

Some manager said "maybe they shouldn't work here if they cant make the minimum work" to which I asked "why wouldn't someone want to make as much as possible at their job?"

I didn't get an answer

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Egg Moron posted:

I like it when they do the article about a trust fund kid doing a thing poor people normally do but on drugs

I honestly can't believe "I put vodka in my pussy for 2 weeks. Turns out it's a real bad idea, don't do it." articles weren't a viable business model

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

The kissass coworker has set up multiple gift drives for our bosses (4 in 2 weeks). I make $62k when my bosses easily clear $85

Please stop asking me to give money to people that make more than me lol

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

for loving what it's May

One got promoted and the other one is possibly graduating a college program soon*

* - you read that right. There's no confirmed graduation date yet

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Have you considered a pro of returning to the office is all the breast milk you can drink from the company fridges?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

webcams for christ posted:

UK needs to get on that hustle and grind mindset.
MANIFEST that colonial wealth that your empire is no longer capable of looting

https://twitter.com/business/status/1658755526581207048

Is the Lord Mayor different than the Mayor? Just wondering why this mf is covered in jewels

Edit: oh this guy is the ambassador for the city, which is a pretty normal thing to be

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Acelerion posted:

I'm not very hopeful about the future of work from home. The winds are definitely pushing against it now and it seems that there are more and more people applying for less and less openings - also I've noticed a major change with recruiters contacting me for on prem positions almost exclusively now.

I'm afraid it will all be clawed back eventually and we will all reflect on these ~5 years as that cool time we didn't have a commute.

Recruiter Here:
All the bullshit Dimon is doing is working: postings are down, layoffs are up, and people are desperate

The psychos who never wanted WFH in the first place are putting the screws to people so they can feel like their lives are worth living again

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Beached Whale posted:

The city of London is a one square mile legal entity surrounded by greater London, generally all the big international banks are headquartered there as it has special tax provisions. The only people allowed to vote for the Lord mayor are representatives from the trade associations headquartered there who predictably all have anglo business brain worms.

Lmao it's even worse than I thought

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Filling vacancies became a challenge. Within the industry, ZeniMax had a reputation for paying lower than average salaries, and convincing some progressive or moderate video game developers to move to Texas could be difficult due to the state’s conservative social policies. Since Redfall wasn’t yet announced, the studio couldn’t describe its details to prospective employees — a predicament that exacerbated the staffing issues, sources familiar with the process said. Arkane wanted to hire recruits with experience on multiplayer shooters, but the people who applied were by and large looking to work on single-player immersive sims.

lol

also the game has microtransactions planned up until a 2021

Totally stunned that the company known to pay like poo poo and was forcing everyone to move to Texas couldn't get any good talent

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Taima posted:

Right now anti-ad tech works largely because content providers are more uneasy at the political ramifications of hard-stopping people divert/skip ads than they are at the prospect of losing some high-competence techies who probably wouldn't bite at the ads anyways.

This is all changing. I would like to have this discussion again in a year or two because I think it will be a different landscape for adtech.

Why is Youtube gearing towards a hardball approach to anti ads? Why is Chrome trying to get people used to the concept of ad blockers becoming far less effective?

My firm belief is that at some point in the near-ish future, it's going to be hard enough to bypass ads (on major content serving platforms at least) that the vast, vast majority of people will either pay for no-ad or give up.

I want to give a lot of smiles to whatever YouTube exec made the call for random ads to be like 20 dB louder than the content I'm trying to watch

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Not a Children posted:

Ah yes the office stock, typically built to the minimum legal requirements of bathrooms, fire egress, and water sources and covered in the cheapest carpet and paint money can buy for the purpose of housing information workers to stare at their computers, will be converted to cultural centers

My company's actually doing this (rebuilding their campus to be a community center with lots of greenery and inviting local groups to hold events there) but we're a huge international company

Even then I'll only go in for 3 days a week at most when they get done restructuring and force us all back into the office

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

euphronius posted:

how is that infrastructure lol

You can't drive unless you have gas

Where do you get gas???? The gas station IDIOT

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Norton posted:

big foot and ghost sightings are through the roof yet the america public just SHRUGS IT OFF.

can someone currently working with the alien tech show something? no? just 2 guys claiming they used to have access to things? its a global occurrence and not a single country is providing any evidence? just impossible grainy footage that was "leaked"? we have detailed satellite shots of every inch of the earth and the best we can do is some easily faked garbage that shows nothing? why are goons so gullible wtf

If the ghost/bigfoot shows actually find everything itll be on every single major news station

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

skooma512 posted:

The thing with ghosts is, how is this even still a question?

Everyone who has ever lived, dies.
A lot of these people in bad circumstances or what have you, sometimes en masse in one place like in a war.
...so where are the ghosts? Northern France, Kursk, Gettysburg etc should be utterly teeming with them. Places that have been densely populated for centuries should be teeming with them.

All you have are cable tv grifters soyfacing at noises that may have just made the gently caress up. Like, it shouldn't even be all that hard to find them at this point.

I went on a date with a mortician once and she talked about how ghosts were real most of the time

She was really rude to the (living) server so I told her I wasn't interested

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

Who cares, though? Eternal student loans with an affordable (or no) payment beats missing other bills because you went to college.

Like there are literally people out there who took out mortgages thanks to the student loan pause.

My friend did this even though I asked him multiple times if he was sure it was a good idea

He's panic applying to other jobs for a pay raise rn

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Lacrosse posted:

Everything is so expensive now people must be pulling back on their purchases. I can tell because a bubble tea shop I've never given my email address to somehow got my email address to send a coupon deal to. It reminds me of early covid when a bunch of companies I had no idea had my contact info crawled out of the woodwork to tell me how much they care about me.

A bunch of friends were ordering bubble tea and I just wanted an unsweet ice tea. No frills, no sugar, just cold tea in a cup

It was $8.50 so I didn't order it

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Marx Headroom posted:

Once you have enough money you should get legal immunity from regulations like wearing seatbelts, abusing fentanyl, visiting the Mariana Trench in a trashcan, etc.

I feel like this is already a thing

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

If I had a billion dollars I would simply not pay a quarter of a million dollars to get crushed in the GroverSub

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

"my job is to find people who can fill our job openings" wow crazy we used to use signs that said HELP WANTED

Just walk into the office, grab a broom, and start your own scrums

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

millions of people go into work each day and report to something called a "scrum master" and these are supposedly serious jobs that matter. they have played us for absolute fools.

I'm taking a project management certification course rn. 50% of it is making process maps that are already automated and the other 50% is bullshit

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

euphronius posted:

there is no need to go down in person lol

just send a camera down Jesus Christ

sounds like someone doesn't appreciate in-person collaboration

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Sylink posted:

Nah it's more about saying they did something about lazy government workers. The richest Republican areas in Ohio have tons of remote work and they don't really want to get rid of it either.

It's important to know that Ohio is a trifecta GOP state and they essentially have nothing to do except come up with corruption schemes.

Yeah, Columbus became a huge remote worker hub during COVID since it's a huge supply chain center (10 hour truck drive to both NYC & Chicago) and theres also a huge amount of brain drain from the chuds in power doing chud stuff

I don't see them loving the only real avenue for growth in the state & tax population (remote workers fleeing more expensive cities)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Can't tell if I'm feeling like poo poo today because I had some wine last night or if it's the third day of smoke loving my poo poo up lmao

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Started making a doomsday econ post about how I smell smoke in my apt rn but I forgot I lit a pipe tobacco candle

Sorry for the false alarm, everyone

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

*drinks half a gallon of calorie-free sugar water that is impossible to achieve in the natural world daily*

"Why's everyone sick and feeling like poo poo?"

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

I didn't know what this game was so I looked it up and hoooo boy

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Glumwheels posted:

It won’t be banned in the US just EU like every other terrible food additive. Gee why does the us have so many cases of Crohn’s disease :iiam:

When I go to Europe I feel so much better, less bloating and less symptoms. When I come back I feel like garbage and no we don’t eat junk or have junk food at home. The food in the US is filled with poison.

The most depressing thing coming back from Europe is having the wall of stale grease from all the slop restaurants hit you when you get off the plane

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

sd6 posted:

I had to look up what a "one way interview" is, and lol

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

We tried video interviews once in my company and we :yikes:'d out of it immediately

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

euphronius posted:

beer is way too many calories

jsut drink something with no calories like vodka

I've been doing bevanda (dry red wine + mineral water) recently and it's a great summer drink

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Stereotype posted:

I’m glad that the American economy is so heavily reliant on the tech sector which is doing such great work innovating with novel products like “twitter but with Facebook branding” and “twitter except not functional” and “plagiarism robot”

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Rochallor posted:

They want you to just see influencers and grifters.

Of all the twitter replacements out there, the only one I actually like is cohost, which is actually a pretty neat platform. Naturally, no one uses it. Threads is DOA, I don't understand how Mastodon works, and blusky is invite only and run by the same guy who flipped twitter to Elon in the first place.

Tbf if I had a huge company with no real business model, I'd also force the richest man to buy my company for a zillion dollars if he put it in writing

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

How is this any different than ordering dominos through UberEATS?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

They're playing on that "ALL AMERICAN HOOAH HOOAH!" branding.

Hoping folks don't know that budweiser was sold to overseas owners years ago and harley davidson makes their poo poo overseas now.

IIRC everyone who thinks bud is too woke went to modello, which is also owned by inbev

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Weird how it feels like every industry is lead by complete psychos with zero long-term plan and everyone is shrugging saying "hopefully someone figures something out"