Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
yay new thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

https://stocks.apple.com/AhMVbRqT1SB2VOOLcG1tBOQ

Dow jumps 200 points as investors bet SVB shock will get the Fed to back off hikes: Live updates

Who said this was going to be the narrative of today?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Markets are all up slightly.

Where the gently caress is the blood?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Still meaning to grab an Enron sweater or something.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

and you want an ik
fuckin' monarchists

I thought we had Hoot already?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

3 so far with another 3 showing critical weakness today.

They gotta start a fight with another bank so they can show everyone else they're not a bitch.

It doesn't even matter if they win, but they gotta fight.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Woke Mind Virus posted:

less than 24 hours from bailout to layoffs

Well yeah gotta juice the numbers to justify even higher bonuses!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

spacemang_spliff posted:

I don't have money brains but I don't understand doing inflation but not including rent or food. Most people have to pay rent and everyone has to buy food. Not including it makes it meaningless!

Like if your goal is "how is monetary policy effecting people" then you have to know what people are paying for poo poo they need to live lol loving economists lmao

On their terms: Rent and food fluctuate for reasons not related to money supply. A bad crop caused by flooding doesn't reflect what the money printer is doing.

On regular people terms: They don't want to have to report all the gouging and rent prices going up is entirely the point of bourgeois society.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Nocturtle posted:

Matt Levine's most recent Money Stuff newsletter is frustrating. They essentially blame bank regulators for causing the SVB bankrun through inadequate supervision. They also note that since all US bank deposits are now effectively guaranteed by the Federal govt there is an incentive for bank executives to take even more bad risks. However they again conclude that the govt simply needs to regulate banks more effectively. There's no acknowledgement that govt regulatory oversight was systematically undermined by the industry's own lobbying efforts, or that there's no realistic prospect to effectively regulate the financial industry in the current political system. Presumably a former banker writing for Bloomberg isn't likely to be making those points but they're obvious omissions.

They do have a point that apparently the current US banking system effectively requires all deposits to be insured. Apparently rich people will threaten to knock over the financial system if they risk losing their uninsured deposits and will inevitably be made whole, so might as well treat all deposits as insured going forward. No idea if that's tenable though.

Didn't Goldman threaten to do exactly that in 2008, and that's why they got in on the bailout that they IIRC didn't even need?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

A perfect example is the fanfare around their big release yesterday

It's almost as if there are a huge amount of resources on standardized tests you could get a language library to access, rather than it reasoning the answers. Because tech guys are convinced of their own genius because of how they score on aforementioned tests, reddit is convinced that ChatGPT is alive.

Ya lol. An exam ultimately is a series of search queries, whether you direct it at a brain that might have retained the fragment you randomly selected or an AI who absorbed that fragment or has an active internet connection.

And it can pass a math test, wow so it can do what Wolfram and Mathematica and computers in general have been doing for decades. I guess the value add of the AI is that it can read the test itself (presumably).

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Justin Tyme posted:

the problem imo isnt that they're writing lovely book reports, it's that they're afraid of being wrong (and relatedly, afraid of getting a bad grade because of being wrong) so they write the most inane, safest thing they can think of

Yup, they say failure is good and all that but in school that never seemed to be the case. You just got a bad grade and had to pull it up by somehow getting excellent grade, hell they'd barely go over why what you did was wrong or how to do it better, you got a bad grade and now you're bad, on to the next thing.

Frosted Flake posted:

Despite receiving an F, the student went over his professor's head to submit it to journals of antiquity, who promptly reached out to the school asking what the hell we were doing, which led to the school asking the department the same question. The department kept a copy of the paper, it's passed into legend and is still brought out whenever a new TA or adjunct is pulling their hair out or despairing at their students' work .

In terms of how he strung together historical information, the quality of his prose, ability to marry form and substance, engage with the scholarship, show a grasp of good historical writing, ChatGPT might have an edge, but I think there's another argument. It's possible that we've been half-educating people, at least at the high school level, for a while. I've been told, though I don't know if I agree or not, that most students don't really learn these skills until their Masters. Paradoxically, it means they are getting into grad school on the basis of memorizing the answers to fill out on scantrons.

So, you know, rather than ChatGPT becoming human, we've turned undergrads into ChatGPT and given up on really pushing them academically.

We surely have been half educating people. You said earlier college are waiting for the pandemic to graduate but uh, poo poo's gonna get a lot worse. COVID bodyslammed the public education system, already incredibly weakened by neoliberal rot, and I feel it is in terminal decline. Admins seem to have industry wide just completely given up and accepted that they're just here to make sure bodies are counted so they get funding. Teachers can get full on assaulted and be back in a couple days, and the parents to the extent they're involved at all, just show up to fight over grievances and make sure the school keeps taking their monsters off their hands. It's been deteriorating along these lines for over a decade and there has been and will never be, any action to correct it. At least with healthcare ,they can still get employees because it can still pay well, but public education is going to be shattered for good within a generation imo.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

If you need liquidity
Don't ask the Swiss or SVB
Diarrhea *clap clap* Diarrhea

If you got a bank run
Fiscally it's like the runs
Diarrhea *clap clap* Diarrhea

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

euphronius posted:

I’m pretty sure the current SC would say death camps are ok if a president said it was for national security

I’ve accepted that I’m going to be sent to an internment camp when the US goes to war with China. I’m not even Chinese, but whitey’s not going to look past the last name

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Thoguh posted:

All the actually creepy as gently caress Epstein stuff exists and nobody gives a poo poo. Unless someone is in to something particularly weird you aren't gonna get much blackmail material by trying to release that some politician searched for Big Titty MILFs when the public stories about the Lolita Express barely raise an eyebrow.

Still lmao about Qanon's special boy being super sus with kids and paling around with Epstein himself and they're like nah.

Dale Gribble was such a great pastiche of conspiracy culture. They twist themselves into knots over the dumbest poo poo and miss the real conspiracy right under their noses. Could the government and media, which I already acknowledge is captured by XYZ interests, be lying to me about COVID being mild so they can make the sheeple go back to work? :thunk: Nope viruses just aren't real at all that's the answer. Could Trump be a pedo and grifting in plain sight? :thunk: Nope that's the lugenpresse denigrating the special one, the lugenpresse which is cool and good when it says what I want to hear.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I'm the slacker CSPAMMer who didn't vote in the KY, TX, FL, VT, and WV elections to make sure the Dems swept everywhere :(

Didn't even get elected myself like they've told me to do. Loser energy permeates CSPAM

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I'm personally looking for the inflection point to where going to work at even a decently paying computer janitor job just isn't even worth the fuel and time.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Nobody is going to be getting enough dollars for a wheelbarrow. Inflation will go up 10k% and wages will stay the same.

This. They’ll forbid it to prevent the dreaded wage price spiral, as in wages might rise. The 20s are when the oligarchs are going to try for all the marbles.

You would think at this time American would use their copious amounts of firearms and 3 ton 0-60 in 4s vehicles to fight back. You would be wrong, they are going to kill a bunch of minorities and women and call it a day.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Waiting for restaurants to start charging you at the beginning of the meal due to popular demand because the prices will go up by the time you finish.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

Its cool that other countries also have insanely stupid and undemocratic rules to magic up laws, just like America

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1636368220436176896

They have a rule for all-in lol :france:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

les :coolzone:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I just got an idea for a Command: Modern Ops scenario. Good excuse to try the new strike planner and time over target feature. You have a 10 minute window during deboarding of the oligarch airlift. Contact spotter CASTRO for JTAC support.

nexous posted:

couldnt just get everyone on zoom? jesus save a few bucks no wonder youre failing

It is, as always, more about the flex than anything else.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Pidgin Englishman posted:

What the gently caress is BAA1 lol

Pfft that strain is so 2021

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Centrist Committee posted:

I live near a touristy area and always wonder what all these overseas visitors take away from the abject decay and human misery, it can’t be what they brochure promised

In the words of our erstwhile attorney general and current traffic blocker Kamala Harris, my advice to tourists is: Do Not Come, Do Not Come.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

War and Pieces posted:

Philadelphia literally has the Gates of Hell as a tourist attraction.

https://philamuseum.org/collection/object/103360

In Philly do they argue about which Oblivion gate is the most authentic or whether to apply cheese whiz to the daedra gangs?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Fitbit got bought by Google at some point I guess and now is the time for the controlled demolition :getin:

Got an email saying they are improving the Fitbit app, by removing challenges and groups. Total doublespeak and it's clear that even if it wasn't their plan from the jump to buy and dismantle Fitbit, they're getting their lunch eaten by the Apple watch. Email had loser energy too.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I love it when I buy something and its functionality is subsequently eroded by a change in corporate ownership

Had to eliminate them as competition after all, very effishunt.

Nothus posted:

Has Google ever successfully assimilated a 3rd party product? Everything I can remember them acquiring dies.

Has Google ever successfully assimilated a 1st party product since like, Gmail?

They released the Pixel Watch last fall with "fitbit" technology in it, so I guess that was the play. They bought FB for the brand and IP and now that the watch is on the market, it's time to clear out the legacy users and devices.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

The subtext is now just the text. Constitutional Oligarchy with Market Characteristics only ever meant that those with correct connections got the perks.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Basic Poster posted:

market based fascism with McDonald’s characteristics

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

KillerFuzzball posted:

They rolled out an update that killed the versa 2’s heartbeat sensor, if it didn’t brick it entirely. You can’t roll it back, and all they did about it was offer $35 off of a new one. gently caress em.

This sounds like it should be a matter for the FTC but lol lmao

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Banks:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

Economy so financialized that half a billion in metal can be traded sight unseen and on inspection much later turns out to be fake

There are shipping containers with art sitting in ports that don't move, but change ownership somewhat frequently.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/29/arts/design/one-of-the-worlds-greatest-art-collections-hides-behind-this-fence.html

Industry standard :chaostrump:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Kreeblah posted:

I think you're the first person I've ever seen who has an IAPP cert. I've thought about doing a couple of them (CIPP and CIPM), but I've never, ever seen anybody acknowledge that they exist. Granted, my background's in infosec rather than legal (albeit one where I've worked closely with our attorneys on poo poo), but I'd still think that somebody out there would care about them somehow.

Have you seen anybody hiring who knows enough about the CIPP to ask for it?

Yeah these certs look pretty interesting and might lead to a remote job. Was the exam hard?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Isn't this basically how Israeli settlers work? They just take over a Palestinian's house one day and passive-aggressively and aggressive-aggressively live there amongst the rightful owners until they can't take it and leave.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

Probably going back to normal but with like 50% more systemic increased risk taking now that everyone knows "too big to fail" includes like, a larger regional bank

We find out in 3 years that this meant all regional banks started buying 10x levered inverse NFT funds last week

Look, we already know this is an oligarchy. Too big to fail was always going to mean rich people can't ever be allowed to lose.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

text editor posted:

Tucker simply understands what happens to his position in this society and economy when it gets pushed past the steady state it's been in for as long as anyone in America can remember.

Shapiro is too dumb to realize how fast he'd be thrown to the wolves

Yeah that’s the thing. This is a police state, but that only works up to a point. As society breaks down so does the ability to protect rich citizens, and will scale to what connections you have.

Like good luck trying to do police poo poo in a full blown shanty town.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Centrist Committee posted:

we need that officer down star but for landlords

You just use the same one.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I am ruling the conduct of the tenant as being within department policy.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Radirot posted:

there was another donation drive this morning and they were talking about how its good to be nice to one another amidst the turmoil. i think it was very swell. :angel:

They're right.

Which is why I donate to the regional food bank and to the Goon Fund. Not National President Radio lol

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it’s because they often harvest wild ones in places where it is illegal to do so, and will even kill amateur mushrooms hunting folks or unlucky hikers. years back there were articles about it in the news.

America is so great that if you go off paved roads and try to be in nature there's a chance someone is going to kill you for it, because it's their turf or "their turf".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

There's going to be like 3 banks left at the end of this.

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1638623327953494022

Yeah, that’s the main goal of Constitutional Oligarchy with Market Characteristics. Only the biggest will survive because only the biggest are supported.