Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I think this is what actually happened.

Yeah, lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I'm hungry now, thanks.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Substandard posted:

They tried to drop it to $28 but the kids rioted for weeks.

Yeah, that's when they burned down Notre Dame.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Yeah, a lot of hard work went into making this happen.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Xaris posted:

admittingly yes you're right, but it's hard to describe the nuances. police are weapons of the ruling elite, but they also can act in their own interest because they like to flex and beat some people. this was mostly a case of cops liking busting some people up yelling about em because their feelings were hurt. In this case the ruling elite were never actually scared of BLM, they were quite secure and some even went along with it (for appearances only), even NPR coverage was mostly "pro" (at least in the liberal sense of token racism) whereas it was very negative on OWS. This unfolded that way because there was not a significant class component to the protests (although there should have been) and the framing was largely one of racism/bad apples rather than exploitation and rich-getting-richer.

blm were largely over in like under a month besides some token sideshow thing like CHOP, whereas OWS went on for closer to a year (although the energy was gone by the tail-end). but yes they were both failures overall.

Eh. Wouldn't really say that. OWS was taken down by an organized assault of the DHS while the media was only talking about annoying drum circles, with BLM an incredible number of people were gassed and beaten by the police while the media pretended that BLM is actually an NGO that raises awareness and funds, that you can give money to in order to absolve yourself of your sins. It's not that different though one is longer ago than the other so the official position has had more time to replace what actually happened in the public consciousness.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Homeless Friend posted:

sugar dust i assume

It's just the CIA trying to build their case that Ukraine's chocolate king blew up Northstream.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

The difference was mainly that OWS caught law enforcement offguard, and the bigger & more widespread it got, and the longer it went on, the more the feds coordinated a militarized police response by the states, with obama's blessings.

Because BLM protests happened under trump, the blue-state govs had to militarize on their own (which they did, usually thru the state national guard units) while pretending that it was trump forcing them to do so.

The similarity was in democrats totally co-opting legitimate & populist protests for their own political ends; no wonder pelosi et al. went down on bended knee in gratitude after the BLM protests.

Just remembered how Warren claimed credit for OWS. Lmao.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

silicone thrills posted:

The eggs I buy from the grocery store have shells that crack if I barely touch them and the yokes are always a super pale yellow but my neighbors chicken eggs are always thick as gently caress and i gotta thwunk em to get em to crack open and the yokes are a really dark yellow. Massive difference.

Isn't that caused by the weird disinfection routines they do in the US?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I would appeal because of the sunk cost fallacy.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Kinda love that the CDOs this time are just treasury bonds.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

it is astonishing how well google poisoned the well of “wearable tech”

Literally wearing a google watch right now.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

The big dawg gets the biggest bux.

Speaking Fees for Former Presidents Top $750,000

Bill Clinton - $750,000
Barack Obama - $400,000
George W. Bush - $175,000
Jimmy Carter - $50,000

Didn't expect Clinton to rake in more than Barrack. Was that during his wife's presidential runs?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Toxic Tuesday?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

comedyblissoption posted:

marx was wrong you can just keep raising the price

Just a mystery where the inflation is coming from.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

SlimGoodbody posted:

So I had a fun thought that maybe someone who is not currently skullfucked with COVID, as I am, could verify. It is an open secret that the powers that be were not interested in presenting the full books on COVID deaths. As the pandemic wore on, more and more corners got cut, whether by regulatory bodies changing the definition of "COVID deaths" to exclude "people who died with both COVID and a fig leaf co-morbidity" or by red states who straight up stopped reporting them because it was politically inconvenient for them to exist. The numbers also didn't count the people who died for lack of emergency care due to filled up ICU beds as COVID related, despite COVID being the reason those needs were occupied.

So my suspicion is, if we take the average for annual deaths in this country from the years before the pandemic, and compare it to the annual deaths during the pandemic minus the number ascribed to COVID, we ought to see a notable jump that is yet otherwise unaccounted for, which would be especially interesting considering we probably saw significantly fewer things like car accident deaths because there were fewer people on the road during lockdown.
Yeah, that's kind of what happened. Excess deaths are about 20% higher than counted Covid deaths.

Of course it's not quite that easy since the US had one of it's largest expansions of its welfare state during the first year of the pandemic which worked in the opposite direction. That's happily dismantled now though, thank you Joe.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Egg Moron posted:

What the gently caress is Czechia

A miserable pile of lager

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

It's been some time since we had a Mastershakeman is always wrong post

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

..Is that true? I remember looking up the population of Ukraine and it went up right until the year of the collapse? Don't remember if live expectancy was dropping under Gorbachev.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

shrike82 posted:

it's especially striking that those are numbers for non financial businesses

Why is that striking?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

webcams for christ posted:

Mélenchon is right

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

You have to admire how Sanders of Tarsus absolutely defanged any potentially Revolutionary angle of early Christianity

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

thechosenone posted:

Will it even help much? A lot of jobs they need require skills kids aren't going to have, they're gonna struggle to get to work unless it is compatible with their parents commute/is in transit or walking distance, and their productivity is going to be lower than the adults they replaced. Not to mention that you immediately start having less highschool and college grads (which I'm sure has been up and coming for a while now) because they're already working.

And also a lot of them are still going to be trying to go to school if at all possible which will compete with available work hours. There are so many tugs of war here that even if they win this small penny pinch it just means a jillion more things blow up in their face instead.

You need those small child hands to strip the copper out of the hard to reach spaces in the wall.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Maybe the Federal Reserve should do what's necessary instead of oh-so-carefully slow-walking everything to keep everyone rich investors as happy as possible.

Seems to me someone should try a second button. I hear price controls affect prices?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

mistermojo posted:

I like to work on my laptop not even connected to one let alone multiple monitors so I can be even less productive

I browse the forums on my 4k screen, connected to my desktop and code on my lovely company laptop. As god intended.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

hobbez posted:

It's pretty disingenuous to pretend to not see how employment is tied to the situation with inflation, and no-one thinks inflation is stabilizing the economy or good for average americans. The economy is certainly caught in a contradictory situation where high employment = bad but that doesn't mean it isn't true to some degree

Like, we can talk about the Fed or our fiat currency or whatever but it's utter virtue signaling to just harp on reducing employment while turning a blind eye to the very real consequences of uncontrolled inflation

Hm, yeah that's ideology.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

hobbez posted:

I dunno, don't most reports show wages are rising, albeit hugely variably by sector? I personally have gotten about 20-30% increase in comp over the past 18 months or so (but this is partially because I am in a chronically underpaid service profession). The fierce competition for labor and corresponding wages increases over the past few years seems pretty well demonstrated

Yeah, don't think wages are what's driving inflation.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

They aren't and wages only started rising after high inflstion had become entrenched.

To be fair if the numbers posted earlier are true then wages did outpace inflation for the first year of Covid. No wonder it's over!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Palladium posted:

but are they in competitive with the aussies in the 'brown people minigunned down from chopper' ratio

They Aussies only lead in writing their score down

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

spacemang_spliff posted:

pretty much the whole of obama's presidency was a crack ping. man I bought into that poo poo hook line and sinker. I remember like thinking we were going to get universal healthcare and get out of dumb wars and actually start giving a poo poo about climate change lmao

never been so owned

At that time I was hanging around some Euro blogs and one of the old limeys correctly figured out that it's just Tony Blair again. Nothing new under the sun.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

took you idiot euros this long to realize it??

Yeah, the Saudis just negotiated peace with Iran. Bloods in the water.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Giant Metal Robot posted:

Can we privatize all the roads and use the money to buy all the tracks?

We can do one of those, yes

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

I could crack so many jokes about this, from greedy geezers to my next career move to a bank robber who's named Bonnie but this is elder protective services territory & actually pretty sad:

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article274092005.html

Isn't Pleasant Hill where John Dolan is from? Maybe he knew her?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Time to sell

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It's no secret that profits are sky high thanks to inflation.

Have you considered that inflation is sky high because of profits?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

that's nice, how do you know it's true though?

I asked it if it knows Suzerain, and how to win the war against Rumburg there. It told me to flank and use my abilities (it's basically a text adventure). Also should you slowly stir piranha etch? Seemed pretty hype on the idea.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Leftists are right

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Threat title (actionable)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

skooma512 posted:

Why doesn't China want RMB to circulate?

Not a numberologist, but seems like if you run a trade surplus and keep your financial markets regulated it's pretty much an open question how people would get the RMBs to use instead of dollars.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Correcting the death charts for the revealed preference for death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Zodium posted:

ai is by and large repackaging the social labor that mediates the relationship between capitalists and workers as capital.

They're pretty neat if you want to order a list based on vague criteria.