Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Hey what the gently caress is going on with all these banks I thought we fixed everything by giving out free handout money to strong smart venture capitalists who lost it all on a terrible bank run by terrible investors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
So I should be putting all my 401k into bitcoin right now, right?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Bitcoin back to the moon?!

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I heard there is a full employment recession coming and it's all the fault of quiet quitting millenials and zoomers?!

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Willa Rogers posted:

Another piece about the cancer-drug shortage:

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4043094-chemotherapy-shortages-push-cancer-centers-toward-crisis/

In other pharma news, both Merck & the U.S. Chamber of Commerce have sued the feds bc of the weaksauce drug controls that may or may not kick in for a handful of cancer drugs paid for by Medicare that were included in the weaksauce legislation that weaksauce Biden got passed by congress last year.

Nuclear medicine has forever had constant drug/isotope shortages because of the whole razor thin profit margin so only one company in the world bothers to make the stuff anymore thing. It loving rules we have no government subsidies for critical drugs.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

skooma512 posted:

The market will uh, provide.

The market is very poor at providing radioactive material fwiw

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

MickeyFinn posted:

I worked for a company that wanted to make isotopes and I got the feeling the investors were confused that we had to buy real things and put them into a real place and use real inputs to make the isotopes.

My understanding is the companies in america that are finally giving us a domestic molybdenum-99 supply are doing it through lame nerd neutron bombardment. We can't even build a loving reactor anymore!

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

the bitcoin of weed posted:

what the hell this is a whole new york times article about 5 twee high schoolers forming a no phones club its just some brooklyn bullshit

I'd rather just read a Raytheon JP Morgan joint piece on how actually stoxk buybacks are critical to the success of the average American than this absolutely painful poo poo. This new wave of libs is going to make us wish we still had all the geriatric nepotism elementals.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Economy so good all these lazy un-American unions are trying to sabotage bidenomics!!!

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Thank God we haven't been suffering hundreds of critical drug shortages for years now because of a pandemic and the government doing loving nothing and thoughts and prayers the free market will find it in the kindness of their heart to ramp of production of low profit drugs and build new infrastructure here.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Lol doctors now are just lovely search algorithms with less critical thinking ability. Literally all they do is beep book input symptoms into the chart and follow the flow chart until all the testing does their job for them. Just a bunch of clueless morons working up every differential and crying about how they are so swamped with patients well maybe if you dumb motherfuckers would stop ordering an mri on every single person with a headache you'd discharge patients faster and have less people to deal with but since you're just following a flow chart that doesn't take into account any context about the individual patient and the company couches it in cya liability coverage, you're trying to get a pituitary mri on a patient in the er who's got encephalopathy+dementia

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Griz posted:

Medicaid tried to claim that MRI for my broken arm that wasn't recovering after PT wasn't "medically necessary"

after a month they finally approved it and guess what, it's rotator cuff tear
orthopedics sends a referral for another 8 PT sessions and they approved ... TWO

I have an appt to schedule follow-up MRI next month and they're probably gonna pull that again

You can diagnose a torn rotator cuff without an mri, so it's considered a luxury and not necessary for your kind.

Oh medicare?! We thought you said medicaid!!! Right this way monsignor et mademoiselle, no prior authorization, no copay, no jumping through hoops of having to fail conservative therapy or get inferior imaging first. Right to the front of the line!

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Medicare advantage has been the quiet Medicare privatization effort that's getting close to completion.

Lol my boss at my old job is from western PA and loved to tell us how loving dire it is out there and how all rural health care has been shuttered so you have to go 4 hours to Pittsburgh for anything. This has been a trend for the past couple decades all across rural america. Health care is doing great! More hospitals closing due to unprofitability in my area and I keep hearing about places doing layoffs despite everyone still being critically understaffed thanks to the whole fucky wucky that was (and still is) covid.

Completely unrelated, I anecdotally noticed a drop off in quality of care and increase in deaths last year at my hospital.

Asproigerosis has issued a correction as of 14:20 on Jan 10, 2024

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Explain to me like I'm a democrat why there are record stock market gains but everyone is doing mass layoffs.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

PoundSand posted:

in response to Covid my previous employer did a pay freeze for 3 years and finally capitulated and gave us all a 2% pay raise in 2023 when people started leaving. it of course made us leave faster.

My wife had just hit tenure which came with a 10% pay raise but the uni worrying about all the lost profits of not getting to force freshmen to stay in a closet for 1k a month in their dorm monopoly immediately slashed salaries across campus by 10%.

I dunno where the idea of rising wages came from but in my sample size of 2 it didn’t happen.

Working at a hospital that was already below market value, covid absolutely wrecked. Turnover was easily 50% as everyone left to good pay jobs/get out of bedside care. After the hospital was hiring these people at quadruple rate as a traveler, they finally did a significant pay raise adjustment. Mine went up I think like 20%? Though that was 2 years ago and now we're back on the well below inflation for the annual raises. Health care is quite an outlier, but I think the overall theme of panicked wage increases because of the sudden loss of labor during covid and now they want to claw it all back because the record profits have slowed down is the explanation. The rising wages is just a reference to 2-3 years ago lmao.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Not pharma companies but BIOTECH DISRUPTORRRRRZZZZZ

That MRI idea is so braindead stupid that I had to look her up to see if she had any health science experience at all (and she does). False positives are a potentially addressable issue by new tech but the problem isn't underutilization of medical imaging, it's that MRIs are fuckoff huge magnets cooled by liquid helium that are used for a thousand different imaging purposes in any given facility. There's no conceivable way to scale up cancer imaging by even 5x let alone 100x if your starting point is "give them an MRI"

It's absolutely someone that only knows cancer is bad and you get mri for cancer so obviously everyone get mri.

People said this poo poo with CT and it doesn't work. People said this with PET and it doesn't work. MRI is far more complicated than PET or CT. This is honestly one of those things so stupid and out of touch I don't even know where to begin. Bonus points for the meaningless throw in of AI (this poo poo has also been paraded for decades and the fact that I still haven't heard anything about a commercial product tells me everything I need to know about AI taking over radiology reads)

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Laser targeted despair algorithm feed jfc

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Real hurthling! posted:

you know they still come out even if you arent at the hospital

I've mentioned before, but the complete loss of all prenatal care across huge swathes of America is going to be great for people that enjoy the death and suffering of women.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
You know, I kinda wish we had the neocons back so they could be evicerating the loving awful democrat recession instead of the fuckhead bigots that want to know everything about the genitals of immigrants or what the gently caress ever.

I miss you George come back baby we need that beautiful economy of yours.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
No I want neocons that pump the economy and give us big beautiful bubbles, not lovely neocons that obliterate the economy with contractor handouts.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

genericnick posted:

They never left, like half the Russia gate psychos in the Demokkkrat party worked for AEI at one point.

Democrats are probably working up the courage to have biden Havana ray'd to death so they can emergency put halley on the ballot.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Vox Nihili posted:

medical professionals bounce in and out of insurance networks all the time now, it owns

half the time I go to the dentist it's in-network, half the time it's not, like rolling dice

policymakers basically expect you to phone all of your providers every January 1 to check

It loving rules, insurance companies just change what drugs they cover at any time so one month your drug is covered, next month oh sorry they don't cover brand name anymore it has to be generic, then next month oh now it has to be brand name.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's neat that Canada sees poor people no differently than my vet sees a rat with an inoperable brain tumor.

You know how many times health care workers (and by extension veterinarians) see people go down the road of try everything/God will provide and all it ever accomplishes is maybe a couple more months of the most excruciating pain and torture ever and then they die anyway?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
The physiologic treatment of patients is very narrow in scope and context with regard to the systemic issues of euthanasia. Individual doctors are not out there scheming to deny or force people into euthanasia you pizzagate addled maroons.

Specifically, material conditions of society have nothing to do with my commentary on individual health care providers being 'cold and uncaring' in discussions of terminal conditions and the options.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Asproigerosis has issued a correction as of 20:47 on Mar 26, 2024

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

euphronius posted:

I 100% believe doctors are doing that. they are among the worst people in the world

Criminal/sociopath doctors notwithstanding of course. This is standard disclaimer.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
The doctors on these maple death panels are the same as the doctors in america that work for insurance companies and deny authorizations at 300 apm. They are not actual practicing clinicians and are a disgrace to the medical field (high chance they were forced into this role from loving up and getting bigly sued out of being allowed to actually practice)

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Casey Finnigan posted:

i don't know bro you can't really make any of the compassionate death for terminal patients arguments if the government is okay with prescribing euthanasia for non life threatening mental illness. It doesn't make sense. You can't put the two together

I'm not talking about the government I'm talking about specific individual doctors that are the active attending clinicians for patients. The government applied euthanasia is so far out from my wheelhouse I can't even see it from this bridge here. I wasn't even talking about it when first responding to pfc being upset about the vet not being empathetic enough for rats.

I'm just saying individual doctors that are the attending clinicians for patients are not trying to force death on their patients and conversely the terminal situation where people still want to do everything possible even though it is almost certainly futile is a very common and soul crushing experience for health care workers.

Why is the government involved with the determination anyway canada? Wtf are you doing, government shouldn't have any part in a decision about euthanasia unless it's some hosed up thing where the capacity to make decisions and consent are very blurred.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
In hindsight, I don't think I'm talking about what you guys are talking about.

Euthanasia should be legal and a process left to the patient/provider relationship and not determined by government obamna panels, imo.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Does anyone ever do these gdp numbers but exclude the fake fiat stock markets?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

anime was right posted:

its not just fake stock markets, its all investing, including housing markets.

the massive increase in housing prices is a huge reason for gdp "growth"

Oh...

Oh no....

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Wait, it's retaliation to punish someone for reporting regulatory violations to respective government entities before telling the company?

Everything I've ever read says you have to exhaust all options with your employer to resolve safety issues before reporting to government...

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

RandomBlue posted:

Put all my money in 3DFX and then the Voodoo 5 happened. Now I live in a carboard box.

At least your house has the sickest box art around.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

jobs have already been forcing applicants to do tiktok video responses to questions on applications for years now.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I love these $3k candles help me my budget is dying posts. Every single time it's immediately obvious people spending well above what they are earning for treats. There's of course a whole conversation on material condition etc, but like, why you got 2 vehicles and a motorcycle? Why you got an apple card? Why you paying streaming services?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I dunno I think having apple anything is an immediate indicator that you're hopeless financially and might as well jump on the credit card debt scheme.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Why they put the frie man in jail he didn't do anything wrong. Perfect commodity trades, very legal disclaimers.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Discretionary spending, such as groceries, are not included in the CPI formula.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
My pay has doubled since before covid so my broad assumption is that inflate has doubled everything since before covid.

I'm sure everyone else has gotten similar respective increases in wages across all industries.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
My point was that inflation is wildly out of control and the leeches in power refuse to let anyone think otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
What if someone made chewy, but for the premium consumer?