Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Infrastructure week continues mercilessly

https://twitter.com/rawsalerts/status/1640423514887864323?t=SLrHn9dgH64cZtQ6d4Wvzw&s=19

Just reported on this part hour, anyone around kelso, Cali should probably get the gently caress away from rail lines right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Mellow Seas posted:

Just to rehash from previous discussions, 3 derailments is an average day. There are about 1000 per year.

As I'm pretty sure has been pointed out before when this topic came up, The trend of the increasing number of rail cars in a train means that derailments are becoming more dangerous compared to years previous

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
uh some absolutely crazy poo poo is going down

https://twitter.com/GeoRebekah/status/1643781914132725763

https://twitter.com/GeoRebekah/status/1643781922022096898

this is the lady who whistleblew on ron for cooking the covid books back in 2021 iirc

memes kinda fire tho ngl

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
The bloodless ghouls are attempting to make taking bribes from billionaires who love Nazis a bipartisan consensus

https://twitter.com/MarkPaoletta/status/1645104294775930880?t=ii77-u0O1xx0Ku0b0wyOPw&s=19

As an amusing postscript, Harlan does not keep his Nazi memorabilia in his Garden of Evil

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Right, to be clear I'm not saying Jeffries is owned by Harlan Crow too, I'm saying the bloodless ghouls are trying to launder crow's freakishness as bipartisan

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/ohshidt/status/1652753881137397760

this is a deeply, deeply sick country. I just cannot begin to imagine the mindset that would lead you to taking shots at someone fishing hundreds of feet away

And bullshit " we've had things go missing " even if that was true you're going to deprive someone of their life for that?

Honestly I'm not even anti-gun, but I have no idea how you deal with the insanely psychotic mindset of conservatives that every second of real life is kill or be killed

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Gyges posted:

I think he was just shooting into the air for warning shots. Still psychotic as all gently caress, but slightly less than everyone being lucky that Gary is a bad shot.

Still, his good friend Ron is right there, everyone is holding fishing poles, and everyone seems to know who he is. Maybe Gary has some vision issues to go along with his mental issues.

"warning shots" in and of themselves are profoundly unsafe and proof of a complete lack of familiarity with firearm safety

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Killer robot posted:

Partly true. The Nazis' desire to genocide and repopulate all Slavic lands regardless of existing system of government had as much to do with communism as the people of those lands fighting for their lives against an existential threat. In the Soviet Union's defense, the alliance with the Nazis didn't have much to do with communism either, it was just bog-standard revanchism from a bog-standard imperialist state that had no strong feelings about what the Hitler was doing in his own empire and was absolutely positive the leopards wouldn't eat its face.

I'm pretty sure Stalin desperately tried to ally with anyone in Europe before doing the pact, but the liberal governments weren't interested

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
War profiteering has almost always been viewed as a profoundly immoral act. Lockheed Martin's wars it has profited from have almost completely been targeted at the oppressed and innocent of the global south

Very few people are going to give a janitor poo poo for where they work, because it is understood that they do not have the luxury of choice.

Your friend has no excuse in that regard

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Mellow Seas posted:

The real tragedy of our defense industry is just how loving well it works from an economic point of view, and what a waste it is that we use that economic capacity for what we do.

Anybody who lives near large contractors, especially ones that doe a lot of manufacturing, knows what I'm talking about. These are good loving jobs. In my region I think there is a real sense of egalitarianism that comes from having so many skilled, unionized blue collar workers, who are respected by their employer and have rights, representation, and proper compensation. We had a huge amount of layoffs at GD/EB at the end of the Cold War and while it didn’t devastate the area like deindustrialization did in other places, it hurt a lot. Post-GWOT spending has really made things improve here economically; GD has been on a hiring frenzy for years, and almost all levels of education and skill can have a good shot at a job there that pays a living wage.

And that's what happens when the government shells out the big bucks and and attaches conditions to using them like "use unionized workers." But we could be using these smart, hardworking people to do literally anything else. Pharmaceutical development. Building housing. Building transit. Community service. Anything. Maybe that would be a good argument for cutting defense spending - "we could be putting this American excellence to work elsewhere, and making the world a better place" or whatever. Kind of "defund the police" for government job programs. And I bet a huge amount of people in the industry would welcome that shift.

Or we could just call 'em all pieces of poo poo I guess

I imagine scabs are talented and well compensated too. To claim a sense of egalitarianism when the industry itself is predicated on the victimization of the global south is a profound farce

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
one of the reasons i dont post in dnd much anymore is because the moderation culture is extremely permissive about rampant rape culture as long as the targets are deemed acceptable.

the disgusting things posted about tara here have shown that this place is not safe for victims of SA and honestly for women in general. i hope you all are proud of yourselves for carefully cultivating one of the most accepting places to post "this alleged rape victim is prooooooobably a liar" on this entire website

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Vorenus posted:

Yeah it's important to remember that anyone who claims sexual assault is automatically incapable of being dishonest or wrong about anything, ever.

Also I really respect and appreciate the depth of nuance and critical thinking in all of this discussion. It's really nice to see an absence of the black-and-white "no shades of grey" thinking that too often drags down the quality of discourse.

I'm sure all of you completely 100% support Carolyn Bryant, right?

this precise attitude is instrumental to the perpetuation of rape culture

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 31, 2023

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Misunderstood posted:

Just because you don’t want to believe that there would be a political cost for shutting down the war machine doesn’t mean there wouldn’t be. Israel is really popular among older people, who vote at a higher rate. 60% of Americans approve of Israeli air strikes. I do not blame Arab voters for taking this stand right now, but they are relatively few in number and lovely Americans who reflexively root for the whiter team are far, far, far more common, and they don’t all vote GOP. (Not to mention that even absent white supremacist attitudes, an ignorant person could easily be brainwashed by US propaganda to think Israel is just.)

I am really worried that stopping Israel can only be done at this point through use of US force against the IDF, because Israel seems too far gone to stop just because of US threats to withdraw support (and they absolutely do not need our $symbol in aid right now to kill everybody.) Bibi is desperate to improve his popularity and nothing is more popular in Israel right now than genocide. Biden going out and demanding a ceasefire, or even threatening to pull the funding package, is probably not going to cut it.

the reason that the polling is so alarming is that arab americans are a big part of michigan and georgia's voting population, and there isnt a path to 270 without those states for biden

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Misunderstood posted:

He won 306 electoral votes and those two states together are 32, so he can win without them. But I know that’s not your main point and yes, of course it’s a concern.

I really doubt Biden is going to lose 75% of his Arab support while running against Donald Trump but it is clear he has lost many, at least absent a prompt change of course (and for many it’s too late already.)

he's lost 11% approval amongst dems this month alone! This isnt just a morally horrific stance, its a pragmatically braindead one!

you cant threaten people with trump to get them to turn out for biden when they are identical in policy about a loving genocide! its easier to not bother to go voting!

e: vvvvv i know you're just bringing up a possible counterexample but holy poo poo is that map peak "hillary clinton in october" energy

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 31, 2023

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/StrikeDebt/status/1735786864475357279

This kind of seems like a big problem for the lender industry

Seems like they may have hosed it trying to resume loans instead of just letting poo poo continue in limbo!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Aztec Galactus posted:

This claim seems to be made without elaboration or any evidence at all, but it does include an advertisement. I wouldn't call this credible

https://twitter.com/mstratford/status/1735753940849852867

the claim appears to be credible, but also, what are they advertising? The only link I found was a link to their website with a tool to make a petition to the department of education

if that's what you are referring to, I think its a bit disingenuous to call encouragement to petition a government entity "advertisement"

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

Do we have a thread dedicated to the ICC trial going on?

The Palestine Israel thread, probably

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I think all of that is correct. That is why everyone has been holding off for three months before they finally did this. Nobody wants to draw Iran into a bigger regional conflict.

But, I was correcting the fact that the houthi do not have any support among the Arab states. Just because a country wasn't actively involved in bombing them doesn't mean that they support them.

Man you gotta be utterly ignorant of how the Arab world has been reacting to Israel's genocide to think that Ansarallah had no support among them

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
a helpful post from the i/p thread about the so-called history of yemeni piracy:

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

it's been heavily insinuated and outright stated a few times in this thread that the Houthis have consistently practiced piracy for years (?), and that their naval actions recently have not been attempts to help force international hands to stop the genocide of Palestinians, but merely a cover for the opportunistic self-serving piracy that they want to do and have been doing anyway. So, I went to look up Houthi piracy over the years and this is what I found:

- A rocket attack on a Saudi oil tanker in 2018, minor damage, no injuries.
- A rocket attack on a Turkish bulk food vessel out of a Saudi port in 2018. Unclear if the Houthis were to blame, UE NAVFOR said "Non-state Yemeni actors", so I'm assuming. Hull damage, no injuries.
- One Saudi and two South Korean vessels in 2019. All were released, the Houthi movement releasing both South Korean vessels after confirming they were Korean and not Saudi, the vessels, crew, and drilling rig returned to SK. No damage, no injuries.
- A Saudi cargo ship allegedly ferrying medical supplies, in 2022. Saudi Arabia says it was civilian field hospital supplies, Houthi rep says they seized weapons and other military materiel.

As opposed to random acts of opportunistic piracy, it looks like the Houthis have only made any serious moves against Saudi vessels, for what should be obvious reasons. Moreover, far from being obligate pirates, the Yemenis are overwhelmingly harmed by piracy, mostly Somali in origin, on their fishing industry. The Saudis have also captured Yemeni fishing vessels and their crew, and the Saudi blockades of Yemeni waters have harmed Yemen's fishing industry to the tune of around $12 billion.

Maybe there's different info out there. I don't speak Arabic so I don't have access to those sources. If you understand the attacks on Saudi vessels as having an actual political impetus (regardless of if you agree with those actions), the Houthis are responsible for -- as far as I can tell -- exactly zero acts of "random" or "opportunistic" piracy. To say they're even engaging in piracy is to stretch the definition of that word beyond its breaking point. Nothing of what the Houthis have done in the strait seems random or opportunistic. Houthis aside, Yemenis seem to be overwhelmingly the victim of opportunistic piracy.

If this truly is the extent of their maritime aggressive actions, I think its truly disingenuous to refer to this as a pattern of opportunistic piracy when it seems to be clearly focused on anti-KSA actions, a country they were at war with

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

small butter posted:

Help me understand this. Why shouldn't the US attack belligerents who are attacking civilian ships and putting people's lives at risk? I'm not talking about the argument of getting Congressional approval, just the merits of attacking an aggressor to hamper their ability to launch these strikes. How do you stop them otherwise? Or do you just let them continue? Didn't the US keep issuing warnings for months now?

They shouldn't do it because these attacks will do nothing to dissuade Ansarallah but in fact cause an even greater reaction, as the state dept themselves noted in a press release

These bombings in fact seem singularly useless for anything but to do something for the sake of doing something. The us absolutely is not going to invade Yemen, and lobbing missiles back and forth is going to do nothing to lower shipping insurance.

So the US should not do these actions because they're useless to resolve the conflict

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Iran just bombed the poo poo out of American and Israeli bases on Iraq

https://twitter.com/AryJeay/status/1747003904645091439

Seems they think mossad was responsible for the terror attack earlier

e: yeah the American consulate was straight up bombed :stare:

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 15, 2024

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Are there any confirmations of this?

Irans revolutionary guards confirmed it

https://twitter.com/ME_Observer_/status/1747005279223337390

There's also a number of videos on Twitter showing some pretty gnarly explosions but I'm not eager to delve into them for obvious reasons

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Eletriarnation posted:

The conspiracy is the idea that the bills you like aren't passing because their purported supporters in the Senate aren't motivated or skilled enough to pull the right dirty tricks (or worse, don't really support those bills), vs. the simple truth that those bills do not have majority support and Americans will need to elect more Senators who are in favor of them for them to pass.

Do you have any idea how popular legal weed is in the American public

Also, the rich having class solidarity isn't a conspiracy theory, it's observable reality

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, "majority support" there is referring to Senators (and Representatives, just not in the example that sparked the conversation) - not the voting public.

I have not denied that the rich have class solidarity at any point, and I am not sure how that being true would contradict anything I have said. To be honest, that's kind of a fuzzy statement that feels not straightforward to disprove even if I wanted to try.

sorry, that second sentence was not addressed towards you, but rather the talk of conspiracy on the previous page, my bad for not being specific

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/John_Hudson/status/1748853056614060204

Ok this is just a straightup drill shitpost

And even if we take such a statement as genuinely earnest, how the gently caress is starting a military campaign going to allow for easier passage of trade in the suez?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Okay I think we're getting trapped in the weeds of the hypothetical of them just wanting to be paid. Ansarallah has been shouting to the heavens for weeks that they are doing this because of the genocide on Palestinians and they are targeting only ships abetting Israel's trade, and now of course the people who have shot at them.

They have been extremely clear about what their goals with these attacks are, and at this point I think it borders on farce to claim they're actually going for a secret payout.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
so the actual cause of inflation during the last 3 years was the blowback from the supply chain going to hell during the pandemic and the economic consequences of the war in ukraine right

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

The Artificial Kid posted:

When and why the gently caress did Americans all start saying "anaesteezha" instead of anaesthesia? I've noticed a bunch of americans doing the same thing with "aesthetic", turning it into "aztetic".

its pretty much how that phoneme is pronounced

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anesthesia

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Also there was literal video of him pretending to grope a woman while she was asleep

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

volts5000 posted:

I feel like point number two is missing the point of Trump's Muslim ban. Trump's ban didn't give a poo poo about what religion you practiced. He cared about where you came from. So it didn't matter if you, as an Arab-American, practiced Christianity or Islam. As far as he was concerned, if you came from an Arab country, you were not welcome here. Why does it seem like people are sugar-coating the horrible poo poo Trump did while he was president?

Because Biden reduced it to them being Muslims and dismissing their concerns about their family being murdered.

People tend to get angry at the person doing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

12 years a lurker posted:

Allahu Akbar is not a bad thing in all contexts but context matters and the combination of the location and the statement has an implication.

congrats on becoming the latest iteration of the new and improved calm hitler.

seriously though this is straight up bigotry and you should shut the gently caress up about this kind of poo poo