Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I started a new game of BotW last week because I never saw the fifth-guardian DLC and thought hey, maybe I could get to & finish that before TotK arrives (and also because I hadn't touched it since 2017)

o what a fool i was to think i could do that in time in "Ooh, Shiny Distraction" The Video Game :negative: I usually hate just bumblefucking around in open world games, so it's almost scary how much BotW manages to get me out of the proverbial box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I try not to watch trailers for games like TotK that I know I'm gonna get (more fun to be surprised, IMO) so maybe this's already known but I want more shield surfing, and also buildable ramps & boosters a la Death Stranding, and I'ma riot if I don't get it

horses're for losers

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

link's hair is really pretty, i'm envious of it and i'm mad about that :mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Fangz posted:

Just sell armour you don't intend to wear for money.

Frankly your armour inventory is poorly organised enough that pruning it improves the user experience substantially.
but but but what if...!!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Giant Robotic Enemy Crab Syndrome is a bitch

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i continually forget puffshrooms exist :negative:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

rolled credits today. that entire endgame was miles better than in botw and ermagerd the music. the quiet mood-setting background music of the overworld is fine & good but hot drat the wind temple + boss and final boss themes are gonna live rent-free in my brain for a long time

there's one thing that's bugging me though. I don't think I ever actually heard that dramatic music sting from e.g. the beginning of the Carbot episode. is that actually used ingame or what? maybe just from trailers (which I avoided)?

for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgj7dWdQr4w

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It's the same mechanics as a 6 year old game so theoretically it should be well understood by now, but when I tried googling around I only found a bunch of godawful SEO'd clickfarming websites on "how to make elixir in botw". (I hate the modern internet.)
you and me both. i tried looking at one point for info on effect durations from cooking ingredients, and just drowned in ai-generated dogshit instead of finding anything useful :argh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Diephoon posted:

new Pilot Wings game
a dream that will never be :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

my sibling in christ please rewind the icicles
that just got my head pierced by the icicles above the recalled icicle, personally. still haven't gone back to try again after that debacle

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

wind temple boss so was i the only one whose first guess on how to handle it was to ram the fucker, and totally ignore bows

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

jackofarcades posted:

no I did it that way too
ok good, i was starting to get a little worried when friends started :eyepop:ing at me

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

worked one hell of a lot better than trying to shoot it with the crap-rear end bows i had at the time, i'll say that much

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

bawk posted:

the tried-and-true method of throwing their rock hand back at them with the time power
gently caress

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

:five:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Khanstant posted:

i thought even the people who used puffshroom for sneak attacks were joking
it makes every fight such a joke that i try not to use it unless i'm in a bad way or in a gently caress-you mood

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

if i throw a weapon that's about to break is the final hit still 2x or does it go to 4x?

also unrelatedly, does the main theme actually play in game anywhere?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yuKMCPzokA

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

when you finish the starting zone
was it in a cutscene or something, because i don't remember hearing it my first playthrough and i definitely didn't this time

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

yes, did you skip it?
on my current save yes, but not my first runthrough. i just do not recall hearing it at all!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Final Boss - I loved how the UI was used to express the stakes of the Demon King fight. The little UI "pranks" like the super long health bar and shattered hearts felt like something Toby Fox would do.
I wish the fight was actually harder because yeah, the boss destroying my max health was a real OH poo poo moment - doubly so because I always go for 3 bars of stamina so I wasn't even rocking a full first-line of hearts when I first fought him

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

:argh:
https://i.imgur.com/4XMPGeM.mp4

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

snoremac posted:

Ganondorf's artistic design is very cool and menacing and without a drip of humour which is funny because it clashes with his minions being a bunch of cartoon cereal box guys.

He unleashes hell on earth and it's a stampede of bobolobolins going nyeh nyeh nyeh!
i like his design too but also this has been living rent-free in my brain since i first saw it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

PageMaster posted:

This water temple boss is super unfun to fight. It feels like it's badly missing a hokshot
to offer unsolicited advice, you tried fusing an opal to a weapon? got me through that (dumb) fight ezpz

I'm the one person in the world that liked that temple on the whole - i'm a fan of the environmental gimmick - but the boss still stunk

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

epic bacon posted:

does anyone else have the feeling of like "i'm satisfied with the amount of Zelda i have played today" and then shortly afterwards you find yourself catching up with this thread and 15 posts in you're like "i desperately need to play Zelda more than anything in the world right now"
yeah i've been trying to start a new game of Enter the Gungeon for a few days but

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Motherfuckers, they fooled me with the newspaper investigation into the chicken prophet

Well played

Electric Phantasm posted:

:same: them saying a talking cucco is loving stupid was some salt in the wound
i'm really glad i wasn't the only one to be bamboozled by that :eng99:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

lmfao

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mymla posted:

I haven't tested it, but couldn't you just climb up on a spike and stay there while afk?

as far as i could tell when i last played, yeah this will keep you on the dagron indefinitely

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Docjowles posted:

Yeah I can never manage to dodge it, seems like it tracks you. But, yeah, recall solves that problem.

son of a

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Docjowles posted:

I’m impressed you got that deep into the game without doing lookout landing lol. I did the same thing striking out into the world immediately but pretty quickly decided that there is no way the game is supposed to be this punishing. Like when you activated a tower without the glider did you just faceplant and die? How did you get 2 full stamina wheels without the glider? I feel like I must be misunderstanding you.
can you do towers without the glider? i thought turning the towers on so you can use them, and getting the glider, happened in the same cutscene

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i know i'd sure be confused if some weirdo pint-size twink appeared on top of my head after phasing through my chin

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Picayune posted:

I thought Mucktorok was very funny... the first time. After that he was a ballache, even with Zonai hydrants.
i'm starting to wonder if i'm the only person who just fused opals to magic weapons and cleared the arenas that way

now the gibdo queen, that was a ballache

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

agreed

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'll bet Link could do it though, just nom that thing down for a quarter heart. His stomach's just too dang powerful for a magic doodad
gives a 15 minute buff that does nothing but give him The Eyes

(e)

Blaziken386 posted:

when im high i become a Gaming Savant who can fight bosses without taking any damage but also I forget to pick up the rare drops and kinda just aimlessly wander around with my horse

duality
same

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

so what's the most holy

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm planning on starting a new go-round of the game - emulated this time for that sweet 60fps :pcgaming: - and had a sequence-breaky question: is there anything stopping me from getting the Master Sword rechargeable rock-breaker the moment I get the paraglider, a second stamina wheel, and enough skill bomb arrows to beat up ol' handsy under the Deku Tree? Doesn't seem like there is, but my memory is like a, whaddayacallem, a bowl with holes in

(e)

Docjowles posted:

Huh I never would have thought to track a friggin well, thanks. Always surprised how much stuff is trackable.
oh my god

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Luff posted:

You should be able to do that a bit quicker even, by not doing the handsy part
huh, good point. that said finding and getting to the goal without doing said part seems like an immense pain in the rear end, but then again it might be easier in the end so no harm in trying. Cheers :tipshat:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 19, 2023

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Coxswain Balls posted:

I really wanted that talking chicken to be real

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bismack Billabongo posted:

With a little more distance from having beaten it, I think I liked BOTW better as an experience and definitely liked it better as a pick up and play thing. TOTK was excellent at what it set out to do but it also felt more videogamey in a way that I’m struggling to put my finger on. I have no desire to revisit it, I feel like I wrung out every drop of content that felt unique or interesting. Too much of the activision busywork feeling I guess
i've seen this sentiment before, and i wonder how much of it might be down to the two games having very similar (main) world maps. i know i spent a lot more time in BotW just seeing the sights for the sake of itself than I did in TotK. maybe being able to fly over everything instead of finding land routes contributed too, idk

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

randomly clicked on this thread again and i'm sorry hover stone arrows ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

over two playthroughs i never thought of fusing hover stones to arrows, wtf

y'all, i think TotK might be good!