Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Charlz Guybon posted:

How does that in any way safeguard national security?

The same way yanking clearances for using weed in states where it's legal safeguards national security: not at all. The rules are petty and stupid, but they are in fact the rules.

The government literally forces contractors to force their employees to sit through online training every year, with powerpoint presentations and quizzes. They are very explicit that material being publicly reported does not make it unclassified, and that viewing it even by accident is a "reportable event" that you're supposed to let your clearance weenies know about. In practice, trawling WikiLeaks at work will get you 100% fired. Reading NYT usually won't, but if someone wants to gently caress with you specifically it theoretically could.

They won't realistically find out about stuff you view at home, but they routinely ask people during renewal or the process for getting a higher clearance if they've viewed anything they shouldn't without reporting it. A lot of folks like to avoid situations where they need to explicitly lie to the federal government, even when it doesn't involve polygraph sessions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Djarum posted:

Well Wagner isn’t technically mercenaries, it is effectively a private wing of the Russian Military. They are no doubt supplied directly from the MOD.

A real mercenary outfit generally buys arms directly from manufacturers if legally allowed or through arms brokers if not. Sometimes they are given additional equipment by the client but that is not the norm.

Would it be fair to call them paramilitary?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

FuturePastNow posted:

flat spin and smoking is 100% hit by a missile

I guess it could happen if the vertical stabilizer fell off, or some kind of hydraulic failure involving a blown out line got it stuck hard over. But, uh...

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jon posted:

You're right to refer to the assassination of a single diplomat as pretext, but I believe you're incorrect that imperial expansionist impulses were not the prevailing motivation.

The war in general, but Austria-Hungary was a moribund empire with a dysfunctional legislature that had the heir to its throne assassinated in a false flag attack with ties to the head of the Serbian intelligence agency, at a time when Serbia seemed economically ascendant and on the verge of a domestic arms industry. The Serbian ethno-nationalist movement wanted to expand; AH wanted to take Serbia down a few pegs before they could become a real problem. Characterizing the Austro-Hungarians as being motivated by imperialist expansionist impulse is...strange.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

PeterWeller posted:

I'm only being pedantic here because this is a post about accurately discussing weapons, but it's the barrel that's rifled, not the projectile fired from it.

To be even more pedantic, there are rifled shotgun slugs, since shotguns have smooth bores.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Kraftwerk posted:

This is the point I’ve been trying to make.
I perhaps misspoke when I said Russia never lost a war of attrition

lmao perhaps

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Kraftwerk posted:

Tactically the Ukrainians seem to love the Bradley so there’s that.

Where does the new US booker tank fall into this?

The vehicle is a third lighter than an Abrams. The gun by itself is 816kg lighter. The first unit to get it will be the 82nd airborne, with presumably a similar role in mind to how they used the Sheridan.

Edit: I certainly hope they plan to airdrop the thing because come on

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 19, 2023

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

mlmp08 posted:

There is explicitly not a requirement that the vehicle be able to be air dropped.

:smith:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Collapsing Farts posted:

... people found an effective and practical way of dealing with drones, which they haven't, yet. ...

I don't think we can assume this. Ukraine and Russia haven't, obviously. But the US and NATO states are presumably not sending over their very most cutting edge EW tools for the same reason the US has an export model of the Abrams. At least as far as predicting what hypothetical near peer conflicts will look like in the near future, I think we still don't have enough to go on.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 22, 2023

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Akratic Method posted:

I don't have a ton of faith in North Korean engineering, but most of their failed test launches seem to at least go up in the air a ways before exploding, so I doubt we'll be so lucky as to have Russian launch crews collecting instant karma for launching terror bombing strikes.

I remember leaks a while back about the CIA actively loving with the NK rocket supply chain, and potentially being involved in a number of failed test launches. This sound familiar to anyone else?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

spankmeister posted:

Git sucks for text though. Ever tried writing a paper in LaTeX using git? It's awful.

It's funny you say this, because text is all git is really meant for. It was just designed by the most programmer to ever program. It's a deeply unpleasant piece of software that the most humorless grognards treat as above criticism.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

LifeSunDeath posted:

also crazy is you can see the spray of gunfire as they're trying to hit the drone. like that's a little jetski type thing they're shooting at but can't even hit that. what modern warships can't even hit a small craft that's trying to get near them? russia's navy being a joke is an old joke, but also LOL.

What puzzles me is how few splashes there are. Most American warships have at least a couple token .50s for exactly this kind of bullshit.

Edit:

Orthanc6 posted:

Sinking the entire Black Sea fleet is a strategic goal, including the ships that are not being much use right now (ie: most of them) cause they can still mess with Ukraine's shipping. And losing the fleet is a political hit that is extremely difficult to sweep under the rug even in Putin's world.

It's also a long-term problem for Russia. Warships are expensive and take time to build [citation needed], so every ship lost has implications for their future planning.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 1, 2024

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Zopotantor posted:

So they still haven’t fixed that problem in the last almost 225 years?

loving lmbo

quote:

Finding that he had been beaten by such an inferior foe, the Spanish second-in-command asked Cochrane for a certificate assuring him that he had done all he could to defend his ship.[8] Cochrane obliged, with the equivocal wording that he had 'conducted himself like a true Spaniard'.[8]

Anyway,

Antigravitas posted:

Yeah, to be clear, if it's moderately dark outside and there are a few waves, you ain't hitting poo poo with a DShK mount on a boat unless the target is big and static.

Turns out I'm so stupid I hadn't thought through the implications of the video being through thermal vision. Yeah, you ain't hitting that.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 1, 2024

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

HouseofSuren posted:

That sucks to find out the f35 is a pile of garbage by an engineer who worked on it for years, it's a flying pile of garbage and I was really an engineer on it.

Some of which were the ones transferred to israel

Give it time and check back in with me to see how these are fairing in an actual war when that time comes.

You guys are talking about f16s and those are never going to see any actual combat besides being shot down by something they'll never see coming from all the AA and russian air superiority fighters

Watching you make up whole fiction about the capabilities of these things is wild.

Far be it from me to question a three day old account claiming subject matter expertise, but could you elaborate? Are you not counting air strikes as "actual combat"?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mr. Apollo posted:

Ukrainian Telegram channels are say that it was shot down by Ukrainians. Russian Telegram channels are denying this and are saying that they shot down their own aircraft. That's not a joke btw.

Wikipedia says 40 of these were made, but only 7 are "active." Later in the same article it cites a source that says Russia has "nine or ten." If the claimed two shoot-downs are real, that, uh, seems like a big deal.

For comparison, Wikipedia says the US made sixty eight of the E-3.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

fatherboxx posted:

Uhhh sorry this is hilarious
Cutting Russia from the internet won't make your elected officials, high ranking civil servants and dipshit billionaires less selfish.

I think the idea isn't that it makes them less selfish, just that it reduces one particular opportunity to express that selfishness. Like, in the way that keeps guns away from unstable psychos doesn't actually make them stable or non-psycho.

Not opining one way or another, that's just how I took the post

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Freakazoid_ posted:

Given how relatively cheap it is to make effective drones, perhaps that philosophy is being applied to the rest of their military? If it works for drones, maybe it'll work for tanks!

And who knows for far it'll go from there!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

IIRC The stuff on navy ships for killing small boats is mostly machine guns and 25mm. Modern Western CIWS isn't even usually a gun these days.

PHALANX uses 20mm Vulcans, can engage small boats, and is on every class of US ship but the zumwalts.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 7, 2024

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

haddedam posted:

Frontal assaults with chinese golf karts, MTLB, ww2 tanks and downgraded electronics on """""""newly manufactured""""" tanks does not scream "russia is an industrial powerhouse that is ontop of the ball and is ready and capable of easily wiping ukraine and baltics"

Have there been actual WW2 tanks? Oldest I've seen is T-55s.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ynglaur posted:

There are multiple, visually confirmed engagements and losses of Russian T-55s. It's not a myth in the least.

The first version of the T-54 went into production in 1948. The 55 officially entered production in '54. Gotta love Soviet naming conventions.

I remember that video of some Ukrainians with a box of hand tools and rubber hoses getting a memorial T-34 running. And that other video of some Russians catching sight of a different tank-on-a-pedestal T-34, panicking, and shooting the poo poo out of it. But I was pretty sure there wasn't confirmation of them being deliberately used in combat.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

steinrokkan posted:

The answer is that she's expecting to win the elections and wants to be seen as presidential and serious

Ultimately once elected, the Russians won't have leverage over her so unless she's a true believer, there's no reason she should abandon Ukraine.

Pook Good Mook posted:

It's to win the election. She'll undoubtedly turn her back if/when she wins.

I love this forum.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ynglaur posted:

You can also burn many forms of artillery propellant. I would not advise doing this, though.

You can burn anything once.

Is there an amount of heat that will set off C4? Like, if you like it with a burning piece of magnesium?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

steinrokkan posted:

Some gimped export models, yes

To be clear, they were never going to get the domestic version. No one does but the US. The Soviets did similar back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Raenir Salazar posted:

Also Ukraine was a pretty major arms exporter post-breakup so its probably safe to assume they replaced some things that needed it.

As demonstrated by the documentary Lord of War.