Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
In retrospect, it is pretty funny that the Endeavor deal was signed after Night 1. The whole shift in tone and reception doesn't feel coincidental.

Answers Me posted:

The production was a lot more tolerable than the last time I paid attention too, in terms of the camerawork and commentary. But I’m guessing both will go back to being so terrible it makes the whole thing unwatchable again now Vince is backs

I also noticed that the camerawork/direction was reasonably competent throughout; there were a few egregious miscues and they only got into "Let's try to trigger the epileptics in the audience" quick cutting during big exchanges...and that, again, it seemed notably worse on Sunday. (Most egregious I could think of was switching cameras on every chop when Sheamus had Drew in the ropes - there was that great angle where the action was foregrounded in the bottom left corner and the stadium/fans took up the rest the screen; it gave a sense of the scale of the stadium and you could see the crowd cheering and counting along on each hit. It was a fantastic shot, so of course they cut to it and promptly away from it every 3 seconds.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

projecthalaxy posted:

New cope: vince wanted ever so badly to put cody over but the villainous Ari Emanuel made him swear not to

I don't think the booking was changed. It just felt like a different show than the night before.

(Anyhow my cope is "Cody loves this, actually, he begged HHH and Vince to make him look like a bitch baby. He planted the chicken with a fan weeks ago, he knew it would get over.")

JUNGLE BOY posted:

every show for the foreseeable future should start with a 15 minute speech with hhh thanking the fans and saying that wwe isn't going anywhere

Reassurance gradually shifting into a threat.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Remembering the good old days, when a wrestling angle revolved around wrestlers wanting to wrestle for the company they were in

"I Quit" Match where the build is the two wrestlerssuperstars telling each other week after week that they can't wait to be out of here, and they're going to say those two perfect words the second they hear the bell.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

sorry to ruin everyone's jokes but I believe it's Jr. being charged

the government is trying to gently caress on him

That's even better.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

That DICK! posted:

they have a good annual event. cm punk is ringside, 30 of his friends enter royal rumble style. the last one who is still his friend wins

I wouldn't go that far

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
"30 posts in the WWE thread since I left the office? Did new allegations against Vince come out?"

That DICK! posted:

Casting call was for a “dated nazi type” and he misunderstood

"Even better."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

oldpainless posted:

Does peacock have any reason to keep them?

Their original programming isn't exactly setting the world on fire (though Mrs. Davis and Poker Face are a lot of fun.) Their film selection is pretty anemic - you'd think they'd have a lot more stuff, being Universal Studios, but I'm guessing a lot of their library content is tied up in existing rights deals. Their TV library similarly isn't the deepest, but they are the streaming home for Bravo series, which are big with female demos. Right now their live sports content is mostly stuff you can already see on NBC broadcast/cable networks, though they do have a pretty extensive Premier League slate. Currently, I think WWE's library and PLEs really are carrying a lot of water for them. If they restructure or book new streaming deals with their existing sports partners before the WWE deal comes up for renewal, though...

MJeff posted:

Man, there is such a massive contrast in the way Nick and Tony Khan talk about their television partners.

Tony: Promotion is under 5 years old. Media partner recently went through a major, messy merger where new management started slashing and burning existing WB/Turner projects. Seems to understand that the sports/live events TV rights bubble is going to pop sooner rather than later and is keen on maintaining a healthy relationship to ensure a solid-not-spectacular deal moving forward.

Nick/Shadow Vince: WWE IS PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING; WHAT, ARE YOU GONNA SAY NO TO US? I'D LIKE TO SEE YOU TRY. WE'RE GETTING $9 BILLION FROM UFC, NOWHERE TO GO FROM HERE BUT UP, BABY [lights cigar with stack of bearer bonds, extinguishes it in bucket of Macallan 30 year]

Gavok posted:

Anyway, the best MCU thing post-Endgame was Werewolf by Night.

:hfive: This dude gets it

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

probably Brays, given he sucks poo poo

They asked him to come up with anything that wasn't puppets "But creepy" or "Literally an Awesome Show Great Job sketch 'but creepy'"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cody wins the briefcase; the following Raw opens from CFG Bank Arena in beautiful Baltimore, Maryland with Cody in the middle of the ring and the MitB briefacse on a pedestal beside him. He begins telling a story about how HIS FATHER worked for every opportunity he was given in pro wrestling, and that by watching him as a child he realized that nothing in this business comes easy. He recounts the match from the Premium Live Event that won him this briefcase, this guaranteed title shot...which represents the easiest way to the WWE Championship possible.

Cody grabs the briefcase and leaves the ring without a word. Cameras follow him as he walks backstage, through the loading dock, out of the arena. Later in the hour we see that Cody is standing at the Baltimore Waterfront Promenade. He looks at the briefcase in his hands solemnly, placidly, and nods. He has no other choice. He chucks the Money in the Bank briefcase into the Patapsco River. Cody walks away without a word, smiling. His story continues.

(Later it's revealed that Corbin, now going by "Stinky Corbin", was already swimming around in the harbor and he rescued the briefcase. He's covered in fake seaweed and trash. He tries to cash it in weekly for the next two months; every time he gets kicked in the nuts.)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cody should slowly but surely add a giant American flag skeleton running down his torso and legs.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Seams posted:

we will get baby gronk vs the drip king at Wrestlemania

Babby Gronk
vs
Johnny Ace

"People Power!"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I'm more thrown by Vincent Schiavelli as the reverend/ref

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Watching the men's MitB match. Kevin Dunn is an Art Criminal, he should be banned from this business for life (ignoring all the other terrible things about him.)

I could be enjoying this! But every time two men start trading forearms I have to see it from 19 different angles in quick succession.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmfao, “we have to protect him from the rubber chicken memes!”

"We have to protect him from finding out the chicken is more over than he is!"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Just when you thought SummerSlam couldn't get any more in-your-face than having Kid Rock out there to kick things off by triggering some snowflakes:

WWE® & SLIM JIM® RETURN TO THE RING WITH RECORD-BREAKING PARTNERSHIP AHEAD OF SUMMERSLAM

Yes, the MTN DEW PITCH BLACK MATCH has been supplanted by the SUMMERSLAM BATTLE ROYAL PRESENTED BY SLIM JIM, and the corpo speak is out of control

quote:

WWE and Slim Jim first crossed paths thirty years ago with a series of explosive, in-your-face Slim Jim commercials, featuring “Macho Man” Randy Savage debuting the famous tagline “Snap Into a Slim Jim!” that has remained a hallmark of the Slim Jim brand ever since. The two global brands will tap into that rich history with a reenergized, multi-platform campaign which begins with “The SummerSlam Battle Royal Presented by Slim Jim,” the first of several custom integrations at WWE’s Premium Live Events. As part of the pact, Slim Jim will also activate at Survivor Series in November, in addition to Royal Rumble and WrestleMania 40 in 2024.

[...]

“Slim Jim has always been about crushing boredom and doing the unexpected, which is also the cornerstone of WWE and their memorable lineup of bold, in-your-face Superstars,” said Spencer Fivelson, VP & General Manager of Snacks at Conagra Brands. “We’re thrilled to be back in the ring with WWE to build on our shared history and celebrate the savage energy of today’s WWE Superstars.

SLIM JIM* WILL ALSO ACTIVATE AT SURVIVOR SERIES

*(which has always been about crushing boredom)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Slim Jim Guy is already more over than half the current roster, and he hasn't been on TV in 20 years

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Due to injury Roman will now require 16 minutes to walk to the ring before not having a match

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
There is still one vacant post on the proposed TKO Group board that has yet to be named by WWE, so there is a chance that this won't be Humiliation for Loser Hunter

But we can dream

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

1glitch0 posted:

HHH pacing in the TKO Group lobby, hoping to hear his name called for the secret wildcard spot on the Board of Directors when suddenly he hears over the loudspeakers, "IF YA SMEEEEELLLLLLL!!!!!!!"

Now, Dwayne has not formally accepted the post, and he's probably got a conflict that would keep him from assuming those duties in any meaningful way...but he's indicated he might be open to it, so Vince would prefer to keep that seat open, just in case.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Drakkel posted:

One of them always tells truths and the other always tells lies

Which makes asking "Sir, have you been drinking tonight?" that much more difficult

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I'm shocked that it took this long to get to Gulf Livery Cena

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

rotinaj posted:

I wish the nxt commentary posted above would go full dragonball z

“Oh my god, Bron Breakker is gonna send Von Wagner to the next dimension

:stat: "Von Wagner's gonna end up in the Home For Infinite Losers!"
:wal: "Well, the Performance Center is right down the road, so he won't have too far to go!"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

remember when this dude hit his wife in public?

edit: just remembered it was more recent than when vince was forced out lol

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 13, 2023

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Jay Malachi rules and I hope he has a very successful career but I hope his future doesn't involve getting buried with a poo poo gimmick in NXT until they decide they have nothing for him (because he doesn't have action figure proportions)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Vince at the top of the ramp, breaking a throne with a sledgehammer...a PORCELAIN throne

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

What's the wi-ckedly talented Adeel Dazeem doing in the Impact Zone

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

projecthalaxy posted:

Ari came in to make cuts, they proudly showed him the guy they've paid hundreds of thousands out of raw spite, expecting to be praised

lol

The funniest part is that this is probably pretty accurate, some WME beancounter going down the payrolls and saying "Who is this person that has a talent contract and hasn't been on television in...well now this can't be right."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Looks like SRS got worked (now-deleted tweet said he heard that Ali's release wasn't indicative of a larger talent purge)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

graph posted:

you know ive never understood this. is that her name, is that not her name, is it a nickname, was he so hosed up that's what came out, etc

Her name is Idina Menzel. Travolta has long been rumored to be incredibly dyslexic and/or functionally illiterate, and he spectacularly misread a teleprompter.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

projecthalaxy posted:

Elias good memory: that time Braun absolutely obliterated him with a double bass

Elias good memory: When I went to an NXT house show the week after Mania 32, the guy sitting directly in front of me was completely unengaged with everything happening - except for the 15 minutes when Elias was in the ring. For his entire appearance this guy was on his feet hootin', hollerin', "I WANNA WALK WITH ELIAS!" And as soon as Elias went up the ramp, dude was back on his phone and checked out for the rest of the night.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Ziggler made that BTE cameo a few weeks back, he knew what was coming

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

dodgeblan posted:

it's hard to understand people getting into wrestling through WWE in the 2010s

I'm taking sanity damage trying to comprehend it

I started watching circa 2009 (in fact the first episode of Raw I watched, at random, was the one where the big storyline was that Vince had sold Raw to a mystery buyer, who turned out to be...Donald Trump.)

Listen: It started as an ironic thing that my roommate and I watched while knocking a few back hanging out on Monday nights, and then it became an earnest fandom. We did eventually seek out better wrestling, old ROH shows and the like, but we were fully on-board for that terrible era.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

projecthalaxy posted:

SaveUs.Shane

Shane receives notice that his quads have been released as he falls to the ground

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Just remembered that there were supposed to be a bunch of tryouts yesterday. Wonder how those went.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
"Out the Mud" - very rude. We should respect the Mud's privacy and let them express their sexuality in time, on their own terms.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

boxcarhobo posted:

Pearl Char-Grill, and her gimmick is selling hamburgers (this is a post for nc people only, please ignore if you are not from there)

Charisma Cook-Out. Jaded becomes "The Tray."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

zetamind2000 posted:

hulk's new wife is a scientologist, in a year he'll be leg dropping xenu at wrestlemania 40, brother

I mean the wedding happened in Clearwater so I'm guessing they've already got him. Straight from the ceremony to the audit session, dude. Hulker breaking multiple E-Meters because he thinks they're strength-training devices.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

which members of the WWE locker room could bench a Scion tC

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I wouldnt be shocked if he got a minor name change knowing this company and Juniors

Brian Pillboy (alternatively, Pillchild)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

History Comes Inside! posted:

He’s gonna be BP2 and I look forward to his weird terrible future attempt at starting a company

Pillman 2nyer