Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
totally agree that you should take NHL players/teams' opinions into account when deciding who to root for. that is a consistent and longstanding opinion that I have, and just for the thread's knowledge:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

secret volcano lair posted:

didn't know these existed but i definitely knew "messier trump" was going to give me some results

clearly a fake photo, no one associated with our team would ever be associated with anyone unseemly:

”The New York Post posted:

In the weeks to come, the city’s chattering classes will be consumed with handicapping who’ll be editor-in-chief of New York magazine after Henry Kravis and Primedia get through selling it.

Nobody was talking officially last week, pending a deal as final bids arrived Thursday. The consensus is the highest offer is for about $55 million – coming from a motley team of millionaires and billionaires around Mort Zuckerman.

The coalition includes: Zuckerman, the owner of the Daily News and U.S. News & World Report; billionaire financier Nelson Peltz; mysterious money manager Jeffrey Epstein; ad executive Donny Deutsch, Miramax co-chairman Harvey Weinstein; and non-cash contributors Michael Wolff of New York magazine and possibly Jim Dolan, CEO of Cablevision.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

lmao jeeze that'd be a novel way to get a playoff curse. i wonder if it's mono, flu, or Covid

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 17, 2023

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Egregious late hit against old man Pavelski and Dumba only gets 2 minutes out of it.

Possession of the Puck:

The last player to touch the puck, other than the goalkeeper, shall be considered the player in possession. The player deemed in possession of the puck may be checked legally, provided the check is rendered immediately following his loss of possession.

the rulebook gives a wide allowance for hits. no one else besides Pavelski had touched the puck, so he's still technically in possession. that would probably be a major in the regular season but this is the playoffs. can't admire the pass

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Zoran posted:

The rule book doesn’t even manage to be consistent with its terminology here, implying that the proper time to check someone is immediately after the next player has touched the puck

that's the idea. it gives us all leeway to argue that all hits towards players we don't like are good, and all hits towards players we like are bad

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
the first two games last night felt like regular season games. not a lot of snarl. thankfully Wild-Stars more than made up for it and Oilers-Kings was pretty physical as well.

i feel like every game except Colorado-Seattle tonight is gonna be pretty intense given the rosters. the only one I think is for sure gonna be nuts is Leafs-Lightning. god help the players in there

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

kill me now posted:

The Islanders seemed to come out hitting in the 1st but quickly toned it down after it was clear that the refs were going to call penalties and that Carolina was going to score on the PP.

charitably, I would have to believe the Islanders played a veteran game and tried to steal one without going too nuts on the energy knowing that Carolina was gonna come out buzzing. I think they'll probably up the intensity and try to grab a split in the next game and really start being dirty in game 3. it's just kind of impossible to not play like pieces of poo poo in front of a home Long Island crowd

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Paracaidas posted:

Been a minute since I've seen credentialed, legacy media calling for frontier justice:

https://twitter.com/MacEngelProf/status/1648196545257283584

“Marchment justice” is one of the funniest and most terrifying things someone could call for lmfao. i’m gonna be glued to my seat looking for that in game 2

e:

https://youtu.be/PuAOiIxNASo

let me just knee on knee both of your legs at the same time

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 18, 2023

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
day 2 of the playoffs and we already have an op ed in a major paper calling for someone to get Bryan Marchmented. god drat I love hockey

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Shinjobi posted:

trying to figure out which is worse: what they're calling for or making the thumbnail a completely scrambled Pavelski

They're both pretty loving gross!

it's so goddamned funny. to specifically use the (literally) dirtiest hockey player that ever lived as what you want to see done could mean so many different things. will quote the post I made when Bryan unfortunately passed too soon of his greatest + most insane incidents:

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Bryan Marchment innovating by hooking Nieuwendyk's knee and ramming into the boards from like fifteen feet
probably the one he's most known for, and for my money the absolute worst intentional knee-on-knee in NHL history. Neely's ended up worse but I'm surprised Rucinsky was ever able to play again
A close third to the ones above. he tried to knee Mike Modano so bad that he actually missed and got both of Modano's knees
vicious intentional knee-on-knee on Doug Weight
another crazy rear end knee on Glenn Anderson. also an interview where he says knee-on-knee hits are just "something that happens to me, and I'm gonna go out there and take my hits if they're there
Almost killing Mike Gartner for high sticking him by full speed late hitting him head first into the goal post
an insane open ice late jump hit on Kyle Wanvig. doesn't even make sense to hit like this
brutal open ice hit on Mark Recchi. again, hurts himself even more than Recchi. almost breaks Recchi's neck
maybe my favorite hit of his. launches himself like a missile into Teemu Selanne and flies into the boards himself. could have easily injured himself bad
Barely missing ending Joe Sakic's career and flipping him over with a clipping low check
another near-miss attempted clip and hip check on Brian Bellows
Jump checking Donald Brashear and giving him a visible concussion through the neutral zone
a brutal blindside KO hit on Scott Pellerin
pushing Pat Verbeek's feet out from under him after Verbeek scores
sucker punching Rob Pearson
making Tony Twist so mad that Twist tries to Bertuzzi him
manhandling Guy Carbonneau and throwing him on the net
reverse elbowing Modano in the face
Marchment trying to end Bure's career with a clip, then Bure doing his Shane Churla routine on him
following and then elbowing Lubos Bartecko about 10s late
another hit on Selanne, this time late, and then cross checking Steve Rucchin in the face

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
I thought Wood was one of the few guys with juice on the Devils, so that's kind of annoying. I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to be on top of Igor every shift, which is honestly a bit of what the Devils need.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

secret volcano lair posted:

yeah we definitely need him to take more offensive zone penalties at the worst possible time that will help so much

the Pens' success last year against the Rangers was fairly overblown, but they did the best job last playoffs against the Rangers of crashing the net every single play and whacking the ever loving poo poo out of Igor. Even if they toed/crossed the line, it really paid dividends, and one of the reasons they did worse as the series went on was them not doing it as much. the best chance of success against him is to largely follow that plan. the Devils have a lot of talent and did a good job of possessing the puck in game 1, but I'm not sure they got a single rebound shot, and Igor saw most everything pretty clean.

Wood could also help by just providing a different look and giving a balance to what the Rangers are seeing. The top 3 lines for the Devils last night all kinda played a very similar game, so the Rangers settled into a consistent defense for it and largely neutralized any good opportunities. I think an underrated part of teambuilding is having lines that can do different things. The Kreider-Zibanejad-Kane line is pretty rush oriented. Panarin-Trocheck-Tarasenko is rush oriented but also "hold onto it and go east-west". Lafreniere-Chytil-Kakko is a Sedin-style cycle line. Motte-Goodrow-Vesey is crash-the-net-and-get-a-faceoff. The Devils had a little bit of stutter in their step defending last night at times because there's not too much of a consistent style.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Chad Sexington posted:

Wood should do an Avery is what I am hearing.

unironically yes. what's the point of that type of guy if he's not gonna do that? Everyone remembers the Avery Rule screening thing, but you can see in this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjZUmnyId3M

Avery is literally jumping on Marty's head, doing the ol' Chris Kreider "I hope I don't fall full speed at 25mph into this goalie--whoops!", getting in his face...that whole series and leading up to it in the season he was tilting the hell out of Marty. It played a big factor in the Rangers averaging like 4 goals a game in that 08 series.

I've said it before but I continue to be surprised that there aren't more pests in the game now that enforcers are basically gone. One of the limiting factors for pests in the past was that the refs were old school and would let actual enforcers beat the poo poo out of them to try and keep the game's temperature down (see McCarty-Lemieux). If someone today decided to play like an Avery, a Barnaby, a Tucker, Jarkko, Tikkanen, Claude Lemieux, it might have an even bigger impact than it did back then. Look at how our whole franchise freaked out when Tom Wilson went after Panarin. 10 years ago there was like the exact same situation with Carcillo going after Gaborik and it was handled the next game.

Marchand doesn't even really do it anymore, so it's like...the Tkachuks kinda, Perry kinda, Bunting kinda, Domi kinda. There's no one who's really world class at it like any of those guys above.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Playoff hockey owns even though I don't understand any of the strategy or know any of the players or even have a basic comprehension of hockey rules!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpcYAvvYLFI

Welcome to the best tournament in sports bud. your knowledge doesn't matter; the only thing that matters is the conviction with which you post, cheer, and hate

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

This guy’s kind of insufferable and might not be as beginner as you’re looking for but it’s a pretty good article from a couple years ago about overall tactics:

https://jhanhky.substack.com/p/improving-the-condition-of-the-puck

Yeah he’s got a couple of pretty good books too. Sometimes he (and a lot of analysts) overthink hockey. Most teams play the same type of thing now. It used to be that you would have pretty sizable differences in strategies/styles between countries, but since the fall of the Soviet Union, it’s harder to tell. Ovechkin has the most classic “Canadian” style of anyone in the last 30 years. Panarin and Datsyuk played a more classic Soviet game except for the steroids. Mitch Marner would fit in with the old Soviet teams but he’s Canadian as hell.

One of the things that’s core to the way USA Hockey develops players is to not really talk about systems but instead talk about “concepts”. I would generally think about that as you’re trying to learn. Mike Sullivan, coach of the Pens, helped further that and in some of his stuff, he preaches that, for example, stuff like “puck support” as a concept to learn is better than “this guy’s out of position in a box+1 defense”.

Generally speaking, you’ll have a better understanding of the game if you focus on concepts like “make our goalie comfortable and their goalie uncomfortable” rather than “this team isn’t executing their 2-1-2 properly”, since most teams and players now are intelligent enough to switch systems on the fly. Literally every single team will run a neutral zone trap if the enemy team is doing a controlled breakout.

The stuff in Jack Han’s books is good for some of the situations where the game gets more technical, like on special teams, but even then pretty much every team is doing some variant of a 1-3-1 with 4 forwards, and most teams are trying to defend it with some type of diamond shading towards who they think the most dangerous guys are.

But, again again, that is based on a concept like “don’t let Ovechkin shoot” and gearing whatever strategy towards something like that of instead of “let’s commit to a diamond”.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Call Your Grandma posted:

we'll see what happens but it does seem like injuring your opponent's key players was the secret ingredient past leafs teams were missing and now they've finally got what it takes to at least win a round hopefully maybe

it was a coward’s move to not fight Konecny earlier in the year but Auston dropping em with Stammer and now Dubas yelling at the fans makes me think this Leafs team might actually be different. that’s the poo poo they need

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Rangers had an embarrassing effort last game. no jam. also the crowds have sucked the last two games. maybe all of our rear end hole loud idiots went to Jersey?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

I can't wait for Gerard Gallant to be fired. It's gonna be cathartic and awesome. Dave Hakstol and Lindy Ruff are doing better than him :lol:

if we lose this series ya better start calling us disgraced former United States Army Lieutenant General Michael Flynn, cause we're going full Q!!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Rangers domination. Gallant back to being an upper tier coach. Schmid figured out. Arrests of Devils Hughes family trafficking ring imminent; Patriots In Control. Where We Go One, We Go All #noquitinny

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

fun fact: this is only 1 year before the Leafs' last playoff series win. When this picture was taken, they were about 2 weeks removed from losing in 7 in the first round to the Flyers

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i'm not sure who the Devils should start tomorrow. Vanecek looked like he got spooked and had confidence issues, so that's not a great recipe for game 7. Schmid has looked great, but last game was pretty rough. Seems like the Rangers think that the way to beat him is high glove--specifically the head side of high glove. He got beat a couple of times and wasn't really catching anything clean there. I would guess they still go with Schmid, but I share the feeling of "i have no idea what's going to happen". I could see either goalie winning or losing.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
updated list of What I'd Like To See:

Oilers--win the Cup
Leafs--beat FLA in 7, win ECF in 7, lose the Cup in 7 games (hopefully this means the cap goes up)
Panthers--would be fine with them winning
Hurricanes--gently caress em but who cares
Devils--loss + debilitating yearslong injuries to several key players. they're too set up organizationally for a big window right now. a Stamkos/Neely to Hughes, Hischier, or both would be good.
Stars--cool team, fine, sure
Kraken--gently caress all Seattle sports teams and fans
Golden Knights--don't mind em but it would be really brutal for Connor to lose in this year of all years

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

fancy stats posted:

yeah, i don't think anybody missed that

how could anyone miss that? it's right in the post.

i know the joke is that no one who posts in these threads watched hockey pre-lockout, but you forget how Devils fans were from about 1995-2012. they are too well set up to have a long successful run. It Must Not Come To Pass

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Yeah he was effective even without points. He had a big moment in game 3 when he tried to jump on Igor’s knee and purposefully injure him. Igor got a penalty from it, it tilted him, and the Devils scored not too long after:

https://youtu.be/fVOLHikIui8

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Meier tried to purposefully injure a goalie and has a history of being a dirty shithead going back to junior. crying about a legal and clean hit on that guy in particular is extremely funny, especially when he very easily could have avoided it had he been more skilled.

also lol at the Pens writer getting in on it. unmatched as a posting organization. total commitment to the bit

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

This is completely deranged when Meier has zero history of injuring people

i know you try not to Google anything 2018 or prior because of Michael McLeod, Ben Johnson, Reid Boucher, Scott Stevens, Doug Gilmour, etc. but Meier's had this coming for a long time. he only added it to it in the series.

Aphrodite posted:

Also Shesterkin deserved it so Meier reverts to good which makes Trouba bad.

yes! an argument I could entertain. don't let everyone be Pens fans/writers. we need balance

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
based on Pavelski’s performance tonight, Meier should go off for 3 or 4 tomorrow if he can stand being in fully lit rooms. Jake is owed an apology

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I understand not wanting to limit your scale and keep 0 as a baseline, but uhh ya. Good luck trying to figure out what is good or not based on random numbers.

i think they do good work overall but Dom and Shayna at The Athletic are in dire need of a designer. they consistently make some of the worst visualizations in hockey, and that is saying something.

T-Bone posted:

Hot Brains is a positive character trait now. Expecting big things.

https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1653782554619568133/photo/1

this has big “Chris Moltisanti in a neck brace” energy

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

eXXon posted:

I think it is basically saying that there are only ~15-20 defensemen worth a drat in the league and everyone else is within a standard deviation of replacement level. That's an interesting contrast to the player cards that say that Timothy Liljegren is worth $9M/yr on the open market.

the people saying that? Also The Athletic:

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

shyduck posted:

https://twitter.com/sportslogosnet/status/1653824573035429891?t=OJX7MTIkzPEO4aoynXPMIA&s=19

Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand this takes a psychotic level of dedication and obviously money (and this person seems to have money to burn), but you're doing it in the lower bowl in Toronto. It's tutorial mode

this rules. they’re like an evil Pungry

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

If New Jersey gets a league average goalie in the next 2-4 years they’re winning the cup lol.

it's basically this. It could definitely not happen because of goalie voodoo and they are legitimately tiny as a team, but they would be insane not to lock up Meier/Bratt for 8-9m. I'm not sure there's going to be a better use of that money. if they go out and get a Tom Wilson instead that would be...risky.

they should be a coinflip with Carolina to win the division and slightly favored over the Rangers for at least the next 2-3 years, and I'd put all 3 teams as threats to win the Cup. Having a bunch of shots at it with young guys in their prime on good contracts as the cap goes up only increases their chances of getting lucky one year.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/sportsnet/status/1656520625161158656?s=46&t=N0fz65wLEKglu9TyofS2Yw

god drat lol. some one needs to beat Pietrangelo’s rear end

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Propaganda Hour posted:

Maybe 1+ game suspension for that? If Player Safety had a spine of course

i dunno about a suspension. but son of a bitch needs his rear end kicked. nurse had a good one with Hague about it but you know that’s gonna stick in the craw of the Oilers until next game. refs should make sure he steps up and settles it or else there’s gonna be justified retaliation with the sticks

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
bush league by the NHL there. you can't whack a star's wrist in the last 5 like that and not expect to have one of your guys go. Nurse did the right thing. Hague was gonna go either way. they should consider themselves fortunate that Eichel or Stone didn't get it worse, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some of that happen more next game especially if there's a big lead. and it will be deserved

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
none of America should exist, but Florida and Vegas shouldn’t exist way more than even the rest of America. they’re the drains of America. every other state sends their biggest rear end holes there. they’re a refuge for the type of people who only want to exist in perfectly climate controlled spaces. the people that live there are a worse invasive species than the Burmese Pythons and capybaras they brought with them. most pro golfers live there or Arizona. truly awful places that no American should live.

having said that, both their teams are pretty cool, so I think that’s gonna be the finals.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Habibi posted:

Is that 4th line "Stepan" as in "Derek Stepan," formerly perennial 50+ pt player with the Rangers? (I've only sparsely paid attention to hockey since 2019).

*Googles*

It is!

*Googles more*

Oh. He lost his soul in Arizona. :(

he had very little athleticism to go around when he came up and was 22-25, was pretty much all really great instincts + hockey sense + skill. once he hit like 28 and lost even the little bit he had, it's been hard for him. good to see him learn to become a good faceoff guy and still contribute a little bit on the penalty kill and possession-wise at 5v5.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

That was also the day that everyone changed their display names to hockey player anagrams and I lost complete track of who was who.

It’s helpful if people keep themed avatars. I haven’t found a good JR face for you yet, but at some point the upgrade needs to happen

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

eXXon posted:

They look like crap for most of a game, get bailed out by their star goalie who also looked like crap for most of the last four years until suddenly going super saiyan a month ago, and pull some random skill play out of their rear end at the most opportune moment. Basically what Koopa Kid said but make it 9-1 now:

What lesson is there to learn from this? I don't know, but it will be funny to see GMs try to replicate whatever the Florida model is.

I haven’t watched most of the games the last two rounds so I can’t speak to it directly. but Carolina always looks way better on paper than when i watch them for whatever reason. last year they had only a handful of actually threatening chances in the Rangers series. was really weird. Jfresh and others are fairly skeptical of public numbers on them:

https://twitter.com/jfreshhockey/status/1660146094142025734?s=46&t=N0fz65wLEKglu9TyofS2Yw

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Shinjobi posted:

Robertson is clearly dealing with something. He's never been a good skater but even by that metric his feet have been replaced with concrete sandals.

I also want to talk poo poo about the ice in Vegas since it's one of the few locations I can do so. Stop being so hot outside Vegas, you losers.

Believe it or not, Vegas has been in the top 4/5 for ice quality as voted by the NHLPA the last couple of years:

https://www.nhlpa.com/player-poll/2022-23

https://www.nhlpa.com/player-poll/2021-22

Must have great refrigeration systems. Also probably helps to not have to share with an NBA team. Always seems like the ice at MSG is hosed when there are NHL + NBA games really close to each other. Not sure if it's really bad this time of the year, but it surprised me when I saw that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Rangers woulda won that series. drat!