Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

MikeJF posted:

When I say 'new' I mean 'this was the first time it was possible to see them by any method in Australia even though they were probably several years old by that point'.

There's a reason we adopted internet piracy so eagerly.

Doing battle with DS9's 11:00pm Thursday night broadcast that was constantly delayed by one of the worst variety shows on Earth running over time every week was a right of passage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Atlas Hugged posted:

so let's see how they stick the landing. It can't be worse than Picard!

Got some bad news for you about that

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

mllaneza posted:

I'd say SNW's best use of The Volume was in the space-MASH flashbacks. They had all sorts of crazy explosions and poo poo in the background, but the real area was filled with stuff like crates, control panels, tents and the like so it didn't have that obvious and terrible flat open area.

A couple of times they've had flat settings where the "this is a couple of people in a small dome" thing was fairly obvious but I feel like it simply hasn't mattered because Trek has some decent design work going on while other things using the tech have not.

I don't really mind if I can tell people are in front of a greenscreen style effect when you're inside a living asteroid, talking to an interdimensional alien or doing a space walk as alien ships fly by rather than say, empty desert #73 or bland industrial grey settings

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
That case was deliberate design since they meant it to be a cargo ship. Picard didn't have access to the Volume set tech, it was all built sets and location shoots. Like the La Sarena itself:

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

No Dignity posted:

wtf Alexander's arc is one of the worst and most depressing turns in DS9. He clearly does not fit into Klingon society at all and ends up as a ship's clown trying to find some way to make his father love and accept him, it's an absolutely tragic note for his character to finish on

I legitimately don't really understand how anybody could see DS9's version of Alexander as any kind of positive - Firstborn is the only Alexander episode I can ever remember being any good and DS9 completely ruins it.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Zaroff posted:

Didn’t he write a comic strip sequel to The Inner Light around its 25th anniversary?

It seems to have completely vanished online and any discussion of it seems... pretty far from positive

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
In general, we see a whole lot of entirely affable Klingons around even during the times of the cold war with the Federation so I think you just have to assume there's more to the Empire than violent conquest and domination the same way you have to assume there enough of a culture beyond Honourable Warriors to make their society workable.

From how the Klingon/Federation relationship thawed you would have to think there would be numerous ways to get into the Klingons good graces whether it be as protectorates or client states, etc. that aren't just getting conquered.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
It doesn't help that Odo's actions are quite literally swept under the carpet, off screen in a closet, never to be spoken of again, the episode after the occupation ends.

quote:

Behr, Hans Beimler and Auberjonois came to Moore to inquire where the character was ultimately going to end up. Auberjonois in particular felt strongly about this new development, feeling that Odo was being alienated, and they wondered what Moore's ultimate plan was, how was he going to get Odo back into the fold. Unfortunately, he didn't have one, he hadn't thought that far ahead

Classic Ron Moore

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I can't think of a single thing weird about Earth having planetary shielding decades after a war which specifically had an unprecedented suicide attack on Earth

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Picard absolutely rights a bunch of Nemesis' wrongs

FISHMANPET posted:

A funny thing about this is they did acknowledge that the Dominion War was happening, but they were just in diplomatic milk runs finding "allies" to side with the Federation against the Dominion. Which, idk if that's what your militarized flag ship would be doing during a quadrant spanning war, even if it is crewed by people that are more famous for their diplomatic exploits than their martial ones.

Berman vetoed them having an exchange between Picard and Worf talking about the loss of his wife because that would confuse audiences, so there being any mention of the war at all was a concession

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I think Nemesis still handily has that crown. I can see myself watching S1 and S3 of Picard again, Nemesis I could happily consign to history entirely.

For a series of movies as long as it is Nemesis really manages to be an aberration.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

dr_rat posted:

But yeah Wolf bring it up shows character growth, and would of been a good scene. It was still the wrong decision.

(perhaps the most generous use of "honourable death" ever)

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

MikeJF posted:

I still maintain that people tend to overstate its power, and in-show it's generally depicted as roughly on par with a Galaxy, not much more powerful. The Romulans like to skate by on seeming more powerful than they are.

At time of early TNG it seems pretty consistently portrayed as a technologically inferior but on raw power close 1v1 match to the Galaxy class when that was brand new, but as time passes it gets pretty rough for them, it gets to the point where they seem to be maybe on par with Starfleet's new tougher mid-range ships.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I think the only actually stated factor is late series I think after they're back in contact with Starfleet there's mention that they've been averaging about Warp 6 for the journey home, so they weren't red lining the engines the entire time leaving everything in their wake

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
It'd be legitimately tough to find a more soup brained opinion than "Parallels is the worst episode in all of Star Trek"

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That's gotta be some weird philosophical thing, right? Like Kurtzman allegedly being hard against alternate timelines?

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

Do you know when they said that? I'd be really curious to hear their thoughts on the episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAlnLnxeIOI#t=29m00s

29 minute mark if it doesn't jump straight there

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
As a non-NA person back in it's time I took the root beer thing as an "obscure and weird thing becomes a major cultural feature" joke similar to Worf being enamoured with prune juice without realizing it was just... the writers being a bit American :sweatdrop:

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

zoux posted:

I was mistaken, I thought he got offered Sutherland. Melbourne is Excelsior class, so blegh retracted.

There's a odd thing with the Melbourne that is never actually resolved on screen - there's two of them at Wolf 359.

The Nebula-class model in the BOBW was made as the USS Melbourne and labelled accordingly, but it's registry details are never legible in the fleet graveyard scene. Then in Emissary, they put those same registry details on the Excelsior that is prominently destroyed because they wanted to use the higher quality Excelsior model for their close up shot.

So the handwave reasoning is that the Excelsior was old and the Nebula a new ship intended to replace it, that Riker was offered.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Knormal posted:

Apparently the comics are revisiting there at some point, but the plots of all the current comic lines sound so stupid I can't imagine it'll be fulfilling. They pull in everyone from past series in a way that puts even Picard to shame.

That's pretty much how the novel universe worked until they turned into a full blown Star Wars style EU when the live action stuff went into it's extended hiatus

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

A 25th century take on the Luna becoming an Enterprise would have been cool, but the guy in charge was a self-centered hack so :rip:

Him saying "oh it's fine they're going to make a Titan-B and it'll actually be a successor to the Luna this time" is one of the few times I just think gently caress it, fine, we'll go with that, we'll just put your thing behind us.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
You could have a ship with the name but trying it with your hero ship would just not at all be worth the possible hassle

Stargate got better value out of it by doing a "Sir, we are NOT calling it Enterprise" joke at least twice anyway

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Feldegast42 posted:

Kurtzman for sure deserves it imho (but for different reasons than those chuds think I'm guessing)

It really is a continuing mystery why they keep extending the contract of the guy who has steered the Trek franchise into the strongest state it's been in for decades rather than firing him

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

zoux posted:

What's the biggest threat in the AQ after the collapse of the RSE?

Probably what they went with in various forms, the banding together of the various independent neutral/unfriendly minor powers and or balkanization of the remaining major powers.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Even Picard the one that stars an 80 year old didn't start out as boomer bait, it was a Picard in his twilight putting together a new young crew around him except they're all hot messes in one way or another, whether through being people who can't find their place in the world or ones whose lives had been derailed by their traumas

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Sir Lemming posted:

To be fair, if "actual acronym" means something other than "literally the first letters of each word in the title" then maybe you need to give a little more benefit of the doubt here.

I'll consider giving benefit of the doubt the day I encounter a unicorn who also uses STV, STE, and STP

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Olmos just going ham smashing every Enterprise model in the Ready Room, including the ones he wasn't meant to break

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Atlas Hugged posted:

Enterprise notes: Forge and Awakening were quite good. Daedulus was watchable. Observer Effect was a neat little bottle episode. Might be my favorite of the bunch.

The main thing I remember about this stretch is that Daedulus was the bad "origins of the transporter" episode and notable because Enterprise S4 did a mid season hiatus and that was it's return episode - the weak but steady ratings promptly cratered.

Just some really bad timing for something teetering on the brink.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Cutting away from the founding of the Federation just as it was about to happen was incredibly on the nose after Voyager already pulled that stunt with it's ending, it literally being a "computer end program" moment is just icing on the bad tasting cake at that point

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
You couldn't even really call TFF good but it's saving grace if anything is it simply does give you more of that TOS cast, character wise they're on point and there's a bunch of good moments in isolation even if the greater plot is bit of a whiff.

I don't think you can say that about Nemesis at all. That movie really is the nadir of cinematic Star Trek by a very wide margin.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

The hand off from TNG to DS9 was really good. About like 90% of the people who were watching TNG at the time tuned in for Emmisary, and then it just fell like a loving stone and never recovered thanks its first season being poo poo and it being SUCH a whiplash different show from TNG. The baton pass from DS9 to VOY tells a similar story. Basically everyone who was watching DS9 at the time tuned in for Caretaker, and then Voyager and Deep Space Nine just tumble down the hill together like Jack and Jill till they both end. Then there's a tiny bump in viewers tuning in to see what Enterprise is all about and quickly souring on it until it kills Trek on TV completely for about a decade.

A tangent but curiosity took over and I needed to know what those two episodes with the punishingly low ratings were

Turns out it was Voyager s5e21 "Juggernaut" (written by Bryan Fuller) taking out worst rating episode of the franchise, beating Enterprise s3e19 "Damage"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think Matalas said they discussed using the Bluegills at one point when coming up with the story for Picard S3

That was mildly amusing because the reason he gave for not using them was wrong, he just misremembered the TNG episode.