Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

Thanks for the reminder, your maple and pecan was like a religious experience the last time I got some. Placed my order, good luck!

I just ordered and got this before seeing your post, can’t fuckin wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Went to see recently touring again punk band Algernon Cadwalladr tonight and ended up mentioning this thread/the forums to the mate I went with. Was quite difficult to explain but in trying to do so (including mentioning goonfund and Camrath's lovely fudge) really realised what a lovely and rare little community we have here. Hope you're all doing okay.

(also i cant wait for my fudge)

E: Seinfeld is 10x better than friends but Curb Your Enthusiasm is 10x better than Seinfeld. It's a crime it's not better loved in the UK cos it's a reasonably rare example of American TV really doing quite typically awkward British humour really, really well. Larry David's always an rear end in a top hat, but I reckon about 60% of the time he's absolutely right.

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 14, 2023

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Friends is pretty funny. Seinfeld’s funny. Curb Your Enthusiasm is really really loving funny.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Friends is okay but I can never get over the fact that Ross, the largest friend, at no point eats the other friends.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
The Office is arguably the best sitcom of all time and that’s a hill I will defend to the death.

I think I got away with it BUT I DONT AGREE WITH THAT IN THE WOORRKKPLACCCEEEE

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah given that The Office and Extras are the only good things he’s done, it’s pretty clear that it’s Merchant who’s the genius writer.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Surprised there’s not been any love for Peep Show in this discussion. Probably my most watched show of my late teens/early twenties

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

And also That Mitchell and Webb Look, which has given us some all-time greats.

Robert Webb is an absolute melt, but the two of them worked so well together.

The dinner party planning sketches where they play a gay couple bemoaning having to invite James Bond/Shaggy and Scooby Doo are very underrated.

‘I’m not inviting a man called Shaggy. I don’t even know if it’s his real name or some hollow sexual boast.’

E: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eWXMJP1J-3Y&pp=ygUYTWl0Y2hlbGwgYW5kIHdlYmIgc2hhZ2d5

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 14, 2023

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

blunt posted:

Rule number 1 for trying to survive a new office job is resisting the constant impulse to try and change any of the processes for the first three months. Instead bask in the inefficiency and let it wash over you. Then quietly change things without telling anybody - that way you don't get assigned more work.

This is the way. Having worked in bars and other public facing jobs that tend to attract more ‘fun’ people, it was a shock to the system to enter the world of boring sensible people who don’t like drugs or talking about which MP is most punchable. They’re out there, the normal people. You might not meet a lot of them but they’re everywhere and they’re going to tell you about last night’s Strictly whether you give a poo poo or not.

E: side note, but don’t suppose anyone’s heard from Borrovan lately? We chatted a bit a few years back but he’s gone dark in the last year or so. He had a kid so that’s almost certainly why but thought I’d ask, he’s a good egg.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Goondolences, he sounds like a real top guy.

Unlike the city of London police who are loving cunts

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Paging fuctifino, resident weed expert and public bong smoker

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

fuctifino posted:

*vaper*

It's an important distinction, as smoking cannabis considered abusing the medicine.

I've sent you a PM Rookoo

My apologies! A far superior way to imbibe anyway imo.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I get Tom Scott videos and emotional clips from films I like cos I watch them when I’m hungover to cry

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
How do you even get into something like monkey torture groups? Like does someone mention it down the pub and you’re like Oo yeah that sounds fun? Do people actively seek it out? Like outside of the extremely grotesque and perverse nature of getting into something like that the logistics of how a person finds that path then decides to walk down it really do baffle me

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Frankly I never want to find out. I'd rather find out where the monkey torturers are so I can watch them getting their door kicked in and having a taste of the boots.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: if the people of this country weren’t such horrible scum, then baying mobs would be a fantastic way to sort some things out. I can never really take pleasure in an arrest, but a baying mob ripping someone to bits? That I can get behind

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Like paedo rings and monkey torture telegrams, even in the best of societies lynch mobs don't attract the best people.

This is true, but I dare say if someone chucked Johnson into the middle of Durham miners gala it could be fun?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I’m glad everyone enjoys CWS but I am quite happy to hear there are others who don’t. I get it, I just don’t think it’s funny past like, the first time you see it. I thought I was some broke brained freak

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I still think back to the adverts they had in the bus station in boro basically amounting to "don't give homeless people money, give it to 'real charities' instead."

Not sure anything has made me less inclined to give money to charity tbh.

This always pissed me right off, because if everyone actually followed that directive, which you assume the charities want because that’s what they wrote on a bus stop in big letters, most homeless people would simply die because they no longer had any money whatsoever. Deranged stuff.

Labour winds me up in a very particular way that I can’t put my finger on. It’s the person at the edge of a party who insists they’re good fun and always talk about how fun they are but as soon as someone gets on a table to dance they go ‘no come on we all like fun but no get down come on’. Like outside of their ghoulish politics, there’s something far more personally dislikable about them than someone like Boris or most of the current Tory crop. It’s like how Sauron is more evil but you definitely hate Denethor more.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

A lot of these charities seem to be made up of a bunch of sincere and dedicated staff who work very hard for peanuts, and then there's a different class of people at the top of the organisations who earn 6 figure salaries, all know each other socially and who utterly despise the ordinary employees.

This does happen (cough cough cancer research cough cough) but a lot of big charities get caught in this dragnet unfairly. I used to work for a major development charity and say what you will about international development charities but their CEO was on about 120k - it’s a lot of money but for being responsible for a globe spanning international organisation responsible for millions of lives, it’s pretty fair I think. What I’m saying is, be wary but don’t let it put you off all the bigger charities.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Congratulations or your new human, I hope it operates as hoped!!

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Sounds like a you problem roomtone you big PERV!!!

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah I lived in London for a few years and though I prefer Manchester (best city in the UK obviously) the idea that one of the world’s most vibrant cities is poo poo is just kind of laughable. You may not personally enjoy big cities but it just comes off as weirdly petty to say it’s just poo poo. It quite obviously isn’t.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Miftan posted:

This is all true except nobody was having a go at people for living in London, nobody has said you are morally inferior for living in London, they have simply laid out various reasons why London existing in its current state is to the detriment of the rest of the country in some way.

Yes, we could potentially reverse that, it's not a fact of life, but it is the current situation and nobody in politics within a whiff of power wants to change that so people complain about it.

Eh, intentional or not I do find that if you insult someone’s home, it usually comes off as a dig at them.

Also my town isn’t poo poo, it’s great and I love living here.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
What an evil oval office she is. I hope she dies an extremely painful death, miserable and alone.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Miftan posted:

Wrong. Your town specifically is the worst and I hate it more than chocolate oranges.

I had chocolate orange cookie dough two nights ago. Would you like me to send the address of the establishment so you can get yourself some?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
We need to be careful about summoning lisa nandy with all this t-word talk

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
The flying is part of the fun of travelling for me. Airports are interesting places and you can get drunk at any hour. Just going on a voyage around our globe is an exhilarating experience.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I work for myself these days but kept my Unite membership out of solidarity. Think I’ll cancel over the phone and give my reasons and rejoin if they stop melting

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Frankie Munez?

Absolutely underrated joke. Malcolm’s not in the middle! Malcolm’s on top now!

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Ah I thought this was a deep cut Always Sunny reference, there’s an ep featuring Aaron Paul and Bryan Cranston and the gang assumes Aaron Paul is Malcolm and he’s grown up to look weird.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I like living where I live but that’s probably because I live in Manchester, the UK’s coolest and most fun city.

The only real contender is Glasgow and if anyone tries to mention that tourist trap shithole Edinburgh I’ll be cross

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I only recently learned to drive and I have to say I really enjoy it, calling people schmohawks and jabronis for driving like cowards and all. I like when I’m coming onto the motorway and have to get up to speed and go VRRROOOOOOM that’s the best bit. If I’m feeling lethargic it always gets me going too. That said, no reason to drive in a city centre if you can possibly avoid it

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I dunno, whatever the av there’s a lot to love about a tankie rage spending $400 on little pictures for their posting enemies

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Therapy speak coming into normal parlance is great because among sound people it normalises therapy and talking about mental health and is also a great warning light when overused to let you know you’re in a conversation with an insufferable twat

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Crystal Thenis posted:

it’s harsh but the old ways just don’t have any place in our society.

they should be given all the help in the world to settle down and make roots within the UK, but the roaming gang thing just needs to end. they always have the continent and beyond for that.

What the gently caress? Take your ethnic cleansing assimilate or leave nonsense to, well, nowhere, just have better thoughts you turd.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Can’t even say we should force travellers to stop moving about and living in caravans and make them settle down like normal people and stop being thieving criminal scum anymore without the politically correct brigade jumping down your throat

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
If I was GRT and saw how most British people spoke and acted towards me and my people, you’re god drat right I’d go round nicking their stuff and generally causing those NIMBY fucks a hard time.

E: in conclusion, I hope someone empties a bunch of caravan septic tanks through crystal thensis’ bedroom window

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Crystal Thenis posted:

another subject entirely.

and genuinely disgusting to think the persecution of natives in canada by colonial powers is in the same bag as getting a group to settle into an area, pay taxes and send their kids to school.

So what should happen to people who don’t want to ‘assimilate’? You’ve still not answered. Simple question really mate.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Crystal Thenis posted:

“most of them”
“many schools”
“some scheme in spain”

come on lad you don’t have a clue like everybody else doesn’t, because this is a subject nobody can apparently discuss without the world burning down.

you’ve lived your whole life here, so have they. if you didn’t pay taxes and didn’t send your kids to school you would be arrested, why are they different?

im saying forget the stick and throw every single carrot, and you feel morally superior enough to call me a nazi or a Tory lol.

What should be done with the ones who don’t want to assimilate? Be specific and stop ignoring the question.

E: that doesn’t answer it. They don’t want the help, they want to keep living their lives as they have for many years. What should be done with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Crystal Thenis posted:

no, what do you think should be done with them?

Nothing, they should be able to live their lives. You don’t agree, so I’ll ask again, what should be done with them?