Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 minutes!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Did someone say MUSCLE WIZARD

i like the 2 cool 4 school helmet on the shelf on right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation
ironically a bigger party for keir might be his downfall

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation

Skull Servant posted:

I don't think this is a correct read of the situation at all. His brother was convicted of sexual abuse of someone underage. If the timeline constructed by others is correct, the guy Schofield was having the affair with was between 19-20. Certainly questionable and immoral (both the age difference and the power balance are issues warranting attention), but certainly not pedophilic in nature.

I'm personally more sympathetic to him on principle because I've seen this happen countless times with older closeted gays and lesbians. I can probably count on one hand those who came out at 40+ and don't end up having some form of relationship with a twenty-something year old. They're always embarrassed a year after and settle with someone their own age. They seem to want to pretend that they are that age and reclaim time they spent in the closet. Overall, it is a bit odd, but there is nothing inherently evil about it.

I'm especially concerned with the language and debate surrounding him, as a member of the LGBT community. The right has ramped up their attacks within the last year or so. Currently, trans people are having their identities erased under the argument that their mere existence around children is a threat to the child. While this isn't new, they have become emboldened by their successes across multiple nations and are now setting their sights on the wider community.

This issue, unfortunately, is wider than Schofield and there are legitimate reasons to defend him (to a certain degree), at the moment.

everyone in the media also just has to pretend / distract that pervy TV execs and presenters arnt also doing the exact same stuff to young women trying to make it in the industry also

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation

does jeremy corbyn pay for twitter?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation
rockets go on the feet so that’s why they’re bigger

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation

Darth Walrus posted:

TBF, even Bellingcat (which is very pro-Ukrainian) is starting to put out threads going 'oh hey there sure are a lot of neo-Nazis at the core of these much-hyped military operations'.

One of the guys running the anti-Putin border insurgency, for instance, sells the Christchurch manifesto in his online store ands seems to be fighting Russia because he doesn't think it's racist enough.

the guardian calling them anti-putin partisans is an absolute master stroke in the time honoured british tradition of getting liberals to support nazis when they’re useful

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation

fuctifino posted:

It's a shoop. This is the original, which still looks ridiculous

not pictured- that it’s all inside a sylvanian family house

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation

peanut- posted:

Unfortunately it’s a spat between Lloyds and the Barclay family over a holding company, The Telegraph itself is heavily profitable and would get bought as a going concern immediately.

maybe that ex wife of one of the barclays will get it as he’s refusing to pay her any of the hundred million divorce settlement

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation
how old do you have to be to be of the kiss era? i only know them because of family guy and even then i’m not sure if i’ve heard any of their songs

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation

Mega Comrade posted:

To be honest that's much more interesting than another remainer vs leaver debate.

Leavers fascinate me and actually makes me intrigued to watch this. It's like a very pink nature program

i was going to agree but then i realised that the whole country has been “brexit leaver special”
and they’ve still not put forward any concrete ideas, so it’s safe to assume there will never be a conclusion on the brexiteer brexit

at this point remainers are more interesting because what are they thinking now labour are now pro hard brexit and what middle road is even possible at this point? undo brexit is obviously what they want but how?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation

Endjinneer posted:

This is worrying. Nigel Adams pre-dates Bojo's meteoric arc by a long time and represents a constituency that would vote for a fox if it wore a blue rosette.
Why are all the rats leaving? What do they know that we don't.

if you want that plumb job on the board of the V&A you want to get it before labour get in and awkward questions such as “why?” might happen

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation

The Question IRL posted:

Also this point falls apart when you realize that Putin's Russia has far more in common with the Nazi's than it does Communist Russia.

i wouldn’t go that far, the nazis spent a long time dehumanising and eventually murdering their own population, russias a bog standard neoliberal capitalist country with a hard right support base like many others, it wasnt long ago that we were best buddies with putin and it’s billionaires

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation

Private Speech posted:

I find it pretty funny how people on mortgages in the news are moaning about the rates going up when they were historically low for years.

Paying 900PCM on a 3 bed house sure sounds terrible, compare that to the rent of 1600PCM and not getting a house in the end, uhh, wait.

i know 100% mortgages are supposed to be a signifier for a housing market about to implode, but really what option does the average 25 year old have to get a house

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation

BalloonFish posted:

I'm pretty sure they just appoint as many MPs as are bailing out to the two offices for minutes at a time until they're all out.

i think there are only three (?) potential offices you can resign into, so theoretically an mp that fights and wins three by-elections literally can’t ever resign until the next parliament

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation

feedmegin posted:

Why? Nothing stopping you being appointed to the same office several times in a row.

no that’s the problem the rules say you can’t

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation
the bbc morning news is defined by the “what the papers say” segment, so circulation isn’t really what’s important

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation

Kin posted:

I'm starting to get my finances in order with my second kid due in a month and just opened up a savings account with a 3.91% interest rate (Shawbrook if anyone's interested).

I'm just doing the long-term sums and wondering if I have them right.

Basically, we've put £10k in there, to begin with, and plan on topping it up with £12k a year every year until we retire (we're 40 now)

I know interest rates will rise and fall, but if they stay flat at 3.91% for the next 35 years and we keep putting £12k in each year, my excel sums say that when I'm 75, the account will be making ~£37k a year in interest. Does that sound about right?

I dragged that pattern out for another 25 years till I'm 100 and the annual interest jumps up to £116k per year.

If my kids take it on and continue to contribute to it in the same way, then pass it on to my potential grandkids, by the time they hit about 70 the interest will be over half a million per year.

Surely there's a cap to this, or is this basically how the rich stay rich by passing on generational wealth using compound interests (and possibly some sort of inheritance tax avoidance to speed it up).

I mean it's a silly long time to consider, but by the time the account is 115 years old (if my sums are right) it'll be making £1M a year in interest and be long past the point of it actually needing additional money put into it.

u.k. finance thread but basically open a vanguard stocks and shares isa and shove it into one of the larger US exposed funds if you don’t need it for years

don’t do the life strategy fund because you can do that yourself for a much reduced fee

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation

oxford_town posted:

broadly speaking yes, but you haven't accounted for inflation in your sums (and taxes if you're outside an ISA).

as Jel Shaker says you should probably be in equities for that investment horizon rather than a savings account. I also think you should probably do this in a SIPP if you're not planning to touch this until retirement.

yep SIPP is pretty good for retirement and you can take 25% out tax free at 50, but the caveat is you can’t take it out before then unless you’re really sick. also you put 4 grand in you get 5 grand in your account because of tax reasons

forgot to say get the stocks and shares LISA if you’re under 40 (just open it!) as the government gives you a 25% bonus on the money you put in that (4 grand turns into 5 grand) but you are then only able to put 16 grand in your isa allowance elsewhere

so basically max out your ISA LISA stocks and shares and then divide your money between the standard stocks and shares ISA if you need the money before retirement or SIPP for retirement (with 25% at 50 if you need it)

premium bonds are for chumps

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation

smellmycheese posted:

Appears he got off lightly. The SNP wanted to dynamite him

finally

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation

grobbo posted:

It just feels incredibly hard to believe that there will be genuine long-term consequences here - as opposed to Boris taking his turn in the dunce's corner for a year or two, then briefing an enthusiastic press and his allies that "the time is right for a return to frontbench politics" and returning with a flourish as if nothing ever happened.

Sure, Kevin Maguire can roar today that Johnson has ruined his career and condemned himself to eternal disgrace - but nothing's eternal in UK politics, and everything is performative.

if the economist mark blyth is to believed, johnson’s really struggling on the speaking circuit now and lucky to get >£100,000 per speech, whereas the going rate for a PM should be >200,000 (blair is an outlier and get much much more)

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation

i don’t think they do check backgrounds? they didn’t for me but that was many years ago

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation

serious gaylord posted:

The man doodled the nuke codes

wonder what he wrote on the letter to the nuke submarine

probably nuke my wife first pls, then moscow

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1670367307682422784

His dad can't bare to look at him, and his mum seems to have nothing but disappointment in her eyes. Rishi looks over enthusiastic in his tone deaf ways....

This is the best photo he had.

Going back to that Malin Bogue woman, I can see why the establishment press have mostly kept her name out of the media so far. It's quite a rabbit hole of connections.

https://twitter.com/WriterJackWhite/status/1549041739570106368

i could easily see the whole thing soon turning into a “russia did it” conspiracy by liberals as well as the right if that’s the way things are being construed

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation

lol so we did learn some lessons from covid after all

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation
that lettuce lol

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation

Her Dryer posted:

God that was such a funny month between this and the Queen dying, just an incredible time for content.

Also low hanging fruit but big lol at Harry and Meghan getting paid like 20 million quid to do a podcast and then doing 12 episodes where they didn't even bother to interview their guests and had someone else do it for them.

king poo poo

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation

smellmycheese posted:

So the Sub the billionaires paid millions to go to the bottom of the ocean in is a cobbled together piece of poo poo operated by a Logitech Mad Katz game controller lmao

https://twitter.com/ecto_fun/status/1670945751206117376?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

should have gone in the older brothers sub instead as that one has the official controller that came with the box

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation

NotJustANumber99 posted:

They narrative seems to have changed. That actually the sub most likely imploded the second they lost it. Which is a less good news story but probably preferable for those involved.

guardian are saying they got 40 hrs of oxygen left and there not time to lose!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation

kingturnip posted:

There's something very Westminster-y about the fact that people are querying Shaun Bailey's peerage on the grounds that he attended one of the lockdown parties, rather than the fact he's been very publicly racist.

it’s very important to lazer focus onto tiny things which won’t have any precedence

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation
that lady haven’t even left her town never mind gone to france in over two decades

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation

fuctifino posted:

I'm glad it wasn't just me. I watched that video three times, and I just got even more confused each time I watched it.

Here's another gem from tonight's QT

https://twitter.com/implausibleblog/status/1671978186521845773

this guy watched Benidorm and thought it was a real life documentary

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation

Mega Comrade posted:

AI is really really good at certain types of medical diagnosis. It's a game changer for stuff like cancer screening. But you're completely right. Instead of going with high quality academics we will just have an open bidding system allowing the worst grifters access to private records and a bunch of funding.

we’ve got some AI software for detecting strokes on CT and it’s poo poo and no one trusts it, i only look at it out of curiosity to see what bizarre stuff it comes up with

the stuff it does get right though could be spotted by a 1st year medical student, so probably tens of millions for software development which could have been replaced by a couple of 4 hr teaching sessions for someone vaguely medical

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation

Mega Comrade posted:

You are mostly correct.
As painful as it is what the bank of England are doing does work, we have a century of evidence to prove this. But what people often don't talk about is it isn't the only way to do it.

Under Nixon in America they brought in a freeze on salaries and prices. Literally for a 6 month period it was illegal to raise your price on anything and illegal to raise someone's salary. And it worked

Another solution is forced savings, you apply a special tax on everyone, taking away their money then slowly give it back to them through a repayment system. It causes the same effect as interest rates but the money doesn't vanish, everyone eventually gets it back.

But for whatever reason countries just prefer the interest rate approach, I guess cos it's more proven to be reliable even though it's by far the most painful for the lower and middle classes.
it’s funny that isn’t it

it is stupefying that the central banks fooled themselves into thinking they were keeping inflation low but it was actually china becoming an industrial behemoth that was doing it, so they’re playing with interest rates because they can only reduce demand side inflation by making us poorer than they can finding ways to increase the production of cheap energy and food

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation

i don’t think it’s substitute teacher vibes, maybe motivational speaker sent in to an office

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation

looks at the U.K.

“that aught to do it”

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation

forkboy84 posted:

I'm going to be ever so slightly sceptical of any poll that suggests the Tories will have more MSPs than they have MPs. Seems like the stuff of fantasies (or in this case nightmares. Kieth's Red Tories with a majority that big is a grim prospect)

both leaders have the “the more the public see of them the more they dislike them” energy so let’s see!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation
liz has the boundless energy of a dumb labrador, and genuinely thought she could “one weird trick” the U.K. economy back to relevance but was foiled by reality

sunak is quite clearly the guy sent by head office to shut down the factory but still get everyone working 100% until the shutters drop

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation
Keir Starmer promises to ease tensions between Labour and India

keir might actually break the british pakistan labour voter link lol

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation
the hip thing right now is the Vinted app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation
Dining across the divide: ‘He made me realise I’m woke – I thought it was a negative thing’

i don’t normally read this guardian thing but i thought the guy was bill bailey lol

the conversation is almost charming, sounds like the labour voter just kept bashing his head against the wall while the tory voter just sat there in blissful ignorance