Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

IcePhoenix posted:

I wonder if this stacks with the aspect that causes your nova to echo or if your minions only get one

Pages back but no, it doesn't. It triggers off surge cast only. It does, however, trigger overpower on every minion nova when you overpower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Stux posted:

really? you played them, properly built and geared?

https://i.imgur.com/7k8e8rC.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/isfLRiV.mp4
being functionally immortal against large elite packs in high tier nm dungeons while still having the dps to chunk thru them isnt good enough for t4? or did you just hear someone say it and give up on a character you clicked things randomly on

That looks great, I'm also having a good time with blood, at least when there are big packs to boost surge damage and generate corpses. How does it do against single targets? Are you mostly stacking attack speed and overpower damage to get to those guaranteed overpowers as quickly as possible? Your resource generation is insane compared to where mine is at the moment, I assume that's a well-rolled umbral aspect and the frost trail boots? Maybe a Black River?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Pain of Mind posted:

This is similar to my build for HC, though I have the fire snake instead of teleport. Why is teleport included in so many builds, does it do something besides teleport?

Teleport breaks crowd control and nightmare dungeons are where you get stunlocked to death

E: also turning into a lightning bolt and zipping across the screen is fun and satisfying

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

The more I think about it, the more I seriously doubt it stays this way past 2-3 seasons. Allowing as much as they're already allowing to carry over shows that they recognize it's a pain point for players, and I have to imagine it's one they'll budge on as people get tired of repeating it. Honestly just having side quests carry over and then having players do strongholds and dungeons naturally as they level for the last bit would be huge.

One of the guys on the stream today said that it's their intent to gradually scale down how much you have to repeat each season, so now they can just say they're accelerating their existing plan after receiving player feedback

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

victrix posted:

correct

main stat, vuln, crit/critd, <everything else>, overpower in its own weird playpen

attack speed is technically its own multiplier on everything else, you do all of the above faster, but not all skills use it

there's a hard limit on what you can get from gear, crit is only on gloves and rings, conditionally on gloves and amulets, attack speed on gloves (basic skill aspd on helmet), critd and vuln on weapons and rings

same story in your paragon board and skill tree, you'll generally want to grab all the vuln and crit stuff you can, you may or may not have access (or use for) attack speed

don't over focus on damage though, if you plan to push nightmare tiers you need damage reduction - you can get that on chest pants amulet and boots, a combination of damage reduction and dodge

life is on uh helm pants chest and rings I think

after that it's stuff like cost reduction (boots amulet) cooldown reduction (helm amulet) resource or heal on lucky hit (gloves) resource gen (rings) and +skills (most armor, amulets)

there's only a handful of affixes that are truly junk (thorns, slow duration reduction), I think by design so Johnny and Jane casual can just slap whatever on and get through the campaign

if you want to optimize it's mostly just getting the "good" affixes in the spots they can appear and getting more of the most powerful damage and damage resist stats from paragon

feel free to take any single paragraph or sentence from here and make a ten minute youtube video with SECRET MEGA DAMAGE REVEALED

Good post, thanks!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Scoss posted:

I don't know if they explicitly said that they were not planning on keeping the malignant heart whatever stuff past season 1 or if that was just something that people are intuiting, but I think it would be a big mistake for them to design season content without intent to retain the successful mechanics permanently. PoE's myriad problems with new player retention go far beyond how seasonal mechanics are presented and D4 need not step in the same exact potholes if they try to make content permanent as well.

I'm paraphrasing but they basically said rather than every new mechanic moving from Seasonal to Eternal by default, they will instead evaluate case by case with an explicit goal being to not overcomplicate the base game

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

DLC Inc posted:

PoE has platforming segments????

It has tedious trap-based dungeons that are profoundly unsuited to the control scheme

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

If I want lucky hit on a ring should I be using a sorc to do the re-rolls?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

harrygomm posted:

https://mobalytics.gg/infographics/diablo-4-gear-affixes-chart-infographic/

looks like barb, probably, because they have so few class only affixes compared to the others

That's a useful site, thanks!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

https://mapgenie.io/diablo-4/maps/sanctuary

There's a limit to what you can check off without paying for it, but it's enough to do around 3 zones

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Thanks! I've counted the altars on my in-game map and on the static maps on Maxroll and they keep coming up to the same number so clearly I've forgotten how to count things. Would be nice if there was some kind of api to allow third party services to hook into your character info and then just pinpoint the altar you're missing, and for that matter remaining sidequests (and their spawn locations). Then you could get all your stats and stuff too and it could be built into a damage calc etc. Sounds great tbh. Get it done, Blizz.

Post a screenshot of your map, I bet someone here can spot the one you're missing

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Don't let it get you down. You aren't alone - Raxxanterax is constantly saying that chain-CC is the worst thing in the game. I've heard other top-end players complain about it, too.

I think if you're a barb main like he is then it feels extra bad going to the classes with much less unstoppable uptime

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Tiny Timbs posted:

Can't wait to try classes other than Necro once the season comes out so I can actually understand what other people are experiencing lol

My main is necro and I've had fun playing all the other classes. Druid didn't really click with me but it was still enjoyable to try out. When I went back to necro I immediately started building towards infinimist though because I really enjoyed having shorter cooldown CC breaks

I'm genuinely torn on what to play first during season 1 but also trying not to waste too much energy thinking about it because there's a big balance patch coming two days before it starts

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

SHISHKABOB posted:

The CC that you avoid like the fear and cold circles are fine, the CC where the pine rats shoot you and you get frozen for a second every time is dumb.

Diablo 3 had a patch where they made certain affix combinations mutually exclusive and I can see something similar happening here eventually. No cold enchanted on enemies with attack speed greater than some threshold perhaps

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

euphronius posted:

Looking to have been a big mistake development wise

I think that depends on whether it's empty for technical reasons that they can't overcome or to give themselves room to turn the density up later

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

If the open world is used as a big sandbox to drop new stuff into with later seasons then I think it will have been worth the effort. If everything they add is instanced content like the malignant tunnel stuff then I generally agree with your original statement

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Mustached Demon posted:

It's set like 50 years after Malthael killed off like most of humanity.

Demons don't die they just get sent to time out. Angels probably work the same way I dunno. They eventually come back. Diablo came back so fast in 3 because he had help from his mortal squeeze Adria.

Demons go on time out and come back as the same demon. Angels return their power/energy/whatever to the Crystal Arch which allows a new, equally powerful angel to be created in their place

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I don't plan on doing any of the sidequests again unless they lead to a stronghold or dungeon (useful list)

If that prevents me from getting level 5 renown I'm not too bothered

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

flashman posted:

What bucket is a multiplicitive increase like the additional effect of say the unleash glyph? Is that just straight on top of the three buckets or what

And do all the "damage reduction" paragon nodes get summed prior to calculation or is it a bunch of little 4 percent boosts (ie. Damage reduction from elites from a number of different nodes)

Each source of damage reduction is multiplicative. If they were additive it would be pretty easy to hit 100% DR

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

flashman posted:

So each 4 percent node is separate? I see

Yup. You'll still be taking 4% less damage than you were each time you click one, so it doesn't feel as weird as the diminishing returns on all the +conditional damage gear

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

satanic splash-back posted:

From a recent interview, don't let this news get buried in the middle of a bunch of words

Do you have a link to the interview?

E: don't worry, I found it https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/diablo-4-season-1-loot-aenderungen,3397512.html

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 17, 2023

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

On top of what Happy Noodle Boy said, I think I saw that you can load up multiple characters and all their progress will port over into S1, but I'm not positive about that.

This is correct. Every character you log in with will have their altar and map progress added to your account altar and map progress (separate for softcore and hardcore). New characters created will inherit your account altar and map progress

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Philthy posted:

So, today is just the patch notes, the season starts in 2 more days?

Patch notes and the patch with the balance changes. Correct about season start date

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

30% nerf to all CDR except for offhands which get a 45% nerf lol. I love not pressing buttons

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

poemdexter posted:

The heart for minion damage seems ok for necro. I remember people talking about paragon boards being busted for summons before? Is that still the case?

I don't think the devs have even acknowledged that they're bugged, let alone fixed them

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

If you only gear with the stuff that got a 35% nerf and don't recalibrate for the stuff that got a 25-40% buff, then you are going to only experience the negative part. The hearts are also fairly significant changes.

If you only play your max level character on the eternal realm and refuse to respec or swap gear, then it is definitely fair to be upset because that is going to be bad.

The things that got buffed all go in the one additive bucket. The things that got nerfed are in their own multiplicative buckets. Those percentages you quote are not even close to directly comparable because of this

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I dont think switching to "damage to Crowd Controlled enemies" or whatever else generic rear end damage bucket is going to get me to the same power level as I was before.

They nerfed this affix too lol

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

American McGay posted:

Hardcore and Softcore will always be entirely distinct accounts.

Other than the one weird thing of the horse unlock carrying over

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

McCoy Pauley posted:

Is that going to make progressing into higher tier NM dungeons even slower? Took me like 10 nightmare dungeons at Level 1 in WT3 before I got a sigil for a level 3 dungeon and unlocked Sigil crafting, but at least at that point I had a bunch of sigil dust, I presume from Whispers. This makes it seem like they didn't do anything to make sigil craft unlock more easily, and dust will be harder to come by.

You get dust from other stuff (event chests, helltide chests, I think bosses can drop it)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

McCoy Pauley posted:

Ah- - thanks. I guess I wasn't really paying attention, since it seemed like it took so long at WT3 to get the ability to craft sigils, but that makes sense. Now if they would just make it that beating your first NM dungeon unlocks the ability to craft sigils. Seems deeply stupid to lock that behind a level 3 NM dungeon and then you just have to rely on a lucky drop of a level 3 sigil, instead of naturally working your way up from 1 to 3.

It's an auto pickup item like all crafting mats so generally a chest goes pop and you see the text for half a second before it's gone into your materials tab

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Collapsing Farts posted:

Huh, the patch was live? Literally didnt notice a difference with my necro

But then I'm only like level 61

IIRC you're playing a minion build? So you got some buffs

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Blood Lance might be back for S1. Aspect of Hungry Blood got a buff not mentioned in the notes. From:

When Blood Lance hits an enemy that is already lanced, it has a [10-20]% chance to fire a Blood Lance at a Nearby enemy

To:

When Blood Lance hits an enemy that is already lanced, it fires a Blood Lance at a Nearby enemy

That combined with overpower indirectly benefitting from nerfs to crit and vuln could make it pretty decent maybe?

I wonder if there are other aspects that got changed and were missing from the notes

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Pindakaas posted:

How long until season 2 lol

13 weeks give or take

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

rawk cawk posted:

pretty sure I read I just need to login with any eternal character with most progress before creating a season character and it'll transfer, right?

context: won't be able to login/play until Saturday, so after season start.

Yeah, just do it before you make any new characters. Also if your progress is scattered across a bunch of characters rather than one guy with 100% then log into them all

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Philthy posted:

They'll walk this back, I think. Once the honeymoon phase is over, and people have played a bunch of classes, it's going to take more than a seasonal gimmick to keep people coming back. POE has so much content, it keeps everyone replaying for over a decade now with people all excited for each season still.

The answer from the most recent stream was that each mechanic added in seasons will be evaluated case by case to decide if it should be part of the eternal realm, with the explicit goal of not making it an overwhelming mixture of stuff. Basically, don't assume that anything from seasons will make it back in to eternal but also don't assume that nothing will

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I have not missed resistance gearing, at all. Long may it remain worthless (but please compensate sorc accordingly)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Substandard posted:

I find pretty much everything about the patch to be dumb and annoying, but I'm still kind of excited to try out season 1 and see how it actually feels to play with the hearts and whatnot.

Still not 100% sure what class I'm going to go with though.

:same:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Play SC and pinky swear to delete your character if you die to anything other than lag

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Sadly, the heart that auto-casts a corpse skill doesn't cast tendrils once a second even if it's the only skill on your bar. It seems to have an internal cooldown of about 6 seconds, separate from the skill cooldown. Still really good though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

great big cardboard tube posted:

That's a bummer if true but anecdotally I feel like I see it much much more than every 6s. It definitely casts CE because I got the "use 30 corpses in 30 seconds" achievement the first event I did after equipping it

edit: without using either at all it was entirely procs from the heart

It's definitely triggering a corpse skill every second but Tendrils specifically has an internal cooldown. I equipped the heart and walked up to a pile of corpses with only Tendrils on my bar and I could count to 6 Mississippi between each Tendrils cast. With CE on the bar too it would cast 5 or 6 explosions between each Tendrils. Still great, just don't want to disappoint people expecting one of the best CC abilities in the game to cast for free once a second.