Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Asproigerosis posted:

I'm not having fun with bonespear necro, I hate corpse explosion it's miserable and then when you're on a boss spamming for 5 minutes before you get your first loving corpse to spawn.

I am playing Darkness/Corpse Explosion/No Summons necro. It takes a while to come together but you essentially cover the battlefield in toilet water and everyone dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

To people struggling with the difficulty on Tier II:

- Sorcerer is basically EZ mode.

- Playing melee is much harder than playing ranged. You're going to have to scoot out of the way of bruiser monsters A LOT, and several bosses feel outright unfair.

- It's far more important to have multiple abilities than it has to have one or two 5/5'd

- Early on, the game feels much more skill-based, but when your build comes together stuff just dies or deals 0 damage.

YMMV

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tonight I discovered that while you get account-wide benefits for finding Lilith statues, the game counts each character's collection separately, which is mind-boggling.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I was helping a Druid chase some poachers that were killing bears and on the way to them I think I killed like 20 bears myself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrVLOvJFtzM

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DrBox posted:

Leveled a necro to 35 yesterday. I hate how thick the miasma is from the corpse exploitation talent. I'm basically staring at health bars thru a black screen.

Yeah it's super ridiculous and could use a patch because you can't see any other creature or AOE on-screen. However, it's also really funny.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I hate being cc'd. When a boss fight is not a gear check, I quiver with impotent rage

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I guess I would like to see a way to build sorcerer that doesn't involve slapping as many cooldowns together as humanly possible, but YMMV

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Everyone probably should have seen the giant nerf to vuln and crits coming. They really don't want this to play like Diablo 3.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

That two days where I had my lightning sorcerer set up to melt everything near-instantly was nice. Had a feeling it couldn't last, I was not using a build guide and not super-kitted and the last half of any boss' health bar didn't matter.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

f#a# posted:

Pretty disappointed there aren't any QoL features. Console and controller UX is still awful.

Also can you turn off your character's voice so I don't hear "I'm not ready" every minute?

Yes (otherwise this game would be unplayable)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

At first I thought the horse was fine. But it doesn't interact well with stuff you'd expect to be silky smooth, like jumps or monsters bundled up against terrain that is not meant to be blocking.

Also sometimes you can just... Ride around barricades.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

All of D4 reddit is full of smoothbrain stuff like "any timed delay to me moving anywhere or doing anything is a personal insult and Blizzard should be ashamed." Complaining gets you more upvotes/dopamine on Reddit than posting anything useful, and is easier to do.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

harrygomm posted:

what part of the game do you think the people who are talking about these aspects and ability changes are playing?

Have not cracked 80+ yet but almost everyone mentions it's boring af because it's nothing but nightmare dungeon runs, so it's sort of a quit-while-you're-behind situation

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I can report that the nerf to Helltide drop rates makes it absolutely not worth doing

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I think they re-shadow adjusted helltide cinder drops? When I did Kyovoshad last night it was terrible. Tonight it was like normal.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mr Beens posted:

Agreed. The game is meant to get harder as you climb difficulty levels not easier. Overworld outside of helltides is faceroll.

It does feel satisfying to instantly splatter weak mobs from time to time, but yeah

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I have been trying to run fire sorcerer in season because I hate fun I guess. Only today with an exceptionally well-rolled Staff of Endless Rage did it really come together.

You can't really run full fire in the way you can run full lightning or full ice, because while those are also theme picks, they also have access to stun/freeze/vuln. Fire gets consistent access to burning and immobilization, neither of which is as good as lightning/ice side kits. Immobile is even somewhat difficult to proc unless you are playing meteor, and it doesn't really stop most monsters from doing stuff. Meanwhile, a lightning sorcerer gets to autokill bosses with stun and all the +% they can layer on the damage at that point.

The ice and lightning ultimates/final passives are generally way better.

I was running incinerate for a while, which is pretty satisfying, but unless you are really well-geared it does very little. The other elements are not very gear-dependent, and besides that their legendaries are almost all way better. Now with the staff I am back to maining Fireball and clearing content pretty fast with chained explosions.

And of course on sorcerer you will probably want at least three cooldowns as both panic buttons and combo builders, so ultimately every sorcerer plays pretty samey.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

zoux posted:

Yeah these are great and happen every 25 minutes (?). Helltides.com is one of many sites that keeps a timer going.

Legion events are incredibly boring and the drops are usually terrible, though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The droppable unique armors look cool and the only time I spend looking at my duds is typically on loading screens... Which is why they added it there, of course.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

faantastic posted:

It's real weird because its just a constant repeating of the burn "you used a guide!" or "you read reddit/watched a youtuber" like the only way to possibly enjoy this game is to go in blind and do it all yourself, that the millions of other players are all playing wrong except this small cluster on this board.

After putting a ton of time into season 1, the season mechanics going forward need to offer more solid content, hoping that the rumors of better end game coming as patches and not as season are true because overall the game is still fun but the season mechanics/extras all feel very very minimal effort.

Someone mentioned this upthread but Diablo 4 is a pretty easy game, the only "skill" thing is how you are using your skill points and once you figure out what works to a baseline degree the game basically plays itself. The outrage caused by the big balance patch earlier this month was almost all people "netdecking" broken builds. Beyond a couple of bumps and hiccups the change to most builds was almost unnoticeable.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

EC posted:

We hit 60 and decided to the capstone and basically walked through Elias. Then WT4 proceeded to completely murder us. Can't decide if I should try to stick it out and hopefully get better gear (WT3 hasn't dropped real upgrades for us in awhile) or knock the difficulty down to finish renown in between doing nightmare dungeons.

Might want to start the nightmare dungeon grind while you figure out how to optimize that sweet spot of DPS and survivability.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Little Kielbasa posted:

My guess is that the median Blizzard developer worships Musk as a god.

That may have been the case before Musk developed a social media humiliation kink

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

I have sadly given up at level 51 on my Druid and 70 on my eternal Rogue. The scaling between difficulties is just so bad, I'm still baffled by the decision to make it so enemies are below your level in the current tier and 5 levels above your level in the next. I ran out of money with 2-3 affix rerolls and I just cannot be bothered to farm gold at level 51 so that I can get an upgrade that immediately nullifies all the work I just did. Leveling is just too slow and upgrades are too expensive for any of it to be fun. And ironically it's exacerbated by the fact that because leveling is so slow, upgrades are common--which should be a good thing, but I get to where I frequently trash upgrades because I'm sick of farming enough resources and playing Inventory Management Simulator long enough to put aspects on them.

Hi, I have been at this point with a couple of characters who just weren't working and then I ran out of mats/gold to respec and upgrade my poo poo. The way to do it is:

- Do helltides

- Do NM dungeons, especially with allies

Yes, there is a huge 15+ level gap that can occur on some characters when you clear T3 and need ancestrals to advance your actual power level. Grouping and grinding gold/mats from trash yellows and trash legendaries is generally how you overcome that.

I think the solace is that you can make up some difference with good cancer orbs on your jewelry in season, and it's easy to get to a point where you can turboclear dungeons.

The other thing to look at is your actual skill point setup. I have tried the "I just gotta be me" method on sorcerer and done an all-fire build. It doesn't loving work no matter where you put the points, you need at least two off-element defensive skills to have an in-combat mana/cooldown rhythm, proc vuln, etc. It is unfortunately possible to make a bad character by doing the builds suggested in the skill tree.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Doomykins posted:

I can comfortably move up to WT4 at 65 now and start the ancestral gear farm. That's somethin'.

I wonder why they made two versions of the vampire magi guys. One you see almost everywhere and is reasonable, does that bastard bat swarm and blink away thing. The other regularly spams a 3 second stun that you can't see coming under every other graphic effect. Cool and fun.

I wonder how long I can avoid slotting the mandatory unstoppable in.

If you are soloing a lot it helps to have an item to consistently trigger unstoppable at high level.

(Whereas if you are grouping, the strategy is shock and awe).

For my part I am now level 72 fire sorcerer in season and have been riding a max affix-rolled razorplate and the effect that makes your thorns damage go AOE really hard. For a while it was 80% of my damage while I figured out other slots. Basically, thorns goes off, one or more monsters dies from 9,700 damage, and then fireball enchant goes off. It's pretty gnarly and synergizes well in group play.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 14, 2023

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

There was also an issue of the RMAH facilitating money laundering.

Anyway, D3 was a disaster early on and really only matured into a pretty flat endgame that people somehow pretend is better than D4's. D4 could turn out as disappointing, but we didn't spend the first six months with predatory item scarcity, so... Baby steps.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 15, 2023

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

harrygomm posted:

i must be doing something wrong with chain lightning. level 45 and it takes 2-3 casts to kill a regular non elite enemy of my level. i’ve read all these skills, i’m using them how i should. poo poo just isn’t dying, i dunno hire this could be considered a super fast leveling build

Generally it comes from %damage while stunned and the 7,000 ways to get that. I can tell you it's easier to level lightning than fire.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

Finally finished the Season Journey. Let's check out the sweet loot you get from making it all the way through!

oh

Yeah it's a major bone of contention that the season super reward is... shite

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Got a barber last night! My damage immediately quintupled. A damage graph on any boss would look hilarious though, because I've also got the +crit, -regular damage orb equipped. So a boss' health meter will not really move for an awkward few seconds and then they'll just immediately explode.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I had hoped that D4 would have interesting enough itemization to keep the endgame interesting, it does not. It was nice of them to make legendaries something you can build and move to different slots.

Main issue is that you need god-drops to consider moving something you've been using for 20 levels out of a slot, and the game is still in the majority dropping sacred items on me 20+ levels after they became obsolete.

The seasonal cancer gems' capstone is just an overcomplicated description for "multiply your damage by 5-10x." Congrats you can now endgame.

And the paragon board is super clunky and makes me feel locked into a build because it takes me 30m to rebuild an even somewhat complicated board. I have been able to make Fireball sorcerer work in late game. If I want to change from fireball I have to re-itemize heavily and then sit there loving around with my paragon board. I frankly preferred the D3 setup, it wasn't deep but it was elegant.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Can someone explain (or link) how the barber gem boosts damage that much? It actually seemed like a downgrade with pulverize when the timer roll was longer than vulnerable procs lasted, but since moving to tornado and a shorter roll poo poo just blows up.

It basically does giant AOE damage bursts on a timer when you crit with a large multiplier on top of them.

quote:

Critical Strikes and all subsequent damage within 2.0-4.0 seconds is absorbed by your target. Then, the absorbed damage erupts onto surrounding enemies*. Stored damage is increased by 10% per second.

So, when you crit, wait a few seconds, and then lots of targets take all the damage, with a 20-40% interest rate.

*I don't think surrounding enemies is a well-defined term and the text suggests that the target will block all the damage, but they don't seem to

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I don't think an item that literally everyone should equip in order to get 5-10x DPS is super great design, call me crazy. I mean at least we're not tied up in which set bonus gives you 10,000% damage yet.

Did it feel good to immediately just have an item that opened up endgame? Yes. I wish my incredibly tedious paragon board had done something that dramatic, though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

El Scandelouse posted:

The great feast heart for Necro is just as broken but nobody is talking about that. Also try running a barber in end game without the supporting paragon nodes and glyphs. It’s not that great if you don’t crit often.

Prior to the season coming out people were complaining that the hearts weren’t going to be powerful enough. Now folks are complaining that they are too powerful. I’m just happy they gave us some attainable gear that makes the game more fun by allowing you to blow up demons with very big numbers. It’s admittedly a pretty weak season and I think most people can see eye to eye on that. The least they could do was throw us some bones when it comes to powerful end game loot.

A solid number of the hearts are still hot garbage. And yeah I am doing solid crit chance, but so should most or all builds.

Then in October I will go heartless and my fire sorcerer will go back to being terrible. Meanwhile everyone running bear druids and diarrhea necros will be fine. The balance is just completely screwed and even a lazy bullshit item like barber doesn't fix it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I have a 78 fire sorcerer who is pretty much done with the seasonal content aside from the final seasonal cache, which is crap and would take hella grinding to do. I did not level her particularly fast. I will probably roll a rogue next.

It is more fun to play her in a group, more people should try that.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

You also can't trade almost anything worthwhile in this game, so who gives a poo poo really

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

moths posted:

Oh that's stupid. I figured the storyline would be the fastest way to level and I don't know if that was the case.

I think it's an OK way to get a pile of crafting mats without really trying, that's about it

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I have to say I'm very disappointed in world bosses. No add summoning, no real damage suppression, are always killed within seconds. I dunno, this should feel like more of an event and less like something that's just artificially scarce.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

A little wacky to advertise balance/bug/QoL fixes as features to get excited about in *checks notes* October.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If you are playing with controller it sometimes locks to refund all skill points in my experience.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This doesn't really end getting CC'd, it just deals with some of the more obnoxious CC. Honestly I am fairly OK with everything except getting AWP'd by corpse bows and that almost unavoidable ghost ray attack.

The game being easier and easier as you level (a common problem with RPGs) is an issue beyond even this. I was doing WT2 world bosses on a new rogue yesterday and it felt refreshing not to see the world boss melt in four seconds and actually get a fight out of it, with lots of casualties. This starts with the issue where a couple of classes have broken builds that can even do that. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth will occur if they ever bring necromancer back anywhere close to level-banded content, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This raises the very real question of, "Does Diablo require skill? Is it possible to be Good at Diablo?"

It's dangerously close to a cookie clicker. Most of the skill comes from figuring out which things on your skill tree/paragon board are traps (a minority--you can level on anything as long as you are doing +crit or consistent vuln procs). But now we're diving into how mistuned the skills are!

I felt like D4 was a very different game from any other Diablo early on when I was playing a shadow melee necromancer and had to worry about dodging ever. Then you just incrementally get more and more items that let you stop interacting with a lot of skill-based play. If it turns into dust in two seconds I don't have to worry about what it is or what it's doing.