Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
something unexpected got shittier:

ive been buying the same kind of page-day-calendar from the same place every year past maybe 5 years or so and this time around even it was not safe from "shrinkflation" the pages are suddenly 2/3rd the size of what they were in years past

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i worked in the kitchen of a mediterranean restaurant a long time ago that had my favorite hummus and that was basically their recipe (minus cumin iirc, and with way more garlic). also they would soak the beans in water and baking soda overnight before boiling and finishing the rest the next morning. i cant remember why exactly

you can then further improve the look (and to some extent the taste) by serving it with parsley, paprika and olive oil on top as garnishes.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yeah ive been pleased with my setup which is a apple tv box for streaming apps to a tcl tv that i never update and is not even connected to wifi so it cant attempt to make itself shittier

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
in general "they" (ie. businesses) want the web to suck so you will want/have to download their app, which has way less restrictions on tracking etc

if "developers" attempt to make some sort of stand against this type of (industry-wide) practice theyll simply be replaced by someone less scrupulous. its not hard work by development standards and theres enough money pumping through the industry that they wont have any trouble getting someone else

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
posting because i noticed this thread got shittier

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Last time I got my frye boots resoled it was $175 and I only paid $325 for them so I’ll just get new boots next time

i recently learned frye boots have no warranty of any sort. gently caress paying that much for something with no warranty

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i like nike (woke, supported colin kaepernick)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Someone’s running a bitcoin miner on all the lg washing machines

yeah, and that someone is lg

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

credburn posted:

I don't ever wish violence upon them but I get frustrated when they're not stabbed for it.

new thread title

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

redshirt posted:

Same. Loved that site. Were they related to Deadspin and Gawker too? I have this recollection they were all under the same umbrella.

no it's part of the onion

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
after applying 1 million registry hacks my windows 11 could finally be called "usable" if im being generous

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
discord as a text/voice platform is great. discord as a source of information or reference is really bad. to be fair it wasnt designed for that purpose and it isnt really their fault people have been compelled to use it as such imo its a miracle discord is still privately owned. no way that lasts

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
delivery incurs the laziness tax and that tax is usually around 20$ more than it would cost to get it yourself (sometimes more and also depends how generous of a tipper you are. it shocked me to find most people hit $0)

the food arrives somewhere between lukewarm and warm on average. same rules for any carry out apply: some things travel better than others. you can pay an extra fee on top of the ~20$ (usually like 2-3$) to jump to the front of the line. drivers usually doing multiples at a time

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Cerekk posted:

Why would you tip when there's a huge delivery fee? The whole point of a delivery fee is that business are responsible for paying their employees.

because the delivery fee isnt going to the drivers. all of the fees are completely opaque. one category is usually just called "taxes and other fees" i have no idea how much is actually going to the drivers per order but im sure its not enough. at least they claim all of the tip goes them so personally that is why i do it

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Outpost22 posted:

I think that delivery should be a service only provided for the elderly, disabled, people with mobility issues or are unable to leave their house, etc.

If you're able bodied, just pick your food up yourself you lazy bastard.

sure but what if im really hungover

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
speaking of hulu subtitles dont work half the time or the tracking is off. at least with pirated stuff you can adjust that

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
no because basic typing proficiency is still a useful skill at many jobs

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

Basically if you see someone homerow typing you know they're not a poweruser or computer wizard because they waited to be taught how to type. Come at me

i think thats true. i tried home row after teaching myself (by the time i got to a typing class in high school) and found it incredibly weird and inefficient. anyway i used to be able to type 120wpm no problem :smuggo:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
this is a petty one but ever since amazon bought whole foods it has been getting shittier. it was always super overpriced but they had a good meat and seafood counter so i would shop there for select items. one of those items was their andouille sausage. for years ive been buying it there and i think it's a lot better than any other ive tried. now suddenly they don't do andouille sausage anymore! just italian (which are also very good) and chorizo (just ok). loving bezos

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
right it seems like the only loser in the equation is the delivery driver working for the app. anyway i noticed recently that in addition to the fees, delivery fee, and optional tip the individual items on delivery apps is sometimes higher than if you go to the place or call in the order yourself. anyone know is this restaurants setting their prices higher for delivery or is it just extra money also going to the app company

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

ghost emoji posted:

They're getting rid of the HTML-only inboxes on Gmail soon. My dad lives in the middle of nowhere with lovely internet, and the current Gmail takes ages to load for him. Everything online is optimized for people who have a high-speed connection that never falters.

i love waiting for 200mb of javascript and hi-res images to download on my throttled 3g phone connection whenever im out of the country so i can look at the menu in a restaurant (after dismissing all of the privacy popups of course!)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
on the TCL roku i have i did my best to disable all of the smart tv stuff by performing a factory reset and then never connecting to wifi. occasionally i will update the software via usb drive instead. it has a built in media player that plays every format ive thrown at it from attached USB media. subtitles worked nicely as well so that was all the functionality i needed. i used that before i eventually setup a plex server which i find even nicer (using the free version).

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yeah plex works great for people who arent super tech savvy too. it's ok to enjoy things while they last

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
vegas has always been lovely

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
costco is very much a bulk store near me ... that seems weird that there would be one that's 80% normal items

(and it rules btw - the only way it's gotten shittier is they removed some items from the food court since covid)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Philthy posted:

It's crazy that they haven't split Ticketmaster into 10 different companies at this point.

it's not so crazy when you consider the us government is completely beholden to corporate interests and ticketmaster would go out of business (good riddance) if they couldnt print money via junk fees

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Outrail posted:

'It's worth what people are willing to pay' is the truest and worst thing about capitalism.

for me it's the free market. i love how everything there is free

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
another thing ive noticed getting shittier is now a lot of restaurants (more casual / fast food type places) dont even have their menu online per se... they make you essentially begin a delivery order instead and thats the only way to browse the menu

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
continuing my complaints about restaurants... went somewhere recently that had a QR menu. whatever thats common enough these days. but you also had to order through the menu website. the QR code had the table number included which was nice, but you had to pay at time of ordering. thats convenient if you want to split the check between everyone i suppose but my family had to pass around one phone and input their order so we could pay together then type in the credit card etc. took forever. then when we later decided to order dessert had to do the whole process over again

dumb

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
theres only 1 good energy drink and you can brew it yourself at home :colbert:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

big mean giraffe posted:

People who drink room temp water are literally psychopaths. Just keep a filtered pitcher in the fridge, problem solved.

youre going to hate almost everywhere outside of the united states

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Quote-Unquote posted:

the internet was a mistake

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
firefox is still the best browser for normal people all around even if you occasionally have to disable the stupid features their product team or CEO du jour puts in because all companies must Monetize and Grow

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
firefox is the closest descendant of netscape available but i agree they should bring it back

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
ph scale except for wokeness

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I don't want to sound like too much of an old fogey, but I don't use TikTok and one of the reasons is listening to my coworkers watching stuff on it. It's always horrible loud jangling something that abruptly cuts off to another horribly loud jangling something and on and on

oh yeah theyre hell to hear 2nd hand. it's not just young people. last christmas a lot of the older people in my family were watching those short form videos except on youtube or instagram instead of tiktok and at considerably higher volume than kids do

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I mean some of these coworkers I hear watching the thing at max volume are in their 40's and even their 50's. But it's just awful it's like robot voice saying something followed by classical strings library music followed by fire alarm. I think it bothers the part of my brain that hates when someone is switching stations on a radio over and over and never letting more than a few seconds of a song play.

the AI voices are bad but it's worse when they happen to pick up on a song i like so i hear the same clip of it over and over, ruining it forever

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i dont think tiktok is like a primary threat to society but i also would say forums and IRC were a lot different from tiktok and probably less harmful if only because they were not nearly as mainstream

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
im no doctor but it seems odd to me that theres only 1 factor that could possibly affect the dose needed to put and keep you asleep and it's smoking weed apparently ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i tell my doctors i do drugs in case they want to party or offer me some