Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I watched Cocaine Bear, Resolution, Unwelcome, and A Field In England on the weekend

Tbh I think A Field was my favourite, though I prefer In The Earth's take on the same terrifying mushroom entity. Fellas I think I might like trip/drugs horror.

Unwelcome's last ten minutes slapped too, and it's fun watching Colm Meany be a big ol bastard. Also, evil Nac mac Feegle

Resolution was alright, very much in the "slightly weirder, slightly weirder, MONSTER" sense just mentioned

Cocaine Bear sure had a cocaine bear alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Somehow I'm only figuring out now despite having seen loving all of both series that Patrick Wilson is the main dude in both of them

In my defense, for Insidious I could pretty much give no more than half a crap about the dad, I'm here for Lin Shaye

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

WeaponX posted:

Within the Patrick- Wilson-Verse, Conjuring is solid but I always thought Insidious was having a bit more fun.

I always find the Warrens as depicted in the Conjuring to be a Little Much. Like, we get it, guys, you love eachother and God very much, let's get back to the spookies, yeah?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Noroi was dope, holy poo poo. Loved the increasing sense of dread as absolutely everybody connected with the story disappeared, died, or disappeared then died

Occult was almost as good save for that goofy effects shot at the end.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also the mid 2000s aesthetic and Shiraishi's documentary approach to found footage really lends itself well to squeezing the movies through the narrow pipe of modern streaming service compression algorithms

which is to say both movies were compression artifacted to gently caress but in a way that reminded me of being awake at 3 am on the weird side of youtube on my laptop

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

We Got Us A Bread posted:

The goofy effects shot at the end of Occult shows up again in many of Shiraishi's movies, and it's glorious.

Alright, alright, I'll get used to it!

Phy fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 11, 2023

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

She obviously sounds like a cartoon mouse

*meeting Mia Goth at a con* So, what's Basil of Baker Street like

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

"NAME THE ACTOR WHO REPLACED JASON IN FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 6 OR THE ACID WILL EAT AWAY YOUR SKULL"

I wish movies still had quizzes at the start

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Aw, One Cut Of The Dead was delightful

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

It’s Killer Klowns from Outer Space by the dickies

This is the only one I have still rattling through my head months after watching it

Well, that and "OH MY GOD THAT'S SOME FUNKY poo poo" from the Event Horizon credits, but that wasn't made for the movie, it was just a really apropos sample

(fe: gently caress me I never looked it up until right now but that one's by the Prodigy?! Sampling the Beastie Boys?!?!)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hell yes

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
How's the second and third hell house llc movies?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I guess we're big old suckers for disappearing mannequins and Deep Lore, cause we watched all the Hell House LLCs and the sequels were ok (if, yes, diminishing returns and the silly messianic archetype being applied to the media mogul in 3)

We also watched Return of the Living Dead and that was great. My wife doesn't like zombie movies at all and she still enjoyed it

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The burglar walking into this scene and Homering right back into the bushes

(If the Santo movies are any guide, a gathering like this is a regular Tuesday for a luchador)

E: also that's a buff fuckin alien. If greys were that buff X-Com would make more sense. You take a 95% shot and miss? You didnt actually miss, the sectoid just fucken eats it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Marcade posted:

Nexomon Extinction is a pokemon clone that has two great little things going for it. First, enemy trainers reset very quickly so you can grind money/exp super fast if you feel like it. Second, the writing does not take itself seriously at all. One of the side quests is from a ghost who asks you to go to his old house and delete his browser history.

Marcade posted this in the Little Things In Games thread in pyf and I immediately thought of yall

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

shoeberto posted:

That's just I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream

Speaking of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74jfnTczdG4

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Forever for me it’ll be the signs disturbing footage

Never been more scared in my fn life

"It's behind" is just behind the foot in the cornfield for me

E: also, "Mr Hammond, I think we're back in business"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh my gosh they even cropped it to 4:3

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I don't count Vast of Night as horror, but I think it's just a fantastic movie. I think my favorite scene was when the screen is just black and you're listening to that guy tell the story.

Rewatched it yesterday cause y'all were talking about it, and yeah, this. That and the long oner where Fay keeps calling people on her switchboard and they keep dropping off the network.

I never tuned into Art Bell back in the day but I imagine that's what it would have been like on a good night, that sort of mounting paranoia. Driving down some nameless laser-straight prairie road, overcast, with the moon glowing dimly through a break in the clouds. Some poor scared dude spilling his guts on AM radio about the weird poo poo he saw in the Army, and then his call drops. And as the hair stands up on your arms, you realize you're the only thing moving that's bigger than a gopher within like 50 miles, and you start to wonder... What would happen if I got out and looked up and checked?

Phy fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 1, 2023

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

someone probably already said Lord of Illusions but Lord of Illusions

Someone also said Noroi but Noroi (and probably most of Shiraishi's fuckin oeuvre)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

sad question posted:

Bone Tomahawk was good but it also made me weirdly stoked because I have the same chairs they used for the saloon scene.

I inherited my grandma's dining room table and chairs. They're great quality solid wood furniture and I'm happy to have a connection to grandpa and grandma, but... I always wanted a full set of well-maintained Cesca chairs and now I'll never ever have a need to, and that bums me out just a tiny bit.

Yknow, these ones, from every single tv show and movie about a family with hip or retro sensibilities:

(Full disclosure, my family had a set of "knockoffs" in the 80s, so it's more that I'm nostalgic for those and find it funny that film has settled on the Cesca as the set dressing of choice. I bought a dogshit pair for like 5 bucks when I moved out that's still in my basement)

Phy fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 2, 2023

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Oh drat alright I've never heard of The Borderlands that sounds like my jam.

Hopefully it's available to me.

It's on Tubi in Canada under the Final Prayer title, check yours

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are there good skinwalker movies? My wife kept herself awake last night watching youtubes about skinwalkers, but I get the sense there's very little out there in terms of movies, as opposed to e.g. windigos or Bigfoot.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Most of those dinosaurs are from the friggin Cretaceous anyway

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like there's a lot of potentially great horror movie premises that are some form of "you slow-play things for the first half the movie and then SURPRISE it's actually a Jason/Freddy/Dracula/Godzilla/Predator movie" but unfortunately with modern media today it's almost impossible to keep something like that under wraps long enough to pull it off.

I was like "why do I feel like I saw exactly that recently" and then I remembered The Invitation

I don't remember catching ads for it, the only reason I knew Dracula was involved was this thread. Ms Phy was completely in the dark but she figured out the vampire swerve pretty early

Also I caught a link to this somewhere with no explanation and it was good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsbVTPftcgs

Phy fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 3, 2023

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

I haven't seen that movie since I saw it in the theater but I still say "are you ready for my wisdom" all the time. Movies and memory are weird

I heard an electronic song once that sampled "I was born... to murder the world", it was cool finding out where that came from

I don't say it all the time though

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That thing grossed me out bigtime but then it got Byford Dolphined so it was like double gross

E: I think like a solid half of what I love about Alien is the 70s But The Future aesthetic.

Phy fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 5, 2023

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

I guess you were right not to google that. The GIS results aren’t exactly fun.

Eugh, sorry. I wouldna dropped the reference if I knew people were gonna look at photos. I never have, the descriptions are awful and sad enough.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

On the subject: Last Voyage of the Demeter has been pulled from UK release indefinitely, since eOne, the distribution company that was putting it out, just got bought out by Lionsgate. Kinda mad because I was gonna see it tomorrow.

The proudest moment of Abraham Van Helsing, corporate raider. Albion is safe from the monster, for now...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

alf_pogs posted:

FUNKY poo poo at the end of event horizon is still an all time needle drop

Event Horizon was one of the first horror flicks I ever saw in the theater. I just wasn't really into it as a kid. So there's me at the end of the movie, trying to fuckin process what I just saw, and the soundtrack goes OH MY GOD THAT'S SOME FUNKY poo poo

gently caress yes it was!

Phy fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 12, 2023

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

The Borderlands / Final Prayer was good but I kind of felt the ending fell a little flat. It was good overall though.

So I watched this last weekend and I agree? Like generally pretty great, but when I realized that the reveal can be described as "the church is a monster that eats people", I kind of wished the film had leaned into the metaphor.

Also watched Prey for the Devil, and I didn't like that much. It felt like... I dunno, like fanfiction about the Church written by someone who had never so much as met a Catholic in their life. The nun drawing her fuckin cross out like it was a. 45 was kind of hilarious.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

That being said the ones that stand out kick rear end. Hereditary is an all timer, in that you can hear it in a meme and laugh but still find it haunting. Annihilation is also great too.

Colin Stetson (Hereditary, Color Out of Space, The Menu) is off the chain and he's honestly half the reason why I was looking forward to the Uzumaki anime

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
V/H/S: Beta

The entire franchise self-annihilates in a burst of hard gamma radiation

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

That Ghoulies poster has to be one of the biggest let downs of a horror movie poster ever made.

Post posters that are loving liars.

Ok

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think what's started to bug me about 80s and 90s movies is how filthy everything isn't.

It must be pretty tough to find shitbox Tempos and K-cars and Sunbirds that are only half-rusted instead of entirely returned to iron oxide, and I get that horror is generally pretty cheap to produce and nobody wants to spend the time on scattering period-correct styrofoam hamburger clamshells everywhere and stomping on gum until the sidewalks look like a fuckin Dalmatian, but I absolutely have started to notice the absence

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mover posted:

Cult horror set during the Plague Of Justinian with lots of body borror

Caveman encounters the first vampires, alternatively neanderthals encounter early humanity who are presented as nearly psychopathic ruthless competitors

12-13th century academic is drawn obsessively to research the legend of Prester John, only to discover he is not an earthly ruler but an alien reality that becomes more real the more is written about it, Mouth of Madness style

All of this directly into my eyeballs, gently caress

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Something I think about a lot is the experience of renting some weird movie that nobody else has ever seen (presumably because all the good movies were already rented) and having that become a cornerstone of your childhood. My mom and I rented The Lift once and then rented it almost one a month for the better part of a year afterwards. I still love that movie and somewhere I have the storyboard I tried to make for a similar movie about sentient showers that kill people (in my cluelessly gay little nine year old brain I was like "horror movies = women in showers" and ran with it).

It's not horror, but Captain Ron. "Ahh, they'll get out of our way, boss! Learned that drivin' the Saratoga" is practically a part of my personality, as is the need to clarify revolutionaries or apes when someone mentions gorillas without context.

Robot Jox was a candidate but I only rented it a few times and as the designated robot dude in the family no-one else got into it quite so much

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kazzah posted:

The future? No, we need to go in the other direction: Jason vs. the Argonauts

Mighty Heracles would be delighted by such a formidable opponent

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

What are the most autumnal horror movies? Like if I want the cinematic equivalent of snorting some crushed up red and yellow leaves

Reminds me, I really want to watch Tarsem Singh's The Fall some time

And The Cell again, more relevantly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
About the only movie I feel bad for dropping is the Coppola Dracula because I just can't hack Keanu's accent

But maybe... Maybe I can "hack" his accent! I watch with subs on all the time anyways, so maybe if I watch it in French with the English subs, I can finally finish the fuckin movie!