Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Origami Dali posted:

Phantasm I-IV are all good for dif reasons.

Please try to defend Phantasm IV

It’s by far the worst of the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Tremors remains the Platonic ideal of a creature feature

Barbarian (Hulu) was insane lol. I somehow avoided spoilers for The Good Stuff. Love how the movie shows you AJ is a massively unperceptive self-centered horrible person but he clearly has no clue; nobody thinks they’re the villain after all. Pretty drat funny at times too.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Shrecknet posted:

who is a non-horror director who you'd like to see take on a horror project?

Not my idea, but Jim Henson’s Creature Shop working on a kaiju movie would have been amazing. They could have pulled off some insane giant puppet thing for Godzilla to fight

Edit: for that matter, them making any large monster in a horror movie would have been amazing too. Thinking of something like the giant thing at the end of Species II

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Didn’t they do the mascots in the upcoming FNaF movie? or was that Weta’s crazy rear end again

Yes, they are. I looked up their filmography after I posted that and they’ve done more horror adjacent things than I realized. No kaijus though!!!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

whats the best place to start for Benson and Moorhead?

Resolution, The Endless, and Something in the Dirt are more or less connected

Spring & Synchronic are far more standalone; they may have some tiny references to past movies but nothing that matters. Synchronic is the biggest departure for their style and also the weakest.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Alhazred posted:

horro movie

I like this. Even better if you pronounce it in Spanish.

Gonna watch some horros this weekend

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is there some deep lore reason for why the Nostromo has a wet-chain tunnel with potable (?!?) water just falling on some concrete from a great height?

It’s obviously just because it looks cool, and that’s a great reason and I support it. But Alien is a big enough franchise that someone must’ve tried writing like a GURPS supplement for it or something. That seems like the kind of a thing some beautiful nerd would try to defend.

The giant thing in that room is the landing gear. I don’t think I’ve heard any theories about the water, but in-universe options I can think of:
* it was cold on LV-426; the landing gear is freezing and it’s water condensation
* it’s the air handler dealing with the remnants of the atmosphere (that room would have been exposed to the surface)
* the air handler / humidifier system is just broken

The chains don’t make any sense, nor should that door have been open unless the alien opened it. That entire deck would have been exposed to the planetoid atmosphere if the doors weren’t sealed. You would think Brett would have remarked on that.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Baron von Eevl posted:

I've heard "the room is so big it has weather."

That’s a real thing that can happen, but that room is way too small for that.

quote:

When the humidity is high in the Airdock, a sudden change in temperature causes condensation. This condensation falls in a mist, creating the illusion of rain, according to the designer.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Halloween 2018
Halloween
Halloween 4

I don’t care

RZ Halloween 2

I realized I don’t really care about this franchise. I watched Halloween after a lot of the things it influenced and it didn’t make a big impact on me.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’m voting 1 but with a straighter blood line. The zig zag is too severe. I think 2 looks too busy

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SneakySneaks posted:

I'm in a mood for a good investigation horror (supernatural basis, not serial killer like Zodiac, Seven, Memories of Murder, Chaser) after watching Mirrors of all things. Despite being a middle of the road movie, the Esseker stuff hit a sweet spot for me and I'm looking something with a similar creepy vibe, but I think I've seen most of the good/decent ones. I've seen most of the J-Horror Movies (and remakes), Empty Man, Cure for Wellness, A Record of a Sweet Murder, Seance, Incantation, Session 9, Cure. Are there more films along those lines that keep in paranormal?

Lord of Illusions

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Lumbermouth posted:

Specifically the director’s cut, it has one of the creepiest scenes I’ve ever seen in it.

Can you stream this anywhere, or do you have to buy the Blu-Ray?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Snooze Cruise posted:

https://i.imgur.com/37VGvj8.mp4 unmute

despite my issues with the rest of 7 this scene is truly cinema. safe. house.

Holy poo poo that feels cheap as hell. This was a theatrically released movie!?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I bailed on Upstream Color and after it was later revealed how skeevy the director was I’m never going to revisit it

Most of the horror stuff I turn off is because I’m falling asleep :(

I revisit some of them though. I think as I get older, junk movies just aren’t that fun a lot of the time. Demon Wind was the last one I remember. I did eventually finish it but I wasn’t exactly glued to the screen.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Not horror but I watched Dog Day Afternoon yesterday and that’s a top-tier sweaty movie

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Chris James 2 posted:

Legitimately Criterion and Screambox have both done more to impress me this year in terms of horror than Shudder has

Yeah I regret doing a year subscription for Shudder; it’s been pretty mediocre this year

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Don’t forget the face tattoos!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

alf_pogs posted:

i'd love an adaptation of Hellstar Remina, that poo poo gets whacky and wild

I don’t know if scary is the right word for that one necessarily but it’s so weird and bleak and kind of gross that it did leave an impression on me. Everyone is hopelessly doomed by the end and they’re fully aware of it. Letting you imagine their various deaths is worse than actually showing them.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I know I keep bringing up Phantasm recently, but it does hold the honour of Phantasm 2 prominently featuring a super shotgun.

Even better, that’s a rare super-duper shotgun. See also the super-duper machine gun boat in Waterworld.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Nikumatic posted:

for some reason whenever someone brings up lake mungo i immediately instead think of beneath, the dopey-rear end killer catfish movie with this beautiful creature

I feel like a giant alligator gar would be a much better killer fish

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

What's the consensus on The Prophecy 2 and 3? There's a 4k set coming out but I've never seen any of the sequels. Although, as a physical media person, my experience tells me that when a box set gets released without the option to buy each film individually that usually means there's some garbage in there that they know wouldn't sell on it's own.

DTV trash, but not completely awful. Neither are as good as the first and that one isn’t exactly a classic to begin with. Walken is barely in 3 and I remember that one being pretty dull.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Levantine posted:

I'm surprised to see Brooklyn 45 on this (or anyone's) list tbh. I enjoyed it and thought it was a fun, tight little single-set movie but it didn't strike me as a crowd pleaser.

I couldn’t even finish that movie. The acting felt so stilted and I thought it got incredibly tedious

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Thingamajig

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Jedit posted:

Hope you enjoy relentless misogyny. Great score, poo poo attitude to women.

I really didn’t care for Blood Machines either. There’s no substance to that film, just mediocre actors on top of that somewhat exhausting Seth Ickerman visual style.

Watching the Turbo Killer video 10x and imagining your own backstory would be a far superior experience

https://youtu.be/er416Ad3R1g?si=yDDq8XoBM0tgI46M

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

I wonder if Cemetery Man is from the new scan that was done for the recent UHD release.

Pretty sure that will be the case, Alligator also showed up shortly after the UHD was released

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

fr0id posted:

Hey everyone! I would like create a kickas playlist of the best horror themes of all times. We’ve got og Halloween. We’ve got Helen’s theme from candyman. We’ve got tubular bells. We’ve got everything goblin. We’ve got freebied from devils rejects. Please throw any and everything horror that reminds you of it. I’ll add it all to make a kickass playlist.

Most of this

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

A Fancy Hat posted:

[Land of the Dead] just kinda feels like a rough draft of an AMAZING movie, which is mostly due to studio interference and budget cuts.

Did the studio really mess with him, or was it just a modest budget to start with? Wikipedia mentioned that Fox was somehow trying to get rights to the franchise by insisting it be titled “Night of the Living Dead” which is why he went with Universal.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Doltos posted:

The real first introduction for horror was this though:

Never read this but I immediately recognized that creepy, dreamy watercolor style from a childhood favorite:

Sure enough, same artist did the interior paintings

Also have to give a big shout out to the Crestwood House Monster Series, aka the orange monster books

Highly coveted items in the elementary school library, let me tell you

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

High Warlord Zog posted:

What PG spooky film or show has the best creature design? My gut pick is The Other Mother from Coraline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G93OIEJLJE&t=45s

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I tried Tubi once and after the first ad break it restarted the episode I was watching from the beginning. Immediately uninstalled

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is Late Night With the Devil a good pick to watch with people who maybe aren’t the biggest horror fans?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I remember The End of Evangelion having a ton as well; I don’t watch a ton of anime but I feel like that’s fairly typical for them

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Anybody seen the TV series Werewolf from 1987? It’s probably most notable for being part of the original Fox lineup when the network launched.

A college kid gets turned by his infected roommate, kills him, and tries to hunt down the originator of the bloodline while in turn being hunted by a bounty hunter (named Joe Rogan of all things). They wisely don’t tie the cycle to the full moon so people transform when convenient for the plot. Werewolves designed by Rick Baker, although these are the discount specials with minimal facial movements and they kind of look like wolf gorillas.

I’m digging it so far. Outside of the pilot movie which was a bit padded, episodes are a brisk 23 minutes. I can’t remember the last time I saw a show that wasn’t a comedy with runtimes like that. The limited budget means the soundtrack is either synth stuff or an 80s guitar thing which adds to the vibes. Chuck Connors is a mean looking mofo as the Big Bad, and I think he gets replaced by Brian Thompson in S2.

I’m just watching VHS rips on YouTube so the quality is rear end but it helps mask the effects. Tons of smoky night shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
“Jaws at Sea World” should be cool but just isn’t. It’s the type of movie where if you saw it on a weekend afternoon on TV when you were a kid it seemed really awesome but it absolutely does not hold up.