Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

MakaVillian posted:

If it doesn't come with the snake helmet, what's the point

They're apparently a bit dangerous, the snapping-close effect gets really close to the actor's face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Teal'c is knee deep in priestesses and ex-wives, no need to ruin Jack's chances as well

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Over 25 years is pretty amazing for any website, let alone one with a pretty specific topic range / shows with no new content

God, look at that hair :syoon:

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Armacham posted:

Lmao I never realized that they recast Dr Weir between seasons.

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2021/06/jessica-steen-finally-reveals-why-stargate-recast-dr-weir/

"I just love Burning Man THAT much"

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Can't really blame him, guy decided to be a Dad

It really helped the other chars in s8, and when RDA was around it really made the arc episodes even more important

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

snergle posted:

last night i went to watch just 1-2 episodes but the episodes were so good i had to force myself to turn it off and go to bed.

the first one was where a gouald was pretending to be a rebel leader. that dudes voice when he is giving a speech was so good. the entire episode was great

the 2nd was the one where they take nid people from death row to go save a planet they endangered. one of them sacrafices himself to save sg1 and the other dies saving sam.

the 3rd was the one where daniel dies / ascends this was a great one but mostly for the jack / daniel stuff. jack telling daniel he basically used him as a concious then refusing to let earth let the other planet pin the blame on daniel. plus the flash back showing how daniel got the radiation poisoning. also this is a hell of a send off for a character.

the 4th was the one right after daniel dies. the 2nd one was when the gouald attack thor and capture him we learn some cool poo poo about the asgardians and its still a good episode plus we finally sort of see anubis and the power he has.

Producer on ep1: "Christopher Judge wants more words and less eyebrow, give him a MLK episode or something"
Producer on ep2: "We need a CIA episode! Humans are cheap!!"
Producer on ep3: "We need an episode that reinforces the deep-seated masculine love of Jack x Daniel, so fans will forever write fanfic"
Producer on ep4: "Holy poo poo, did you know that if the bad guy wears a face mask, we don't need to waste millions on the goa'uld makeup?!

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

redshirt posted:

Imagine being poor Daniel and she won't stop hitting on you.

Don't forget about Muscles!

(how can someone's smile be so attractive and yet be so demonic)

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

well why not posted:

I fully agree but I think Emmerich or someone in his gang was making noises about a film continuation that ignored the series. I think with a Mayan influence.

An old Kurt Russell playing an cranky old O'Neil (one L) with a ridiculous moustache works for me

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Zadok Allen posted:

My favorite part of SG1 were the Goa’uld and the Replicators. That episode where they encountered the humanoid Replicators the first time was creepy as gently caress. The show dropped in quality after both storylines of these species wrapped up in season 8.

I can't really fault them for this - iirc, writers/actors/staff (everyone but the money people) felt that they were lucky enough to get renewed for a season 8, and that there was no chance of going for a season 9, let alone a movie. RDA had also gone part-time (he had been feeling this since...end of s6?) and Atlantis had just started their first season and seemed like it was going to be pretty good. Why would the producers pay for two series in the same franchise at the same time?! (I know, crazy right)

So they just said "gently caress it" and decided to end up finishing up all the big plotlines - Anubis, Thor, Replicators, Jacob/Selmak, etc - all had a really satisfying ending, and I think all of the fans were like "holy gently caress, we finally got a proper ending to a sci-fi show". And producers don't like that, so they said "hey, here's the cash for s9+s10, make it work".

I can't imagine being a writer at that time :smith: ?? :unsmith: ??

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

redshirt posted:

The windows were only an issue a couple of times. No one really came through blasting that often.

Did get pierced by an arrow though.

The Native American episode? wtf was going on there

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Rappaport posted:

Sam's love life was such a disaster. Martouf, Pete? Like, Pete? Geez louise lady, you can do better than Pete.

There's a reason her fan nickname is Black Widow

FFT posted:

In Heroes part 1 he gets filmed testing out the new anti-staff weapon armor plates, then later when they interview Janet he's in the background getting patched up lmao

"Why does this always happen to me?!!?"

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

redshirt posted:

Did we ever see the Goa'uld change up their tactics when dealing with Earth?

Ba'al did, so, other than him.

I mean, it's Ba'al, he's just so magnificent bastard-y. Anubis has a whole Ancient database in him when he ascended, so he's got some lateral thinking skills.

All the other Gou'ald are just mostly too arrogant to try anything different, and they just love the idea of a billion slaves dying in their name - very pre-old Testament style. Of course, there's a lot of Trojan horse attacks - sneaky ZPMs (Camulus), sex drugs (Hathor/Seth), etc.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

redshirt posted:

Is there a bigger and more dangerous villain than Senator Kinsey?

President Kinsey

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

snergle posted:

i vote yes. he was there for for almost an entire year while carter worked out how to build their sokkar lazer to get tealc enough room to mine his way in.

I assume thats one of the few planets that has a baby jack around. ide be suprised if tealc had a kid anywhere and daniel definatly has one where he was prince fuckboy and probably like 6 more

100% yes Jack, man needed some emotional repair
500% yes Teal'c, after his wife died and Rya'c was off training, I'm sure Teal'c realised just had much he had raw sex appeal he had
2000% yes Daniel, it's just his thing to go on a planet and gently caress a native
0% Carter, the Black Widow is both a semen demon and a literal man eater

-100% Rodney

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

redshirt posted:

I love the meta meta that Joe references The Simpsons.

When Jack got a Tok'ra in him, can you imagine it's shock

"Who the gently caress is Homer?"

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The problem with the Ori is that they are just the Goa'uld without any of the things that make the Goa'uld interesting or fun. They are just "sufficiently advanced aliens pretending to be gods." The Goa'uld were fun because they were all eccentric assholes high on their own farts who committed hard to the bit and/or came to genuinely buy into it. The Ori were not really seen and their servants were boring true believers.

I agree that something new was probably needed by that point, but that therein is exactly the problem: the Ori were not new. They were just the same enemy as before, only vastly less interesting.
Say whatever you want about the Wraith or Replicators but they were both very much not the Goa'uld.

I liked the concept of the Ori - "oh poo poo, it's evil ancients who really ARE gods! How the gently caress are we gonna win?!"

And then, they kinda weren't seen. At all. A couple of evil priests, but no constant "oh poo poo its a snakehead" vibe

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

credburn posted:

Well gang I've started watching SG-1. I have seen the movie and a few episodes of Atlantis, but I basically know nothing about SG-1 but for what I've skimmed across in this thread or what my neighbor has told me.

Episode 1, Part 1: "Children of the Gods" - Wow, there's a way higher body count than I thought there was going to be. Didn't realize the dude with the gold thing on his face was a bad guy.
Episode 1, Part 2: "The Enemy Within" - The second part of the first episode, technically, I think? Whenever I read Teal'C's name, I read it as "Teal-C" or what kind of sounds like, "TLC". Poor Kowalski :( Why do so many army outfits have a guy named Kowalski?

This show is in that perfect awful spot where CG is new and doable but not yet good, where television can be more theatrical and serialized but not yet at a Sopranos like level.

The party of four forming could have been taken right from any D&D session, I love it.

Teal'c. Always with an apostrophe, my friend

Also, s1e3 - Emancipation - is by far the worst episodes of the entire franchise. Feel free to skip, but if you do watch it - don't feel like it's a representation of anything.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

redshirt posted:

"Sam and Sam" is one of the working titles of my fanfiction. ;)

Hey, it's one of Jack's fanfictions as well.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

crispix posted:

shavadai :mad:

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

redshirt posted:

And then the Asgard are like, well, we're out. Here's our stuff. Good luck!

If there's gonna be a big loving battle between good and bad gods, and only the "lesser" humans survive - well, that's Norse mythology 101!

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

redshirt posted:

He felt like a threat the entire episode, but as a "sexist abusive customer" for the most part IMO, until the end when he reveals himself as the galaxy wide threat he is.

ANUBIS, EVIL CONQUEROR (who amazingly is still alive and hasn't died of a heart attack, I mean he's a big guy)

ANUBIS, RE-ASCENDED (I mean honestly why didn't they cast George as the grandfather in Modern Family is beyond me)

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

JediTalentAgent posted:

Did the show ever go into detail about the reaction of the System Lords after the death of Ra and up to the start of SG-1? When did they start to learn the Tau'ri caused it? Etc.

There was a little bit about the power vacuum after Ra ate a nuke in the movie, and how Apophis' attempted invasion on Earth was an attack of retribution for this (end of s1 / time travel episode), and how this failure weakened his spot in the System Lords (somewhere in s2). Who knows how Apophis dialed into Earth at the start of the series - maybe he stole some gate addresses from Ra's leftover empire?

I imagine the Goa'uld/Apophis learnt more about Earth specifically after Skarra/Share got a snake in the head. Enough to remember that it wasn't another Goa'uld that killed Ra, at least.

Goa'uld politics is good poo poo

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

redshirt posted:

I don't think we see them go back, but there's a Season 7 episode where Daniel brings Chaka (his Unas friend) to a different plant that has Unas, where Earth wants to mine naquadah but the Unas see it as a holy site. It's mentioned that there are societal changes back on slaver planet.

Chaka sooouuu

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Leandros posted:

^^Athena!

I could see him Trumping his way into the oval office if he was left alone in s9.

Anyway is there a reason Ronon is so tremendously bland? Did the writers, Momoa or both suck?

A bit of both. Momoa is very good at the "Big loving badass dude who can beat the poo poo out of the physical threat of the week", but he's not exactly a great actor.
This doesn't mean he's a bad, or middling actor - he just knows what he excels at, and doesn't try to break that in a show that asks him to be just that.

The character isn't super deep though, or unique: "I've lost my family, I'll have my vengeance, the quirky yet noble humans will warm my cold broken heart, etc etc" - nothing that hasn't been done before.

Needed a bit more spice somewhere

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Teal'c fitting in well at the Game of the Year awards

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Elon Musk is a guaold. Explains everything

would the world be better or worse if he had a sarcophagus?

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

redshirt posted:

One of the lesser, dumber Goa'ulds.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

1glitch0 posted:

That's the exact dude I was thinking of when redshit said Musk was a Goa'uld.

A cool haircut does wonders

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

JediTalentAgent posted:

In two alternative timelines, maybe three (?), Daniel seems to be doing fairly poorly professionally and financially without having the Stargate job. If there was any family wealth, Daniel either squandered it, spent it all on his education, or lost it through other means.

I mean, Grandfather (Great Uncle?) Jackson was also a crazy conspiracy nut, so who knows

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

redshirt posted:

Remember Jonas's hot Goa'uld girlfriend?

Are you kidding, who could forget that pixie cut :3:

edit: the goa'uld, not jonas

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
RDA has been a cool dude on TV since...the late 70s? god drat that's 40 years when he retired

Not one scandal, Canada obviously turns Americans into good people

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

TK-42-1 posted:

Yeah, the most unrealistic thing in the entire show is that no one leaked.

You've got the big 5 governments hiding it as well - maybe someone said "it's not just Area 51, the big governments ALL KNOW! IT"S A WORLDWIDE CONSPIRACY!!!" And then they realised "hang on, how can everyone be in on a conspiracy? is it truly a conspiracy then?"

While watching DS9, familiar faces

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

redshirt posted:

I had X-Files on in the background and I heard a voice....

Could that be?

It's General Hammond!

I had Twin Peaks on in the background and I heard a voice....

Could that be?

It's Major Hammond!

(seriously, 1990)

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Someone's SG-1 collection:

It's nice to see the probe is too big for the ramp and, once again, useless for anything and everything

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

FFT posted:

Shortly after the episode of Universe where French Stewart showed up,

Yo, you absolutely do not do a kidney surgery cutting into the abdomen with the subject lying on their back!!!

French Stewart....in SGU?!

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
- Being the moral compass is pretty poo poo when you've got 2 warrior guys who kill for a living + 1 trained warrior girl who loves mad science
- Having a teeny weeny small pistol when your friends have a 2x full-auto MP5 + 1x Big loving Staff
- The ability to learn and read all languages is awesome but doesn't fit in 45 minutes of screen time
- Being emotional broken means you can't get emotionally fixed, because the fans don't like it any other way - unless you're the bottom bitch in Jack x Dan fanfic (or Teal'C x Dan, or Thor x Dan, or Jolinar x Dan)
- Action sci-fi brings more ratings, and you can definitely feel that s4/s5 was leaning towards more military/airforce-y stuff
- The transition from a 90s longer haircut to a shorter 00s haircut is difficult for any actor

edit: which episode is worse, Emancipation or Spirits (Native American episode)

KajiTheMelonMan fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 8, 2024

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

dr_rat posted:

Everyone called Jackson the moral compass of the group but he was all for heartlessly killing the Goa'uld, our kind and just gods, so how moral could he really be, huh?

don't forget the time he literally took over the USA and nuked Moscow

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

MakaVillian posted:

I think I would say "Chevron seven is engaged!" as an homage to Captain Picard.

Then I would go fart on Walter's pillow and give him pinkeye because he's such a baby.

Edit: IGN seemed to really like Stargate Timekeepers :shrug:

"Chevron 7....ready to ROCK THE gently caress OUT! GIVE IT TO ME SLY!!!!"

*Sylvester Siler guitar solo, complete with stunts and explosions*

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Worf posted:

and look where they are now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfmYCM4CS8o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KajiTheMelonMan