Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Immunocompromised and always masking crew representin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

shart attack posted:

i dont think aching wood is a symptom of long covid but pat should see a doctor or nurse and try to be nice to them to get the result he's looking for

I have heard that not getting wood at all is a long covid symptom tho so definitely see your doctor if you cant get wood after covid.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Rescue Toaster posted:

I swear someone posted a couple months back about an expired Lucira showing positive, that I think ended up being a false positive after multiple RAT and/or maybe a PCR.

I would definitely isolate as if positive until you can get some confirmation. But I might not break out the paxlovid yet.

It was me.

Took another lucira and got a negative and scheduled a pcr and got negative. Also did a RAT every 12 hours until pcr results and isolated as if positive.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I've said it before but it really does matter for gender/stature a lot. I'm a smaller woman and ive definitely had a few odd run ins including at work.
That being said, only like 3 times in 3 years but Im also a home body anyway and have basically skipped a ton of events and professional stuff because i'd just rather not.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Rosalind posted:

There is compelling evidence that masks and seatbelts work and that drunk driving is ridiculously dangerous.

I know the point you're trying to make which is the idea that one does not need to do an RCT of parachutes to know that they work. That is to say that there are other evidentiary standards that should be sufficient for causality. But, I would note that cancer is not nearly as simple as a parachute or drunk driving or a seatbelt. Cancer is not a monolith, but the cause of many cancers is a combination of tons of genetic, environmental, dietary, etc. factors interacting over the lifespan which is very different from a car crash or someone coming down with an infectious disease where the cause is much more easily observable.

I am urging caution in the absence of evidence that COVID is in fact causing cancer (at least in a new or more dangerous way compared to other diseases).

There's a pile of virally caused cancers so the idea of a virus causing cancer is not surprising. For some areas of the world such as Uganda, virally caused cancer encompasses about 20% of cancer.

Wear a mask. Avoid situations where you'd get covid. It's only been a few years and with long covid tearing so many people up, there's no reason to not be wary of it.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 19:53 on Aug 21, 2023

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Absolutely cannot understand the logic of "hate reading" a thread anymore.

Go read something you enjoy!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Is it hoarding advil when i keep a bottle of it around in case I get a headache?

Is it hoarding nyquil/dayquil if I keep boxes of it around when I don't have a cold????

Tylenol has some of the absolute loving worst side effects and will destroy your liver. Oh gently caress I have a bottle of tylenol. I'm hoarding a dangerous drug.

edit: I have narcan in my cabinet despite not being an addict. IM HOARDING. IM HOARDING OVER HERE.

edit: I looked in my cabinet and I also still have some SSRIs from all the times my doctor was throwing poo poo at the wall trying to find something that worked.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 20:02 on Aug 21, 2023

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Lib and let die posted:

they literally work in the system.

which system :tinfoil:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

:thejoke:
(im not actually a tin foil hat person)

I did work for a cancer research center that did a ton of specifically virally based cancer study though which definitely opened my eyes to how many diseases lead to cancer or other nasty poo poo later. Not as a doctor, more admin but they required us to attend at least 1 talk a month for a few years for me. IT was a big reason why with covid I took it very seriously from day one and have continued to take it seriously.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 20:08 on Aug 21, 2023

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

bedpan posted:

doc tried to write me a prescription for ivermectin, zinc, and quercetin

fukking quack. quercetin? everyone knows you want rutin and not quercetin

All doctors are perfect who never make bad or wrong decisions and have no political pressure.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol This is literally the dumbass vaccine "hoarding" logic from 2 years ago. Incredible. No one one literally took a shot out of anyones arms. There were millions of doses literally thrown away.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

sonatinas posted:

lol like this thread has the juice to make a dent in pax hoarding.

THERES DOZENS OF US

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Rosalind posted:

A plague of that awful paxlovid taste of burnt metallic grapefruit upon you all.

But my argument was never that "hoarding" (a word that was probably not the right choice) was going to cause shortages of paxlovid. It was that it may lead to providers tightening prescribing guidelines which would make these medications more difficult for people to access in the future (including those who need it immediately) and also that paxlovid is no joke and people could start medications resulting in life-threatening side effects if they then start a course of paxlovid.

There was another user implying that hoarding was going to take paxlovid out of someone elses mouth.

The problem that happens with this thread is some times really obvious sealioning posters makes having conversations with reasonable folks difficult because it ends up crossing the streams.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

The Oldest Man posted:

Unless the prescription drug in question is weed, then that's a good way to have A Good Time

or not :( weed makes me feel super awful.

My doctor did suggest it for ovarian cyst pain since I had no desire to be on opiates.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Bob getting covid, cracking his face and almost dying, then immediately going back to "yeah its fine to catch covid" is incredible

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Can't believe a bunch of liberals are calling for decorum from people who are being crushed by policy.

Joe Biden insists covid is over (not for him, he keeps a massive mobile air cleaning system with him for all of his talks and demands everyone tests around him) so by god the liberals will make the covid be over.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

fosborb posted:

i don't think you're saying this, but it's being misread as such. if I go into walgreens right now and grab a handful of boxes of childrens tylenol I think that would be considered hoarding because there have been shortages all over. that's assuming the Walgreens would even let you, tbh. a bit moot, because 1) there appears to be no shortage of paxlovid, and 2) the prescription / non-prescription access differences make it an entirely different situation I think

My issue is that the US healthcare system has made doing things like that a requirement even before covid. In many states for many years the best plan of action around plan B was to get it prescribed and then just keep a box around in case you need it because like pax it has a very short window to take it and have it be effective. So calling out someone preemptively getting a box of a prescription drug that is probably less dangerous than say - tylenol - is kind of ridiculous.

I also called out keeping narcan around for the same reason. It's a very time sensitive drug that was very gate kept for a long time. I've had doctors preemptively prescribe me meds before and I dont think that this is like an unusual occurance. Good doctors know that getting medications can be an absolute crapshoot.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Corrigenda posted:

Even if this is said in jest, which viewing your previous posts in the threads its not, this is akin to "don't listen to doctors." This is the sort of crap that needs to be curtailed for this threads culture to change.

There's a reason no one in this thread wants to move it out of cspam. We want to be able to make light hearted jokes while also discussing this disease that cripples 10-20% of the people who get it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
A friend of mine who asked for pax when he got covid had his doctor say no "because it causes rebounds" which was just patently wrong but my friend was wary of sesamecare/hidrb/etc so he just suffered through 2 weeks of misery and then also had a rebound because... wow its not pax that causes rebounds, covid just does that sometimes.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Rosalind posted:

Thank you. I apologize for being a bit harsh in my replies as well.

You know a week ago I thought this thread shouldn't exist. I no longer believe that. It's generally benign and I think most people here are posting genuinely and considerately. I came in here expecting to be driven out with pitchforks and torches but mostly people are chill.

I don't subscribe to the particular sense of a doomed, crumbling society that many people in this thread do. I think the US is a big mess and awful in a million ways but I fundamentally have the naïve and doe-eyed hope that it will get better. As a queer woman and second generation immigrant living in a blue city in a blue state, I feel safer now than I did 20 years ago. I recognize I have a lot of privileges though in that regard and in terms of my employment, education, etc that insulate me from the worst of the realities of modern America. I will try to better consider this when I write my posts.

Still, I am going to continue posting from my perspective as long as I am welcome to do so. I can't promise I'll never argue, but I recognize that people here mean well and we're all just trying to stay healthy in a deeply hosed up world.

Glad to have you. Always love having new serious posters in thread.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Corrigenda posted:

My apologies, I guess I've misunderstood, but it certainly seems like you guys are making light of the reason the SAD thread was reopened, instead of taking it seriously. I don't want this thread to be gassed.

: finger guns :

Making fun of the cop forum is apart of cspam culture.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

The Oldest Man posted:

These guys are pushing to get opioid prescribing privileges in this state now btw and all I can say is :rubby:

Its fine, they love nature - its right in their name - naturopath. Theyll just prescribe.... milk of the poppy ... instead.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
* jumps back into the cop car *

IM CALLING MY SUPERVISOR AND ILL BE BACK

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Colin Mockery posted:

my parents want me to visit them in a couple weeks but they won't mask anymore because no one else does and they don't want to look like crazy freaks, so im going to roll the dice because i love my parents more than i love my lungs

pray for me, thanks

You can still love your parents and they can still love you if you mask and they don't. It isnt all or nothing

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol saw a good one in the wild on linkedin

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

biceps crimes posted:

why tf are there 500 posts in here since I looked last night? is there a covid wave or somethin?

B.A. 2.86 aka Pirola is spreadin fast.

Also: signed up and did the training videos and filled out the forms and stuff to become a cat foster mom today :3 very excited. Staying plenty busy and still masking and still never caught covid. Through ignoring all peer pressure, good things are possible.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 00:32 on Aug 23, 2023

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
All something awful threads are improved with food chat. To contribute

Im making homemade chicken alfredo pizza tonight.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
If we need to make it a probatable thing to say covid is like an airborne auto immune deficiency syndrome to keep the sad crew from going nuts - just implement the rule.

I dont think any of the regulars here effectively give a poo poo and just dont want people riled up at the comment.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I dont really know why its so hard to just assume everyone in this thread has a very good and valid reason to be avoiding covid. That's the good faith assumption i make.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

StratGoatCom posted:

I want calibanibal back, he was funny in ever thread even if I didn't think it at the time.

I will forever miss snoo and twoday in this thread.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Homeless Friend posted:

the easiest way to post in qcs is to say stuff normally (tall order for goons). you are unbeatable as the other person is without a doubt gonna freak tf out or you’ll run out the clock. boomshakalaka

im too autistic to know what normal is, im sorry

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
IM PIZZA POSTIN OVAH HEAH

home made chicken alfredo pizza. used the king arthur quick thin crust recipe today.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I havent really posted in gbs since the great whatever the gently caress happened of 2015? Is it like normal now over there?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Shiroc posted:

I just saw posters for a Janelle Monáe show next week and now need to decide how much I trust my respirator.

you should go and trust your respirator 100%. I fully support.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
cue was funny and prominent for a few months of like late 2020-21? (my sense of time scale might be off) when google and other tech companies were trying to get people to go back to work fast and so they gave a ton of employees cue testing set ups and then people held parties where they all infected each other because not everyone would test and probably just the lag time on detection.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

What's the lady version of this?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I can't remember what the feelings have been on Your Local Epidemiologist but they did a pretty detailed write up on BA2.86

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substack.com/p/a-new-variant-ba286

The good news section is a little comical.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

bedpan posted:

your avatar is more topical to COVID than might normally be expected since CBT is something recommended for recovering from long covid

Wait cock and ball torture or cognitive behavioral therapy

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Eating a variety of fruits and veg is never a bad thing. Throw a beet in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The vibes in this thread are like if you are at work and your boss is just constantly standing behind you watching for you to do something wrong.

It sucks and I hate it now.