Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I have long hair so once I found a good earloop mask I just used one of those. That said the salon I go to is mask friendly and about half of the people in there are masked when I go. Plus easily obtainable iota-carrageenan in Canada.

I did tape a mask on my face but I did use medical tape and put a little effort into not making it look like poo poo in other circumstances. Duct tape seems harsh on the skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Is there a reason that RATs haven't updated? Just economically unviable to keep up with variant soup?

If you ignored the money/capitalism parts (yes, big ask, I know) would it work to get a year RAT update? As a layperson it seems like it'd be a lot easier to update something that isn't injected into someone like the vaccines are.

(I know the powers that be say if you don't test you don't have covid, etc.)

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Soap Scum posted:

ah, word, thought i might have missed it during my posting break. that's cool one exists there, although i don't live there anymore, so :') might check w/ friends in the area and see if anyone wants and send you a PM if so though

my understanding is that a correctly performed RAT (low and slow, throat, etc.) is still pretty good at detecting presence. iirc the area the antigen binds to is pretty highly conserved and hasn't changed that much since wild type? someone could correct me if i'm wrong.

aside from that: FDA approval for a new RAT is expensive in time/money, and i guess if the old one works well enough, no one wants to spend the money on that process.

it's annoying but that's why being mentally prepared to try a couple of these mills when the time comes is good. out of sesame, push, and drb, unless you're truly contra-indicated, you'll likely get the okay at least once. good luck D:

The Oldest Man posted:

RATs detect the nucleocapsid protein which is highly conserved; they still work just fine. The problem is people aren't swabbing right or are expecting miracles that they could never provide in terms of pre-symptomatic detection.

DominoKitten posted:

I went to try and read up on how the RATs even work on a variant level because I didn't know and this brief NIH explainer talks about how they've done research on this and I guess the RATs as they currently stand have a high robustness to changes in the virus? It seems like the question is whether or not any sample you're giving the RAT has enough viral material in it to detect. A PCR can catch a much smaller amount of virus due to the incredible sensitivity of the process, where it's amplifying what's there over and over until it can be detected.

Thanks, I'm weirdly relieved that its more of a skill issue than a variant issue for why RATs don't perform the way I wished they did. There's many other problems, but at least there's one less than I thought.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Does anyone find that iota carrageenan gives them post nasal drip? I feel so gross the day after I use it but I don't know how much of that has been wildfire smoke and/or various other non-respiratory virus reasons.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Morbus posted:

Putting just about anything up your nose may or may not cause irritation. Carrageenan is generally regarded as safe and well-tolerated, but some people do have allergies or sensitivities to it, including some people with alpha-gal allergy (which, incidentally, is more prevalent in many places than people appreciate)

But if you've been breathing wildfire smoke or had a respiratory infection I don't think you can really pin it on the nasal spray

Yeah that's what I figured. I tend to have sensitive passageways even in the beforetimes (double beforetimes of before the pandemic and before garunteed smoke season). Sometimes regular saline nasal rinses just don't feel great.

Is alpha-gal allergy something you can get without the tick bite?

I also don't use it daily. Just a hermit and I use it once or twice a week for groceries/etc. I probably wouldnt be able to tolerate it for more than a day BUT beats getting covid again.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Morbus posted:

Nobody knows for sure. Empirically, tick bites, or lifestyle/location factors that predispose one to them, are definitely a risk factor. Some other parasites and vector-borne diseases have been implicated, and even bee stings, but tick bites are the best supported cause right now. Some people with alpha-gal allergy have no known history of being bitten by a tick, but of course many (most?) tick bites go unnoticed.

Many people have anti alpha-gal antibodies, and these are believed/known to be protective against many vector-borne diseases and even some non vector-borne diseases (funnily enough, there is even a paper or two out there indicating a protective effect against SARS-CoV-2, but idk). It is believed that new world apes including humans lost the ability to make alpha-gal specifically so their immune systems could safely produce such antibodies. This makes it possible to develop an alpha-gal allergy, but nobody entirely understands the mechanism by which that happens, when it happens, or why it happens sometimes and not other times.

One of life's many, many mysteries.

While reading more about the allergy I found out about a similar allergy called Pork-Cat syndrome which I only bring up because of its name is silly.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

BusError posted:

How concerned should we be about a rash developing, about a week and a half into covid infection? I tried googling about this but came up with mostly not that helpful stuff. It's on her arms and knees. Is this just one of those "yeah that can happen" symptoms that doesn't make it onto every list?

I had a big bout of urticaria + swelling about 10 days after testing positive (last year, though) and I ended up getting prednisone for it. Just adding to the anecdotes, but I did find a article that I forgot to bookmark that said it wasn't uncommon. It was definitely my worst not-long-covid related symptom but ended up being treatable with prednisone + more antihistamines + rest + don't scratch please stop scratching oneself.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Strep Vote posted:

Lavender Breatheteq masks arrived today and they are a very friendly color for those of us who gotta look like we're not trying too hard.

I'm glad there's manufacturer's making colourful masks.

I've been getting these ones https://www.ppe-supply.com/products/kind-mask-5pc lately and they're surprisingly comfy. Doesn't look like mask nerd got to them yet but they are KN95s at least and I break out the Aura when I'm going somewhere more pestilent than a 30min trip to the grocery store.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Steve Yun posted:

https://twitter.com/luckytran/status/1706363876738994503?s=46

Canada made the mistake of not recalibrating their Covid severity meters

Keep in mind this is just some professor with a big spreadsheet giving out these numbers and calibrations. I'm too dumb when it comes to data stuff like this to make a judgement on whether they're good/bad numbers. poo poo sucks regardless and I've been just relying on anecdotal evidence (number of coworkers out sick, coughs on the bus, etc)

The government doesn't really bother summarizing or disseminating information. Its there, if you look for it, for some things.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Pingui posted:

Remembering that the likelihood of getting COVID went up the two weeks post vaccination, I think a bunch of people got straight up COVID at the mass vaccination sites.

Edit: Which in the lighter cases could have been perceived as vaccine side effects.

I remember sitting in a very stuffy community gym for 75 minutes before getting my first shot and musing about that exact thing.

(Second shot was a drive-thru and third is now a spirit Halloween. )

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

The other thing to remember about Post-Covid fatigue stuff is that sometimes it takes 12-48 hours to show up, too, so you can't always tell how much you hosed yourself up until you end up being unable to walk 1km without a break or two the day after.

I don't know exactly where the lines between regular hosed-up-by-covid fatigue and PEM/PESE are, but the advice is the same. You'll have the rest of your life to push things around and jog if you rest for several weeks.

Edit: aw new page. Advice is for everyone anyways.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Fell Mood posted:

Thanks. I've had a stress test at a cardiologist, apparently no blockages.

My pet theory since the problem comes and goes, is that my vessels are sometimes constricted and not dilating properly. Maybe from a round of covid that killed my mother and laid me down for a solid month. Maybe just too much cortisol from all the (gestures around at everything).

Kind of late replying to this, but while your symptoms don't fit POTS it is a common post-COVID symptom. Gonna just kind of describe my experience to see if there's any similarities that you could bring to a doctor to get actual treatment.
POTS is a poorly understood cardiovascular thing where one sub-type is that your blood vessels don't constrict properly when you need them too (eg. standing up, bipedalism is hard) so your heart compensates with palpitations/tachycardia. POTS fits my experience with post-COVID heart weirdness, which is thankfully the less scary kind of heart weirdness compared to pericarditis/myocarditis/etc. POTS apparently didn't show up on my holter in a way that the test lab flagged, but my doctor said it was there just mild. I can tell with a fitbit, which is unscientific, but helps with the "oh poo poo I've been standing up for 10+ minutes and my heart is pounding, that's why I feel bad." Its gotten a little milder over the last 21 months but I imagine a lot of it is just simply being being better at managing it. Its often not correlated with high blood pressure (possibly low) and IANAD, just someone who's mad about post-COVID stuff.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

The only silver lining for my current (and maybe forever) struggle with long covid is that it makes it easy to decide on boundaries. It is hard and I can't imagine what it's like to have kids or a partner with a job that goes against covid precautions.

I know an end isn't in sight but it just seems like it's getting more difficult. I really can't imagine anything getting substantially better in the next 6mo. I know the wheels are moving on long covid research but I am so loving sick of resting for so many hours. It's the most boring loving things to lie there, not moving, eyes closed and fully conscious. Music helps but that's the maximum stimulation I get.

Just well enough to be enraged not well enough to do anything about it. I went for a 5 minute walk yesterday and it made me so sick I couldn't work today. This loving sucks and theres enough evidence it'll be for the rest of my miserable life.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Kragger99 posted:

Moth Juice approved in Canada:

https://globalnews.ca/news/10149249/novavax-updated-covid-vaccine-health-canada-approval/?utm_source=site_banner

Nuvaxovid XBB.1.5 has been authorized for people ages 12 and older and is designed to protect against Omicron XBB.1.5 subvariants. It may be given to people who have been previously vaccinated or who have not previously had a shot, Health Canada said.

The updated vaccine stands apart from other COVID-19 shots, as it’s protein-based and does not use mRNA technology. These vaccines contain a modified version of the spike protein itself, unlike mRNA vaccines that have molecular manufacturing instructions for the body to make the spike protein.

Only one dose of the updated vaccine is needed for those Canadians who have already had their primary series, according to Health Canada. However, if you have previously not been vaccinated, you will need two doses of the primary series.

:canada:

Yess!!

That said I have no idea how much they'll gatekeep this, and if I'll be eligible before it becomes as irrelevant as the primary series. :sigh:

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Pingui posted:

:canada:

That's 2 million adult Canadians currently experiencing long COVID symptoms.

If you took all those people and compared them to the population of metro areas in Canada, you'd get 3rd or 4th place. :sigh:

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Pink Mist posted:

Is caffeine unrecommended post-covid due to cardiovascular effects?

I only have my own experience but I only slightly reduced my caffeine intake for PASC. I tried reducing it greatly and the palpitations didn't change and I was so, so groggy. The alertness was so much more valuable. I can't go back to the amount I drank before because I can't get up to anything and I end up wasting the alertness on physically resting.

I had no heart based risk factors before covid, however.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Pingui posted:

Very thorough study trying to determine the cause of post-exertional malaise (PEM), as well as defining the condition in biological terms. I have tried cutting it down as much as I could (still a bit unsure if I should have kept the amyloid deposit stuff in; I'll just note that they were outside the vessels indicating they didn't form microclots), but nevertheless it is pretty long. Pretty pictures though and that's gotta count for something :P
"Muscle abnormalities worsen after post-exertional malaise in long COVID"

News article on the matter:

Results relate to the study posted here:

Thanks Pingui for this!

A sliver lining of all these Long Covid is that PEM actually get studied. I should dig up an study from the beforetimes which found that some PEM sufferers had really thin gut walls which gave them poo blood whenever they exercised. poo blood. Probably going to end up being one of those things where's there's a few different sub-types but regardless having a "its not just malingering" is always, always good.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Wouldn't' discount the roll over of sick time, for the people who have it.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

tangy yet delightful posted:

As a mega-white piece of poo poo coming from the lands of high latitudes I kinda want to get a Vit D test but I'm guessing even with insurance it'd be like $50 and the only real reason would be to post it here so anyway.

First time I ever had to pay for a blood test in :canada: was for Vitamin D ($68) and it was so low that I got put on prescription stuff.

(Its not covered because "vitamin D supplements are cheap and you live in canada, take some" but my Doc said "how deficient you are matters too")

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Have there been any other studies ongoing about metformin and covid since that one last june? It would be nice if this readily available drug had treatment recommendations if it really is effective vs covid.

I would like to know this too.
All I remember is the one study(?) Recommending a few week course immediately after infection. Would be nice to know if it would help me & others out with my long covid turning 2 years old this spring.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

The Oldest Man posted:

Speaking of things disappearing, one of my longest-standing co-workers has had long covid since 2022 (post Omicron I think, I'm not exactly sure when she got sick originally) and it has finally beaten her down enough that she's quitting at the end of the month. I didn't probe her too heavily about it but it's pretty apparent that this is the final defeat in a years long struggle, she likes her job a lot, was promoted even after she got sick, etc. But she just can't sustain it anymore, the fatigue crashes are so bad it's making it impossible for her to live. She's not sure if she can work a full time job at all anymore and might end up moving back in with her parents (she's almost 40) just to stabilize her finances and make sure they collectively have enough money to live on for the long haul.

Everyone will go in the day afterward and continue the act of Returning to Normal, absent a person I've worked with for almost ten years. Some other, probably less capable person will pick up her work. No one will speak about her again.

That's the end of the story, no moral.

My heart goes out for her. I'm having a similar struggle and I would've given up a while ago if I wasn't able to work part time and remote. We had layoffs late last year and that made me think of a possible backup plan.

It so demoralizing.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Ended up finding this vendor for the European 4-in-1 tests: https://www.measie.com/product/4-in-1-combo-test/

Anyone know anything about these guys? They're out of the Netherlands and have no clear "can I order these to Canada?" on their site, but I might see if I can order them to have them if shipping isn't outrageous.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Pingui posted:

Seems like a lot of people suffering from insomnia. Probably fine though, who needs sleep anyways.
"Sleep quality among non-hospitalized COVID-19 survivors: a national cross-sectional study"

News article on the matter:

I hope this does spur more research on insomnia and Covid infections. I feel like it's a good first step kind of study but it seems hard to control variables, like with any study looking at sleep. (Probably won't turn into any new treatments, CBTi is good but people are gonna get regular useless CBT in too few sessions, or just prescribed a CPAP when they don't have sleep apnea. etc)

Out of all my LC symptoms the insomnia has been brutal. Between insomnia and fatigue it makes my life sosososo small and sososo boring. Sux. I can't nap, either. Though naps are a double edged sword with chronic insomnia.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

69 Euro is TOO MUCH for shipping for me, when I can get just-covid tests for free here. I went to my favourite domestic mask supplier website and saw that they at least have these guys: https://www.ppe-supply.com/products/ecotest-covid-19-flu-test that are OUT OF STOCK augh

$9CAD/test which is still more than I want to pay but that's a lot better than loving around with international shipping.

It does seem like they let you order 1870 Aura's by the carton, though, which seems new. They're on sale right now any Canada goons, $640CAD/440 Masks and they ship from Toronto.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

My personal reasoning is that if you're already a target for chuds with regards to your sexuality/gender, you'd not going to wear a mask to paint another huge target on yourself. Especially if you're someone who isn't convinced that covid as bad as it really is.

The isolation from all this isn't to be understated. I've had to completely rewrite my life because of LC and its so, SO difficult to find socialization avenues that aren't either in a restaurant or a hike. If I didn't have LC I would be struggling a lot to keep up being covid-safe. I'm so weak I can't hold up my bass for very long so it makes it easy to go "yup can't play bass with my pals in a room that probably has the worst ventilation imaginable".

I would love it if there was a group to rally behind for covid-safe stuff, even if its ineffective. Posting isn't praxis.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I also wouldn't discount there being a little bit of peach-eating husband where the first article is exaggerating to make a point. The feelings are genuine but to have a cohesive article propping up the "my partner worrying about negative outcomes is harshing the vibes" there's probably a few bits that aren't as cohesive. I still think she's a terrible wife, but there's plenty she's leaving out.

Also with long covid and post viral stuff I think I like PASC better than LC for a term, but lumping it in with everything as just a "post viral bullshit" is just going to help the assholes who just want to call it malingering.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

anyone got a good kn95 or equivalent earloop mask recommendation for Canada these days? I like em for quick gas station pop ins and whatnot but my last order sucked, weak bands and a thin material

I like these guys. https://www.ppe-supply.com/

I couldn't get the vitacore to work with my face, but the ppe-supply ones fit me well, come in fun colours and they're always having sales. Ships from Toronto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I was under the impression that a lot of deadly spider bites were more because of poor wound care than the venom itself. With spiders like the redback or widow just making it extra miserable and difficult to deal with an infected wound from a wild animal.