Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

HazCat
May 4, 2009

shart attack posted:

looking for crowvids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HazCat
May 4, 2009

The Oldest Man posted:

Yeah it's only about as likely to kill you as getting bitten by a poisonous snake is and I do that every day

:australia:

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Australia's lockdowns failed because the country was in a prisoner's dilemma and the NSW government started screaming 'betray betray betray' loud enough for everyone to hear as soon as it was their turn at the table.

But more broadly, covid as it exists today exists so because neoliberalism intentionally destroyed the trust the public needs to have in the government in order to follow public health orders.

You can unironically draw a short straight line directly between the millions of people who have died from covid and Thatcher's belief that 'there's no such thing as society. There are individual men and women and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look after themselves first'.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

The numbers in that chart aren't absolute, they represent a rate of change. Positive/above the line = more people than expected, negative/below the line = fewer people than expected.

So it shows a slight decrease in people retiring relative to expected numbers.

E: actually, it shows a slight increase in people retiring from early 2021 to early 2023, at which point the trend reverses and slightly fewer people are retiring than expected. Which makes sense if you consider that anyone who could retire early did, meaning a lot of those 2021-2022 retirees are now absent from their 'expected' retiring spot in 2023.

And then the carer line is weird, but what the graph represents is 'fewer and fewer people used caring for another person as a reason to miss work, a trend which peaked in early 2021, at which point the trend reversed with more and more people citing it as a reason they missed work, a trend which peaked in mid-2022 before reversing, and now we have the same number of 'missing' carers as we did at the last peak in 2021'. Again, remember that 'fewer and fewer' and 'more and more' here are not absolute numbers, but 'more/fewer than expected'.

And on the other side, there's a slight uptick in people (going back to?) study versus expected numbers, and then a huge increase in sick leave.

E: sorry, the more I look the more I see I missed initially. Study is now only slightly above normal, but it was a very large (positive) difference in 2021-2022 - in fact, it's almost exactly the inverse of the carer trendline, so much so that I wonder if what happened was that people were reducing work hours (or quitting) to go back to study, and then they were also providing care around their (more flexible) study schedule. So they were actually both studying and being carers, but their official reason for quitting/reducing hours was to study, so it's skewing the numbers.

I unfortunately can't look into what the change is actually relative to right now, but I'm sure someone itt will be able to dig it up.

HazCat has issued a correction as of 12:21 on Sep 13, 2023

HazCat
May 4, 2009

kreeningsons posted:

Did Enovid end up being legit?

I got a bottle of that stuff when it came out but at the time was told by this thread that it was snake oil.

Enovid has roughly the same amount of evidence that it's roughly as effective as iota carrageenan nasal sprays.

I think the snake oil accusations weren't due to its effectiveness, but to it being priced at literally ten times what the other sprays cost iirc.

If you already have some, it won't hurt to use as an extra layer in addition to masks (or as a hail mary in cases where you can't mask), but once you use it up don't waste money buying more, just buy the seaweed spray instead.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

RealityWarCriminal posted:

bugs and daffy ripping signs off the tree but they both say covid season

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I mentioned a while back that flesh-eating buruli bacteria ulcers were endemic here in Melbourne Australia and the numbers were increasing every year. In the last 12 months we've had 378 confirmed cases, with 40 cases in my local area

The good news: they're considering a vaccination program which will hopefully turn things around

The bad new: it's an oral bait BCG vaccine program for possums (which are suspected to be the zoonotic reservoir that acts as the vector between mosquitoes and humans) which is only at the proposal stage and they haven't even shown that this particular vaccine will protect possums from the disease yet, although it seems to work in mice.

I'm about to move house, and the memory of this old post of yours is what made me decide to ditch my current bed frame and get a canopy bed (specifically so I can hang mosquito netting from it).

It's mostly about just not getting bitten at all (I'm one of those people with tasty blood, apparently, so it's not uncommon for me to wake up with 20+ bites each morning in summer). But there was also definitely an element of 'if we're going to start seeing weird mosquito-borne diseases more in Melbourne, I don't want to wait until I get an official warning to protect myself'.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Sure do wish we had a competent government that would shut down airlines, amusement parks, hotels, etc. so that people never even get a chance to make terrible decisions that put themselves and society as a whole in danger. Oh well.

A fish rots from the head down.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Platystemon posted:

These figures are also only true for wild rabbits whose ancestors survived numerous waves of myxoma.

When researchers take that “seventy percent fatal” strain of myxoma virus into the laboratory and immaculate rabbits born and bred in captivity, it kills drat near all of them.

Well that sounds fine, since we're doing our level best to ensure every child is exposed to plenty of covid, sometimes even before they make it out of the womb.

The mild strain, the one you want your children infected with.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Zantie posted:

Cutting back on the loving days sounds puritanical.

Also covid is already doing that.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I'm moving apartments and just discovered while packing that I apparently own an air filter and have had it stashed away in a cupboard this entire pandemic :negative:

It will probably not be a very good one, but it's essentially free courtesy of my past self, so I'll take it!

HazCat
May 4, 2009

You're in Aus, yeah?

If so, wait between 2-5 months, then go get the new updated one. Don't go to your GP, go to a pharmacy. If the pharmacist makes a fuss about the last time you had a shot, act confused but polite, leave, and go to another pharmacist until you find one who doesn't ask any questions.

I'm in Melbourne and I got a shot every 3 months on the dot until I decided the returns had diminished to the point it wasn't worth it (which was at 9 shots). I found a pharmacy that didn't care and just kept going back to them. A bunch of the extra shots ended up finding their way onto my official record, and there have been zero consequences for me having had 'too many shots'.

No one cares except some random gatekeepers, so if you can go around them you'll be fine.

Alternatively, if you want to follow the politically-motivated 'medical' advice and wait a year until your next shot, I'd recommend wearing a P2/N95 mask outside your home if you aren't already.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

New cruise ship epidemic just dropped: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-67544888 :nms:

'Wolf spider lays eggs in man's toe during cruise'

I'm starting to suspect that these cruises may not be such a great idea
:thunk:

*me, fearlessly clicking spoilers with wild abandon*: :ohno:

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Owned.

Apologies for the half-assed non-AI upscaling job:

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Platystemon posted:

If you’re doing it in your house and it’s making you ill, you should probably stop doing it though.

Hey now, we don't give medical advice in this thread. Let people determine for themselves what amount of homemade lung bleach is right for them.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

ah, the wreckers phase of movement building

The 'evidence' posted itt of him being a misogynist was literally him saying 'wreckers exist'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HazCat
May 4, 2009