Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
New thread does not have that new thread smell. Rating this product 1. Glad I kept my receipt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So EG.5 is really taking off in Korea.
Deaths(+40.2%) and hospitalizations(+21.5%), too.
The caseload only increased slightly, but they also do not mention at all that there was a typhoon grinding across the entire peninsula last week, which may have had an impact on testing numbers.

https://ncov.kdca.go.kr/tcmBoardView.do?gubun=BDJ&brdId=3&brdGubun=31&dataGubun=&ncvContSeq=7265&board_id=312&contSeq=7265

quote:

During the 2nd week of August (8.6~8.12), the number of new confirmed cases was 349,279, an increase of 0.8% compared to the previous week, but the rate of increase slowed.

The weekly average daily number of confirmed cases was 49,897, and the infection reproduction index was 1.04, which decreased below 1.1 for two consecutive weeks from the 1st week of August.

* Weekly accumulation: (3rd week of July) 253,000 → (4th week of July) 313,000 → (1st week of August) 346,000 → (2nd week of August) 349,000
** Daily average: (3rd week of July) 36,258 people → (4th week of July) 44,841 people → (1st week of August) 49,523 people → (2nd week of August) 49,897 people

Last week, the number of severely ill patients in the hospital increased by 21.5% from the previous week to a daily average of 215, and the number of new deaths increased by 40.2% from the previous week (97 → 136), with a daily average of 19.

* Weekly daily average number of critically ill patients in hospital: (July 3rd week) 142 → (July 4th week) 170 → (August 1st week) 177 → (August 2nd week) 215
** Weekly daily average number of deaths: (3rd week of July) 7 → (4th week of July) 13 → (1st week of August) 14 → (2nd week of August) 19

Currently, all Omicron subsystems, including EG.5 (XBB.1.9.2.5), a subvariant of XBB.1.9.2, are designated as major mutations and are closely monitored. The detection rate of EG.5 in the second week of August was 20.3%, which showed the highest increase in detection* among major mutations identified in Korea.

* Domestic detection rate: (7.3 weeks) 11.8% → (7.4 weeks) 17.8% → (8.1 weeks) 16.8% → (8.2 weeks) 20.3%

The detection rates of XBB.1.9.1 - 23.1% (+1.5%p), XBB.1.16 - 20.5% (+1.1%p), and EG.5 - 20.3% (+3.8%p) increased compared to the previous week, and XBB.1.9 .2 and XBB.2.3 decreased by 9.8% (-2.8%p) and 16.3% (-0.8%p).

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Glumwheels posted:

I haven’t been infected, afaik, for even a first time so those doctors and scientists can gently caress right off

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
By mid 2021 in Korea there were wildly fluctuating dumb as poo poo rules that just upset basically everyone for no actual protective or preventative value.

This was during the delta surge, and by this point the subway commutes that I was doing were becoming very crowded, back to 2019 levels.
Workers would go into the office with varying quality of masks and then remove them at their desks.
Groups of workers would go to lunch at restaurants and maybe split into groups of 4-6 depending on restrictions.

Then once everyone got infected in the following omicron wave, everyone has basically given up.
I am the only person I know of here that has not been infected still, and they don't remember I haven't been infected either lol.

No Fast Music Or Fast Running: COVID Rules In Seoul Force Gym-Goers To Slow Down

quote:

Gyms in the capital Seoul and other nearby areas are no longer allowed to play music faster than 120 beats per minute (the speed of "Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepsen) during group fitness classes.

Treadmill speeds may not surpass 6 kilometers per hour (or 3 miles per hour).

The concern is that intense exercising, especially in a group setting, could increase the likelihood of stray respiratory droplets and that all the sweat-and-spit slinging could lead to more COVID-19 cases.

Some gym-goers are expressing frustration.

"Hardcore cardio has marked the start and end of my daily exercise routines, and now they want me to run slower, but they ask us to leave in two hours," Jang, an office worker who frequents the gym, told The Korea Herald. "What do they want from us? Does the government want me to get fat and give up our lifestyle for the sake of these dumb rules?"

Still, it's not hard to understand why health officials are concerned: the greater Seoul area has seen a marked increase in COVID-19 cases, hitting a record daily high this past weekend, according to the Yonhap News Agency. Stringent social distancing protocols have been implemented and will be in place for the next two weeks, with gatherings of more than two barred after 6 p.m., in a bid to get the situation under control.

Son Young-rae, a spokesperson for the Ministry of Health and Welfare, defended the new measures on Monday, according to the Herald. While acknowledging the effectiveness of masks, the Delta variant is more easily transmittable, he pointed out.

"When you run faster, you spit out more respiratory droplets, so that's why we are trying to restrict heavy cardio exercises," Son said.

That's one excuse to skip the gym, at least.

Gildiss has issued a correction as of 12:46 on Aug 25, 2023

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Korean study finds that many kf94 masks have harmful chemicals several times the recommended limit. These chemicals seem to come from the plastic packaging, so they recommend airing out your mask for 30 minutes after opening the wrapper

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/37079939/

:rubby:

Unseasonal Summer Flu Continues to Rage

quote:

An unusual summer flu epidemic continues. Flu cases normally mass in winter, but due to COVID preventive measures, there were no significant outbreaks in the last few years.

According to the Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency last Friday, about 12 out of every 1,000 outpatients were diagnosed with flu. Their number has been decreasing since a peak of 17.3 per 1,000 people in the third week of July but still remains 2.4 times higher than the epidemic threshold of 4.9.

The biggest proportion was among children aged 7 to 12.

Meanwhile, adenovirus infections continue to spread among children as well. From Aug. 13 to 19, a total of 757 patients were admitted to hospital with adenovirus, 16.8 times more than in the same period last year.

Completely unrelated tidbit from 2022-04-09.

Half of Korean children aged 9 and below infected with COVID-19

quote:

The accumulated number of infected children in the age bracket reached 1,887,337 as of Saturday, according to the Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency (KDCA).

That translates into nearly 50,190 out of every 100,000 in the age group being infected with the coronavirus, marking the highest infection rate among other age groups, the KDCA said.

The infection rate in the 10 to 19 age group was second highest, with 43,289 out of every 100,000 infected with the virus. (Yonhap)

And hell, why not. The total infection tally for that age group today. Though it surely includes many second/third infections by this point.

https://ncov.kdca.go.kr/en/bdBoardList.do?brdId=16&brdGubun=161&dataGubun=&ncvContSeq=&contSeq=&board_id=

quote:

Age - [10-19]
Confirmed - 4,223,709
Deaths - 24

Age - [0-9]
Confirmed - 3,263,224
Deaths - 39

Gildiss has issued a correction as of 08:24 on Aug 28, 2023

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zugzwang posted:

Thanks for sharing. Out of curiosity, does Korea have its own version of Emily Oster-type "my data shows that schools are safe" ghouls?

Seems like a tough time to be a mammal.

No need to for a domestic version when they just imported Oster and Ghandi etcs opinions directly.

Though I am sure there were individuals that were doing that broadcasting, but the data and opinions came from the US/CDC originally.

Gildiss has issued a correction as of 11:24 on Aug 29, 2023

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tzen posted:

We Were 3.5 Years in Power: An American Tragedy

family took an international flight and got got
entire family positive
kids are mild, meanwhile myself+spouse got hit hard
using paxlovid and symptoms are gone
still going through the course so we'll see how things go
i'm sitting on another paxlovid course if need be

:theroni:

Fingers crossed. Taking an 11 hour flight, direct. However, going to be in business class, and juiced up with Flo Travel and my N95.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh man that reminded me.

RTJ's tour is about to start.

quote:

RIP to RTJ
Wonder how many shows they will make it through of the planned 16.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQx5jnL6Tgs

Gildiss has issued a correction as of 04:51 on Sep 3, 2023

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Trip to New Zealand a success.
Masked in the airport and on the flight and then juiced up with Flo Travel anytime we were near strangers which was infrequent.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

emgeejay posted:

https://twitter.com/chapotraphouse/status/1705370901351682116?s=46&t=m6fGiglUP1-mz5m0sRqpiw
chapo’s on hiatus due to matt christman suffering a near fatal medical emergency, described only as a “totally normal-style sudden medical emergency that happens to normal people,” which is a joke about people thinking he got epsteined but also mirrors the widespread belief that having major heart attacks or strokes at age 40 is totally normal these days. the folks on the recording don’t want anyone to be speculative little freaks, but they sound badly shaken up and I am too, and sometimes I just despair that we aren’t even trying to turn this around. his baby’s on the way this week.

I have been watching Matt's stuff for years now and greatly enjoy the content.

He did mention he has various discs and things in his signing off video from a few days ago.
So this is probably an escalation of that issue he is actively having checked out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5cPte9RFFw&t=4123s

But he also had covid for the first time in December 22.

Gildiss posted:

Cushbomb got got, but acknowledges the potential future owning of his immune system.

Up to around first 10 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdMeye3sAZU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

speng31b posted:

having read the past few pages pretty carefully I haven't seen anyone suggest that it's against the rules to talk about the larger implications of covid death and disability, or even under reporting of it in principle.

Bringing up Matt's situation in that context is weird as gently caress though. Like this, this is a super weird to point out in the current context.

Yeah that was poorly worded on my part.
Only meant that yes, he has also had covid and said as much on his videos.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mola Yam posted:

japan has had the weirdest covid waves, unlike anywhere else.

just increasingly bad, since the start. this last one looks like it's finally broken the trend though.

The trend was people bothering to test or the tests being reported probably.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Glumwheels posted:

How can the largest medical system in the state not have the new vaccine yet, really?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Okuteru posted:

If they ask you to come in regardless, cough in their face.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pillowpants posted:

Guys,

we have a problem. remember when I was tracking COVID pooo growth as a result of those idiot Swifties?

What happens when local movie theaters decide to make some money but relegating all the other releases to one screen and put the swift concert on 13/20 screens?

that results in 28 shows today - half of which are sold out already….and 38 showings Saturday (6 showing almost full)… and 36 showings on Sunday.

They’re making a huge deal of this and it’s goi g to spark the next wave. 4000 screens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8uG7wQGVXA

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So there haven't been any new updates from Korea, because they just don't post numbers anymore.

The korean and english versions of the dashboard used to match, but now the english version is just basically frozen at the last data report on August 31st 2023.
Korean: https://ncov.kdca.go.kr/
English: https://ncov.kdca.go.kr/en/

The old dashboard was only OK at obscuring the data, and did not really show the waves in terms of time spans larger than a week.
https://ncov.kdca.go.kr/en/bdBoardList.do?brdId=16&brdGubun=161&dataGubun=&ncvContSeq=&contSeq=&board_id=

To do that, you would need to compare previous updates but I only really started doing wayback machine backups sporadically in late 2022, so it doesn't really allow you to see the horrific waves during delta and omicron.
For instance, the last recorded numbers are 36k daily average positive cases. Before delta, that was an ungodly high number.
https://web.archive.org/web/2022060...tSeq=&board_id=

The newly updated korean landing page is something to behold in terms of worthlessness.
Weekly Positive (specimen) surveilance
2023 Oct 8-14
7483 people
Cumulative 77,120 people (since start of this new form of counting, Sept 1st 2023)

How much was it last week? The week before that? Trending up or down?
Who knows!

At the bottom of the page, more wonderful graphs.
The weekly number of cases from the first image, divided up by city/region.

And the cherry on top, the newly updated XBB vaccine booster rates for the population divided by age groups.
65+ cohort: 4.5%
12-64 cohort: 0%

Now it is just myself and a few random people, mostly elderly that mask at all.
And a lot of coughing.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Probably in a country that heavily restricts pax access, if they even have it at all, given that even a 4th+ booster shot is restricted.

Like here in Korea.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

shazbot posted:

just lol how much more contagious can this thing get

Covid is playing cookie clicker, and man do I want to see their screen. It has got to be nuts.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if doctors that were previously hesistant to prescribe paxlovid before will now readily recommend it now that the pharma corps will make a butt gently caress ton from it now. Sales teams spinning up to move that product.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

https://x.com/1goodtern/status/1723379573448949885?s=46

WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO BE BRAVE LIKE THE REST OF US

[Pestilence] I don't want to think about that.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EGGS!! XDD

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pingui posted:

Be advised that it might still be possible for your wife to avoid getting infected. I hope some of the posters in the thread whom have successfully managed to curb household spread will chime in, but basically it comes down to quarantine, masking and corsi cubes.

Yeah I managed to avoid getting infected by just staying in the far side of our apartment and keeping my window open every once in a while as it was late December. Using my N95 when going out to the living room for food and etc.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gildiss posted:

Yeah I managed to avoid getting infected by just staying in the far side of our apartment and keeping my window open every once in a while as it was late December. Using my N95 when going out to the living room for food and etc.

Speaking of it is getting to be that time of year again! Wife is planning all sorts of lunches to catch up with friends.

I think my new Christmas tradition is huddling under a blanket in my computer room wearing my N95 watching The Thing. With the faint sounds of coughing from inside and outside my apartment.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Life expectancy data will release once they launch the nukes, and it will match the time to impact.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Most peoples internal monologue at this point is probably just a constant death metal blood curdling scream "N O R M A L"

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I could totally believe that Covid immunocompromise let other respiratory viruses run unfettered

Yeah this poo poo happened here in Korea back in April and summer.
But that didn't make the news because they didn't make capital upset by keeping restrictions up as long as China did. They must continually be punished.

quote:

https://m.hani.co.kr/arti/society/society_general/1089575.html

Any pediatric clinic in Korea is currently slammed.

Parents showing up with children with pneumonia and fevers waiting hours for visits.

Even showing up an hour before the clinic opens they are #43 in queue.

Remote waiting lists for clinics via an app completely fill up in 2~5 minutes after opening registrations.

Seasonal flu cases grew 58% over the last 5 weeks. Viral accute respiratory infections up 94% in the last month.

"How can you raise a child in a country like this?"

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

I’m in NYC, so I expect Paxlovid to stay free (with free phone prescription hotline and free delivery!) significantly longer than my 5-day window to get on it for this bout

All the free govt paxlovid is getting dumped in the trash can end of year. It will be very costly after that point.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Finally getting the Novavax mothman in Korea.

SK Bioscience to supply Novavax’s new COVID-19 vaccine in Korea

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NeonPunk posted:

Nobody cares about Covid anymore and it's kinda fascinating to me because I can certainly see the subtle impact Covid is having on everything. Not the obvious thing but the smaller things.

Like on Tiktok, I follow several young fitness and weight lifting creators that produce videos for their young audiences. Lately they've been making more and more videos on exercises for weak knees, how to alleviate back pains, ways to reduce pain in your feets and strengthen your hips. Ya know... old people common problems.

Also been seeing a awfully lot of advertising that's targeted to younger folks for blue chews, and other ED medicines. Hair growth medicines for hair loss too as well. It's almost as if there's something that's going around aging our population on the cellular level, what could it be? :thunk:

There are obituary articles in Korea about organ donors, and how their tragic death ended up saving others in the end.
Typically these are from car crashes or work construction or various accidents. Those causes are now getting crowded out.

Latest one is a 43 year old fitness instructor dropping dead during a workout.
https://www.hani.co.kr/arti/society/society_general/1119328.html

34 year old doctor, cerebral hemorrhage.
https://www.hani.co.kr/arti/society/society_general/1119475.html

30 year old man, dead during workout.
https://www.hani.co.kr/arti/society/society_general/1116125.html

47 year old mother, dizzy, then dies in hospital, cerebral hemorrhage.
https://www.hani.co.kr/arti/society/society_general/1114828.html

23 year old barista, suddenly collapsed.
https://www.hani.co.kr/arti/society/society_general/1113188.html

51 year old, suddenly collapsed during workout.
https://www.hani.co.kr/arti/society/society_general/1101796.html

The list goes on and on. There is an invisible tiger stalking the land.

Gildiss has issued a correction as of 03:17 on Dec 8, 2023

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Big lol my wife just casually mentioning that a lot of our friends are getting IV treatments to help give them enough energy to get through their days???
Like a pilates instructor now needs injections to function? (just a few weeks after her second covid infection. Do not connect dots. Do not mention dots. Or lines.) This is normal nbd?

Gildiss has issued a correction as of 10:01 on Dec 14, 2023

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Goddamnit covid just got one of my dungeons and dragons players. Cancelled my goddamn session!

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Wife got sick from some food yesterday so we needed to head in to the neighborhood clinic.

About half are masked, with the sickest coughiest people not masking.
Frail elderly people here for their annual checkups wearing poo poo dental masks. Rip.

In N95 we trust.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Lol yeah SIL was coughing every once in a while last night. But it's ok she had covid again start of November, she's clear.

E: also tpp article right now on one korean site.

quote:

Could it be a pandemic again?... Corona confirmed cases worldwide ‘increase 52% in 4 weeks’

Gildiss has issued a correction as of 09:35 on Dec 24, 2023

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Public Health Mission Accomplished

[KH explains] Why vaccination rate remains low despite surge in flu patients

quote:

The number of suspected influenza cases in South Korea has surged to a five-year high, but the immunization rate has remained relatively unchanged.

The rate of patients showing symptoms suggestive of influenza per 1,000 outpatients for the second week of December stood at 61.3 – the highest figure since 2019, according to the Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency.

The immunization rate as of Dec. 15, however, stood at 76.2 percent, slightly above 76.1 percent last year.

A KDCA official noted that influenza cases among children aged between 7-12 increased by around 20.5 times, compared to last year, and the vaccination rate for the age group was relatively lower perhaps as they are not eligible for free vaccine programs.

The influenza vaccination rate among children has decreased over the past years, according to the country’s health agency. The KDCA said the flu vaccination rate for children here reached 74.5 percent in 2018. But the figure went down to 71 percent in 2022 and to below 70 percent this year.

Some have attributed the lower immunization rate to vaccine hesitancy.

“After the COVID-19 pandemic, I have become less confident in vaccines in general,” said Cho, a 32-year-old woman who lives in Seoul.

One mother of an 8-year-old boy said her son got the seasonal flu vaccine several years ago but only to get a high fever right after.

“Since then, I became increasingly reluctant to have my child and myself get flu vaccines,” said the woman surnamed Park.

Kim, the doctor at the Seoul hospital, said visitors showed reluctance to get both COVID-19 and flu vaccines in the same visit.

"Only a few patients had no issue getting both vaccines, while many have refused to get both vaccines,” Kim said.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

The efficacy witnessed now is a far cry from the ninety‐five percent reduction in symptomatic COVID‑19 that was seen in the trials.

Even so, if the updated formulations were delivered around the world, the reduction in mortality could be equivalent to outright eliminating one of the other major scourges. Tuberculosis, malaria, and AIDS are each estimated by WHO to kill fewer than one million people annually.

COVID‑19 kills multiple millions every year. The vaccines we have now are eminently capable of reducing that toll by one million.

No can do, that's potentially a million more people the ruling class would have to worry about in future riots. Gotta keep clipping that grass.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

i think 2024 is the year we beat covid

We beat it in 2021, because they stopped making those Death to 202X mockumentaries on netflix then

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Watched Pearl last night and it was a great little display of a brunchers back to normal thriller, in 1918. Recommended.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

love to dial in to a meeting and half of the people are out sick and the other half sound like they're dying

[thank you for all the responses and words of encouragement to my earlier post]

Yeah my standup meeting for the weekly in person office day had someone coughing in the room progressively louder as the meeting went on.

Thankfully I don't live on the same continent as the office so I just get to hear it over speaker.

Oh yeah and one coworker was sick for 3 weeks and sounds like death now.

I find myself having to pair up and assisnt more and more people through what are relatively straight forward tasks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Ugh report from friend in Korea. she tried to wear masks all the time but Korean office culture dictates that you have to eat in a restaurant once in a while as a team building thing.

Yeah that seems hosed. I can't imagine the pressure in a Korean office now. I was just in a startup and got some stiff resistance in mid 2021 before we had access to the vaccines at that point. Led to me quitting and then someone popping pos the next week lmao.

Hmm just visited my barber here and he was actually masked this time. He had stopped masking once the WHO declared the pandemic over, so he wasn't doing it just for me. No cough or anything he seemed fine, but his thinking must have changed between now and my last visit.

Must be something going around.

Time to shoot up my Flo Travel before and after.

Gildiss has issued a correction as of 03:57 on Jan 5, 2024