Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Does this iteration of the thread get a new Greek letter designation or is it still Omicron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
[COVID-23]

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

DominoKitten posted:

seems to be, yes, someone reverse engineered the error

https://twitter.com/KelleyKga/status/1691061955765624832?s=20
I love how many errors in Excel stem from "whoops there's an error in this critical cell that's difficult to find because what the gently caress does '$A$133' even mean anyway, or I clicked the wrong box when making this pivot table."

Gunshow Poophole posted:

i don't really thinkg this is covid related but my best friend's mom, something of a surrogate mom for me for twenty years now, also died this week. Glioma diagnosis 3 weeks ago and already gone

it doesnt' exactly feel like the sharks circling but gently caress me. the emotional toll of turning 40 is worse than the physical.
Sorry, goon. gently caress cancer.

Zantie posted:

Washington state's weekly wastewater update, cobbled together from the state's downloadable excel report and supplemented with scaled National Wastewater Surveillance System (NWSS) data when available. Solid lines are from WADoH data and white diamond dots applied to scale are from most recent CDC/NWSS data (if available).

I have distributed 30 sewersheds across 5 charts grouped by approximate geographical region and county. See the tables below for definitions of WADoH IDs. Details for each are listed in the table posted after the graph. Trend is labeled based on the change in averages between the most recent 7 and 14 days of measurements available.
Nice breakdown. Seems like there's spikes at odd intervals in many of these -- is that due to reporting?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Zantie posted:

It could be many things. During waves in particular I notice that it takes many weeks, usually months, for data to settle down. Much of it could be user error (typos from either hospital staff or public health officials, referencing wrong cells or misspellings). Sometimes I think duplicates occur when someone is initially hospitalized at one location then transferred to another hospital, sometimes several times, and not uncommonly across state lines.

I would love to see the "unknown" for the date of admission column go down for hospitalizations but it just goes up every week...All of my suggestions as to why older changes happen are hypothetical when I can't see how it changes each step of the way. Hell, for all I know someone forgot to replace an ink cartridge in a fax machine until now. It's a mess.

https://www.ktoo.org/2022/09/27/lack-of-data-blunted-alaskas-covid-response-new-york-times-investigation-shows/

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/13/upshot/coronavirus-response-fax-machines.html

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/08/health/public-health-data-gaps-hhs-khn-partner/index.html

[edit] I'm tired and can't figure out how to get the url for the archived version of the NYT link. Anyway the problem has been around for awhile and I doubt it's been totally fixed since.
The public health situation is even worse than I thought :eng99:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Tulip posted:

Lmao gently caress
:emptyquote:

Sunny Side Up posted:

Fwiw when I took ~24 Luciras in Dec 22 my false positive rate was 8% (and another 8% tests “errored out” flashing the lights, which Lucira refunded).
This scans; LAMP is notorious for its false positives, especially in a pH/colorimetric assay like Lucira's that can't use optical probes to help improve specificity.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Steve Yun posted:

seventh biggest wave and climbing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3-NQvRmo3I

Jort Fortress posted:

My 91yo grandma has been stuck in a nursing home doing rehab the past 2 weeks after breaking her hip at home. Shockingly, both her and my grandpa are now sick with Summer Flu for the first time. Guess my grandpa had it so bad he was hospitalized the last 3 nights, and according to my uncle they didn't even test him for Covid, instead suggesting it might be bronchitis or RSV. They also told my uncle he didn't need to wear his mask in the hospital, lmao.

Thank God for all these tools that are available!
:( best wishes to your grandparents

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Zantie posted:

Right now the new sublineage we're talking about (BA.2.86), its spike protein has >30 amino acid changes from it's parent of BA.2 (an omicron), it's also >30 compared to XBB.1.5 (an omicron recombinant), and has nearly 60 different from the original back in 2019.
Do we know much about the new mutations yet? I remember when Omicron showed up, it was a who's who of all the possible mutations that experts were worried about, plus some more.

Rochallor posted:

(Padme face) :) Per lifetime, right?

(Padme face) :( Per lifetime, right?
(Doctors and scientists) :nsa:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Zantie posted:

There's a list of them in the slides published by Bloom that Pingui linked earlier. They aren't encouraging though, mostly tied to the usual ones found in chronic infections. Obviously we don't know how these particular mutations may differ in presentation together vs separately either and most of what's outlined with them (regarding concern/severity) are based in hypotheticals.
Thanks to you and Pingui :buddy:

I agree that it's hard to know the situation atm given how little sequencing we're now doing. "Only" 4 sequences might be a lot in a low-surveillance scenario. I'm too tired to plot it now, but I think the rate of new submissions to GISAID has really gone off a cliff over the last few months. Not surprising at all when you consider the ending of the public health emergency etc etc

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
my mom's oncologist and his staff stopped masking in May, lol

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Fun fact, your use of the opening quote tag made this quote of your post empty too :buddy:

I think 3 seems good, since it provides a way to find the original content without taking up much space. Thanks for all the great stuff you post.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Platystemon posted:

A fifth case has now been found, in London.

Would anyone offer an opinion that BA.2.86 is anything other than the most interesting and concerning strain identified since Omicron in November 2021?
It's a small cluster. This is what a virus does. Doesn't mean it will be of any significant value. Thousands of variants pop up every day.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pillowpants posted:

Good news guys! The CDC updated its variant sequencing data today. It's very helpfu...oh

I guess that is ok though - because the CDC updates its main wastewater data on Thursdays at 8pm. SEE!

Goddamn it

No worries though! Hospitalization Data is always updated on Friday mornings! gently caress

Ahahahahhah

:rubby:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Nothus posted:

Don't worry about it.

Can I see the data?

...No
It pairs nicely with

"We are going to rely on vaccines to get us out of this."
"Can I have one?"
"No."

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

fosborb posted:

lol first locally transmitted malaria case in the DC area in the last 40 years just announced tonight
If we pushed it out of the US in the mid-20th century, surely we can all come together and get rid of it again :buddy:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Get the cones in your nose, Shinji

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Platystemon posted:

It’s falciparum malaria.

That’s the bad malaria, the malaria that you do not want to get.

It’s pretty weird that after twenty years with no local malaria, in one summer the United States has three independent outbreaks.
Fortunately bed nets protect you most when you're least woke, so we should be able to get FL and TX onboard with them pretty easily

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
War is peace
Freedom is slavery
We have the tools

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Glumwheels posted:

I took another test and it turned positive right away so going to get my paxlovid now.

gently caress me
Best wishes to you and your family, goon :smith:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pingui posted:

Getting in on the ground floor of malaria infections maybe? Possibly leprosy?
lol if we are ever able to make a post-Sturgis-like map of malaria spread after people visit Florida or Texas

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go eliminate pockets of standing water in my backyard.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Pockets of standing water is 100% not a problem in Texas at the moment.
Rain here has gone from "rainy days"
to "rainy tens of minutes" at the same total volume drop, so we had to put in a drainage system that includes drain boxes. They always have standing water after a downpour. A mosquito's paradise.

Pingui posted:

Why do you want to dismantle the public malaria vaccination program??
I have some fun news for you about long-term immunity to malaria after an infection, friend:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
As I was going into a grocery store a little bit ago, someone in a properly-work Aura was exiting and thumbs-upped me/my V-Flex. Cheers, friend.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

nexous posted:

it’s been back and forth between just ignoring it and freaking out. Another goon in the goon doctor thread really helped, he had the same thing (renal cell carcinoma) and it’s like the easiest cancer to treat so I’m not gonna die or anything it’s just very tedious waiting to do anything about it. I am quite concerned about getting Covid during the surgery tho. it’s gonna be close to see if I can get the updated booster before.
My mom made it through a ton of time in the hospital and multiple surgeries this year without getting got, so it's certainly possible. Hoping for the best for you; cancer is always scary, even if it's the Most Treatable Kind.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

RandomBlue posted:

yeah he was the president
6'3", 239 lbs

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Harik posted:

The schoolyear started with a bang.
gently caress, sorry goon :(. We parents and our families are in an impossible situation.

Insanite posted:

e: we didn’t get covid during the delivery of kid 2. this is in spite of half of the personnel around us having coughs. Ty, 10 ACH labor and delivery room air, I guess.
:toot:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I'm hoping that Biden's "I will be encouraging all Americans to get the booster" is truly indicative of wide availability, not like fall 2021, when we were all being told that vaccination is critical (but kids, who couldn't yet get vaccinated, must return to school ASAP)

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

VomitOnLino posted:

I think the problem was less it running out and more that it made your intestinal lining fall out of your rear end in a top hat.
It was both. Vets and people with horses/other livestock had trouble getting it due to the craze. And it was indeed bad for humans to consume horse-sized doses of the stuff.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Steve Yun posted:

eyyyyy

guess who has two thumbs and was asked by their Covid positive friend to take them home from the airport because they’re known for having goggles and elastomeric respirators
Your friend flew while covid+ :catstare:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Steve Yun posted:

hey but at least they don’t want to get an Uber driver infected

Fair enough, hope you wore one of your neon masks :buddy:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Walgreens unfucked itself

I wish they included total tests on the plot. I know you can at least see it by hovering your cursor over a point.

But anyhoo, the peaks of the BA.1 surge in late Jan '22 had upwards of 500k tests/day but we are now at 4k/day.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Buffer posted:

Mostly she's just in shock that it was one day. Like I stop wearing it for one day and I immediately get sick... come on!!!! Overall I'd say she's taking it pretty well. Holed up in her room with video games(new genshin region), a coway, and a window cracked w/a fan pointing out.
:smith: sorry goon, I know "many such cases" is a meme itt but I also have several relatives whose kids got got immediately like this.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rosalind posted:

You're in luck--I went down this rabbit hole because I was getting eaten alive while visiting a family member last summer and I hate OFF.

Off Spray is 15% DEET so if you are specifically having a reaction to DEET there are some options. You could try a 20% picaridin spray or a permethrin clothing treatment. There are also lotion versions available of picaridin if some other ingredient in the sprays is causing the dermatitis.

For use in a backyard or patio, thermacell makes spatial repellents. Mosquito coils (those green spiral things) do work as well.
Thanks for this post. I'm not worried about malaria where I live just yet, but mosquitoes are, uh, endemic and not mild, and I don't want to have to use bug spray every time I or my kid leave the house.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
"Jeopardize your income" and "flee the state" aren't really practical advice IMO

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rosalind posted:

academia.txt
Great posts.

Animal-Mother posted:

We have the tools. (they are shovels)
goddamn, thread title

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pingui posted:

We've had 3 major studies the last few days and everyone gets distracted by food chat :eng99:

Goons. Goons never change...
Unlike SARS-CoV-2 :coronatoot:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

The Oldest Man posted:

I could be getting paid for this????
lol

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

The Oldest Man posted:

"Did you mean 'Sign up for Amazon Prime?"
My toddler signed us up for five streaming services one morning when she started mashing buttons on the remote in an effort to turn on Sesame Street. We just realized we were still getting billed for one last week. Technology is grand.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

NeonPunk posted:

Can some of those doctor or scientists in here tell me if science direct is reputable or not?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2319417023000872

Because there's a study that straight up says that yup, Covid is airborne AIDS.
That's Elsevier, which owns a ton of trash journals. Haven't read the paper but the "Highlights" section is uh off to a bad start.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pingui posted:

Being allowed to call it AIDS (airborne or not) here isn't really a hill worth dying on. That COVID can give immune deficiencies is the important part.

If people really want to discuss the immune deficiency angle, they should jump into the very large study I posted today as it is good poo poo (from a science standpoint).
Here's that study, which was immediately lost in the extremely thread-germane chatter about food prep and MDs vs DOs:

Pingui posted:

Overall good news for the COVID vaccinated crew and terrible news for the unvaccinated. It should be noted that vaccinations in HK were Sinovac and Pfizer, which would change the specifics of the immune response. The authors don't make the distinction, however the first dose distribution was 61.7% BioNTech and 38.3% Sinovac in general (according to study further down), it is something to consider as well when looking at the age distribution.

Glad to see a reduction of associated immune disease post-vaccination, but take it with a grain of salt, as the authors do not appear fully confident in that part of the results.

Risk of autoimmune diseases following COVID-19 and the potential protective effect from vaccination: a population-based cohort study

Unassociated vaccination distribution in HK chart:

Source (for the specific vaccine distribution mentioned at the start of the post as well): https://www.mdpi.com/2076-393X/10/5/747

Edit: It should also be noted that the vast majority of cases in Hong Kong have been Omicron soup, as the case distribution in HK looks like this:

Anyway folks, please stop calling it airborne AIDS. It's not, even if (like many other infections) it doesn't do great things for the immune system. Ty

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Gonna go out on a limb and say that I don't want "us" or "them" to get covid, or to get PASC if we/they do.

Game-wise, I played Stray a few weeks ago and my cat did indeed spend a lot of time watching my character jump around the city :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

The Oldest Man posted:

Oh wow a new home NAAT test? Sound gr-

D'oh

I don't see anything on their website about test specificity or agreement with a benchmark lab PCR so, unclear whether it's better/worse/the same as Cue.

e: found it https://www.fda.gov/media/162403/download. Comparison with benchmark is on pages 30 onward but someone else will have to look at Cue's to see if they're better or worse since I need to go.
Looks like Metrix's test is pretty good, judging by the PPV/NPV vs both symptomatic and asymptomatic samples. They target two genes instead of one, which I like. But not sure that they have sample prep/extraction (Cue does), which can be okay for some assays (I'm guessing they're using LAMP like Lucira does).

Might come down to the cost difference IMO.