Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/matttomic/status/1394498097254965249

RIP Tim Wakefield :smith:
https://twitter.com/1992Pirates/status/1708563298206044531

Bandire posted:

Over the weekend, Adrian suffered a traumatic head injury.

Although Mr. Beltre insisted he was fine, he is currently in intensive care awaiting emergency surgery.

Foul play was the cause of the injury, and a suspect is currently in custody.

Leon (pictured) is the prime suspect in the attack due to the fact that this rear end in a top hat did the exact same thing a year ago.

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1689727461330673664

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Tired: Jose Altuve Jokes
Wired: Jose Altuve

https://twitter.com/nothanksalex/status/1718428911485280290

https://i.imgur.com/mJcdAa5.mp4

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Hey, Cubs.

Sign Bellinger
Sign Bellinger
Sign Bellinger
Sign Bellinger
Sign Bellinger
Sign Bellinger
Sign Bellinger
Sign Bellinger

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

relevant again

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Ricketts Wallet Wish List

1. Sign Ohtani
2. Re-sign Bellinger
3. At least attempt to construct an MLB caliber rotation
4. Pick up Kyle Hendricks team option
5. Pick up Yan Gomes team option
6. Do not sign any crusty veterans that the entire baseball world knows are washed

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Bregor posted:

5. Pick up Yan Gomes team option

I don't think we have to worry about this one. SUPER easy pickup for the Cubs at $6 million.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Time for Ohtani to become a Seattle Mariner

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The Padres are locking Preller and Melvin in a room together tomorrow to make them work it out (but hopefully they just fire both).

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

bees x1000 posted:

My hopes for next season are in the basement, digging out a second basement.

we're on basement level 3 or 4 now

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v96cJoC-Lkk
:smith:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Wrong thread

Disco Dickdog
Nov 30, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

:emptyquote:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/M_Montemurro/status/1708583241861546188?s=20

lol, lmao

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Good.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Sydin posted:

lol, lmao

Oh yeah well would a great manager be 10 games under in the first place

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Some Numbers posted:

from one team that wastes hall of famers to another

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Watching Jason Varitek full on break down about Tim Wakefield mad me super sad and loving Curt Schilling hosed over the Wakefield's the rear end in a top hat.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i am glad i did not watch today's meaningless cubs game because they apparently had Ricketts in the booth for an entire inning and I would have gotten very mad.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Yeah I sure am looking forward to yet another year of young rookies with upside riding the pine so loving losers like Eric Hosmer and Drew Smyly can take reps away from them! :shepicide:

fake e. the pen being absolutely toast contributed heavily to the September collapse, meanwhile Hoyer called up Luke Little on the 6th, and in the 26 days he was up with the Cubs Ross had him throw 6.2 IP. 2.2 of which were the last two days after the season basically didn't matter. In that time he gave up no runs and struck out 12, but hey why actually use the young fireballing lefty your FO just handed you with the pen short when you could instead run Cuas out 923450297853208940923840923 times and give saves to the corpse of a splitter-less Mark Leiter Jr.?

Can't wait for Mervis slashing .500/.800/.2000 for a full year in Iowa next year while the Cubs give all their 1B starts to Patrick Wisdom and some dogshit veteran who's so old and washed they need to Weekend at Bernie's his mummified body up to the batters box.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I love the AL central. All of the teams in it. My favourite team is in the AL East but drat if I don't completely love the AL central as a division

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In time I will miss my barely above 500 team during a long cold winter of listening to people scream about firing everyone and trading everyone for a bag of balls and why didn’t they just trade for the best players in baseball easy peasy?

But today I feel some comfort I don’t have a game to watch tomorrow.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

Yeah I sure am looking forward to yet another year of young rookies with upside riding the pine so loving losers like Eric Hosmer and Drew Smyly can take reps away from them! :shepicide:

fake e. the pen being absolutely toast contributed heavily to the September collapse, meanwhile Hoyer called up Luke Little on the 6th, and in the 26 days he was up with the Cubs Ross had him throw 6.2 IP. 2.2 of which were the last two days after the season basically didn't matter. In that time he gave up no runs and struck out 12, but hey why actually use the young fireballing lefty your FO just handed you with the pen short when you could instead run Cuas out 923450297853208940923840923 times and give saves to the corpse of a splitter-less Mark Leiter Jr.?

Can't wait for Mervis slashing .500/.800/.2000 for a full year in Iowa next year while the Cubs give all their 1B starts to Patrick Wisdom and some dogshit veteran who's so old and washed they need to Weekend at Bernie's his mummified body up to the batters box.

The front office needs to "Carlos Pena" some veterans, if you know what I mean.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Unfortunately for Cubs fans it’s an election year, and the Ricketts need to take the money for Bellinger and put it into a Trump PAC

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Unfortunately for Cubs fans it’s an election year, and the Ricketts need to take the money for Bellinger and put it into a Trump PAC

Or funnel money into the "Biden is actually Obama wearing a rubber mask" lunatic PAC.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

tadashi posted:

They need to send them to the minors and then work them into a complex 3-way trade along with last year's 1st round pick to get a pitcher they've had their eye on for a couple years and some prospects?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Why pay a lot of money for one really good player when you could use the same money to get 4 mediocre players

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Intruder posted:

Why pay a lot of money for one really good player when you could use the same money to get 4 mediocre players

:yeah:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

In time I will miss my barely above 500 team during a long cold winter of listening to people scream about firing everyone and trading everyone for a bag of balls and why didn’t they just trade for the best players in baseball easy peasy?

But today I feel some comfort I don’t have a game to watch tomorrow.

Gotta make those excuses for the lovely way the Yankees are run.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Intruder posted:

Why pay a lot of money for one really good player when you could use the same money pocket half that money and get 4 mediocre players

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

tadashi posted:

add them to the TV network so they can yell their catchphrases?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1708574279137198241

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Our season being bookended by a 4-0 victory over the Brewers in our only March game and an 0-4 loss to the Brewers in our only October game feels appropriate

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is true for literally every MLB owner, so it evens out

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Speaking of the knuckleball, one of my favorite pitcher's to watch when I was young just passed away. :(

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports...-185219597.html

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Reposting with new installment:

mdemone posted:

And with that, I present the first installment:

The Season From Hell
Or, How the Los Angeles Angels are the Worst Team in Pro Sports: a 2023 Retrospective

It begins, as it will end, with Anthony Rendon.

March had been relatively mild after all, with only two starting position players lost to injury, and a starting pitcher lost with a torn UCL. You expect these things. In fact you come to cherish them, as one cherishes loved ones who have passed away, through this earthly organization and into a promised land where they can be injured no more.

On the 37th day of Lent by the Christian calendar of the year of our Lord 2023, a fan cursed at a baseball player on the opposing team. This would have passed for normality on any other day, but this was not just any other day, and it was not just any season -- it was the day upon which a man, and a franchise, discovered their true path, indeed their very destiny.

Part 1: Whomsoever Striketh Thee Upon the Cheek

Listen, I don't care whether you have a lot of guaranteed money coming your way. If you're a professional baseball player, you have been heckled and even verbally assaulted by opposing fans. That's part of the game. You want to show them up, then go get a couple bases and maybe an RBI. Flip them the bird when you're dusting off your uniform. Literally do almost anything but that. You can't touch the audience, you moron. Also, not for nothing, but it's batting practice, yeah? We're talking about practice. If Bart Giamatti were alive he would have had your rear end for breakfast.

Meanwhile, Hunter Renfroe can't hit the broad side of a barn, and the bullpen is godawful. Anthony Rendon is suspended for five games and then rises again on Easter weekend 2023 like the Antichrist, and then poo poo really goes sideways for the Angels.

mdemone posted:

Part 2: His Disciples

We have not yet named him, nor is there any need to. In any case, he is not the subject of our story. He is the context itself. He is the world in which this sad drama plays out.

Shortly after Easter 2023, his first disciple is called forth from the first round: shortstop Zach Neto, he of the dripping eyeblack. A gamer of the highest order, he immediately goes 0 for his first 20 at-bats.

His second disciple, a catcher named Logan O'Hoppe and called forth from the Philadelphia Phillies, had already shown himself to be a favorite of all pitchers, prized among the men of the battery. Upon the arrival of the first disciple, he immediately swings at a ball so hard that his own shoulder does tear itself apart.

His third disciple, a first among firsts, centerfielder Mickey Moniak, who did bring to mind a similar name from ancient times. Brought forth as a shining hero, his ascension presages a blow to the Adversary, who was relegated to the injured list on May 15 in the year 2023. Mickey begins to distinguish himself on base and in the field, rather ominously.

His fourth disciple, a flamethrower from the Volunteer State, called forth from the third round, appears in five games before being ruled out for the season because Ben hath thrown the ball Too Hard and his arm hath Come Off.

(The Adversary is re-activated on June 6 and placed on the injured list again less than two weeks later, for unclear reasons. Which does happen, I guess.)

His fifth disciple, bearing the highest batting average on the team while being a prized defender and a five-tool threat, falls awkwardly over first base and breaks his pelvis. As a 31-year-old man in his prime. Just falls loving weird and well, that's it.

(The Adversary fouls a ball off his shin and leaves the game. Let's take a moment here to consider the carnage thus far. This document does not even include the plights of men like Brandon Drury, or Jake Lamb, or Jared Walsh, or Jo Adell, or Jose Suarez, or Jose Quijada. All gone, lost like dust in the Santa Ana wind.)

The first disciple throws a ball and does tear his oblique. This presages events to come. It is not yet July.

Part 3 - The Superstar

There are very few non-fictional players in baseball history who are 1) first-ballot Hall of Fame guys, just generationally talented players, but also 2) have really cool location-based nicknames like "The Heater from Van Meter" or "The Millville Meteor" or "The Commerce Comet".

Mike Trout is the least interesting of the top 10 all-around ballplayers in history. When you lead the major leagues in OPS+ for five straight years, which puts you on a list with Bonds and nobody else, not even Ruth, and you can go to the movies in any major city without being recognized. When you lead the majors in offensive WAR seven out of your first eight years in the league, and when you're an eight-time All-Star at the age of 27, but you stay late after every game to sign every kid's baseball cap, and you get to BP early the next day to sign every kid's poster, and then they pay you 400 million dollars to keep doing that for the next 12 years, in the city that is presumably the Happiest Place on Earth.

When your team signs an All-Star third baseman to shore up the infield and the top of the order, and an actual global airborne plague happens, and you are never the same player again. And in the same time and place where the Adversary and the Context would come to reckon, you break your hand on July 4 2023, and again you are never the same.

All greatness must come to an end, else we would all be angels, one-legged and faceless, seething with endless, hopeless praise.

Coming soon: Part 4 - The Context

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/1708532825253634099

:siren:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

"I am absolutely not paying you next year, enjoy San Francisco"

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
There were only two Cubs who started in both game 1 and game 162: Patrick Wisdom and Miles Mastrobuoni.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/slwein/status/1708552435281580323

Bregor
May 31, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

I texted this exact thing to my friends after game 161 :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Charlz Guybon posted:

Speaking of the knuckleball, one of my favorite pitcher's to watch when I was young just passed away. :(

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports...-185219597.html

Uh I might be missing a joke here but you do know Kirby threw that knuckleball as a tribute to Wakefield?