Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Unfortunately for Cubs fans it’s an election year, and the Ricketts need to take the money for Bellinger and put it into a Trump PAC

The rumor is they're going to trade a bunch of good prospects for a year of Pete Alonso. That way they can claim they replaced Bellinger in the lineup without having to commit big money long term. Basically the approach they took when they traded their top prospects for a cheap contract in Quintana instead of getting Verlander who wanted to play in Chicago,

It's cool that the Cubs have a nice farm system but it'll just be used to trade for safe contracts so they don't have to commit money in free agency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

Yeah instead let's talk about all this Alonso to the Cubs smoke, which Niwrad brought up yesterday and I thought sounded crazy but now there's a ton more of it today:

https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/status/1709270907699507674

If there are really any legs to this it's kinda odd because you'd probably need to give up actual guys for Alonso, but he's only got a year of control left and has been on record that he's expecting a ridiculously expensive extension through like his age 40 season or whatever.

I don't think they'd want Alonso long term. He's just a one year filler since they'll be losing Bellinger. If they're bad, they can trade him at the deadline and get back some of what they gave up.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bregor posted:

who the gently caress is scraeming "STOP CUBSPOSTING" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never stop cubsposting

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Everyone just learned that pitchers get clobbered 3rd time through the order and that's why they don't leave starters in longer.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

What the hell? Did not see that coming.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't think I've ever been more surprised by a Cubs move in my life. That just came out of nowhere. Especially paying him big bucks. I had to doublecheck that it was a real account and then even figured Rosenthal got hacked until some others chimed in.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Apparently, the White Sox were unwilling to give Benetti a multi-year deal and wanted him to personally negotiate at the end of each season. They also refused to work with his agent.

Have to imagine he'd prefer to stay with the White Sox but they seem hellbent on running him out of town.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Popete posted:

lol what? You have the chance to lock up long term a beloved announcer and you try to force them into a series of 1 year contracts.

I don't know what the Tigers are paying him but I can't imagine it's really worth squabbling over to take the PR hit.

Yeah, this was from last year. Article is paywalled but here's the money quote:

quote:

What’s unique about the Sox’ negotiations with broadcasters is that they’re done with the broadcasters, not agents. Benetti has joked that he feels like a player in arbitration. [Brooks] Boyer disagreed with the comparison but stood by the Sox’ way of doing business.

“Whether it’s [executive vice president] Kenny Williams or [general manager] Rick Hahn, they don’t use agents,” he said. “We’re compensating them; we have a partnership with them. There’s never been a need to have any sort of outside entity come in and negotiate these things.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2023/2...ip-caray-braves

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

If Molina gets in, might as well put Russell Martin and Brian McCann in too.

Mauer deserves to get in because he was very good and was at one point a top 5 player in all of baseball.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Carter Hawkins quote from yesterday makes me think their excuse for not spending again is that they don't want to block prospects.

https://twitter.com/JesseRogersESPN/status/1731855036592849094

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

See, this is the kind of rhetoric I was expected as soon as the offseason began. I was very surprised to hear the Cubs were seriously in on Ohtani given their track record of FA deals and expected it to be another Harper situation where there's a lot of smoke but ultimately turns out never any fire. Maybe that's the situation here but again I'm waiting for another source besides loving Nightengale to point to the Cubs as having rolled out of the sweepstakes for Ohtani.

This kind of sentiment also once again underscores just how loving stupid it was to bring in a bunch of short term dogshit vets this year like Smyly/Barnhart/Hosmer/Mancini instead of just rolling out the young guys and seeing if they're gonna stick or not. It's clear now the Cubs feel like they're in an in-between state, so how about actually doing some float tests with your goddamn rookies?

I don't think it's a strategy or anything. They just don't want to spend big market money. Happy to be 10-15 in payroll and build a scrappy team that can sniff the playoffs.

Ohtani would have been incredibly cool but I would be pretty happy if they just re-signed Bellinger, re-signed Candelario, signed a top-of-the-rotation arm, and maybe got high leverage reliver like Hader (or anyone who is competent). That would likely put them in the top 5 in payroll and wouldn't hold any prospects back.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

"Cubs are DEFINITELY in on Ohtani"

https://twitter.com/kateefeldman/status/1732154527913005426

"Cubs unwilling to meet the most basic contract terms everyone expected months ago"

Can't have Ohtani blocking Alexander Canario in a couple years.

Monathin posted:

extremely lol for Hawkins to say this given how much Cubs fans are complaining the team won't give their current up-and-comers at-bats to save the team's life

Yeah, their excuse would make sense if they actually played their young guys instead of having them be benchwarmers for Eric Hosmer and Trey Mancini.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Cubs are out because there is absolutely no sign that this ownership group would invest that kind of money into a player. Outside of a few years, they've mostly been cheap.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

He probably isn't wrong on this. I can't believe people think the Cubs are going to actually pay Ohtani money.

Anyway, this rumor has gone around by a bunch of reporters. 1 year of Glasnow for like 5 of Morel seems dumb but they need pitching and don't want to spend.

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1732125432378437789

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah but it makes the Cubs look like they're trying and they don't have to commit to 4-5 years of a real starter.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

This is the same team that traded Eloy at peak prospect status for fuckin Jose Quintana

And Dylan Cease who was a fringe top 100 guy at the time.

Remember that the Quintana trade was due to them needing to save money. They needed starting pitching but didn't want to spend. Verlander was available, but they wouldn't eat his contract. They also gave up Soler for 1 year of Wade Davis.

My concern with the Cubs is they use their prospects in trades to avoid having to give out larger contracts.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

Lol looks like the Cubs are going to do jack poo poo and hope the kids are good, fast.

Looks like the Counsell signing was just so they could try to squeeze a few more wins out of this team. Waiting for some 1-year deals for washed up vets to hold the fort down.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I never thought the Cubs would be in on Ohtani but Bellinger seemed like a no-brainer. Guy was great here, provides a lefty power bat they need in the middle of the order, and seemed to like it in Chicago. Get a couple years in CF till PCA is ready and then he can shift to 1B or a corner outfield spot.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Are the Cubs going to do anything or is it just hope the price for Rhys Hoskins drops enough for their liking? Haven't heard a peep about them and Bellinger.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Timby posted:

There was an article in The Athletic this afternoon that they're waiting for Bellinger's demands to come down to like a three-year deal because of his injury history.

They're going to be waiting a long time. I didn't expect Ohtani but I figured at bare minimum they'd bring back Bellinger on like a 6-year $180 million deal or something. Didn't expect them to actually get worse this offseason.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Cubs love their 30 year old minor league guys.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

i am sorry to my white sox comrades, but the sox trading for shields and then him having just unleash an unholy run on some of the most dogshit pitching performances ever witnessed was so loving funny.

e: first month on the south side

lmao these are some position player pitching stats.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Are the Cubs going to do anything this offseason? Bellinger would be great but that's still basically the same team you threw out last year that couldn't make the playoffs.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/katiejwoo/status/1743395341905674465

I don't know who any of these people are, but okay.

Kittredge is really good but always hurt. Too rich for the Cubs ($2 million) but I think worth the flyer.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Good lord. Story somehow continues to get worse.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

DeepDickPizza posted:

What the gently caress are you doing, Jed? You didn’t have to make a move there.

Cubs got 2 guys for their MLB roster that they can pay peanuts to. The farm was always going to he used for cash savings.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't know the guys the Cubs got but Jackson Ferris is one of their best pitching prospects. 19 year old who was drat good in A ball last year. Feel like you could have gotten more but guessing money is a concern.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

xbilkis posted:

Trading some teenagers for a well-regarded (if old) major-league ready hitting prospect and immediately freaking out that he’s a worthless AAAA flop that we overpaid for is next-level Cubsposting

I mean they traded a high ceiling pitching prospect for a AAAA guy so they won't have to spend actual money on Matt Chapman or someone else who can play 3rd. It's not the trade that's bad, it's them using their farm system to save the Ricketts from spending money. Small market poo poo.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

If he can play 3B, then I'm cool with the trade I guess. But if they're just sticking him at 1B, I don't get it since you already have Mervis. Plus 1B is not exactly a tough position to fill.

I guess what bums me out is it gets them out of having to spend money. A little worried this will be the left handed power bat if they won't sign Bellinger.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm fine with Stroman for a year or maybe two, but it will be hilarious seeing him opt-out and not get a long-term deal and potentially less money than the Cubs would have given him.

I can't fathom a scenario where he doesn't make $21 million guaranteed in a contract.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Stroman is a solid mid-rotation guy and that's a very affordable contract. I don't know why anyone would be upset with that. He was really good last season till he got hurt.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Stroman was too in the second half. There is a reason why his last two teams didn't even try to bring him back. He's mediocre and an rear end in a top hat.

The Cubs are incredibly cheap. That's why. Seems like the Mets had bigger fish to fry.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Is it really "Cubs are cheap" if it was a player option that he declined? And for $4 million more than he'll be making with the Yankees next year?

He got more guaranteed money and yes the Cubs are cheap.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The new jerseys are so bad. They look and feel like those cheap knockoffs you would get on Ebay 15 years ago. If you have been wanting to get a jersey, I'd recommend seeing if your local team shop has last years in stock still. They're heavily discounting them and are much higher quality.

I should have snapped some pics but I'm pretty sure my little league travel team had higher quality jerseys back in the day.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Has there ever been a year where so many good free agents were available when Spring Training started? Usually there are a couple but this year seems higher than normal. Sort of feel like the markets not going to get better for those players the closer it gets to opening day.

Sydin posted:

He went down with TJS like two weeks after the trade. That said Wesneski was so bad last year that he put up less WAR in 89 IP (0.3) than 2022 Effross put up for just the Yankees in 12 IP (0.4).

Very curious to see what they do with Wesneski this year. The FO keeps banging the drum that they believe he has the tools to be a starter long term, but the rotation is full up and Horton is (hopefully) primed in the pump to make his MLB debut this year. Obviously injuries will happen and he'll get his shot, but it feels like there's an equal chance of him making the opening day roster as a long man out of the pen or getting sent to AAA to stay stretched out as SP depth.

Cubs seem to have a lot of good arms in that 24-26 age range. My guess is they just throw them all against a wall and see what sticks. For Hayden, I'm guessing he starts in AAA.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Convincing myself the Cubs are cheap because they're saving up for Soto.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This would be the largest public subsidy for a sports team in history if it goes through.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Tatsuta Age posted:

arent the White Sox the not-even-favorites-in-their-own-city team

Yeah, they aren't very popular and the team mostly sucks. But Reinsdorf has been masterful at getting government handouts throughout his tenure so I imagine he'll get something.

The only good thing Rahm Emanuel did was tell the Cubs to pound sand when they asked for handouts.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

They've already mostly secured $500 million for the project from the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

lol loving why

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1759734448923255052

I'm glad Counsell is around because Ross would have absolutely played the corpse of David Peralta over Canario or PCA.

lol I made a joke last year that they'd sign Peralta or Hicks to replace Bellinger.