Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

My favorite defense is "No, you see, its terrible on purpose to show where his character is. It's not that just completely loving sucks"

for the record it wasn't a defense i thought it loving sucked too lol

I hated when Cena went all Howdy Shucks and made everyone around him feel fake, I hate it when MJF does it too :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

AEW's cancellation will be the final domino in a chain that starts with "Jim Cornette gets really mad on Twitter that they killed Brian Griffin and tells his followers to protest"

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

part of what makes it fun is that Roddy is a crazy nerd so he's either wrong and has reason to be even madder or he's right and has every reason to gloat. it's extremely basic storytelling and you don't have to twist yourself into a knot for it. the biggest flaw with the devil angle is that it started too early and did gently caress all for a cycle and has had a few effects that have been corny but a simple whodunit stable is a wrestling tale as old as time. I'm fine with it.

But in the spirit of this thread: loving hell that golden jets promo made me leave the room it was bombing so loving bad dude. I turned the volume down. At least Ricky went crazy and saved it from being a total wash. He has every right to be mad when almost every face he's feuded with lately has done some corny "you're not actually that cool" line when it's extremely extremely obvious to Us, The Viewers that Ricky is in fact Incredibly Cool. I don't want to hear that Ricky is just a cheap Rock or a cheap Enzo Amore! I want to hear people talk about how cool his outfits are but call him out for cheating to win the Owen or how he always chokes or something! It's clear that he was trying to get the train back on track by actually putting over the credibility of the tag team championships and Kenny's involvement in AEW but man it feels like the faces were struggling to give him an inch! I hope big bill stomps Jericho's face into paste. why the gently caress did they have to name-drop Enzo Amore I have no desire to hear his name!!!! the riffing was just bad!!! A bad spot on an otherwise very good episode

Okay that's enough Hell for me, y'all have fun in here

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

This is a really good article, man. Super well-written, really fair in all respects, a great breakdown of every part of the story, including what worked and what didn't. I like that you added the post-script as well. I don't have any real animosity or rage towards the story - and in fact I love a bit of Mystery Masked Man Camp in my wrestling from time-to-time - but I don't think it's a secret that I've held it in significantly less esteem than, well, everything else that's been on the show in the last few months, and I do think the inconsistent nature of it is a major factor. We'll see what happens at Worlds End but I'm in agreement that I'm hoping it's Joe's time to be a top champ again and time for MJF to heal up for a bit, and that the new year will see AEW get back to mixing fun weirdness with real in-ring storytelling and (I don't love this phrase but) "sports-based presentation". It turns out spreadsheets and numbers mixing with cool wrestlers hitting each other with chops makes my brain go brrrr.

Thanks for posting it!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Petey Wheatstraw does end with a scene that's basically "BUCKLE UP, TEDDY.". Ask questions. :tinfoil:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

JUNGLE BOY posted:

well i guess i'd still have to eat the probe, and it would be very dumb, but it would be less dumb than relying on jack perry holding a microphone to carry a main event angle

It might be funnier if i didn't probe you, forcing you to rot in a hell of your own making :unsmigghh:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

If the devil is Jack Perry JUNGLE BOY should change his avatar to this image with the caption "i can be your angle or yuor devil"

That DICK! posted:

i think it would be cool if the devil was Lucifer Kayne, a never before seen character who will shake the world of wrestling as we know it.

:hmmyes:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

STONE COLD 64 posted:

you should do that to him if it happens

you're so right

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

they booked too much poo poo with me

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

fawning deference posted:

Keith Lee is another one of those guys who has his limit, rendering his Limitless nickname ironic.

He isn't mobile or versatile enough to go on a legitimate singles run, his promos are stupid and not good (not sure about you all but his fake smart guy voice is painful), etc.

He is a bit like Wardlow. He's awesome in kickass squashes where his exposure is controlled and not excessive, and he is probably best used in a tag team or a stable.

I liked Lee when he first arrived and I liked him and Swerve, but it's obvious that he can't really do much more than that.

He used to be able to until WWE killed him with COVID :smith: He was the coolest dude in the world.

Also that's just his voice, he just talks like that.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Is that also his natural cadence? His promos always feel like "this is a silly act" to me. None of it feels real or genuine, and the fake smart words are annoying. The old "using big words means you're smart" trope

Yeah, he's done plenty of podcasts and interviews and such, that's just him.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend if I know whether or not Keith Lee wanting to go back to WWE is true or not. I want to take Tony at his world and just believe it's an exacerbated injury. If he does go to WWE, it'll be a big few months for them taking back people who they nearly killed :shrug: As a fan, it's a bummer if that's what he really thinks. He was one of My Guys and one of the few wrestlers that I kept checking on even when I was completely checked out.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Okay well then I take back that it IS an act, but the fact that it FEELS like one and that he's not charismatic, I still stand by

You can die on whatever hill you want to but don't be alarmed when you realize you're dying alone.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

fart blood posted:

Goons: “it would be extremely funny if AEW went out of business”

Also goons: “WTF why is WWE the only game in town”

There seems to be a consistent issue where people are being worked by the Hell Thread. Don't get worked by the Hell Thread.

And, y'know, don't generalize in general...

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

She's still having great matches and finding more wrinkles to the character and the TCM introduction was great :colbert: Much like with Roddy, they stumbled into something that got really hot and had to capitalize on it, but are now finding ways to tease the nuances out of it.

Mariah May is beating her on Dynamite.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Cageside Seats said it was three different people that asked about it: one from PWI, one from USA Today, and one from Wrestling Observer. I didn't watch the scrum so maybe they all just sounded alike, I dunno

Yeah, they all sounded alike, so I thought they were the same person too. It was also the same question phrased slightly differently each time, all referencing "social media rumors" and with little regard to the victim. Everyone really came across like they wanted the gotcha points rather than any real, tangible answers, and that's where a lot of the frustration and confusion comes from.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

JUNGLE BOY posted:

goons have voice blindness

It's called "sensory processing disorder", okay?? :colbert:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Yuka and Mone coming in, Rosa back, Hayter back, and all the women who have stepped up, oh we're cooking

Fuckin' Cody, man. All I can do at this point is laugh. Fool me once, fool me twice, fool me a thousand times. There's no way he's coming back but if he does I hope he goes through a flaming table again because I wasn't watching when he did it the first time

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

McIntyre loving owns and proved young me (who hated him) wrong but as cool as the idea of him in AEW is I'm with the rest who would only want to see him if he comes in with the mindset of Copeland, Christian, Danielson, etc. He would also be an absolute monster there, dude is huge. Too many what-ifs for me to want him signed if the opportunity comes up but it would be neat to at least get one Drew Galloway match.

Sheamus is in a similar boat for me, I love the dude very much and there's a certain tantalizing nature to some of these WWE-lifers being forced to try something new for the good of the company Copeland or Jericho-style, but as we've seen sometimes it's just not a good fit when they just...don't actually adapt very well to the vibe.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

In his post show promo Swerve specifically mentioned Keith's leg. I have to wonder if they wanted to prevent a Chris Candido situation.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

He just didn't hit the funny threshold. Sad

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I like Jack Perry but like, yeah, once all the Real Glass hype and Devil theories died down the reality of it all really hit me. It was a stupid situation but it's one he was an undeniable part of that nearly ruined AEW's biggest show. It plays as well into Joe being world champ as what was at least partially a thank-you run for saving the drat thing.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

Tony should absolutely let Jack go for getting sucker punched by Punk for getting heel heat. Totally makes sense.

Tbh I have no real Larry in the fight, and I overall like the guy and was really into his heel run, I just think that the suspension being so lengthy makes a lot of sense with both incidents in mind. I'm sure it'll eventually blow over but it's a much bigger blow than I really thought about previously. I don't think he should get fired for being a stupid kid who made a dumb comment and got choked out and there's a reason the guy decades older than him who decided to scrap around heavy and expensive production equipment is the one who got the bigger consequence, but man he really nearly cocked things up big time twice huh

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Jack Perry, without clearing it with management, wore a T-shirt that said "CHRISTIAN CAGE IS A PUSSY", which made WBD execs very angry.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Should have left that one in the drafts !

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I love Ricky but he's definitely a guy who I think would benefit from some extra muscle. He's stylish and cool and I'm absolutely not going to pretend that a wrestler needs a certain amount of mass by any means but it's something I think would really benefit him a lot. He needs more physical presence. Great on the mic, does the job in the ring, was amazing in the Danielson match, but I think he's lacking something and I really hope he finds whatever that is and stays in AEW and doesn't go to NXT or whatever.

I like his team with Bill but it needs more focus. The Kenny/Jericho feud imploding did them no favors.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

tony is fighting bischoff on twitter

it owns

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

MJeff posted:

What do you guys think of the Cope Open? Is it a star using his stardom to feature young guys or is it just an old guy putting himself over young guys?

For me it's all about the mic time and the competitive nature of the matches that makes it feel-good TV to me. I like Edge and think he still "has it", and it's cool to get first-time-ever matches, and newer guys are getting ring time with a veteran they wouldn't have wrestled otherwise. It gets Copeland on the programming in a way that specifically highlights people that aren't just him while not holding up the title or main event scenes, and the video package for Lee Moriarty was a big step too. I'm not saying that Griff Garrison or Lee Moriarty are going to be made men overnight because of it, but I'm sure they're learning a lot, and I'll take some last Edge matches while he can still bump. Dude had to suddenly retire in 2009, let him wrestle random people and get yelled at by Shane Taylor all he wants.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

more like worked rights!!!!!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Yes, it was before he went to WWE

Hell, even in NXT he was great, I was lucky enough to see one of those Dijak matches live.

The dude was so drat good, bursting with charisma (which he still has boatloads of), but physically got ravaged by COVID. Shame!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

They definitely have problems promoting locally. They're also never in my region so they're basically leaving money on the table by not marketing to me directly. :mad:

But yeah, I'm hoping they get someone who can splash out hard on local spots, book radio and TV interviews, all of that. Having MJF on local talk shows demonstrably helped ticket sales. Often it's a matter of visibility, which right now is a struggle. Not incorrect for them to talk about rough attendance.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Pylons posted:

Tony could pay people to attend and it probably wouldn't mzke a dent in their current TV deal, let alone the next one.

He already does; didn't you see All In? :tinfoil:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

1glitch0 posted:

sold out for what they're set the building for, but you can't retire a beloved legend every show.

Not with that attitude!!!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

They also always had endless tapings with Dark squashes before they were running Collision and ROH, to say nothing of Rampage matches. It really does just boil down to a combination of subpar local promotion not getting the brand out, a down period they're recovering from, high ticket prices, and let's be honest the many waves of diseases going around right now aren't helping either. They gotta fix it! And with WWE cutting deals to prevent AEW from running their venues within certain timeframes it shuts out certain regular markets.

AEW come here and run UD Arena or something

Also the last Collision in St. Louis and the Daily's Place shows were loud as hell, chalk that up to good acoustics or whatever but they felt good.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

just out of curiosity i looked and the official AEW website roster has 125 men and 35 women, including managers and people like Colt or Ogogo who haven't worked in a while, to fill 5 hours a week of AEW. That's 25 men and 7 women per hour! Wow fans!

We need more brawls and party matches :hmmyes:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

"I hope he fuckin dies!!!!!!!!"

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

Tony going to put FTR in the first sanctioned oildome match.

lmfao

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I'm not saying flashing a gun during a road rage incident is entirely blameless or even good or anything but I do think actively hoping for Cash Wheeler to go to jail for five years for this is weirdo behavior

NienNunb posted:

FTR are great, im sorry the one guy is an annoying tweeter. That’s simply not my problem.

:yeah:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

TelevisedInsanity posted:

What's the difference between an eliminator and proving ground match

Eliminator takes you out of contention if you lose, Proving Ground puts you into contention if you win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

they should let the bottom guy fight the number 1 guy

It should operate on No More Heroes rules, if the bottom guy wins he automatically becomes number 1 but then that means the new number 1 guy can get challenged anywhere at any time by anyone in the ranks