Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Microplastics posted:

Maths nerds need to get out more

Guava's post just made me look up the wiki for sexy primes, and that contained a lot of fun links to other mathematics articles, and on top of that, baby it's cold outside :banjo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I recognize Tesla and Twain, but who are the walrus and the tycoon?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Multiple exclamation marks, a sure sign of a diseased mind :eng99:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Red Oktober posted:

The TV show Succession is pretty much about this too.

The thing with Succession is that you don't want any of the fail-children to actually get the inheritance, there's no one to root for, it's just awful people being awful for about 40 hours.

It's very well done for what it is, and worth watching, but not really one-to-one with the conversation so far :ohdear:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Not even The Disgusting Brothers?

No :colbert:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

Oh and Succession always looked really boring to me, also why is everyone talking about it the last day or two, I've seen more conversation about it than when it was airing

The topic of poo poo-head relatives and inheritance came up, and here we are.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Show I really enjoyed lately was Avenue 5, the Iannucci sci-fi comedy. It was exceptionally stupid, but very amusing with it. We're on the maiden Voyage of a luxury space cruise ship spending 8 weeks visiting the plants only for things to go badly wrong. Sadly got cancelled after 2 seasons but I still found it very funny. I may have been one of the few though.

Avenue 5 was great, the main cast really nailed the straight-faced absurdity of everything.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

UKMT Winterval 2023/24 - If I'm not at work I'm not wearing my wizard robe

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The Arcanum manual had recipes. For cooking food, not spells, but still kind of cool.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Fk me that song will be 40 next year! Older than some of you guys!
:corsair:

This must be the equivalent of celebrating DooM's 30th :corsair:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

Make your mind up mate, do us lefties just want to throw good money after bad in a feckless orgy of spending, or are we dangerous radicals trying to undermine or overthrow the basis of society?

Obviously these are the same thing. People, kids included, need to learn Values, Morals and the Joy From a Job Well Done, No Matter What. We can't have people lounging about at home (unless they're heirs to stupid fortunes), they should be out there picking up twigs so they can build a local schoolhouse, for their local kids, in their local community. Etc.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mebh posted:

Though again TV licensing tried to convince me I need a license to watch YouTube and Amazon prime. loving liars.

Was this a general thing, or did someone pick on you in particular?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sorry if I started a TV license derail, I was just asking because Finland finally got rid of it and the inspector nonsense some years a decade ago :corsair: and it's just a regular tax now.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

happyhippy posted:

Though a lot are not paying it in protest due to the Ryan Tubridy RTE payment scandal.

I never paid ours when it still existed, either, but now it's just a bit in my normal taxes and :shrug: so I guess mission accomplished? The ridiculous business with the inspectors etc. was just silly, thankfully I never encountered one in the wild.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

In this new one, you're meant to take everything they say seriously, and as a positive

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Azza Bamboo posted:

Theresa May as a sexy borg escapee?

The sexy borg escapee got Obama elected, don't give people ideas :ohdear:

e: Wolfenstein 3D came out in '92

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Fundamentally people do not believe that the future can be better any more, but the difference is that we don't have shows like TOS trying to show that the future could be better.

Orville isn't just family man in space!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Is it worth getting hold of? I've downloaded a few series in the past and abandoned them eg Outlander (watched whole of series 1 but Miss Goody Two Shoes was getting on my nerves by the end - my niece implores me to persist - says she improves in the following series - but I haven't done so yet).

Disclaimer: I am a gigantic politics nerd, so the show's premise sold me immediately. That said, it's decent enough teevee where the quality kind of drops at the third season. We're now at season 4 with 2 episodes left. It's better than the previous season in my opinion but the main criticism I and some folks over at the TVIV persists, the show focuses on the people drama a bit too much at the expense of alternative history / cool space stuff. That said, there is cool space stuff in the earlier seasons a-plenty, and their version of the 60's to 80's time-line is interesting.

The show also gets a huge plus from me personally for having a 2-minute scene which perfectly encapsulated the logic of MAD as one would explain it to an 8-year-old, but that's just me and my Dr Strangelove sense of humour :ohdear:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

lol it's still sci-fi chat

I was hoping someone else would defend UK teevee and name-drop Space: 1999 when it came to trek shows, but here I am, a stranger in a strange thread :smith:

Although I might just have a soft spot for it since it was one of the first sci-fi shows I saw. The black hole episode is great, at least.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Synthetic diamonds for dentures, my friends

Just don't bite your tongue, I guess

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah this is the part that genuinely baffles me, what possible advantage is there to being an animal and knowing your tooth is busted? Until a sufficiently advanced ape came along it's not like any animal can DO anything about it, it just risks so much pain they stop eating. And said ape had to keep going for a good long time before we got the tools and understanding to effectively deal with anything. Why aren't teeth just a solid lump of enamel?

Hell nevermind the eyes, maybe it's teeth that are evidence of Young Earth, they only make even a little bit if sense if the species starts out already developed enough to figure out a basic solution to tooth pain.

Apologies in advance for engaging in another derail, UKMT

A couple of things: Teeth are, as pointed out earlier, the hardest tissue in your body. For certain material properties that have to do with things like crack propagation and the general difficulty in mineralizing tissue, teeth have a relatively complicated microstructure. Basically, the hardened enamel (in many mammals, anyway) is composed of teeny tiny crystals, the 'idea' (survival trait) being that interfaces between crystals and lumps of crystals act as barriers for crack propagation when the tooth bites down on something hard. The very, very painful story of a poster cracking their molar in half notwithstanding, generally this works, teeth chip off pieces etc. but rarely get completely busted in normal mastication. If you get punched in the face, that's your problem, is evolution's answer I suppose.

And this is where the nerves come in. A lot of mammals, humans included, masticate material that has dirt in it. (Or bones, or other hard things) Of course the idea behind super markets is, among other things, to reduce the amount of dirt, but for non-domesticated mammals in particular your dental life-span (and consequently your own life-span) is tied to the amount of wear your tooth surfaces experience. Rule of thumb: More dirt, more wear, shorter life-span. It's more complicated and different animals have different types of tooth 'strategies' to better suit their diet, like birds and their beaks, but you get the gist. So for your grazing animal, for example, it's pretty handy to know how much you're chewing on dirt by how much sensation it generates. You also feel temperature etc., but the major factor for the utility of the nerves is regulating tooth wear. And because of the complicated structure outlined earlier, maturing teeth is often a time-consuming process, that's why humans have milk teeth (baby teeth?), you have a spare set while your proper ones are hardening. Some mammals have teeth that continue to grow throughout their lifespan sort of like a tree, but this means their teeth have to be worn down constantly or you get other kinds of problems, so human teeth in particular had natural selection choose the scheme we have. So, you gotta feel pain to know to be mindful of your teeth. And because evolution isn't overly concerned, for lack of a better term, with the survival of individuals, getting chronic tooth pain or otherwise majorly screwing your masticatory apparatus up is an 'acceptable' death condition, better luck to your siblings with their chewing.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Generally speaking, the male also has to be able to eat in order to engage in snoo-snoo, at least long-term. It doesn't always catch on your first try, no matter what they told you at school!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bring back proper roads with squid on 'em

No, bigger! :argh:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The Finnish Broadcasting Company is (unwittingly) stepping on Boris's turf :ohdear: Here's a newsclip explaining how people can donate their Christmas trees to horses.

https://i.imgur.com/BNOotCt.mp4

The horse's owner, Fanni, explains that this is a fun activity for the horse and the needles are good for their digestion. Do horse ranch owners count as landlords?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It's the tunnel network

Wasn't that Israel?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It suddenly makes sense that the shared UK trauma isn't Hitler, or Thatcher, it's Excel.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Loving the thicc red Britane

You and me both, baby :allears:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mebh posted:

I had a lovely moment over Christmas with my nieces visiting as we were shopping in Urban outfitters and my brother made a comment "oh is this the girls or the boys section?" and my 14 year old niece said "Daddy, there are no boys or girls sections, they're just clothes. You wear whatever you like"

Albert Einstein did not clap but I did silently get a little bit more hope for the younger generations.

Your niece can be my friend, if they like

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

This is stolen valor from the Steam Deck and I won't have it.

Release Half-life 3, Gaben

No Alyx doesn't count

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I can't quickly find an English source, but Finland got told off by the UN for handing out heroin like candy

I only mention this as Divine is Finnish

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

This is one of those things where I don't really want to sit down and think about it, but when you do, it's absolutely horrifying

edit oh poo poo, uh 162 is a funny number, wikipedia tells me it is smooth

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Exactly. You want to do what is right for the pupils in your care, that is part of the mandate, but then when it gets stretched out like that? What a soul-crushing place to be placed in. And the kids need help :(

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

HopperUK posted:

You are dicing with something potentially very serious. If they send you home with paracetamol that's a good result, that means nothing much was probably wrong after all, but the point is you go in CASE something serious is wrong.

loving hell. I deal with this poo poo so often at work. I know you don't want to go to the hospital, nobody wants to go to the hospital.

Every time I've had to visit the hospital, for myself or for someone else having to be there, everyone has been super nice and I really appreciated the human comfort they were able to give even with their hurried work pace. Even if you (as in the general you) think your complaint might be minor and oh gosh I shouldn't bother anyone, these folks see all sorts of really horrid poo poo on a daily basis, and not just funny dildo anecdotes but someone's granny dying and not really comprehending what is going on anymore, and your ache or whatever that isn't a big deal doesn't even register. Just seek help whenever anyone feels like they need it.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Miftan posted:

This is just a long way of saying that the solution to the pop-philosophy trolley problem is to find out who the fucker is that keeps tying people to the tracks.

...The actual trolley problem is a very good takedown of consequentialist ethics and has nothing to do with how people use it most of the time. Yes, I have a grudge.

It's OK, pop culture also solved it

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Tindalos posted:

Does this tie into the old "Catholics aren't really Christian, they actually worship Baal, Astarte/Isis, and Horus" thing?

User nickname, current conversation :hmmyes:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Stay safe, poopy story goon

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

But I'm still not old - if I fall over I am reported as "she fell over", you know you're old when it's "she had a fall" accompanied by nodding face, slightly tilted head, and wrinkled up nose.

Hope you don't fall over, goon friend :ohdear:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Libluini posted:

are you Brits trying to start the next world war

Ballsy, coming from a German

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I would like to see this person rendered into smithereens

Why is everything about the UK so abhorrent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU