Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

Are the OG Flash Gordon comics collected anywhere? I'm guessing there's nothing equivalent to the Fantagraphic Valients, but surely there's something?
I recall we had a gigantic book of them when I was a kid. Didn't really appreciate it at the time, though. I think it was pretty old, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I AM GRANDO posted:

Zits is inching closer and closer to Dustin territory here. I hope the mom realizes that Jeremy has a point and that mores and cultural expectations change over time.

Wasn't she calling somebody else her age, though? Jeremy would have a point if she was calling, like, Pierce or something.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

Good thing Popeye's becoming public domain soon, 'cause I sure would like any other writer doing a take on a modern Popeye/Olive story that isn't this person.
Remember when we were excited somebody who liked popeye was taking over? See, he even knows about [obscure character]! and then it turns out he can't draw a fight properly

Shugojin posted:

Milholland really likes Popeye but his own voice is too strong so it bleeds over. I still like it but I liked his stuff. It's definitely weird for Popeye.
It's a lot better than, say, whatishiname the creepy guy who did Nancy previously, but that's a very low bar.

Sundae posted:

And furthermore, we can clearly see that “Bats Aren’t Bugs” is Waterson’s way of critiquing the public education system….

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

So i dropped off the last thread around july last year and have one important question:

is the phantom still doing the same story line?

Yes but we're out of flashbacks. I think it's finally loving wrapping up.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

what in the gently caress is rene doing still being in town.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

So I've been reading the thread for a while now, and there's still one question that hasn't been answered for me: what exactly are the pluggers plugging?

Away, I think.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mokotow posted:

Finally jumping on the Prince Valiant train. I thought this is all fantasy world so the North African slave market threw me off.
Nope. Earth, "In the days of King Arthur" as the title logo says.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 11/30 - 12/2/42

I'm not really sure what Sweet Willie's plan is here. Stay in the room holding a gun on Ott and Marlys for the next ... 55 days?

Yeah even without Scarlet in there he's gotta sleep sometime, at which point, well. He gets shot or tied up and the couple let their uncle know somebody else snuck in.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

LvK posted:

ye gods, Vera Valiant is so drat good
Guy seems genuinely surprised that they're not considering the brochure conclusive evidence. :allears:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hostile V posted:

thaaaaat's politics.

Pictured: a CEO having class solidarity with another CEO, despite them being a horrible murderer. (Even by the world's standards, these being CEO of competing Murder Companies.)

Alhazred posted:

So you're only allow to kill and eat people you don't know?
Yes. Fun fact: This?
Also illegal! Prey aren't allowed to use anything but their "natural abilities" to evade predators!

Alhazred posted:

This is why most comics with talking animals avoid the logistics of how a world with sentient animals would work.
Or if they do don't have literally everything be sentient. Assorted mammal as people and then lizards as beasts of burden/transport/food, for example.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

Rose is Rose

Y'know, Rose and Husband seem to kiss a lot, but it always feels oddly chaste. They're not holding a candle to A&J in this "This person LOVES their spouse!" category - no other comic characters can - but still, there's a hollowness there.

:hmmyes: I wasn't getting my rant about the marriage feeling like it's barely holding together from nowhere.

Selachian posted:

Flash was a polo player in the original strip. They changed him to a football player in the Sam Jones movie because to an 80s audience, polo was a prissy rich guy's sport unbefitting an action hero.
I don't think it's gotten any less of a rich person's sport since, though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

You seem to have forgotten Gunk's main feature, which is that his eyes were stacked horizontally in the middle of his face. Which thankfully doesn't line up with any hurtful stereotypes, but he wasn't just some generic white kid.

IIRC that was dropped in his last appearance or two.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

you broke my grill posted:

what if Dr. Rex Morgan, MD had to give Rene a sponge bath ha ha just kidding

I don't think we've seen anything to indicate the hospital is that critically understaffed. It'd be some nurse that does it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I AM GRANDO posted:

When did Billingsly stop putting quotation marks around Onion’s name? Didn’t it always used to be Derek and “Onion”? I feel like I’ve missed a lot of changes in Curtis lore.

Onion finally got the paperwork finished for his name change.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

perhaps Val recognizes the slave and will help him get revenge? maybe?

and doesn't Angelique stay as a rat after this bullshit? much like the "pray away the gay" camps, trauma doesn't "fix" you.

I think she lays off of the rabbit hunting, so it's a rousing success for the heroes protagonists.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

It's going to be one of those situations where Cooper doesn't have to do anything; the threat alone will be enough to freak Stuart out and cause him to gently caress up his own job.

Already started, he took a whole one strip to do it.

Cowslips Warren posted:

If this was a recent story, I'd be tempted (no I will not touch the DNA poop) to email Holbrook and ask why he's anti-trans in regards to Angelique but if anyone calls Bruno a wolf (note, just calls, doesn't rip his fur off or try to steal his ruminant stomachs), they must be punished!
Oh I know the answer to this. Angelique doing this predates the intentional trans metaphors, so despite them being very similar situations to Anqgelique's, Holbrook never went back to think about her situation more so he doesn't realize she could be read as a trans metaphor like Bruno.

Hell, look at all the poo poo like the Computer Bug in On The Fast Rack which started as just a visual metaphor joke, and then became completely literal when Holbrook seemingly forgot they were a visual metaphor which wasn't really happening.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

An Taoiseach posted:

It almost endearing that Holbrook thinks very little of the worlds he sets up (and a *lot* less than we do); his focus is entirely on just how laboured a visual metaphor he can shoehorn into tomorrow's strip, and seems to have been for a quarter-century at this point
He's doing three daily strips at the same time, his attention is split three ways, which might have something to do with it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Giant Ethicist posted:

And that’s the end of Bardiche Hotel! As I think I’ve said, this has turned into one of my top two or three Q-Rais joints, it just maintains a really particular kind of storybook mood very well throughout, while letting Q-Rais exercise some of the weird surrealism muscles from Chako. As usual, if you want to reread or share it around I’ve got the whole thing up on MangaDex: https://mangadex.org/title/b5d63cfa-ea1d-4082-9537-7392a45daa4f/bardiche-hotel

Bardiche Hotel was great, and I hope Q-Rais is far form done making comics in general.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

also, my prediction: Given his poo poo-stirring nature, Ming II isn't actually dead.
Yeah from our perspective that investigation is missing a lot of things, like "establishing the cause of death"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ardeem posted:

We have a cause of death, what we lack is a weapon.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

That's hearsay, that's not an autopsy of the body.
We do also lack the weapon though, you are correct.
:hmmyes:
And where's the body right now? My hypothetical money is on "Ming II isn't even dead".

And even if he is, was he stabbed in the front, where Flash was, or the back? The Inquisitor hasn't brought any of that kind of thing up she's going off one eyewitness account who didn't actually see the death.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 27, 2024

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Why has this strip been extremely yellow lately?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Awful eager to get him thrown into a cell before anyone can remember to ask about the body :raise:

How do we even know this person who's showing absolutely no skin is who they claim they are anyway. That is like the perfect uniform for making it easy to impersonate you.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

That would answer the question of the weapon.
And "pending a full investigation." Unless I missed something it was unclear if this was the final verdict or not during the week.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

You know, Rene seemed to be a fine art teacher, and since he knows this guy he probably could have done all this self-help stuff totally legit. What I'm saying is Rene is a very bad con man and would be better off just using his talents for real things.

Don't forget that he was working as an art forger for a mafia boss when we first met him.

This is gonna go so badly for the guy that reassigned him when one of his allies, which includes the queen, tries to check on him.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Yeaaah, given how the queen has been played like a fiddle this entire arc so far by the people who clearly have it in for Flash? I give it three in-universe months before anyone realizes he's been hosed over.

Probably gonna be some purges once it happens, and Dale and Zarkov are likely going to want to check on him and update him about the investigation sooner rather than later.

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse lol

Holy poo poo.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 7/26/59

That doesn't really look safe for the dog.
Nor does having nothing between the pilot and the rotors if there's some kind of accident.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

... why didn't you take Lotahr in by helicopter on this time-sensitive mission?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kennel posted:

He wasn't there.

You win this time, Fredericks.
Okay fine. :colbert:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Samovar posted:

I like how everyone else has a standard hologram profile, but then we have the witch-queen elegantly posed in her case file photo.
Clearly she was posed normally when the holo was taken, but it just turned out like that anyway. What's the point of being a witch-queen if you ca't' gently caress with things like that?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 9/13/59

Rosey the Robot it ain't.
... Infrared gas? The hell is that? Like wouldn't it be one or the other?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the mouse talks now?!?!?!
It started having occasional dialogue in the mystery scene a while back, yeah.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Since when does Jeremy care about his food beyond there being a lot of it?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah and then he pours three boxes of that into a bowl and eats it for breakfast.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

She literally did. Second sentence.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

The excitement never stops with this strip!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Huh. I did not know that "tangent" is used in art to mean ... bad... art... things, like two objects overlapping in a confusing way. I would guess that the term is related to the mathematical concept of a tangent, because there the tangent also touches another thing. But I guess I still don't get what the "tangent" is specifically in the second panel.

Her arm is also the divide between the green grass and brown dirt.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 11/8/59

Man, if only BART had actually gone to the entire BA. :sigh:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Doomykins posted:

On that note I want to call in advance that Bones story about "an old fashioned death squad came to town" is a tip off a future development. I mean it's a given Ming is alive but New Flash is so drat good it could mean anything in how we get there and what developments occur. I just think that's a big tip off to shenanigans, maybe even from Aura herself? Or whoever else on this planet is up to questionable things.

It's a really cool look at the point in a setting where we assume all the good guys casually forge a golden era after the villain is knocked off. I was tickled pink by the ancient evil bastard in charge of the prison that ripped up Flash's order.
Yeah, we very specifically have not learned that Ming was dead, everybody in the room with him were ejected or blacked out before finding out what happened to him. There is no way he's not alive.

The death squad though could just be that, like the Jailmaster, Aura has not actually gone through things and started the changes and stuff, it's been like. A few days. She hasn't had time to start doing any reforms.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I mean, they were about as helpful as an rear end in a top hat on his elbow during Flash's trial...

That wasn't even a trail, it was "As lead investigator I think we need to keep this suspect in custody for now".

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

hey remember when Holbrook did a huge anti-trans/species strip about Angelique but it was okay cause she's Bad and deserved it, compared to Bruno who is Good?

I can't imagine how much better he can run this poo poo.

He doesn't realize he did that. Bruno was his "First"* trans analogy, and he never goes back to rethink earlier decisions.

*Intentional

Bruceski posted:

:actually: the name of the monster is Victor Frankenstien.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Oh, I get it. This is a clip show episode.