Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

After the 2018 Blue Wave, there was some thing being bandied about showing that White Evangelicals were on the decline and would no longer be the force they have been in politics in… 2024. :eng99:

There were a bunch of end/beginning of the year articles about how the largest religious group in the US is now Spiritual Nones, which is the unchurched/non-practicing Christians aka Cultural Christians. I think NYT did one that was specifically Trump supporters.
So on the one hand the decline is statistically measurable, and has already hit the point of unlikely return. But on the other, they have even less reason to give a poo poo about how un-biblical their beliefs are.
Losing an organized propaganda hub is better in the long term and is likely to keep defusing, but we know how becoming an internet subculture goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich

Sounds like the perfect guy for the job

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich

kw0134 posted:

How effective has Ronna McDonna's tenure been anyway? Even if you replace her with clown shoes, her guiding principle has been sucking up to Trump anyway till now.

She was at least slowing down the RNC paying Trump's legal defenses and reserving money for down ticket. She also wasn't trying to run their ground game all-volunteer.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich
She was doing the mid-Trump admin play of kissing his rear end in public while waiting for him to get distracted or blaming dems for "making" them do the practical thing. But there's only so much you can do when everybody is stealing from the till and demanding star treatment. $250,000 on limos last year.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

This for real? :lol:

$256,635 on limos, and ~$70,000 on floral arrangements

Spindle fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 7, 2024

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich

kazil posted:

Ok but why did he bring the Israel aid vote to the floor? That one wasn't even close

The "plan" was a One-Two punch- they slap Biden with the (doomed) impeachment, and then with the establishment Rs defeated / blood in the water, they tuck tail and vote in the (doomed) Israel bill, since both are just message bills anyway.
This was about Johnson standing up to McConnell.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich

bird food bathtub posted:

So chuds are going to have a motion to vacate Johnson when?

Probably not until the next shutdown attempt, at least. HFC keep threatening- and did it a lot after they kicked the can on the budget, which should have gotten him vacated -but they want someone else to take the blame. That leverage is part of why this dumb poo poo happened, though.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich
Also the point of that was "I have a file on you"

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich
Putin clowning on a dipshit American journalist is just self-care

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich
Imagine how insufferable Gaetz must be to work with, that even with their anxieties around the voting margin, they reopened the investigation and kept it rolling after the retirements.
And then he went after Kevin again.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich

emSparkly posted:

The thing is, the bud light freak out and the target freak out have kinda sent a message to corporations that getting queer people involved in anything might make line go down, so it should be avoided.

I don’t like rainbow capitalism but at least having basic bitch pride stuff at target is an indicator that people think we’re not threatening abominations. I’d like to keep it there at least.

It's following the same pattern interracial relationships in ads did, both in the flutters of cowardice and normalization for the general public. Soft support is incremental progress, and it does mean something to kids who don't understand the politics.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich
Every time we get a Kevin Update, the revenge scope narrows more and more. The last one was focused down to Mace and Good, who are out anyway since they certified. Kevin can't even do this right.

Didn't Mike Johnson's office announce something like "This year he's brought in 7 times more than before he was speaker!" and then not give a number.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich

madmatt112 posted:

I missed the Kevin Update, what is that lumpy sumbitch up to these days?

He had a press conference today, apparently

quote:

At another point in the press conference, he also appeared to make another reference to his enemy’s Ethics probe, or at the very least his sex life: “He probably lies about who he sleeps with too.”
Mr Gaetz responded to a tweet quoting that particular remark: “What stage of grief is this?”

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich

Three Olives posted:

Love that Trump keeps going after electric cars, a product that no consumer I have heard that has actually been in one or owned one doesn't love and I am seeing more and more of every day.

The CBO just revised its projections on how much the Inflation Reduction Act will cost, partly because they expect more claimed tax credits for electric vehicles. Which nobody is buying.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I was watching a lot of EV videos over the pandemic - mostly stuff about what they’re like to live with, and what a road trip in one is like - and one of them was a guy talking about his experience buying a Ford Mach-E. He said the salesperson was super unprofessional and straight up said, “we don’t get anything for selling these,” so there’s something hosed up with how Ford (and likely other companies) are incentivizing the dealers to sell them.

Dealership owners are disproportionately republican and there's an incestuous relationship between the oil companies and the auto industry. Not my area, but I know the latter has been part of the slow walk on EVs, no reason why the former wouldn't be an aggravating factor.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich
The "gift wrapping room" is a class thing, but it's also a presidency thing the First Lady(s staff) is often in charge of. World Leaders, diplomats, etc. and their spouses often trade gifts, and there's presidential swag for the peons as well.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich
IF Musk had the money free, he might see value in getting Trump to stop making GBS threads on electric cars + Twitter return. We just saw a version of this play out with Anheuser-Busch.
Trump would take anybody's money no problem- "That's just smart" is self-healing for his followers, and they're trying to give money to bail him out too.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich
The Bush years had plenty of outright racism to anyone they perceived as Middle Eastern, which was mostly given a pass because of the wars and "strong feelings after 9/11". Before then you had a gradient of confederate poo poo that the GOP would make "he's a man of his time" noises about. There was a Republican comms fad of trying to work the word "niggardly" into conversation and then pretending to be persecuted for using a perfectly good dictionary word.
The big difference is the media used to make the GOP issue "this does not represent us" statements, but now things are "considered racially charged", they allow Republicans to claim they haven't heard it without followup, and those remarks are allowed to be one-week scandals (if that).

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich
But Trump allies said he was likely referring to Mercedes Schlapp, a political commentator and wife of American Conservative Union (CPAC organizer) chair and former White House staffer Matt Schlapp, who he mentioned later in the speech.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich
Dean took money from Harlan Crow (but claimed he gave it to charity after he got caught) so just spoiler poo poo.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich

Dean did (so did Cornel West) and while you could brush that off, his campaign was working with Steve Kramer.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich

mllaneza posted:

Do it even if you're thinking that Trump loses anyway, because a big get out the vote drive will make him lose by more, which will produce even more :lol:s.

Other benefits of bigger margins:
1) Less chance of having to wait several days to know who won, so we can sleep.
2) Every little bit helps the downticket, which is how we get out of this loving mess in the long term.
3) Push the public perception/media coverage away from "VOTER FRAUD (the evidence is in my heart)" and toward "Republicans crying wolf as usual".
4) The more loser stink on Trump, the more the GOP will suffer trying to pivot while he owns the RNC.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich
How you ask about identity in a poll can change how people group themselves, particularly if the poll only has 5-6 categories. Iirc there's been a shift where people who previously identified as White have become more comfortable identifying as White Hispanic, meanwhile second or third generation mixed race kids tend to lean away from Hispanic as an identity.
I wouldn't be surprised if the lovely DNA test industry is encouraging more people to identify as mixed race who wouldn't have self-identified that way in the past.

Cultural identity changes aren't a "problem", to be clear- but it means you're not going to get a clean comparison, and would be a factor in polling.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich

Presumably the same donation laundering as last time

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich

Hazo posted:

It’s sounds like syrup guy isn’t the rear end in a top hat— he was mocking the lady who didn’t want to celebrate the woman whose likeness was used for Jemima.

Unless I’m reading that wrong?

Pischke didn't give a reason (that I saw) for the bill to commemorate Nancy Green as the spokesperson for Aunt Jemima, but Green isn't connected to SD. He used a bottle of Mrs. Butterworth's, presumably because they're the only ones still using the mammy design. It was probably intended to own the libs by complaining about the rebrand to Pearl Milling Company that is now almost three years old.

Pischke: "I was expecting her (Conzet) to be filled with gratitude, I’m wondering if the Speaker is jealous that he didn’t receive a bottle, too, and that’s his justification for this."

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich

kazil posted:

Exit polls so whatever, but if Haley is pulling 30+ percent that's pretty bad for Trump

Do we have any comparable numbers on Never Trump for last election? I feel like they did occasionally ask in the primaries, but not consistently.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich

Hollismason posted:

I think they were advocates against drunk driving?
That's MADD.
Making up a 20th anniversary would be a new (unsurprising) low, but Conservative orgs form, rebrand, and collapse so quickly they could be counting anything.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

In fact, the question was asked earlier how come Donald Trump wasn’t ever charged with crimes way before he was ever involved in politics, and the answer is: he could’ve/should’ve been charged in the 90s but he was practically American royalty, and it didn’t hurt that he was a friend of Bill Clinton :cripes:

The less fun sub answer is that there are a finite number of investigators and prosecutors, and for the same amount of money and time it would take to put one (1) Special Boy in prison, you can catch dozens of middle-class frauds with decent lawyers, and hundreds of self-representing working class tax cheats. It's not just the system bending over backwards not to put rich (donating) criminals in jail; gouging out public funds to hire more IRS agents is a solid investment. As long as you stick to fleecing people who can't sue back or are equally criminal, you're never going to be notable enough that you float to the top of a very long list.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich
9. Debts and Obligations Owed TO the Committee 0.00
Itemize all on SCHEDULE C or SCHEDULE D
10. Debts and Obligations Owed BY the Committee 0.00

I don't know, maybe that's normal,

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich

John Wick of Dogs posted:

What legal issue could hypothetically be explored by the supreme Court here.

8th Amendment violation, "excessive fines".

Edit: To be clear, this is what conservatives are saying he should use, not my hypothetical.

Spindle fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 22, 2024

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich
Good times in the Senate last night
https://twitter.com/LisaDNews/status/1771374016382808181

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich

HKR posted:

about however much it costs for ai image generation

It's just mangled by compression. What looks like AI garble right under "Hammond" is the bottom of "Louisiana" in script.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich

Braksgirl posted:

Pardon me, but I took that photo Friday night, buddy. Here is a amscreenshot of it in my camera roll with the location.

Louisiana doesn't have the worst plates, but they chose graphic design with the elegant simplicity of always tilted and off-center.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich

John Wick of Dogs posted:

So I have three questions

What was the mean, median, and mode of the affair partners

10 was for intercourse, so it's more like Sex Intensity.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich

Three Olives posted:

Honestly, I do think there is something deeply weird with Trump right now. I don't know if his mental decline has gotten a lot worse, he actually is broke, he is depressed, but he is not doing the like like really minimal basic stuff to run a political campaign, he isn't doing major fundraising, he isn't going to battleground states, he is barely doing rallies. His messaging is insane and not even like his insane political stuff that people like, it's just a constant flow of weird personal grievances. His campaign site doesn't even have any job listings but it's recruiting volunteers? You need people to organize volunteers and figure out what they need to do before you get a bunch of volunteers "recruited". That is not how political organizing or fundraising works.

It's easy and true to say that the Trump campaign is run by idiot clowns but tons of things run by idiot clowns understand like the very basic things you need to do raise money and organize volunteers.

I think he's just hit that terminal point where there isn't anyone left to say no to him anymore. Trump did all the stuff he was "supposed" to do last time (badly) and lost anyway, so obviously those idiots gave him bad advice.
The one priority Trump pushed for the RNC was putting together apparatus for contesting the election. Why bother spending money on GOTV when you're going to sue anyway?

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich

Three Olives posted:

Except the message in 2020 is let Trump be Trump, no one expected or believed in him the first time and he inexplicably pulled off a win. The first time he had the campaign apparatus, the second time he had lost a lot of it and the third time is just destroy the whole thing? It's like against all evidence, people misunderstood the results of the first campaign, the RNC had a shot at getting a racist baboon rapist elected president if they managed to keep their people together.

People/Trump say he won despite the RNC, I think there is more evidence that he won because the RNC promised there would be adults in the room to control him.

Trump still regularly telling people not to vote for him is pretty telling.
For as many foreground Republicans who are washing their hands of Trump's bullshit, the attrition rate behind the scenes has to be worse. Especially after he gutted the RNC.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich
RFKJr is attracting the person who votes to stick it to The System, which is why they went for Trump in 2016. There's no possibility of them voting for Biden, they were at most shaving off of Marianne Williamson.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich
In exchange for angering Biden's actual rather than theoretical supporters, moving the Trans Day of Awareness plays into the Conservative "unholy" bigotry and implies Trans people are incapable of being Christian.
And for that gift, Republicans would still cry that it was too close and happening at all.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich
Trump Admin did release everything they had on "aliens", there just wasn't a lot, and the sworn statements were from people who weren't considered credible.

edit: This wasn't everything, it was just the first UFO link I could pull out of the mess of "illegal aliens" in search.

Spindle fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich

Almost Smart posted:

Like, has any sitting Republican pulled this poo poo and switched to a democrat? I’m wracking my brain, but the closest I’ve come is someone switching to an independent… right before they retire or are expected to lose a primary by 80%. It’s honestly kind of infuriating, especially as the other side is starting to openly embrace literal fascism.

Yes, but you can argue notability.