Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Dapper_Swindler posted:

very true but i always wonder how much of ths poo poo assholes like jordan and higgins believe. Like gosar and green and boeb believer most of the bullshit. and cruz believes some of the idiology but not this poo poo but will parrot it because power. i always wonder about higgins.

Probably around all of it. I think one of the more telling things Elon Musk said in recent weeks was that he doesn't look online or read papers to see what the news is, he gets everything from posts on Twitter. A very large number of people in this country are in a similar situation where they go by what extremely curated sources tell them instead of a broad spectrum of sources. MTG was a QAnon believer for several years, only renouncing the ideology after the 2018 midterms, supposedly. We have video of her stalking AOC down the halls of Congress and yelling through her office's mail slot, accompanied by a guy who got arrested for his actions on J6,;she heckled David Hogg at an event because she didn't think Parkland happened.

I know a lot of people in this thread listen to Knowledge Fight because it is frequently referenced as the only context people have for Alex Jones' insanity. You could run 50 Knowledge Fights off of other right wing media and have content left over because they just have so much weird poo poo out there and the politicians in the same sphere actively follow this poo poo. The right wing is a content farm, not a political entity. If you give Ted Cruz the option to ban all abortion or record a low effort podcast he's going to the studio every time. These people suck not just for their opinions, but for their dedication to actually doing their jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Hollismason posted:

Just a real genius move to claim that the prosecutor and the DA are having a personal affair

Trump's people claimed the DA and a gang member had a sexual relationship before all this even started. This is low level stuff for him now.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Escape From Noise posted:

Uhoh! This guy is breaking the case wide open!

They're really grasping at everything within reach. They have no evidence of why this was done and no knowledge of how state and federal prosecutions may overlap and share details, so clearly the answer is a massive conspiracy where Joe Biden directed GA prosecutors to go after Your Favorite President!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

BigglesSWE posted:

I remember these forums were turning themselves silly worrying about the “competent fascist” DeSantis would be, effectively turning into the “Trump minus the baggage” for the GOP.

LoL, lmao even, boy did we whiff that one.

The entire self immolation of Ron DeSantis will be studied by political science students in years to come or he'll be a bullet point on "the list of people Trump had killed on day one of his second term" in the history textbooks. Just an amazing amount of hype from the right and concern on the left for this guy because he was basically making hate crimes legal and then it turned out he's super awkward and unable to handle pressure or even uncomfortable questions. Staffs his campaign with extremely online weirdos who think the entire point in life is to own the libs without understanding the guy they are working for needs to win over Trump voters who are divorced from reality and don't even care about Ron's policies of making hate crimes legal. In a sane world the 90 or so indictments against Trump would cause his supporters to flee to other candidates, but it's a cult, so Ron just makes the Homelander face and gets owned by GAVIN NEWSOME of all people on national TV. Even his fundraising strategy was so stupid that his campaign probably won't survive after Super Tuesday because he thought you could just have the dark money from the Super PAC do everything only to have the guy running the PAC to exit scam a month before the first primary. It's an abject lesson in playing yourself that has probably ruined his wife's chances at being the next governor of their incredibly cursed state due to her involvement in a number of these decisions.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Sedgr posted:

Training in the dark, alone, with all his friends just out of frame.

It was a long day, he needed an entire package of fruit snacks to have the energy to take this picture.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Totbot posted:

Lol, who is the “Trump was the most peaceful prez ever” even for? Literally no normal person will ever buy it, and the cultists openly want a violent dictator.

During the 2016 campaign there was a long running argument on who supported the war in Iraq in 2003. Trump had a Howard Stern interview where he said it was probably the right thing and Clinton voted to approve the thing. This started the whole Donnie the Dove vs. Hillary the Hawk thing that MAGA has been supporting ever since because they could just handwave the fact that Trump is on video saying the Iraq War was a good idea by claiming he just misheard the question. Trump also tried to close a number of foreign military bases, gave the Taliban the deal that allowed them to retake Afghanistan and pulled out of Syria. I don't think anyone would be upset about us reducing our foreign commitments, but almost everything Trump did on that front was done in true Trump fashion. On top of that, he spent a lot of time working on the relationship with North Korea and Saudi Arabia, the latter focused on getting Israel recognition by states that were allied with SA. Of course, the accomplishments are balanced by the failures, like the Israel deal being just a recognition and not some sort of trade deal or real solution to tensions in the region. The fact that he almost immediately got soldiers killed, stepped up drone strikes to the point where in his four years the military killed something like five times more people than Obama had with drones.

When Biden took office Russia had been escalating towards invading Ukraine for a while and Israel does a Palestinian war every four years or so. The Taliban taking over Afghanistan thanks to Trump's "peace" deal a few months into his presidency helped nothing. All these situations were things he inherited and before the Israel-Palestine war (remember that Israel has been sending soldiers into the West Bank since October and taking over territory and buildings while pretending the war is against Hamas, indicating a previously planned set of operations) he was the Ukraine War guy and Republicans love Russia, so Biden sending money and equipment to Ukraine is bad, Trump bombing the gently caress out out of Yemen, Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan never happened. In fact, Trump was a peace president and Biden is a warmonger. Please ignore the fact that all of the Republican party is totally cool with every cent spent on Israel doing war crimes. This has made the "Trump didn't start any wars" meme a thing among MAGA people because analysis is hard and they just don't bother with that. Biden didn't start any wars or even increase our presence in other countries, he's just funded the war in Ukraine that Republicans hate and been totally cool with Israel being an Apartheid state like all presidents. This situation with the Houthis is still an issue and I expect that to not factor in MAGA thoughts at all because we're bombing the "right" people.

I guess the answer is that Republicans are very tired of being the pro-war party and want to present the four years Trump was in office as a peaceful period rather than a chaotic mess of special forces missions and drone strikes. This shouldn't work, because you have people running for President in that party who have said they'll declare war on Mexico on day one. Unfortunately, people are extremely stupid and think that Democrats are more war-like than Republicans because Trump tried to give Putin everything he wanted and failed, making him a peacetime president.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

PhazonLink posted:

isnt Tuck in the Swanson tv dinner family and therefore megafoodcorp money rich?

why cant he have a normal desk and a home studio like his old fox one?

Well, Tucker is the stepson of the heir of the Swanson frozen dinner empire because Tucker's birth mother almost immediately left his father after Tucker was born. Tucker's grandfather made an even more grand exit.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean the Taliban regaining control of Afghanistan was inevitable. We could stay there for the next 50 years and that wouldn’t change

Oh, no doubt that was the end result of our involvement there, Trump releasing the people who led the takeover after we withdrew would have been an amazing self own if he had won a second term. Instead he lost and everyone blames Biden for the Afghanistan withdrawal which he had delayed in order to make it less of a clusterfuck.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

kazil posted:

The entire idea of a caucus is dumb as poo poo

Agreed, especially because you have to group up for your candidate and every time this poo poo happens people come out saying they didn't go with their first or second choice because they felt pressured by friends and neighbors to vote for someone else. I'm anticipating some threats of violence this time around.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

0xAYN posted:

lmao it also is almost exactly 8 months after his botched and hilarious Twitter Spaces thing with DeSantis

Very funny that two different campaigns realized that Twitter Spaces was a good place to talk about their campaign because the majority of the people there are overly online far right psychos and the grifter near-billionaire was better at it than the second-term governor. Vivek pissing loudly on a live mic during Alex Jones' return to Twitter is going to be one of those things we remember and laugh at every time he comes up.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

nine-gear crow posted:

It's loving hilarious that both Vivek and The Quartering now have "took a very loud and obvious piss during a livestream" in common now. No word on whether Vivek's piss was also prompted by his wife going out to dinner with her boyfriend and leaving him a drunken miserable mess like Hamby's was.

It's great that multiple conservative figures have had "Drunk 20 something on XBox Live" moments in the last few years. Just really great guys, should totally be influential in the politics of this country.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Dapper_Swindler posted:

are the affairs proven? like i wouldnt be shocked either way but like most of the stuff about affair stuff i have read is vague about it.

Yeah, the FBI was trying to use those specifically to get MLK to stop agitating. Encouraged him to kill himself rather than having the FBI reveal the affairs. It's a whole thing.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Kingo Ligma posted:

It's loving wild that there's an entire industry of dudes videoing themselves painstakingly explaining every single way they're a massive loser and then saying "but being a massive loser is totally masculine" at the end

Part of me really thinks that some of these guys say stuff like this because they know it draws attention and they may get some people who agree that they shouldn't have to make an effort in their relationships. The kind of guy who thinks it's totally cool that his dad would get his mom a vacuum for her birthday and wishes he could get away with the same. On the other hand, it's extremely weird that pretty much every sign of affection men can show their partners is considered "gay" by a subset of conservative influencers to the point where "fellas, is it gay to..." is a meme format. The obsession with being masculine equaling being an rear end in a top hat or not enjoying specific things is another easy method to not only to stir up engagement, but it lets them start an argument that X or Y isn't a real man because they do A and not B and start targeting people in the news/media.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

ManBoyChef posted:

His tombstone is going to say "Its Okay to Say Gay Now."

Between Trump, Limbaugh, DeSantis, MTG, Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, Alex Jones, and the million other chuds in office and in the media who will die in our lifetimes we are going to single handedly solve the problem of the dearth of public unisex bathrooms in the next 50 years.

redshirt posted:

How the heck did DeSantis get elected Governor of Florida? I know Florida is Chud Central, but he seems to not have an instinctual political bone in his body. Did he face no competition in Florida? Was his opponent (Republican) that bad?

Beating the Dems, sure, but how did he get nominated?

He had two things going, name recognition and Trump endorsing him. Remember the incredibly painful ads where he was trying to make his extremely small child say "Make America Great Again" as their first words? This was back when Trump ruled the party and all you needed was his endorsement to cruise to a primary win. It also helped he was running against a bunch of people who were complete political nobodies, only one of his opponents was a state elected official at the time, the other opponents were like private contractors and physical therapists.

He also did/does something that I noticed caught on in the 2022 elections. A lot of the high profile candidates made sure they were close to conservative media outlets while ignoring more mainstream outlets. I think Doug Mastriano in PA was the most prevalent example of that because he would decline talking to the Washington Post while agreeing to appear on some QAnon adjacent podcast. DeSantis has been laser focused on talking to only the friendliest of media since day one, so him saying something stupid or making weird faces was only something we discovered this year when he's been doing it the whole time, but had less of a national spotlight on his shoes clearly not having toes in them. It works great in primaries, but can be a major problem in the general.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

^^^Remember when Trump put noted brain surgeon Ben Carson in charge of HUD and the reasoning Mike Huckabee offered was "Ben Carson grew up in public housing" and that poo poo turned out to be a lie so the Trump admin had to scramble to find a reason a guy with no experience at all on the subject matter should be in charge of a government agency.

Escape From Noise posted:

No. I don't. WTF?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1YP_zZJFXs

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 16, 2024

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i doubt its trump and more chinas economy is a massive shitshow.

It's been predicted for over a year that China is eventually going to have to face the music over the way real estate became overly heated, ever since the Evergrande fiasco. I'm also pretty sure you could go back a couple weeks and find a similar day on their index funds.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Someone selected the Juggernaut killstreak.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

fishing with the fam posted:

So fuckin funny to me that all that it took was a single primary caucus loss to have Ronny D running away with his tail tucked between his legs. Absolute piss baby poo poo.

There's a chance that his campaign finances were just so busted he couldn't continue on. His strategy of having the Super PAC be the main support structure using unlimited dark money and the actual campaign being relatively small and low cost was the same strategy JEB! used and was part of the reason he didn't make it too far in 2016. The only way that sort of plan would function is if you break the law on not coordinating with the Super PAC or get momentum in early states so you can turn those wins into donations from the usual sources looking to get in good with the eventual nominee.

Losing hard in Iowa and polling at single digits in NH presaged a very embarrassing couple months of primary losses for a guy who was seen as the future of the GOP just a few months ago. NH has a history doing the "gently caress you I won't do what you tell me" thing in primary voting and is probably the best hope in the early states for someone to get a win over Trump. DeSantis being so far out of second place with just a couple days to go and dwindling funds along with a dysfunctional campaign (his Iowa campaign chair spent the last week leading up to the caucus putting together a 1000 puzzle in the office and not doing any actual work) even someone as egomaniacal as DeSantis had to have seen that he had no chance at flipping the script. There's a high percentage chance that this was clear as soon as the votes were tallied in Iowa and DeSantis has been talking to the Trump people behind the scenes since then to negotiate his exit from the campaign. I wouldn't be surprised if he or his wife didn't get cabinet positions promised out of this. Ron needs a way to keep his name in the news and soak up the Trump glory after he leaves the governorship and Casey would probably love to build her political profile.

The funny thing is that Trump's campaign could probably get the endorsement for free because Ron clearly hates Haley for ruining his chance at being the second place nominee. Ron can place second to Trump and people will excuse that because this was always Trump's to lose. Everyone on the debate stage was running to be the last person standing when Trump is found guilty of something or other and being the only choice the party has. Ron absolutely can't place third, even a close third instead of the distant third he was showing because that's inexcusable for one of the party's major stars and hurts his future candidacy for the presidency. You can't lose to the crime elemental with the melted brain AND a woman (and one with a foreign name at that!) in state after state and retain your reputation. Bowing out early solves that problem and gives DeSantis the chance to burnish his reputation as like the Secretary of Anti-Woke or some other thing Trump will make up for him.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

CommieGIR posted:

"Game is Rigged, concerning."

Blinky has Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

BigglesSWE posted:

If I had the money to fly private I’d settle for Business/1st Class, to show everyone how down to Earth I am!

I found out that Eric Trump travels American Airlines because the CEO is friends with Don Sr. and the whole Trump family flies business class for free. According to the guy who was telling me about this, Eric will start conversations with that fact if you ask him why he doesn't use his dad's plane.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

A year ago it was a gas stove graphic. Cruz being a Canadian really messes with his point here.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Almost Smart posted:

I’m a day late, but noted Trump buddy Vince McMahon stands credibly accused of sex trafficking (and threesome face-making GBS threads) in a new court filing.

It’s odd how many people in Trump’s orbit keep getting nailed for these kinds of crimes. There’s almost enough there to create another Law & Order spin-off.

This reminded me that Vince and Linda were the only two people who actually contributed to Trump's scam charity thinking it was legit. At least Linda got to run the small business administration out of that.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Data Graham posted:

I've always kind of wondered specifically about the Marines and how they seem to have their own whole thing going on wrt loyalty to the Marines itself rather than to the country or the Constitution. How does all this institutional loyalty stuff square with all the 1 2 3 4 I LOVE THE MARINE CORPS stuff we get in R Lee Ermey movies

I've heard a lot of theories on why THE MARINES is a whole thing (not the sub-branch of the military, the culture around it). The one I buy into is that pretty much from the Spanish-American War to the invasion of Iraq the Marines were the first ones in, so they got the most stories about them which translated into books and movies being made about the Marines heroically facing enemy fire because holding a position long term is the Army's job and that poo poo is boring even if they get shot at more. So pop culture tells you that the REAL soldiers are the Marines and they are the elites and can't fail. Tom Lehrer had a song about them being the way the US projects force in the world and that view hasn't really changed in the last 60 years. "He was a Marine" or some variation of (usually "He IS a Marine, soldier!") is shorthand for a character being a badass. There are several movie series where the entire concept is a Marine does poo poo no one else could against the odds. Sniper, Shooter and the very on the nose The Marine all feature main characters who are just amazing because the Marines made them that way.

The idea is that the Marines are a special thing and so people who were in the Marines obsess about how cool it is that they were a Marine. I have a number of friends who were in the Army and Air Force and they're nowhere near as obsessed about having been in those branches. Not saying all Marines are like that, but I don't see stickers on the back windows of pickup trucks letting me know the owner was a Ranger or whatever.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Toxic Mental posted:

Just surprise me with a massive hit of fentanyl in my last meal so at least I can go out blissfully unaware

Or just abolish totalitarian state-sponsored human sacrifice

Between that and the Nitrogen affixation you've hit two of the three methods people chose for death in Operation Hail Mary. I feel like the opioid/opiate death would be the least horrible, but I'm sure that the prison system would make it miserable as possible.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Toxic Mental posted:

Do you mean Project Hail Mary

Yes, I have no idea why I decided Operation was the right word besides previously posting about the Marines.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Toxic Mental posted:

I’ve never read it, why were people opting for suicide?

Without spoiling the whole story: The idea is that they made a one way trip to a distant star and once they got what they needed off the trip they would send back automated probes, but wouldn't have enough fuel to send their ship back to Earth, so the crew was destined to die and each was asked how they would like to go. The American decided on Nitrogen, the Russian on a heroin overdose and the Chinese guy went with shooting himself in the head, assuming that he would need to put the other two out of their misery if their methods didn't work. Worth a read, but the audiobook feels like the right space for the writing style as Weir's books are more conversational/explanatory than most first person narratives. Artemis works better when Rosario Dawson reads it than when you do as well.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Imagine being so bad at everything that a guy who thinks people are gangstalking him sees your poo poo and says "this is pure cringe."

Jim Stewartson legit thinks his posting enemies have people following him, by the way.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Almost Smart posted:

I could be wrong, but I don’t remember TS endorsing Biden so much as she took the mildest of stands against MAGA lunacy and all the horrible regressive poo poo that entailed.

I’d wager a pretty healthy portion of voters aren’t so much pro-Biden as they are anti-Trump.

I think it was even more mild than that. She had voter registration booths at her concerts and there was that video recorded a while back that came out last year where her dad was trying to get her to not get into politics (specifically, she planned on making a statement against Marsha Blackburn) and Swift laid into him because he was more interested in making the most money possible vs. doing something with her platform.

There was some tweet or post the other day that's getting passed around where one guy (has to be a guy) is posting that he wants the 49ers to win the Superbowl because none of the players on the team "Get Political"...Except for Nick Bosa, but that's OK because he supports Trump. These people are as thin skinned as their idol, any pushback they get or anything they perceive as making a political statement against their position needs to be attacked as evil and adversarial to their own beliefs. The constant stream of video clips and statements about how some conservative or another won't get on a plane if the pilot isn't a white guy lives in the same wavelength, but even somehow more embarrassing for them because it's really scraping the bottom of the barrel for "things worth worrying about."

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

funeral home DJ posted:

Honestly the NFL boycott is as real to me as the umpteen boycotts they’ve had against Disney, Bud Light, etc. where it’s all performative horse poo poo said online and in the media. Not a single one of them would cancel their flights to their Vegas or Florida vacations upon learning the pilots were women, just like how not a single NFL fan actually stopped watching the games.

Football is bigger than ever and owns something like eight of the top 10 most watched TV events every year. I still hear people say "I can't watch the games because they kneel at the national anthem" despite that being a thing from eight years ago, but they're such a vocal minority they think their little boycott was huge and remains so.

A lot of the people who are "boycotting" Disney aren't even in Disney's target demographic and they started their crusade against the company around when it got extremely clear their movie division was seemingly unlearning how to make anything worth watching. Instead of realizing there was no real interest in that one movie everyone forgot existed immediately after it came out they just kept shouting "GO WOKE GO BROKE" because there was a same sex kiss, which led to a boycott that worked; in their minds, anyway. They can't accept that stuff isn't good and have to hyperfocus on their grievances so they can feel like they have control and power when they are just living in the same world as us where Disney makes a bunch of bad movies.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

redshirt posted:

What's this all about? I read nothing about it beforehand (from WaPo)

That's been in the works for a while. When the republicans killed the expanded child tax credit "after" COVID by refusing to extend it democrats started hammering them about the huge economic benefits it had provided to some of the people most effected by increasing inflation rates. I think most of the reason it died was because, like Grassley said, they didn't want to give Biden a win and at that time they were screaming about the deficit. The tax breaks on businesses is news to me, though. I would have to guess that the elimination of those specific research and development breaks in favor of an overall lower tax rate just pumped more money into stock buybacks rather than investments, which has a negative downstream effect.

On that latter point, I think the Trump Tax Bill will probably be looked back upon as one of his only and worse legislative accomplishments. Phasing out lower tier tax breaks over time while making upper level breaks permanent, killing popular/common deductions at once without phasing them back in while those rates increased to older levels and giving Wall Street more cash to pump stock prices through the reduced corporate rate and capital gains tax reductions, causing a massive spike in the deficit even before COVID. There was really no real benefit to passing the tax bill besides the poison pill of "your taxes will just increase unless you give republicans control of the government forever" and when people didn't give them majorities in both houses and the presidency they were faced with looking like they increased taxes. People are dumb as gently caress and will blame Biden, but even five seconds of looking at what happened and you'll see it was a situation he inherited and didn't cause.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

TontoCorazon posted:

Kinda defeats the purpose of a union if the leadership is just gonna cozy up to the same people that don't want unions to exist in the first place

That's why Shawn Fain is the loving GOAT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRSAgq7dm1A&t=75s

I was in a UAW affiliated union in 2016 and during the primaries (not even the general) a survey was passed around asking who we wanted the union to endorse. I'll never forget that the top three were Trump, Bernie and Cruz. As much as Republicans rail against unions a good number of the members want those exact people to run the country. "I work for the company, not the union!" was a common refrain from the guy with a Trump banner in his corner of the cube that spent his day either sleeping or searching for Punisher Skull merchandise on Amazon. He was very angry about welfare queens who just sat around all day and got fat while being a 300 pound dude who worked for a defense company paying him from government contracts.

People are loving stupid is what I'm saying here.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Vampire Panties posted:

its 1000000% this. NFL owners pick their own. Bezos got banned from bidding on the Washington Commanders because he owns WaPo and the existing owner didn't like their writing.

Here's an effortpost about NFL ownership weirdness that I swear gets to Trump, skip over if you don't care about the dominant form of entertainment in the US:

It was insane that Dan Snyder wasn't forced to sell the team ten years ago when the original reports in the Washington Post started coming out over the team's treatment of its cheerleaders and other stories about the disgusting behavior of the organization's management. Jerry Richardson was forced to sell the Panthers almost as soon as the stories about his behavior came out, but Snyder got to keep the Washington Football Team through multiple controversies and every year the question was "hey, is THIS the scandal that will force an ownership change" and Jerry Jones of all people was usually the reasonable one saying that it should be a consideration. JERRY JONES! The like third scummiest owner in the league! The first two are Packers shareholders.

When Snyder was forced to sell it was for loving with the money. Stan Kroenke had cost the NFL more by moving the Rams out of St. Louis, but the league wanted someone in LA forever and were more than fine with taking that hit because they got a new stadium AND fixed the problem the Chargers had with Spanos not having the capital either politically or monetarily, to get San Deigo to build him a new stadium. Snyder, by comparison, had lied to the league about ticket sales and had seen several stadium proposals turned down in the last few years because he was Dan Snyder and everyone in the larger DC area hates his guts and expects he'll gently caress them over if they give him a deal, and the team needs a new stadium, the 2022 sewage water and collapsing railing/fans falling videos showed the place is coming apart at the seams. Very telling that the league went with an ownership group fronted by a guy who already owns a basketball team and bizarrely, Magic Johnson (Magic is part of the group, not owned by the other guy). It's really clear the plan is to leverage the new ownership to get a stadium built in probably Virginia to take advantage of Younkin being stupid enough to agree to a billion dollars of stadium that will go unused for 3/4th of the year. It's why the Bills started negotiating with Hochul and the Erie County executives after the 2022 election because Kathy is a loving mark who will agree to anything. They would have dealt with Highmark for a few more years if Zeldin won because he would have just complained about the Woke Buffalo Bills wanting state money.

That's how this all gets back to Trump. He had wanted to buy the Bills in 2014 and the league went with someone who 1) has actual money and 2) already owned a team in the area (the Buffalo Sabers in the NHL). Where they can, the league likes to keep ownership local and Trump has no ties to upstate NY despite most of his voters being here. The Bills had threatened to move to various cities over the years, back when OJ gashed defenses instead of ex-wives it was a constant threat. It's been commented by a number of people that Trump's bid for the team was more publicity than offer; that's likely true, but the league looked at this guy just one year from launching a vanity presidential bid and said he was unfit to own an NFL team. The owner of the Jets would be an ambassador in Trump's administration. The owner of the Texans would comment that the "inmates are running the asylum" while Trump was complaining that NFL players kneeled at the anthem. Michael Bidwell regularly sexually assaults women with his now-former-GM that he says is a random defensive coach to avoid attention (allegedly). The McClaskys committed multiple war crimes in every draft from 2017 onward. The owners of NFL teams are Trump people all the way down (Jeff Lurie and whichever Rooney is in charge now probably not so much), they didn't reject him because he's an insane narcissist or his politics. They love that poo poo, they are him but with cash on hand. Trump was going to gently caress with the money, that's it, that is the entire reason they rejected his bid and moved on to serious contenders. We would be talking about the Bedford Bills if Trump had bought the team and he'd bury an ex-wife on the 50 yard line.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Obsidianheart posted:

Ah, yes, funny people, notoriously good leaders.

(Actually, Zelenskyy seems like a pretty good leader and by all accounts, that guy was hilarious, but whatever.)

I have to wonder if Putin shows up to the meetings of the authoritarian club and gets ragged on for running one of the most "powerful" countries for 20 years and still not being able to conquer a country run by a literal comedian.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

That's the face I make every time I have to look over the shoulder of a boss who doesn't understand QWERTY and types like a word a minute. All their files are saved to their desktop. Just loving kill me, dude.

Aramis posted:

I don't know where that "Trump is objectively funny" as a serious right-wing talking point comes from, but it's been gaining a weird amount of momentum recently. I think it really might be all they have left as far as trying to push for him while trying to avoid coming across like a sociopath.

The "mean tweets, strong country" or whatever image has been going around since the election and I think that and the "He's just joking!" poo poo won't go away anytime soon. There's also an anti-war element in the right wing now that continually spread the Donnie the Dove bullshit. I think the latter is going to be a bigger talking point going into November because of Ukraine, Israel, Yemen and Iran related stuff. None of those are really Biden created situations, though his handling of Gaza is questionable at best, the right has decided that Biden is a war president and the conspiracy that there will be a national draft has started circulating among the dumbest and most online influencers who will eventually have their theories broadcast on FOX. We're a few weeks away from some Newsmax person putting the Trump-putting-a-candy-bar-on-a-kid's-head graphic on screen while stating things were more lighthearted when Trump was in control.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Accipiter posted:

It's because he got called out on it since he doesn't ever actually do any real work.

Wow, the AI images have started to get good. Wait, these are real? The two phones picture is legit? I hate this place.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

kazil posted:

lol the desperation is real

Crooked Joe Biden has said he won't deal with a media apparatus that will cut and cull the interview he does to make him look bad. I, the ketamine elemental, will gladly step in despite being no one in our political system. SAD!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Three Olives posted:

No, I think the plan is to wreck the RNC so donations get directed to the Trump PAC so Trump can steal it.

100% Trump demanded the change because Niki Haley is still in the race and he wants someone who will force her to drop. Trump already out raised the RNC and you know he felt entitled to what they did have and that the party was inclined to give him everything he wanted.

Can't wait for RNC chair Devin Nunes, that'll be fun.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Alex Jones dedicated a whole show to insisting the FBI had warned Border Security that there would be a white nationalist attack at a migrant center and spinning entire new conspiracies off of that about facial recognition and NGOs sending people there to false flag attack migrant centers. I have to think this was the specific thing that generated that story. In his version it was a nebulous idea, not a specific case/guy.

bird food bathtub posted:

It's Jacob Wohl. He would just lie about it. Heavily edit the tape to never show the woman and just say they're a pedo. When you have absolutely no allegiance to the truth, things get real easy and they've done exactly this before. Invite a woman to your rape-boat and say she was there for an orgy. It's all just lies.

Everyone likes the driveway press conference and the time Burkman stood around with his fly down, but the best Wohl thing was easily the time that he, Ali Alexander and Laura Loomer went to Minnesota in an an attempt to prove that Ilhan Omar had been married to her brother. Each of them continuously insisted they were being followed and kicked out of places for asking questions and that their security detail was concerned for their lives (notably, no security guards were ever seen in any scene of the movie). It also got really obvious that Wohl and Loomer were loving during the trip and Alexander was acting the part of a super awkward third wheel.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Outpost22 posted:

It's 2024, why not just have remote voting?

Proxy voting had been a thing for a long while. Republicans decided that was bad and not cool because it was used during COVID and so killed it. Steve Scalise could have made the difference if it was still allowed.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean the bud light thing did work. They took a massive hit and the company basically groveled on their hands and knees did a while.

Why conservatives aren’t taking the dub instead of fighting a fight they objectively won I dunno

It's easy attention and a good shorthand for the next time they need to rally anger over whatever their scare quotes word of the day is. I would wait until after the Superbowl to see if this is going to be an issue for them much longer because Bud Lite is going to have Dana White and a bunch of chud favorites on your screen for an ad that's going to suck on every level. The Trump post from the other day is part of their mea culpa; clearly not posted by him and his social media guy who's name I can never remember likely put that up after the check cleared.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

kazil posted:

Ok but why did he bring the Israel aid vote to the floor? That one wasn't even close

Probably promised to do that to make the Freedom Caucus happy and then when the impeachment fell through the chuds decided to take it out on Johnson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

What's the next brand stupid politicians will try to attach themselves for visibility?

Will it be Ronald McDonald after Disney, Twitter, NFL, and T.Swift?

The thing around Swift and the NFL is really funny because a lot of the guys who were posting those "New Thing" memes a few months back like Benny Johnson and Jack Posobic immediately started repeating the "Taylor Swift is a psyop!" lines that seem to have started with Jesse Watters. These are the same people who were loudly declaring that they don't watch sports or talk about pop culture because those are distractions from the important things in the world, yet seem to know the contents of every new movie and the political opinions of sports stars and TV actors.

I know that they say that contradiction comes about because Hollywood has an agenda and so they need to pay attention when there's a gay kiss in a movie, but it's so hilariously stupid that they repeatedly swing from "I'm a serious person who only cares about REAL issues" when nothing is upsetting them in the media that day and then Elon Musk tweets out something about Star Wars and suddenly Ben Shapiro knows everything about the franchise and rants about how Disney made it Woke for a solid week.