Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

FunkyFjord posted:

I legit really like the incendiary grenade against bugs.

I gotta stan the impact grenades on this one, hands down the 1 hit kill for spewers is too vital for me, but I'm a dirty arc wielder so take that with a grain of salt.

Edit: what blows my mind about this game is how totally fleshed out and different the faction encounters are. How I deal with bugs is so far removed from bots, and the illuminaties aren't even in yet.

I gotta wonder though, there's an AWFULLY lot of empty space on the map... even for 3 factions to fight over. Makes me wonder if there's a whole bunch cooking they haven't talked about yet factions wise

Amazing Member fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
something (among the many of things) that isn't exactly clear to me is the laser cannon: for instance, i read on this thread that although it will show the deflection symbol when aiming at a chargers foot, if held long enough on that focused point it will start to melt/crack/penetrate or something and do damage. Is this typical? does the laser damage slowly erode plating or is it like a scaling damage where the longer it's focused on that part the higher the dps goes?

it's not (seemingly) consistent. I've had fights where I'll aim it on a chargers leg but it wont do the typical 'grunts' of pain like when its receiving damage, so its not clear.

On the brightside of things, one thing i noticed that I really like about this game is that it reminds me (oddly) of Monster Hunter: World. You're dropped into an open map, theres an ecology, theres things to collect, theres environmental hazards and you have your own objectives for being there, and thats mixed with this kind of extraction shooter metric with samples being worth something.

Speaking of, I wonder what more they'll do with that system? Between running out of things to buy with requisition slips, i wonder what we can eventually do with samples once we'te done maxing all the tiers?

Amazing Member fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 8, 2024

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

That's so weird, maybe thats causing a lot of the confusion at AH and on the reddit forums, even without support weapons, taking out a charger seems pretty straight forward, it could just be a lot of people are getting stuck or a negative reaction to shooting the legs and just giving up trying, so many tiny things out of sync with this great game. This last update seems to have spawned some more anti-democratic bugs, i've had issues picking up the small arms shield and having my arms bug out wildly, and cant use strategems with it on.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

There's at least three more tiers of destroyer upgrades that they haven't released yet so the sample grind is just getting started.

:bisonyes:

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Yo these bots are getting pissed :stare:

Joel!! :argh:

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
Light armor concept: the skydive suit - when launched in air (due to explosion, most likely) can glide and use Stims/grenades.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
I'm thinking the scaling issue is somehow correlated to the population density. They've talked about how they had developed controls to actively induce challenges across all games with rules as Joel gets fiesty, I'm wondering if the explosion of popularity somehow off balanced the spawn/dynamic health pool of some of the enemies we've seen.

Like, killing the little bugs, up to the warriors feels good, and reactive. Same for bots, up to the specials is where it actually feels like a chore.

I like the responsiveness of the damage model, parts fly off of berserkers, armor Cracks off of chargers, but they do feel just a tad bit beefier than expected.

I also hate the turn rate of the charger; for something that has infinite stamina its like a heat seeking missile to your location. I also don't currently like the slip and slide oil slick feeties they've had installed these past couple of patches. But that could just be a net code issue.

It's an incredible game and I'm gonna keep playing, and for a game of this caliber to not be an early access title? Feature complete with more to come? I might not buy another game all year.

It definitely feels like it needs some values adjusted and they've said as much, but also, I've yet to play with an actual group of friends over coms which I think would make it so much less of a burden fighting specials.

Even with a decent pick up group communicating with pings and the limited in game VO, it was enough to get everyone orientated.

Amazing Member fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 10, 2024

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
Just learned that the machine gun support item sometimes chips charger leg armor enough to pen, but it's not consistent? So many things to try!

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

This game would be better if your support weapon and backpack didn’t take up a stratagem slot. or if they were combined into one. I’d like to be able to take more than 2 blow poo poo up on demand strats.

To be fair, you actually are given a whole free slot with this sequel as the original didn't have a complimentary supply drop strat. That poo poo was a mandatory slot outside of coordinated group play.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
neat video came up on my feed for a milsim kinda guy, apparently the CEO and someone else from his team played a few diff 6 with the camera rolling and dropped a few gold bits, namely stealth: enemy units can hear, see, and smell

i didnt know that call ins of any type attract attention (after your first), it really makes me consider all the cascade fails might be from call in after call in

super interesting stuff, i really wish they talked about how they do pathfinding, because im still seeing tons of chargers slip and slide themselves on to the tops of hills where they become stuck...so odd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJs_kqHrzzQ&t=993s

Amazing Member fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 10, 2024

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Sindai posted:

I guess that does confirm the theory that patrols route towards players. Or at least the last place you blew things up.

i've started bringing sentries as a sort of trap bait. throw it down as your moving onto the next objective/clearing out the last breach and patrols will route to it as you run away, you'll rack up some kills, attract patrols and distract enemies from your movements. It really is guerilla warefare. Reminds me of airborne drops the day(s) before normandy, (i'm also on a band of brothers kick again so it fits).

Basically, anything that makes sounds to you, probably can be hear by the enemy, and they'll be attracted to the light and sound of even supplies dropping so act accordingly. if you're getting overrun then back off, scatter and collect yourself before organizing the next offense.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

i set up a voice attack profile so whenever i want a 500kg bomb i simply yell UP RIGHT DOWN DOWN DOWN

All my profiles are Democratic announcements,

"Capitalism is my friend!", gas bomb

"Reaganomics wasn't that bad!", 500k

" My insurance will cover that!" Orbital rail strike

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

If you can do haz5 well, you will adapt in barely four days to this poo poo, trust me.

The hardest thing imo... is teamwork. Because the map are usually open 500mx500m (?) maps, and there are primary, secondary and bonus objectives, people disperse easily, each wanting to go for different objectives. In DRG people also could separate but still it was easier to maintain coherence, because the tunnel restrict more the player movement.

Gonna be honest, watching some diff 9 streams and it's not uncommon to see solos do their thing and rack up stuff and loot from across the map.

It really seemed to be about knowing the limits of your kit and pre planning appropriately. Yeah, stratagems have longer cool down times than it takes for you to be up to your neck again but it is possible to run and gun and kite until the next opportunity arises to clear.

It just doesn't feel good and it can definitely feel hopeless but from what I witnessed, and then put into practice myself, is that you should consider diversifying your stratagems for specific scenarios, instead of opting to be " the turret guy"

EAT's are a great example of being "in the heat of the moment" call ins , they sticky onto chargers (thank liberty!), and remember to try to focus one special at a time, especially chargers. Yes it gets harder when jumped on by hunters but if you have the right tools it gets just a hair easier, and always remember:

"You didn't become a Helldiver because you thought it was gonna be easy, did you?"

Edit: I will say they gotta fix spawns though, having mobs spawn in front of me 20m away is next level terrifying and not very democratic

Amazing Member fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 12, 2024

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Jakabite posted:

This has to be the most cinematic non-“linear action/rpg game” ever right?

It certainly has my vote. I think what I like about it is that it's rough and chaotic, seemingly uncompromisingly.

The Elden ring of action shooters, where expression of individual skill really can shine but doesn't completely nullify something randomly ruining your (fragile) life.

It's the quintessential ODST experience for me.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
One thing that feels awful and I hope they get a look at is how stunning, or flinching an enemy doesn't always stop their movement and they'll actually " float " forward while in the flinch animation.

I've had berserkers rushing me and I'll hit them with a slug, they'll flinch but continue sliding towards me as if their momentum was unfazed.

It's saddening

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Dyz posted:

I really think they need to just add a 5 second spawning animation and/or grace period if this is how they want patrols to work.

I've had the same thing happen with bots except the patrol spawned 3 jp dudes who immediately suicided and killed me.

I've had the random pop in patrols too, and I haven't seen them mention it being a thing too so I'm guessing it's working by design? If thats the case it seems that the intention was that you would most likely always be near your team and not have solos running off, but in practice most of my diff 9 games are 1 guy outpacing everyone in scout/light armor, doing basically everything and everyone else just trailing behind mopping up the mobs they incite.

It seems they never considered that not everyone was going to be a team player, but they've also massively exploded in population so I guess it's plausible, just odd

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

LazyMaybe posted:

they aren't "practically hitscan", anywhere other than right up close sprinting perpendicular to them makes the rockets miss. and devestators do not "preaim". if a devastator is shooting rockets at you right as you round a corner, that means you previously exposed yourself to its LoS for it to start the firing animation, entered cover, then exited cover again at a bad time. or it's shooting at a teammate and you're in the line of fire.
the latter is harder to predict, but both are things you mitigate with situational awareness.

I know this is an annoying sort of reply but exaggerating these kinds of things just makes it more unclear.

Nah, he's right. Rockets are busted a bit. At minimum they are unfun to get hit and if you survive you're now motion-locked as your body ragdolls or skids across the field/wall/ ground. As hilarious as it always is, it does open you up to immediate fire and possibly another volley from the initial devastator or follow up from rocket grunts.

I've also gotten domed with very slight exposure from behind a wall, with a ramp and still got 1hko'd. It was extremely surprising and meh.

The game is good and fun and war is hell and all but there does seem to be jank. Luckily the game can brush it off and still be beautiful like how fall damage applies to shriekers even 1-shoting bile titans when they crash into them. just :discourse:

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

LazyMaybe posted:

None of this contradicts anything that I said in my post

Oh ok, excuse me:

- You have no practical way of knowing the actual logic behind the coding in aiming, thus your assertion is moot; it may very be 'practically hitscan' as the original poster described and has thus been experienced by thousands of players, ( you experience this yourself when a rocket from a devastator or rocket grunt, or any rocket wielding unit of the Automaton faction lands a direct hit with a rocket. Note: it is not the splash damage that most players are reporting to be 1-shoting them)

- Your preamble about sprinting causing bots to miss their rockets is subjective to your iterative experience as is the way you entirely experience this game, I use a PS4 controller, so stopping to pop and aim is the likeliest method as running, mousing backwards, popping off a dope 360 no-scope headshot, chugging my mountain dew XXL and crusting off my cheeto dusted fingertips are not something i can easily do in the moment with a controller,

-the scenario's you described of 'rounding a corner as a bot is firing' or perhaps the bot 'was already shooting at a teammate" is again; subjective to your iterative experience and not actually ascribing to the original posters issue. You seem to flatly deny that there is any issue with rocket devastators or hulks when it's pretty clear that it's hotly debated whether it is as intended or perhaps an oversight on the developers side.

The games fun, dude, but it ain't perfect. If Helldivers 2 wants to be the Elden Ring of 3rd person shooters, i'm not against it. It's just not clear with its' intentions on if everything is working as it should, defined by their internal vision of how a session should play out.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Just to be clear though the bot guns aren't hitscan either, they shoot projectiles.

I read this as the aiming portion is a hitscan, as in; the bot entity has an alert status query and starts a scan in its designated aim range and when it hits the player it shoots. The aim portion is hit scan, that's how the aim seems to be impeccable.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Saraiguma posted:

no one has ever used the word hitscan to mean this ever sorry

it's ok, its a brave new world out there, and communicating complicated ideas into condensed form using 'words' and 'language' is sure to catch on one day.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
Hi guys its me, Amazing Member, I made a post where I describe "hitscan" from the post I read a page back from another user; in that post that i wrote I described how I understood what the OP was describing from my perspective.

Did you know? Hitscan has one specific meaning in the game world lexicon of shooter games?

I did.

But i'm also able to learn that words can mean different things and change in meaning over time, you know, like an idiot right?

In other actually relevant news: the scout buggy owns, toot toot muthertruckers :bandwagon:

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

:hmmyes:

Man, I can't help but wonder what this games gonna be like in a year. Like, they seem to have so many things in the pipeline and the new patch today alludes to new things being around the corner. I wonder how far their post-release content timeline is right now. They already had the new block of content ready and now we've had mechs, new weapons, armor, events, maps, and even enemy types. I cannot imagine they're under too much pressure since the games been a hit at launch but they've got so much work cut out right now with the supposed month to month battlepass drop.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Fabricated posted:

I still think it's wild they somehow made a really solid feeling third-person/first-person shooter with pretty large maps using the aborted game engine from loving Autodesk, after previously just making mostly top-down shooters.

The hardest test to their success, in my opinion, is going to be staying power and ongoing development.

Things are functional, yet sometimes seemingly stuck together by rubber bands, scotch tape, and the heart filling esteem of democracy itself.

I wonder about a year from now with the added content if there will be additional hiccups or they hopefully take a few cycles to adjust performance.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Pharmaskittle posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they did a flame trooper battlepass the way they did a tesla trooper one. Tinfoil armor that keeps you from taking fire DoT and a hand flamer would be sick

I think there's armor styled like that floating around that may allude to that.

I mean they already have arc resist, it seems like a natural evolution to consider continuing the " resist x" armor sets

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

JBP posted:

I have tried to charge in and hellbomb many flyer nests and it is a fool's errand most of the time. They will start attacking you from a way out. You can duck and roll through them, but then you're trying to set up the bomb while a heap of the fuckers divebomb you and it's likely there are heaps more bugs around. I just run in and throw 120s at the base then book it.

tactics are gonna change depending on how many divers are in the game with you and what diff level you're at. Personally, i've found a gatling sentry works well at aa defence for you but can be moderately overburdened once ground bugs get close to aggro it.

I typically play with full teams at diff 7-9 though so ymmv.

I'm seeing people suggest the laser cannon though now, so theres that

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
New patch seems a little shaky; getting performance hiccups and drops in fps.

I really hope they make a push for a performance patch once this next one drops

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Sindai posted:

Blitzer would probably be fine if it just had the same rapid fire mechanic arc thrower has.

As it is the low RoF really makes you feel how random it is.

The caveat being it's a primary and not a support weapon so it's always available as either a backup to your support weapon or your go to.

I like it against bots; one shots grunts and stagger-slides berserkers. It does take llike 4-7 shots but you never reload or run out of ammo so it kinda works.

-

Has anyone else tried running without a support weapon and just using what you find in the field?

Had a blitz run with only 3 slots so decide to do an eagle run, found an MG with no extra mags from the one it had and it was just so fun using it in place of whatever. This game

Amazing Member fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 27, 2024

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

FunkyFjord posted:

Might have to give it a shot against bots, haven't even tried that. It seems like it doesn't have any range though, maybe blitzer + senator?

Definitely take something ranged for your support, maybe AC or laser cannon? I definitely felt hindered with targets outside of medium range with my stratagems on CD, but when I get berserker rushed or jump packed I can rely on the shotgun taser. Note: it won't pen scout walkers, but I run stun grenades in those cases so I can flank, though you can also use normal nades or impacts, your pref.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Sioux posted:

So happy they fixed the Arc bug, so yesterday I could zap all the Helldivers again.

FTFY

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

johnny park posted:

Yeah I'm a big fan of the DMR vs bots. Some people also swear by the Scorcher, and my friend LOVES the plasma Punisher

I'd actually like some more short-medium range support weapon options, I have no idea what yet, maybe a melee weapon?

Just give me something to compliment having a "reach out and touch something" DMR or marksman,

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Reiley posted:

So when we link up with a friend, our Star Destroyer just parks next to theirs and we play as one of their ship's cryo guys? That's the part where I thought they were transport pods, is going to a friend's ship and then me coming out of a chilly tube, I thought they just shot me through the cold void of space onto their ship.

The way I understand it, it's about ordinance coordination.

There are thousands of battlegroups across the surface ( which you can see outside), the destroyer is the main character but can only be in low orbit so long and in order to achieve "pinpoint" orbital accuracy they need boots on the ground (you). So they defrost some microwavable weenies and synchronize their watches by launching at the exact same time as the destroyer drops to low orbit.

But that's just my headcannon

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Biffmotron posted:

In other small details, I was fiddling with the audio menus, and well, you should check out the volume settings yourself.

Just don't change a setting mid-mission, updating it somehow screws a lot of things at once and can increase instability. I had to restart my client after I started getting a massive performance drop.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
Democracy Officer : Can you smell it, Helldiver?

The sweet scent of--

AA DEFENSE, -1 STRATAGEM SLOT

:smith:

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

"Look Familiar?"

:smug:

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Willie Tomg posted:

I feel like saying "the community is bad" is unfair to a game that unexpectedly sold about 7.5 million more lifetime copies than its devs ever dreamed in its first release month...

I'm so happy for Arrowhead over this, can't imagine how delightfully sobering it is to catch that lightning bolt in a bottle.

I do hope they can maintain the amount of excitement for a while, at least.

They have a plan of action and it's definitely working with their original core fans, and now with millions of new fans, I wonder how this might augment future content. I mean it seems like they're adding more and more though so hey finger-crossed

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
I love how divided the community is over having to choose between a handful of fronts across a few planets at a time in a game about spreading "managed democracy".

It's so on brand, it's so good.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

Please stop picking up dead peoples’ poo poo. If you pick up my auto cannon backpack and then don’t even bother to pick up the auto cannon, I am just gonna TK you to get my kit back and I will feel no remorse.

Counter-point: pick up all the poo poo, all the time.

Bring no support weapons, just follow someone that does or that has eats, when they get splat, keep the conga line moving. Hell, I'd pick up your unthrown grenades if I could.

Never not pick up equipment if it can get you out of a pickle ( and if a dude asks you to drop their equip if theirs is on cooldown then maybe kindly oblige :goleft: )

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Risky Bisquick posted:

:bisonyes: Throw him in to make live action propaganda promos

This, but make it against bots or the aliens.

I know, I know he's most known for anti bug propaganda but the one they have already for their opening is already so good on its own that a second one wouldnt be able to match it, but I've been thinking: if they had some sort of terminator-esque video against the bot armada, it might lure more action against the front.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Black Noise posted:

Page 420 Sovereign of Audacity Blaze It

He is rizzin

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
Whisper of Truth, for the quiet explosion of Democracy it delivers :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Marshall of the regime here.

Also, why the gently caress do pubbies always call for reinforcents in the middle of a drat squad. It's tiring redeploying into 2 dozen bots.

It seems +/- 50% wether you'll survive that drop. It gets more :smith: when you see a big ol' red flag pole signaling a cluster bomb of despair. BUT the times I've survived have been memorable :xcom: moments (there should be a Helldivers 2 gif sometime soon)

Away all Goats posted:

Stun grenades are a little too good. The stun lasts forever and the area is big enough you can easily catch an entire bot drop(sometimes two) in a single grenade.

And you're complaining about this??

Molrok posted:

The only question is, how do we arm the remaining eleven?

Bear-arms Warbond when

Amazing Member fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 31, 2024