Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Gave the Laser Cannon a try and it seems pretty bad aside from not needing ammo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

mrmcd posted:

I'm starting to think the real mvp stratagem of this game is "running the gently caress away" but drat it is hard to get most players to understand that.

Was in a game last night with a couple dunces who kept getting into unnecessary fights with the robots(and they were bad at fighting them too) so by the time we were extracting we ran out of reinforcements from the sheer number of robots we had to fight and barely extracted

They really need to nerf those chainsaw bots, they are way too chunky for how common they are(doesn't help that bots have kind of wonky hit boxes in general)

Phenotype posted:

so I was thinkin about yknow, the lore as shown by the environment and enemies and stuff... The automatons are probably not just killbots, huh? It strikes me as significant that their big hitters tend to be the same T-600 skeletons as their ground troops, just stuffed into a suit of armor or riding the back of an AT-ST.

I mean, they're robots, right? They could just make an AT-ST with a robot brain inside if they wanted, with no unarmored dink on the back to get shot. And since they don't, there's likely some sort of civilization there, right? Like, they're not just "robots", it's a race of people who look like T-600s, and they're just reproducing more of themselves and building tanks and armor for themselves to use, rather than building different, more powerful robots.

And if it's a true civilization with real intelligence and culture, it's even more of a threat to Super Earth, and every last trace of them must be extinguished.

They're the offspring of the Cyborgs from the first game, their primary goal is to liberate their creators who Super Earth are using as slave labor

Retro42 posted:

Something about turrets in this game that just makes me happy. Thematically it's perfect that they just don't give a gently caress what's between them and their target and will happily tear any helldiver apart to kill things for Democracy.

Shame they'll waste a bunch of their limited ammo targeting drop ships they can't meaningfully damage(and shooting down drop ships rarely has any meaningful effect anyways)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

They need to rework or just plain get rid of the various fog and dust cloud effects that can be a level condition, they are not fun to deal with at all

Also really dumb that the timer based reinforcements you have once you run out of regular ones will only bring back a single Helldiver instead of everyone who's dead, that or at least reduce the cool down to something more reasonable

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

skaianDestiny posted:

Nah, if you run through all 20 reserve reinforcements before a mission's over then you need to reevaluate something. The timer is just there if you manage to clutch something out, not give you a pat on the back for loving up.

The problem is it's the bad kind of punishing, where the price the player pays is being made to sit around doing nothing till both the reinforcement cool down ends and hopefully they get chosen to respawn if multiple people are dead, which just leads to people quitting once they realize this

Like I'd honestly much rather just get an immediate mission failed on running out of reinforcements instead

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

The fog/dust is treacherous and I love it. it's moody as hell and actually affects the gameplay which is exactly what i want to see from environmental modifiers.

To a degree I agree but there's a point where it is just too much, at the very least it should impact the enemy's ability to see and detect you just as much as it does you

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Admittedly might be because it was a bug mission and not really helped by it being my first proper Challenging mission, so we kept stumbling into a bunch of Chargers

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

CainFortea posted:

Autocannon blows through those hive guardian's armor and brood commanders like a hot knife through butter? Are you shooting at their feet or something for splash damage?

He probably means Chargers which are indeed way too chunky for how common they can be once you hit 4 or higher

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Someone upthread said tanks were the equivalent of chargers which could not be right because I think the most tanks I've ever seen at once is two. Two tanks. I've been tackled by no less than five chargers before.

Yeah I think they're more equivalent to Hulks, who are also kind of ridiculous but at least they have a much more exploitable weak spot

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Vargs posted:

Once I get all the super samples required for ship upgrades I'll probably stick to 6. Maybe 7. It's just more fun to play. You can bring a larger variety of equipment without griefing your team, and the game doesn't devolve into Benny Hilling it with 3 Titans, 5 Stalkers, and the entire Chargers football team in tow anytime you encounter a single bug.

Helldivers 2: the entire Chargers football team

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So the EAT, the Recoil-Less Rifle, and the Spear are the player carried strategems that can penetrate Heavy Armor, and the Autocannon Sentry and Rocket Sentry can as well, which of the Orbital and EAGLE stratagems can do so as well?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly why I'm probably going to mostly stick with the 4-5 difficulty range, feels like the sweet spot of enabling horde clearing shenanigans while still having some challenging enemies so it's not a complete cakewalk

I could see that changing up depending on future additions to our arsenal(especially once vehicles and mechs get added) or if I find a group to more consistently play with

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mortar Turrets are for either when you want to keep enemies away from where you are or for when you're trying to get away from a bad situation

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

With the EAT I think the best way to bump it up would be to reduce its cool down, like sure it currently already has one of the shortest cooldowns in the game but it still feels a bit too long for what you get out of it

Also two ideas for new Stratagems I just had;

1) just an empty Hellpod and all the killing potential a Hellpod ramming down on something can cause, would have both a very short time between activation and being fired down(comparable to an Eagle stratagem compared to most Orbitals), and also an extremely short cooldown since it's just an empty pod(like 45 seconds at base)

2) a Hellpod that upon landing sprays out a random amount(anywhere from 15 to 50) of the user's equipped grenade in a radius around it, also has a fairly short cooldown

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Anyone else getting a lot of crashes all of a sudden, seems like the main cause on my end at least is that they happen right after someone joins the current game I'm in and deploy

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Updated my video drivers and restarted my computer and that seems to have solved the crashing for the moment

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

They really need to tone down bots, pretty much always feels like the difficulty level is like 3 levels higher than a bug mission of the same level would be and not in a particularly fun way either

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The bases are less the issue and more that bots just have way more patrols(and way more attentive ones) than bugs(or at least it seems that way) so it feels like it's just a bit too easy to get into a failure spiral with bots

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Discovered the joys of the 500kg Bomb today, few things that make you get a Freedom Boner more than watching a Charger just get instantly pasted into a delicious bug gumbo by a gigantic fireball of Managed Democracy

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Infinitum posted:

Grenade Launcher + Ammo Backpack fun as gently caress.
Just exploding packs of bug nerds nonstop :gritin:

I have learnt that the Mortar Sentry can and will launch mortars directly next to team mates if an enemy is next to them... sorry rando pubbies :sweatdrop:

Mortar Sentry is great but you have to be a lot more careful of when to use it than probably any other Sentry, there are two ideal situations(in terms of minimizing friendly fire) for using it;

1) when you're holding an area for an extended period of time and need to keep enemies away(this is probably where the Mortar shines brightest due to it having probably the widest area of coverage of any offensive Stratagem as well as a lot of ammo*)

2) when you're trying to get away from a bad situation and need something to thin out your pursuers and/or be a distraction**

*like I don't think I've ever seen a Mortar Sentry run out of ammo before its Stratagem cool down runs out(and thus it deactivates) first, like it's probably the single most efficient Stratagem in the game because of that

**which is honestly probably the best use case for any of the offensive Sentries aside from probably the Rocket Sentry

MissMarple posted:

I assume they'll drop a Mech (possibly + other vehicles) Warbond for 1,000 SC with associated Boosts/Armor/Emote of your character doing the Rollin' dance.
Something to sink Medals and Super Creds into basically.
We haven't seen Strategms show up in Warbonds yet, but i'm sure they support it.

Pretty sure they've said they don't currently plan on ever locking Stratagems behind Warbonds, which makes sense as that would probably reek a little too much of "Pay to Win" compared to what's currently in them

Night10194 posted:

While the 380mm is an insane roulette that is absolutely not worth taking, when I tested it out I got to see a 15 inch orbital shell nail a Charger dead on such that he did a full three flips before landing, so I consider the requisition well spent even if I never use that thing again.

I assume we'll probably be seeing a lot of buffing to the Orbitals in the future considering how most of them fall way short compared to Eagles in most respects

johnny park posted:

My friend and I agreed that the 380 would be worth taking if it turned into a limited-use stratagem like the laser, but absolutely pummeled its designated area. Like I'd happily take a one-use version of it that guaranteed total saturation of its AoE.

Alternatively, leave it as is but make the very first shot land exactly on the beacon like a precision strike so you can at least hit SOMETHING reliably.

I love it for the spectacle and bring it even with the loosest justification but it really is just so random with its success

I do agree that for Stratagems that don't automatically track a target that their first shot(assuming multiple shots) should be zeroed in within a meter or two at most from where the Beacon lands

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

There's also the issue that most of the Orbitals have sizable cooldowns compared to Eagles not only having multiple uses by default(except for the 500kg Bomb but even that can be upgraded to have two uses) but also rearming the EAGLE is a rather brisk two and a half minutes(only two with a hanger upgrade)

Basically they should probably chop the cooldowns for most Orbitals in half from their current defaults

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I think fire is supposed to slow enemies down but probably doesn't work as well for that as it should

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Make chargers be permanently lit if they get hit by fire

Fire is already not the worst way to deal with Chargers(apparently only takes about half a flamethrower tank to kill one) since Fire ignores armor but yeah making them extra weak to it would be a good way to help them feel more balanced as enemies

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

sushibandit posted:

Every mission debuff needs to force-spawn a tertiary objective after the mission starts (so you can't land on top of it) which when you liberate with extreme prejudice clears the debuff. Instead of just being "gently caress you" turn it into a more forgiving "gently caress you if you're too lazy to run across the map".

Agreed, also scrambler rather than always being on should just be a random chance of it happening

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Fajita Queen posted:

500kg has way too small of an actual effect radius. I really hope it gets a buff.

Airstrike is better in most situations AND you get one more of them.

I wouldn't be surprised if something about its AOE is bugged, but since it's an Eagle and comes in pretty fast it isn't too hard to line things up so that your primary target will be right in the center of the boom(since pretty much any target you'd use it on is either stationary or fairly slow), basically treat it more as a precision tool than the big boom would make you think it should be used as

Also random aside, since Arrowhead were the guys who made the original Magicka they really should stick in an armor and helmet set that's basically just a wizard robe and wizard hat

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Worf posted:

yea it definitely reminds me of ME3 online as well

which is great because a few weeks ago i was remembering how much fun i had in that game and that i missed playing it

Worth mentioning the online is still up for that game last I checked

Turin Turambar posted:

The game is going backwards, somehow. Today I had two crashes, and it never did it before for me. And of course, I lost the progression I got for the 'daily quests'.

Might just need to restart your computer, a while ago I was having some crashes that went away after I restarted my computer

Amazing Member posted:

I gotta stan the impact grenades on this one, hands down the 1 hit kill for spewers is too vital for me, but I'm a dirty arc wielder so take that with a grain of salt.

Edit: what blows my mind about this game is how totally fleshed out and different the faction encounters are. How I deal with bugs is so far removed from bots, and the illuminaties aren't even in yet.

I gotta wonder though, there's an AWFULLY lot of empty space on the map... even for 3 factions to fight over. Makes me wonder if there's a whole bunch cooking they haven't talked about yet factions wise

Wouldn't be surprised if we end up with four or even five factions to fight, one of which should be a rebelling group of Super Earth colonies because it would be a shame if we didn't have a primarily human enemy faction to blow up

Alkydere posted:

A bug with no head still attacking you? Cool, distributed nervous system and it's still in full fight-flight mode before it bleeds out.

A bug with no head doing a bug breach dance? Yeah, kinda bullshit.

A bug with no left legs still approaching me as if it still was just fine? I'm gonna suspect there might have been a bit of desync involved but that was weird to watch one side just levitate.

How about a bug corpse stretched off into the horizon like some sort of Lovecraftian Laffy Taffy?

Because I've seen that happen at least half a dozen times by now

Nanomashoes posted:

the helldivers armor has skulls on them

skulls

Hence my suggestion of it being rebelling Super Earth colonies, they've kept the Managed part of the equation but there's no Democracy left in their foul Space Nazi hearts

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Benagain posted:

No seriously, we're the Nazis. We're the big bad evil invading three other factions, they're not gonna fight each other they're gonna team up against us. As for rebel humans being evil, what exactly do you think those evil broadcast towers we've been bombing are broadcasting?

Probably something like "hey turns out if you don't enslave shoot or bomb them they don't care"

yeah we're in fact Space Nazis but these guys would be Super Space Nazis, they've dropped all veneers of Democracy from Managed Democracy

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

raverrn posted:

Things I've noticed:

Slugger up to 60 rnds.
Slugger & Punisher 30 rnds per environmental ammo box & 60 per supply calldown. (up from 12/24!)
(No one use the Slugger I don't want them to nerf it. It's so loving good.)
Spear picks up 1 missile per environmental ammo box (used to be 0!!!).
End screen sped up considerably.

If that applies to other Backpack Ammo weapons like the Autocannon and RR as well then that is a pretty good stealth buff for them

Nuebot posted:

It will never not be insane to me how chargers take so much effort to take down and come at you in swarms of like five once you reach difficulty six or so. In most cases you don't want to shoot the big green weakpoint looking thing because that takes reduced damage from most sources, instead you want to blow a leg apart and then switch to your primary and shoot the soft vulnerable leg now. Meanwhile, when dealing with automatons, you have hulks. You shoot it in the back or the face, that's it. It takes like two autocannon shots to down one and they don't even have any of that blowing off a leg to actually hurt them horseshit, nor do they come at you in as many sheer numbers.

Agreed, even if hitboxes on some of the Automaton enemies(especially Berserkers) really feel like they need fixing

Insert name here posted:

Having to bring dedicated AT weaponry to deal with armoured targets has been a core conceit since Helldivers 1 lol. My own take on this is that I think the dedicated AT weapons should be buffed to one-shot a charger to the face like the first game, because I personally find the method of "leg shot -> primary weapon DPS" to be very unsatisfying when instead I could be blasting heads off with HEAT rounds.

Agreed, or at the very least along side the big armor hole* it should also take enough health damage that a second hit with a big gun will guarantee a kill

*which annoyingly hitting a Charger with something anti-armor in nature only seems to actually work like maybe half the time, lord knows how many times I've seen a Charger get hit with multiple EAT's or a direct hit with a Stratagem and not taken any armor damage

Elendil004 posted:

For the cooldown, only carrying 1 at a time, etc. the EAT really should oneshot anything it hits directly.

Agreed, well maybe not for the absolute highest tier enemies but definitely for Chargers

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

LuiCypher posted:

Yyyyyyyyyep, the bots have been moving slowly but inexorably towards there. They do sure like to take planets one at a time while nobody's looking...

It does do damage over time. The damage ignores armor. It is only worth it to run near a Titan to light it up with a flamethrower if you intend to kill the Bile Titan when you drop in as a reinforcement.

Edit: I am being sarcastic, but landing on a Bile Titan with your drop pod is actually not the worst strategy if you have the reinforcements for it! It is, after all, an orbital calldown that has no cooldown timer. I may have killed multiple Bile Titans this way yesterday on a bug defense map.

There's a reason I want them to add a stratagem that's just chucking an empty Hellpod at poo poo

Ciaphas posted:

thinking about it, what the game really needs is two emote buttons so I can get hugs AND salute the ICBM launch on the same mission

meanwhile my goal is to get a hug with the ICBM detonation in the background :3:

I like doing the "waiting for hug" pose while facing the ICBM fireball, makes for a decent discount "Praise The Sun" pose

Also there should be a random chance to just get as a stratagem in a mission(like the Hellbomb one*) one that marks the location for an ICBM strike so we can have a more up close view of the temporary new sun we make

*honestly I kind of wish you could take Hellbomb as a regular Stratagem as well, that or be able to move the random dud ones you find across maps with you

explosivo posted:

taking up a backpack slot is a pretty hefty tradeoff and it takes ages to reload, I think it's pretty fair the way it is tbh.

Only takes forever if you have to reload it from empty, if you keep an eye on your ammo count and only have to reload a single clip at a time then it's fairly short

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Running 3 or even 4 eagle strategems is secretly really powerful. Who needs a railgun?

Going 3 Eagles is great but I definitely think not leaving the fourth slot for a Support Weapon is too risky

Astrochicken posted:

The discord was in a state earlier. Mods had to enable slowdown mode because too many people were lashing out in chat. And so for a while everybody was sending single message multiparagraph screeds. They'd scroll up unread in seconds.

Ironically the current slow mode restrictions(2 minutes between posts) are a lot less brutal than they were just a couple days ago(5 minutes)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Laser Cannon is now decent against bugs(it'll actually do respectably against Chargers if you shoot them in the butt) but where it really shines is against the bots, it just wrecks Berserkers and Devastators

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mode 7 posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: HELLDIVERS 2 THREAD GANG TAGS :siren: :siren: :siren:

If you want this gangtag:

1) Quote this post within the next 24 hours or so, cutoff time will be 14/03/24 9am UTC (you can of course buy the gang tag for yourself at any point, this is just for the freebies)

2) If you already have the max amount of gang tags (3) please tell me which one to remove to make room in your quote post.

Hell yeah

Darox posted:

The game should let you pick Hellbombs as a regular stratagem. I got a 50x spree detonating one in a bot dropship base, let me do that for any heavy outpost I can sneak into.

Call it in.

Agreed, also is it just me or are the Bots somehow even meaner than they were before this last patch cause Sweet Liberty were the couple of Bot missions I did tonight were rough

Though honestly the main thing that impedes me being able to enjoy fighting Bots is 1) the bugged out spawns and detecting they've had for a bit now(since it completely fucks up the pacing of Bot missions since they're at full speed the entire mission) and 2) Berserkers are just plain overtuned thanks to their ridiculous health pools, doesn't even make them interesting to fight just incredibly tedious(especially since I have yet to find a weapon that works well against them consistently, even weapons like the Autocannon I often have to blow an entire clip on killing even a single one and it's rare to encounter less than 3 to 5 of them at a given moment)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Infidelicious posted:

For Berserkers you want Raw DPS or a staggering effect so Breaker / Slugger are stand outs - especially if you're running an AC since it can cover mid/long range pretty well. If it's a big pack of them it's worth tossing impacts into the middle of them just to make it easier to gun them down.

Breaker is good against them but terrible against basically any other Bot enemy due to its close range nature, don't have the Slugger yet though due to how deep in the Warbond it is

raverrn posted:

For all the medium bots the lower torso is unarmored for extra damage, and the legs and head are lightly armored and destroying any of them is a kill. The legs have more HP than the head, but are easier targets.

True though not very helpful specifically with Berserkers cause on top of having stupid amounts of health it's a pain in the rear end to hit weakspots on them between their weird jittery movement and honestly I'm like 95% certain their hitboxes are bugged

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

OGS-Remix posted:

They really should give a laser designator to the spear backpack. That would be much more consistent then trying to lock on yourself and encourage team play.

In BF4 using the SOFLAM and just annihilating enemy vehicles from just out of their spawn was hilarious.

On the topic of a laser designator, have had an idea for one as a secondary weapon;

The Beacon of Liberty: by default works like the new laser pistol, has slightly higher damage but overheats faster too, what makes it special is if you input a a Stratagem while having it as the active weapon instead of pulling out a Stratagem ball the Beacon switches into target designator mode where the laser now will target the Stratagem where it points to, whenever used this way once the Stratagem goes off the current heat sink will overheat and have to be reloaded

So yeah a very powerful tool but due to how limited reserve clips are for Secondary weapons I think it would be reasonably balanced

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Amazing Member posted:

The caveat being it's a primary and not a support weapon so it's always available as either a backup to your support weapon or your go to.

I like it against bots; one shots grunts and stagger-slides berserkers. It does take llike 4-7 shots but you never reload or run out of ammo so it kinda works.

-

Has anyone else tried running without a support weapon and just using what you find in the field?

Had a blitz run with only 3 slots so decide to do an eagle run, found an MG with no extra mags from the one it had and it was just so fun using it in place of whatever. This game

I've found not taking a Support Weapon to be more frustrating than having an extra slot free for other Stratagems to be worth it, as it tends towards with Bots to make dealing with the plethora of medium tier enemies they have an absolute pain, and with Bugs it can result in escalation problems as you're either lacking in a fast horde clear option and/or are unable to meaningfully deal with Chargers and Bile Titans(and even Brood Commanders can become a problem if you're out of grenades or waiting out cooldowns for one of your other Stratagems), not to mention you paradoxically become arguably more ammo/supply hungry not having a Support Weapon than with since you'll be burning through your regular ammo and grenade supplies more and it also means a higher risk of injury or death since you'll be killing enemies more slowly

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

If the arcing works anything like the Arc Thrower than you want to aim a bit higher than you would think you would need to, that reduces(if not completely eliminates) the arc hitting random bits of terrain or corpses

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I do think in retrospect they probably should have started us off much closer to Super Earth, like maybe only one or two map segments besides Super Earth's own in its control with the entirety of the rest of the galaxy in either Automaton or Terminid control rather than the situation that we did have at launch where the bugs had just six sectors and the bots only a single sector and both only had two worlds each accessible

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Lore fiends: someone in my discord asked a question I find myself unable to answer.

When we call reinforcements, is the new Helldiver supposed to be a different person or the same one that just died, perhaps cloned or something?

I'm sure this must have been addressed in the lore somewhere right?

Officially it's supposed to be a new person each time(hence why the default voice option is set to random), but its kept vague enough in terms of direct in game acknowledgement that one can choose to headcanon the clone approach(and it wouldn't surprise me one iota if Super Earth has dabbled in cloning anyways) which kind of makes more sense with the game's personalization options anyways

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Have we ever won a single planet defense? Anytime I see one, we're always eating poo poo for reasons that remain loving enigmatic to me.

It's because Planetary Defense missions are terrible so people don't bother, honestly they should probably just drop that aspect and only have planets be a binary state of either being occupied or liberated

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly with both Laser and Mech they should just drop the limited uses aspect entirely, especially considering the incredibly long timers they have attached to them anyways, like I'd love to be able to take the Mech on missions but it's so limited in nature that it just feels like a waste of a slot(maybe if there was a way to refill the ammo on it or something)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Still feels like there's no consistently good way of dealing with Berserkers, like even Impact Grenades are at best a 50/50 shot at taking them out in a single hit

Mind you I don't think Berserkers are actually all that much of a threat in and of themselves, indeed if they didn't have such massive health pools they'd honestly be probably the easiest Bot enemy in the game to deal with since they're the only one without a ranged attack, it's mostly a matter of how tedious it is dealing with more than one or two of them at a time