Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

One thing I feel is a little weird is not being able to spawn with any support weapons, even the smaller ones like the machine guns, especially when support weapons are the only way you can ever kill certain enemy types outside of landing a stratagem on them.

So you can end up in situations where the team keeps dying and losing the only way to fight back and dies again.

It would be fine if primaries could do meaningful damage to the glowing weakspots though.

They really need to revamp some of the weapon balance, i assume that will come once the servers stop burning down. The breaker should not be the be all end all mid to close range gun that is. With better damage, penetration, and weak spot bonuses the DMR and other guns could be fun and good to use.

What I also think is the stalwart should be a main weapon, not a calldown that takes up that slot. both MGs suffer from just not being worth a stratagem slot on harder difficulties, and as a result trash clearing is mostly accomplished via other methods.

Speaking of, my buddies and I finally got the group to Hard and its a lot of fun, kinda sucks the best samples are locked behind level 7 difficulty and not level 6, not certain everyone that plays will be able to manage that high of difficulty. I've been ahead of the curve with my group but it seems like hard is the real big jump in difficulty where you can learn how to handle the massive enemies and deal with stuff like stalker nests and mortars being spawned in the areas near objectives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

So i have a decent handle on patrols and alarms, but how exactly do they work?

For automatons i think it is always the low level troopers that do it, and you can see them raise their arm and fire the flare. Is it only the rifle armed troopers or is it also the sword and rocket guys?

For bugs I'm not sure which ones actually can summon a breach. I know its not just the tiniest bugs but is it everything not a charger or bile spitter?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Diephoon posted:

For autos: There is a specific basic looking bot that only has one sword arm, they hold a pistol with the other arm. These shoot flares that summon drop ships.

For bugs: The smallest bugs usually summon, but I'm pretty sure I've seen Defenders do it too. Defenders are the frontal armored ones that will turtle up when you start shooting them. Brood Commanders (the huge non-charger bugs) can summon as well. Not sure about the rest of the bugs.

I'm pretty sure i've seen non-commissar bots do it. But honestly I'm not entirely certain

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

in general the bug ones are much more irritating since at least with automatons you can see the dropship come in and just light it up with stratagems. for bugs, the persistent spawning draws it out and really increases the chances of another alert happening which turns the whole thing into a mess.

As far as i can tell the best practice for any bug patrol you can't avoid is using cluster bombs or other AOE trash clearing stuff to just reduce the number of potential bugs that can alert

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Can the breach summon even be stopped? I feel like, by the time I see the orange funk start rising, shooting the bug in question is useless as the breach is already forming.

if it can be, it needs to be the exact moment they start spraying. there is little to no delay unlike the robots where you can see the guys hand up for a second or two can have time to shoot them.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

the mg's are fun as hell but yeah they're going to need armor pen to make them viable at higher difficulties

Make the big MG do armor pen, and make the stalwart a regular gun but reduce its ammo or whatever to put it more in line with others.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Lol it's the worst the servers have been yet

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I mean I'll defend them a lot but it is rather incompetent to be this bad at guessing how many people will play the game

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Market research exists

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Maybe don't announce a patch if you broke the game more than before lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I Greyhound posted:

Helldivers 1 never exceeded 7k players simultaneously. Their estimates were 7k for 'baseline 'we did good' success', 50k for 'crazy good performance of game exceeds our expectations', and 250k for 'won the Powerball game goes viral but that will never happen haha...unless...'. They did actually code a system that could handle 250k. But then had it go super-mega-hit with 4 times the craziest estimate hammering the servers 2 weeks after launch.

The patch they put in today is working out, I had all black screens yesterday, but got in twice this evening for my first few games. Started solo, but then had some fellow patriots drop in, and it was a really fun experience.

this is insane, HD1 was a top down twin stick shooter, not a major release squad shooter, they never should have expected it to only barely exceed HD1

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Hope this helps your confusion.

Yes I'm aware it still went well beyond that thanks so much for this

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Exodee posted:

The orbital walking barrage works the same way as the strafing run doesn't it? I wonder how effective it is with the various upgrades to the destroyer's cannons, though that's got to wait until I finish my hangar upgrades.

Yes.

Strafing run is parallel to the angle of the throw.

Cluster bomb/airstrike/napalm is perpendicular to the throw.

Walking barrage is the same as strafing run but harder to predict due to spread of each salvo.

All of the barrages not the gatling kinda suck rear end right now. The spread is too wide and in general it rarely does much true damage unless you get lucky. If they either tighten the spread or add some more targeting of enemies they would be fun and good. As it is about the only use is to huck them into an outpost, but a 500kg bomb does that same job much better

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I fee like Eagle bomb strikes usually goes perpendicular to my facing when I throw it. At least for the cluster bombs splashes.

Eg: if I throw it North of me, the bombs hit a west/east spread

this correct. once you get the hang of it, they are very predictable

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

People are talking about how every weapon needs to be brought up to the Breaker, but honestly a lot of weapons needs to be brought up to the Liberator because a good chunk of them don't even make it that far. Would be nice if we had some actual variety instead of "best choice", "ok if you want to use it I guess" and "don't bother, immediately feels awful to use".

It's insanely boring that every mission over lvl 5 is Breaker -> Shield -> Railgun -> Orbital Laser. That sort of monotonous meta is poison to me personally.

I can't speak to 7 and up, but at 5-6 things like the 500kg bomb, the orbital rail cannon, the cluster bombs, and the good old eagle airstrike are still very useful. As well as the grenade launcher, the auto cannon, and the various turrets.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Durzel posted:

You could make an argument that playing at level 5 or 6 in a game with 9 difficulty levels, when you're under 50% of the level cap, is fighting whilst underlevelled?

Autocannon is very good imo and in some ways better than the Railgun. Granted the latter is more useful at higher difficulty levels because you get that precious backpack slot back, but in terms of raw firepower it owns bones - especially if you have someone to help you load.

It can also close bug holes from a long way out, and if paired with teammates with grenade launchers, railguns, or rockets it also can contribute to murdering chargers.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Tom Tucker posted:

Best tip I've gotten so far has been "Remember: Freedom!"

this game needs a "rock and stone" button badly

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Waroduce posted:

What is the endgame loop of Helldivers? Are there like raids or under leveled time trials or right now it's just do the missions on the hardest difficulty

there will be a third faction 100%. they are keeping very close to helldivers 1 and when we get to alien homeworlds, or they push all the way to super earth, there will be unique objective types.

but yes, the ultimate endgame loop is having fun with your friends doing the hardest difficulty missions you can manage.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Phenotype posted:

For the first fifteen hours or so, here's what you'll generally want to get:

You get enough req to play around with different stuff, so sure, if it looks interesting try out the recoilless rifle or whatever, but if it doesn't click for you that's fine too.

The biggest thing is don't waste reqs on the 120 and 380mm orbital strikes, and don't waste medals on guns until you have the defender and breaker. Otherwise do what looks fun.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

lol that my friends and i on psn were able to get in the game after over an hour of waiting and then can't join each other, amazing.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

i mean if you like just watching explosions happen that don't kill any bad guys do you, the rest of us can take the ones that have huge explosions and also kill bad guys

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I think armor pen needs to be upped for everything except chargers, tanks, hulks, etc. heavy armor should not be easily defeated and the fact that just shooting a tank with small arms does nothing is great. Like a Barret .50 does not do poo poo against a real tank and the AMR should not do anything to the tank in this. the laser cannon absolutely should do damage to heavy armor

The DMR, AMR, etc should all do way more to light/medium armor. Like it the AMR should shred devastators and the DMR should stagger and then drop them in successive shots. Though I think once the breaker is tuned down so that it is not a loving mid range solution the other guns will see more action, especially with buffs.

jokes posted:

I kinda wish there were lots of different single-fire laser weapons like a 40k lasgun because channelled laser guns are the lamest thing to me.

the scythe in HD1 was loving amazing and not needing ammo meant it was a huge part of endgame builds. I'm really hoping it gets buffed

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 23, 2024

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

I just hope arrowhead sits down and looks at the weapons that aren't getting used and gives them appropriate buffs that might suite someones playstyle so it becomes more of a personal preference thing than a good/bad thing.

this is mostly how they handled HD1 with some exceptions.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

extremely good player name there

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

desperately trying to finish level 6 difficulty and twice now it has crashed during extract with 1 mission to complete out of the 3 this is loving infuriating i have wasted like 2.5 hours straight

so yeah next team i join i aint doing poo poo during extract since both crashes were immediately after tossing a strategem during the countdown

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 25, 2024

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

scrambled strats sucks because the failure rate is so high, if anything the funnier option is lowering the incidence rate which will lead to people forgetting about it and continuing to call in airstrikes on their own position

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Once the mission timer becomes red it becomes a good idea to think about extracting or at least maybe dropping your samples near extract. Sometimes it seems like it triples spawns and mobs and they are giving you incentive to GTFO

in general this is why im one of the people that wants to beeline for the extract when the objectives are done. doing a full clear with my buddies is fun and cool, but i just do not trust randos to not end up getting us into some total shitstorm.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Rockman1811 posted:

Man, I didn't actually know how large the range of the 380mm stratagem until it completely hosed my team during an extraction.

the 380 should have the spread of the 120 and the 120 should have the radius of a hellbomb. as they exist there is literally 0 reason to ever take them on any difficulty. the walking barrage is decent since at least it moves away from the team and you can use it in various ways. Even it should be tighter

eagle cluster loving rules and is a great oh poo poo button during bug breaches, and to wipe out most of a bot drop. it even does damage to heavies but is obviously not a solution when the heavy is by itself.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

jokes posted:

No poo poo? I wonder which one it was. I don't think the napalm airstrike can destroy factories/holes, but maybe the strafing run can?

cluster can sometimes cause a structure to be destroyed. i'm not sure if it detonates the red barrels lying around or if one cluster bomb can act as an impact grenade on the front door of a factory. I imagine a gatling barrage might be able to close a bug hole with a direct hit.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

what is the best method to get super uranium? my friend group is not as frothing at the mouth for more helldivers the way i am so im doing higher level stuff with randos.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

The answer is always to buff other weapons so we all have more toys to play with I do not understand being against that in a pve game about blowing poo poo up

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

flashman posted:

Because challenge is good

how would being able to choose either the AC, Railgun, Flamethrower, nade launcher, or AC rifle on higher difficulties negate the challenge? Why does only 1 weapon need to be the best in order for there to be challenge? that is nonsensical.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

dog nougat posted:

What the hell is going on in this thread? Some real fuckin wild and dumb opinions. Game needs a balance pass for sure, but acting like the railgun, breaker, and shield are the only way to play the game is insane.

they are clearly the best, but all you have to do is buff other weapons and then they won't be the best anymore and everyone can have more fun with more guns

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

What kind of firepower do you need to explode an automaton factory without having to run up and chuck a grenade into it? I know some orbital/airstrike stratagems can do it, but I haven't yet found one that will scratch 'em.

Being able to pop one of those things from a safe distance would be neat.

Early on the starter orbital precision strike and the eagle airstrike will do it. Gotta land the precision strike very close to it, hucking it directly at the factory often has it bounce far enough away to not kill it. Eagle airstrike can have the same problem but it has a wider AOE and more reliably does the job.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I’m glad they lock out higher difficulties until you complete a campaign. Keeps those easy mission grinding mouth breathers out.

Not much, I still see plenty of lvl 4-5 people in like level 7 missions that must have been carried by a friend

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

the openly time i get frustrated is when its repeated instances of someone dropping 380mm or whatever danger close. like a fuckup is fine, its part of the fun of the game, but when its like 4 times over and over i'll eventually say something

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Riatsala posted:

I'm level 11 and haven't gotten a good AT support weapon yet. Should I get an autocannon or recoilless rifle first?

Also, how do you feed yourself ammo from your supply backpack? My teammates think I'm very altruistic handing it all to them but I'm really just trying to use the GL as a primary.

AC works better as an all-rounder. RR is great but with the slow reload its tough to use in a protracted fight unless you have a dedicated reloader. AC can be used drat near as a primary weapon.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Dinosaurs! posted:

Does the explosive liberator become useful at higher difficulties? I have enough credits for the premium warbond but nothing in it has really tipped me over the edge from "wait to see what the next one is." The gun looks great and it'd be cool if doing full damage to chargers and spewers made it a good choice, but I feel like you have much better support weapon options by the time you're dealing with heavies in quantities that outpace strategem cooldowns.

right now, not really. everything not the breaker, defender, or liberator just feels anemic and like it lacks oomph.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Scrambler missions suck and my group has already stopped playing them in general. While funny, it's just not a fun challenge to be cycling through your strategems 10 times in a row trying to pull the one you need.

in a fight I just huck my railgun drop at a charger, but in general what it does is makes everyone take forever to do things and just frustrates people.

I think lowering how often it scrambles your poo poo would actually be funnier because people will forget about it and nuke the party even after knowing it's a scrambler mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

man played for almsot 2 hours tonight all on level 7 and could not get a single purple science, gently caress this is a goddamn grind