Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Still keeping my fingers crossed for a collab with FF7R part 2 and we get Tifa in Tekken

Azucena and Reina look great though, plus the bears seem pretty fun with their changes so I'm excited to mess around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

The more people who hope Tifa makes it into T8 the less likely it'll happen. Just so you know.

:negative:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I haven't played the demo, do you still have to BDC/KBD in T7?

I remember hearing someone mention that they'd changed the way it works so it wasn't as important anymore? I haven't played tekken in like 4 years at this point probably so I'm probably gonna have to relearn a lot of muscle memory either way

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Nazzadan posted:

Spamming backdash (bb, bb, bb, bb) is better than it was previously and will cover more ground quicker than it did in 7, but kbding is still faster. So you can kick the can down the road a bit and get by with regular backdashing for longer than you could in previous games, but you should probably still eventually learn to kbd. A bigger thing is when you should kbd compared to regular backdashing, because even at high levels both have their uses.

Oh no I can do it just fine, I just haven't done it for years and am gonna play some this weekend at Frosty's lol. Hopefully the muscle memory comes back a little quicker

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Weasling Weasel posted:

First time I'm jumping in to Tekken. From my limited reading in to it, there isn't a big a difference between Characters as in something like SF6 in terms of achetypes. As someone who is more confident in taking time and waiting to punish and counter rather than rushing down and going on the offence, is there a particular way I should go for my first character. Feeling Leo and Jun's vibes and I think like everyone I think Reina is cool, but she looks like she's going to be the Tekken 8 Ken and also seems a little bit more difficult to start with?

Also I appreciate that the ranking percentiles may be difficult, but in terms of Tekken 7 how difficult is the trophie for ranking up to Vanquisher going to be for a beginner?

tbh she's probably significantly harder than Ken, so I expect her to be popular but not necessarily as omnipresent

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Von Linus posted:

It was a sad day for me when I discovered there was a skill level to Tekken beyond learning how to powerbomb with King, or confusing people long enough to body press them with Jack-2. I realised I would never manage that. OTOH I'll get it anyway because tekken rules.

I mean.. you gotta RDC them sometimes its true :hmmyes:

I don't think I've broken a chain throw other than spamming 1 in my life

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I think I'm most excited for the replay system tbh.

Tekken 7 is actually the game I placed highest in tournaments in, but it was such a chore working through strings that I'd get hit with (combined with the online being kinda a pain sometimes). Having the frame data + replay takeover + suggested punishes will make that process so much easier and more fun

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Tbh if I was launched 10 feet in the air and juggled around I think my back would be pretty sore too

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Sounds awesome, but thin. Should I wait on a sale, or is there something else to dig my teeth into?

If you want to play versus other people and/or learn the game getting a fighting game right away is always a good bet

If you're only getting it for the single player/arcade mode I think it's totally fine to wait for a sale

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Dr. Poz posted:

Probably old news to most here but I just got an all-button arcade controller and WOW is it nice. I'm a lot more consistent with EWGFs and a lot of Kings moves that I was 50/50 on before. I got a Haute42 M Series but I feel like there's gotta be something with better ergonomics that doesn't have a boutique pricing like Hitbox. I just want something with the left hand/directional inputs being a bit more spaced out from the others.

If you're up to putting it together yourself (it's really easy!) You can buy different plates from focus attack for some different layouts. You'll have to transfer all the components to a new case though so it's not perfect

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Been playing Tekken this morning and I started play asuka on a whim, and now I think I just really like playing asuka?? Harada????

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Played a bunch in person yesterday, asuka is very cool and I played against a pretty dang good azucena who made her look even cooler than I thought she'd be. Might just start with them and see where it takes me

In bracket I got washed by someone with a very good Reina, and when I told him and told him his Reina was sick he just looked at me and said "yeah, I know" grabbed his controller and left lmao

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Orv posted:

Embodying Reina in and out of game, powerful

It was so insanely funny, though I'm not sure he meant it that way? I was laughing about it the rest of the day

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

How does the ranked placement thing work? I beat the bot all 3 rounds (though the last round was kinda close because I spent all of it fishing for launchers to get some juggle practice) and got dumped into beginner

Admittedly I'm not super great at Tekken, but idk that I'd really describe myself as a beginner necessarily? Bonus weirdness was my first ranked opponent who could do electrics routinely but otherwise just fished for hellsweeps and used the same 3 strings as kazuya lol

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I should try xiayou, she seems fun

I should also learn how to actually use the heat stuff. I feel like I'm getting 50-65 damage on a launch but I can't help thinking that should be higher if I really understood the systems

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Autsj posted:

50-65 is fine before actually going deep with optimization. If you want to use heat during a combo you can replace your finisher with a heat burst, this will rebound the opponent to give you another hit. Apply a heat engager move and hold forward, this gives you a heat dash with another followup (somewhat depending on the engager). This way you can tack on a bit more damage at the cost of your heat, so a little bit use with care in the balance of "will it kill/do I prefer to keep the heat for pressure later".

:hmmyes: good to know

Tekken scaling has always been a mystery to me. I've tested juggles that add a bunch of extra filler moves but a lot of them have several more hits with way less damage. I guess I should just be looking for whatever string does the most damage immediately while leaving them high enough for the tornado

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

One thing I've found surprisingly useful for learning a new character is just throwing on Special Style and seeing what the game thinks that character's preferred juggle, poke, low and crush are. It's a good way to practice a character's basic plan without committing their inputs to memory. Would be cool if someone could write up a Special Style -> Regular Input mapping at some point.

Also it's just incredibly fun to turn it on while playing DJ and do five frame-perfect electrics by just tapping 2 on and off lol 😈

Can you tell if the simple mode is on for your opponent?

Also, PhiDX is crushing it with tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDUUbuzuelA

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Autsj posted:

Tekken scaling just sets in very aggressively during the first few hits before bottoming out at 30% or so. You can check this in the lab by doing a launcher and hitting jab a few times on the juggled opponent, check the scaling on the detailed display. This means that you want your chunky hits as early as you can, adding smaller hits later in the combo is fine but starting with smaller hits will tank your overall damage.* I've heard doing a heat dash resets the scaling to 50% or something but I haven't actually checked that out.

*Edit: This is often used as a balancing measure too: bigger juggle starters often launch higher, giving you more leeway starting your combos with bigger hits; while some ch launchers (especially the lows) might give you a very small launch, requiring small sub 10 damage moves to pickup with, pushing up the the scaling and reducing the damage potential for the rest of the combo

Ah ok, that makes sense. I guess I'll look for a few higher damage pickups post launcher. I've seen Azucena's on twitter juggling with what looks like a 2,4 string into the tornado afterwards, have to do some playing around in training mode to see I guess! Or maybe see if someone's posted a doc in a discord

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yes, it will show the simple shortcut menu on their side if they have it on.

Jeff Gerstman was talking about playing and seeing the window rapidly come in and out as his opponent was mashing every button lol

Oh, this explains why my first opponent in ranked could do electrics with no issue but had zero gameplan at all lmao

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

:hellyeah: thanks for the link!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Seltzer posted:

The one I use for the record is DF2- D2,3,- 4,- 4,1,2 (run to close distance) f2,1,4. The timing is a bit tricky though, I could explain if anyone needs it.

Do you have to do the D2,3, *4 super tight or something?

I wonder if I need to be closer when I launch or something? They end up being too low to pick up with the 4,1,2 after the *4

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Seltzer posted:

This is what it looks like in practice. SA doesnt allow .gifv embeds so you can click on that. Basically after the d2,3 you have to walk forward just a split second in stance before landing the 4 or the whole thing falls apart (so press and hold forward right after d2,3). It's really finicky timing but once you get it the rest of the combo is easy.

snip

e- Also don't throw out launchers on round start lol. That guy wasnt very good so I was trying a bunch of random stuff.

Ah gotcha, I might stick with the 2 damage less variant just to make sure it's basically impossible to drop but it's good to have the max damage variants as well

And god, playing against the newer players at the bottom ranks I've gotten into such a bad habit of trying to just bait whiffs and launch. I know it's a bad idea when I run into someone else that can play the game but it's just so satisfying :negative:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Tiger Millionaire posted:

I'm loving tekken 8 so far, it's very fun but god drat is learning new matchups exhausting. As someone coming from 2d fighters it's like everyone has like a bunch of rekkas that naturally frametrap and blow you up on counterhit, I need to start playing way slower in these low ranks because I try to press assuming they're not going to finish the string and leave themselves super minus, but no they finish the string every time because it keeps working on me!

There's two types of new players I think. Players who just push every single button, and players who have discovered a "cheap" move and just go to that plus one other as their mixup

I played vs a law last night that actually took a game off me because he just constantly either did the snake edge thing or one of law's mids and while I blocked the snake edge multiple times I kept dropping my punish so the trades weren't in my favor (plus I pushed buttons into counterhit strings occasionally). It was satisfying to double perfect him in the third game though when I actually hit the launch and combo into the wall every time I blocked it! Sadly I was like 4 ranks higher than him at that point so I got like, basically zero points for the win. But the punish was it's own reward

It's actually a pretty funny mix of players in ranked because I'll run into completely new people, and then someone who clearly played a lot of T7 and absolutely destroys me.

I really want to learn a legacy character in T8 though. Since Uni 2 is mega busted still I think I'll just skip any practice there tonight and maybe play some Asuka, Lili and Xiaoyu and see if any of them click for me. It'd be really nice to have a character that I can play between Tekken versions years down the road

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Stelio Kontos posted:

Pretty awful fighting game player here but a huge fan of the FGC in general. I like to play all the big name fighting games so I at least have a basic understanding of them so I’m not completely lost watching Justin Wong on YouTube and everyone at EVO every year. Kinda wishing arcade quest was more like World Tour from sf6 because the mechanics in this game are way harder for me to understand. Is there any guide for someone so used to SF6 to check out to not be absolutely terrible at Tekken 8? I’m doing pretty okay at the low ranks but all the people I’ve faced just throw out the most punishable poo poo imaginable and I know it won’t be like that for long.

Not sure how basic you want to go, but I found this pretty definitive (as a person who's played Tekken before but is also kinda bad at it): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D58LncnVbXM&t=179s

Really PhiDX has just been crushing it with the tutorials in general tho

Been watching stuff today and man, watching some Lili stuff she's so cool, maybe she's the character for me :allears:

Also Diaphone put out a "ease of use" list that seems pretty good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MCxtYuYzs8

sorry for spamming the thread with videos!

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 1, 2024

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

eggrolled posted:

Per that Diaphone ease of use tier list, Landon D calls Lili "demonic in this game" and "maybe top 5."

Even as a Tekken newbie I think I agree with them. Not only have I had the most success on Lili, but I'm getting Perfects against people that are above my exp, skill, and execution level by just doing her 3+4 cartwheel shenanigans. Also just taking matches and rounds (when I just get completely cooked playing on other characters) against the same people.

If my inexperienced rear end can succeed on her I think she's definitely easy to use and strong. My fgc tekken sweat friends say she's good and full of gimmicks too.

Glad to hear my eyes aren't deceiving me. She looks really fun to play too, so I think I'm gonna start picking her up for a bit and see how it feels

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

i keep adding things to my list of 'need to learn this' (the newest thing is what my punish is on blocking lows that aren't minus enough for launchers after, in the final round of the final match, i had to block 3 of victor's dancer's leg bullshit lows because i kept punishing them with 1, nothing) but then i get matches basically instantly and it's way too fun to play.

In my experience WS4 is your fastest crouch punish on virtually every character outside of FC1

When you get into the i12/13 and higher is when you get into character specific stuff usually? Lots of characters seem to have i13 WS1,2 or WS2,1 as an option too

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Oh man Lili is super cool and fun, also I did forget about her cat Salt and having the cat show up in her intro and win screens sometimes? goty

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Seltzer posted:

I kinda do feel bad for newcomers at the moment lol. I started T7 about a year into the game cycle and in ranked everyone was as crappy as me and same with casual. Casual and ranked are filled with people on 0 points who were high level t7 players. That should adjust itself in due time. I get it though, I didnt touch ranked for a week because I wanted to learn a whole new character and and the new system. What I'm getting at is things will level out soon enough.

It's genuinely funny because I'll go from fighting someone that can't move and I can just run mindless offense on/launch to someone like the Bryan who low parried my second low game 1 into a full combo and absolutely demolished me. I don't think he'd lost a game yet

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

I actually kinda enjoy going up against undercover Tekken God Primes because you get a fun preview of what a character can really do

:same:

It's a really useful test of "hey does this actually work?" which, in my case at least has resulted in mostly "oops no, now I'm dead" but ya gotta learn somehow!

Speaking of learning, is there a way to just take control of a replay? The tips functions is great, but it's shown me once or twice that a string is duckable but not let me actually take control of the replay to practice ducking it. Also I've seen a few strings that are -10 that I'd like to try and build muscle memory for punishing, but it never seems to give me the chance and as far as I can tell there's no "give me control of the replay" button?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

DeadButDelicious posted:

I play on the PS5 version so don't know what the PC input is but during a replay and tips I can click in the left or right stick to control P1/P2 respectively.

Ah ok. I do have the RS and LS buttons on my arcade stick so I'll try booting that up and see if it works? On PC though so the buttons are probably totally different

Looking at the bottom of the screen/pause menu it just didn't seem to say anything but I figured there must be a way. Thanks!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

eggrolled posted:

So I'm trying to learn Lili (and the game in general), and aside from a combo or two, I want to learn good moves to use. Since Lili is in 7 there are ton of older resources out there in addition to new ones. With the way Tekken builds upon its previous releases, is some of this 7 stuff still relevant?

For example, I found a video that details 15 of Lili's moves as a "starter toolkit" to memorize and start implementing. This seems like a really good start but I have no idea how to tell if it's still relevant.

The video in question:
https://youtu.be/1NAx04ecqBY

The movelist it provided:
1. d/f+3
2. qcf+3+4
3. d+3
4. ff+4
5. df+1
6. 1,2
7. f+4
8. qcf+1,2
9. 3,1
10. df+3+4
11. BT1+2
12. f+3
13. 2,4
14. f+2,3
15. Matterhorn (d+3+4)

I would definitely appreciate some input whether this is still potentially a good starting point or not. I am on the Lili discord, and have some more spreadsheets (like the T8 Library cheatsheet doc), but they're a little intimidating and I'm still learning to properly decipher some of them.

Not experienced enough at her to really say since I'm only just starting to learn her as well, but can you link the docs? I've got a link to the cheatsheet one which is great, but more info is pretty much always better

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Thank you! :cheers:

Lots of good info here, appreciate it, edit: though dumb question: is the 4.0 guide actually for T8?

I mostly ask because they talk about S! which is screw attack, and Rage Drives which are both T7 systems

Double edit: actually yeah, there's good info for the legacy stuff here for sure, but a decent chunk of it is T7 info and I believe Lili received some pretty substantial buffs in T8. Great for a starting point at minimum though! For example, the Lili doc specifically refers to 2D characters lol. Eyeballing it though, it seems like most of the stuff still totally applies from what I've seen in the T8 docs/vids I've seen?

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 2, 2024

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

So if I understand the heat system correctly, if I want to blow my resources in a max damage combo it basically goes:

Launcher of some form->Filler high damage moves->string that gives a T!->Activate Heat for the bound or whatever it's called->Heat Engager string + hold forward->Ender or rage art? If I'm using the ender, then ideally we get a wall splat and some damage on the wall as well

So for Lili a really basic example using the spreadsheet:

D/F+2 > D/F+2~B > BT3,4 > b1,4 T! > Dash up activate Heat > Something like 3,1~F > f,f+3~f+1,4

I really should probably sit down and go through the tutorial mode at some point..

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 2, 2024

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Autsj posted:

I don't know Lili really so can't advice you there but the core idea is pretty much that. Mind that "bound" is just the old term for the Tornado state and since a heat burst doesn't use up the "Tornado state" calling it a "bound" is just a bit of unofficial shorthand that I used earlier this thread. I don't think the tutorial will teach you much more beyond this, you seem pretty much at the point to just experiment yourself and see how other people do it and compare/combine/copy.

Speaking very generally: sideroll off of the ground, then step-guard out from your predicament (step, b, step, b, step, b). Or until you step/block an attack of your opponent that lets you jab pressure or punish your way out. Some throws can also be used at this point if they switch positions both on break and without.

Yeah I decided to actually look it up rather than just ask the thread shortly after, and it turns out you can do a heat dash, or a heat burst but apparently not both in a combo! So off a regular launch I imagine the best structure is probably: Launcher>Filler>Heat Burst/Dash>Tornado>Ender of your choice. I'll have to test it out when I've got a chance

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Autsj posted:

No you can absolutely do both, however moves that would give you a full combo after a dash obviously won't anymore---they'll just give you one more hit at the end. So you're spending all your heat for an extra hit (technically the burst is also a hit but it is pretty marginal).

Ah ok, PhiDX's video mentioned that if you do both, the second one will send them into a special state where you don't really get a follow up so I interpreted that as probably don't mix them

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

It's funny how the most valuable advice I think I've ever received in Tekken is "DO NOT PUSH A BUTTON IN A STRING UNTIL YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE IT"S OVER"

doesn't matter how interruptible it looks, it's almost always a trap until you're more experienced

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man I need to watch PhiDX's King video clearly cause it's apparently a Wrestlemania tonight, and I'm a jobber

Got absolutely dunked by two kings back to back lol

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Autsj posted:

I'm eager to hear your tips and secrets: I can do both on stick no real problem but I switched over to a leverless when SF6 came out and despite 2 weeks of practice I can do neither good enough to rely on in an actual game.

:same: when I use my hitbox as well

For me the problem is doing it way, way too fast for kbd though and just not going anywhere

I prefer an actual lever anyway though so it works out for me lol

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Only controller bug I had was somehow getting stuck with my lever in right stick mode (this might also be a brooks board shortcut I didn't know)

Luckily I was just customizing my character at the time so it didn't really matter

inthesto posted:

In the past week I have successfully ducked a high in a string, launch punished a launch punishable low, blocked a snake edge, and sidestepped to get out of a trap

:unsmith:

:hellyeah:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I gotta go through lili's strings and check plus frames

Working on picking a few strings to focus on integrating each match, but know my plus frames where I can get them would do a lot for my game plan :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

eggrolled posted:

Ver.1.01.04 Notes are up. There's a big changes table that will be a lovely thumbnail so I'll leave it to the website to handle https://www.tekken-official.jp/tekken_news/240207.php

i'm confused as to what the Lili change means, but I also haven't had the chance to play in a few days unfortunately so maybe I missed some tech?

Also signed up for T8 at Evo :toot: gol drat it's expensive, but I've wanted to go for like.. literally a decade and have been saving up outside of going to a couple other majors in the past year and a half