Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Microplastics posted:

My naan recipe involves 90 minutes of waiting which makes it a faff in my opinion. Are you telling me I just mix it and bake?

That's why he's using baking powder (that's what's in self-rising flour) not yeast. Probably less authentic or w/e but if it works it works.

To be honest, I've made naan before at home, and it's pretty good, but it's not the same as the thin, slightly charred restaurant stuff - I suspect to get it really right you do need a tandoor oven or at least an industrial flat-top type cooking surface (see also why the supermarket stuff is not even in the ballpark, though obviously you can get closer). Miss where I used to live, though, where I could walk round the corner to the takeaway indian place and they'd sell you just the fresh made naan, 3 for a quid.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Kin posted:

Are they really that popular? I see em in shops everywhere but I figured there's only so much pizza a family can eat in a week and decent weather in the UK to fire it up outside.

I don't know about these things but I have a charcoal grill and will quite happily use it in the wind and (moderate) rain. It's close enough to my kitchen I can just duck back inside when not actually poking things on it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mebh posted:

UK maybe doing elections but probably not.

Short of an actual coup we are having an election this year.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bobstar posted:

The FTPA (First Toast Post Aaah!) set the minimum to 5 years, so the coalition partners couldn't (threaten to) explode the coalition for political gain, but there's always been a maximum. Though it's probably written on a stone in Wiltshire and also made up, but thankfully the government can't just go on forever.

We've had it at both 3 and 7 years before, and yeah it just takes another act of Parliament to change it. But the last time Parliament decided to just....stick around it was called the Long Parliament and it was quite literally after a civil war. Also ended up rather unpopular after a while.

Now, Parliament could do the same thing again, technically, if Rish could get the votes - but that is, effectively, a coup in the same way that Hitler's Enabling Act was technically perfectly legal but, y'know, Nazi Germany is not the Weimar Republic.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Just Another Lurker posted:

I can see why a cleaver could be a good choice, bought one years ago (7in Ken Hom branded off Amazon on discount) and they are bloody great for all my veg cutting/chopping... i rarely cut meat.

Consider a Chinese cleaver (not the same as an actual cleaver, you aren't cutting through bone with these, they are general chef's knives). It's nothing fancy but I have this -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005HE8F8S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

EvilHawk posted:

The House of Lords fill that weird gap where it's a completely undemocratic group of utter ghouls who wouldn't be anywhere near power if they didn't have money/connections/dirt on certain former PMs

But because they're unelected ghouls they don't really give a poo poo about lobbying groups and occasionally give the Correct outcome.

Obviously tiny Rishi can just force it through but it makes him sweat a bit, which is nice.

He might not have time, depending on the election. It has to go back through the whole process, then be approved, then Royal Assent (whoever the Royal is in question by that time). Clock's ticking.

Edit: if they're really determined and keep at it they can delay it a full year, which would absolutely spike Rishi's guns.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 4, 2024

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

A software engineer from Leicestershire on how loving much???
I'd be dead from a cocaine induced myocardial infarction on that amount.

That may be both their incomes, the way it's worded. For what the article is trying to say making out that he himself makes all the money sounds better. Because having been a software engineer in Leicestershire, yeah, that's bonkers money especially for a 28 year old so it's not like he's actually Head of Engineering or something.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

smellmycheese posted:

I regret to inform you that Mustard has gone woke

Someone should tell the chap that your tastebuds lose sensitivity with age. Things didn't actually all taste better when you were a kid, your body just worked better when you were a kid.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

domhal posted:

Whoever put through that investment can get in the bin, but why are councils investing? It's entirely deranged.

Because that is one of the very, very few ways they are allowed to raise more money.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

it seems to mean only ones we cant shove back to their home country. Which is apparently like iraq and Afghanistan. I dunno why? Like we can't charter a flight to those countires?

It's a bad look to have people step off the plane and immediately be beheaded by the Taliban.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Is she worse than original Bad Enoch Powell, who should get Bad and who should get 'WorseEnoch'..?

OG Enoch at least has the good grace to be dead.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

fuctifino posted:

On the subject of Rose, she got married to her husband when she was 19 and he was in his 40's. They got married two days after the engagement was announced, and around three months later she gave birth to twins. He's spent most of his time since then living in Paris with his openly gay roommate, and she's never lived more than 15 minutes away from William. One of the twins was a page boy at Charles and Camilla's wedding.

There's a non-zero chance that those twins are William's, and as such could have a direct claim to the throne.

I am pretty sure illegitimate children specifically do not have a claim to the throne or a lot of successions would be way more complicated.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

Just have an election jfc

This was in relation to the current gov but also can apply to head of state

We could always have another civil war, it worked for a bit before.

Maybe let's not do the Lord Protector thing again though, he was a shithead, how about the Doge of London?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jakabite posted:

What the gently caress?? gently caress you buddy

The ONLY reason to be saying this is when you’re annoyed they don’t corned beef bakes everywhere. They defo do them in Yorkshire and the north east, and I thought it was limited to there but I was in Leicester the other day and had one there but they don’t do them in Manchester which is just baffling and very frustrating for me

Manchester doesn't do saveloys either with fish and chips. Worst Chester imo.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cimber posted:

How much lead time do they need to give before the GE can be held? A week? A month?

We had a parliament sit for 20 years straight once - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Parliament

I mean we had to have a couple of civil wars and a military coup about it, but Parliament Is Sovereign. In theory it could just pass an act of parliament saying 'no elections ever from now on' and with Charles' assent (hey mate remember what happened to Charles the First when he disagreed with us, yeah?) it would be legit.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 20, 2024

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Vitamin P posted:

It adds a certain frisson, I won't lie.

So, uh. IKs? Mods? He's been probed repeatedly for posting in here because he's threadbanned. You actually going to do anything about this, or?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

bessantj posted:

I don't think it helps that I only wear one ear bud some people on my right don't see that I'm listening to something.

When those wireless earbud things first came out and got used with mobile phones it creeped me the gently caress out because you would apparently see some dude just walking down the street talking to himself. Not, before this point, associated with the most mentally stable of people.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Red Oktober posted:

My experience with wankers in business is it’s like a “you can sleep your way to the middle but not the top”.

The bullies I’ve come across were all (with tiny exceptions) middle management at best. David Brent was a good capture of this.

Offer not valid in small businesses, of course, the worst shithead I ever had to work with ran a 30-person (at the time, it's like 120 now) company, was the CEO, and of course there was literally no HR department. After he tried to strongarm me into a 3 grand pay cut I just left and found somewhere saner to work but not everyone has that option.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Scientastic posted:

These people aren’t trying to travel on expired passports, the passports are valid, but the UK rule is that passports are valid for ten years, plus any leftover validity you had on your old passport at time of renewal, up to nine months. The European rule is that your passport can only be used up to the tenth anniversary of issue.

So some people have up to nine months left on a passport that is more than ten years old, so they assume it’s valid and fine, but the EU won’t let them in.

It is pretty dumb, but it’s not as totally dumb as trying to travel on a passport that is past its expiry date.

Also, iirc, this requirement was waived because we were part of the EU, but because we aren't any more, it isn't. So, yes, this is actually the fault of Brexit.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

happyhippy posted:

Thames goes through Oxford.
So its possible the posho inhaled his or her own shite.

Ahem I think you will find it's called the 'Isis' at that point

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The hell is an 'actionist'

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

crispix posted:

lol vitamin p ignoring his threadban george costanza style :jerry:

Not like anyone seems to actually be doing anything about it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

kingturnip posted:

The NI cut is a bribe to their most loyal voters - even the oval office knows they're losing in a big way - in the hope that a few of those with the biggest majorities can delay having to get an actual job for 5 more years.

Technically it isn't, because that's pensioners and they already pay zero NI.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Not exactly all pensioners. I just know my 40-something colleague who is a "why cant we all just get along" centrist will vote tory purely on the grounds that labour have said they'll add VAT to school fees. From what she's previously said, this is the view a lot of her friends will take. Sod everything and everyone else.

That's VAT not NI though?

A pensioner who actually has a job (I am just realising this is presumably you) will presumably pay NI on it but usual sources of Tory pensioner income (like...pensions, public and private) don't pay it, and I would never peg (err. no pun intended on other conversations itt) you as a Tory voter.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

kingturnip posted:

Just looking through the 2021 census data and even though England as a whole is only 82% white, there are still over 500 electoral wards which are more than 98% white.

Ethnic minorities in the countryside are pretty thin on the ground here, no surprise really :shrug: Unlike the US, but there are uh historical reasons why chunks of the rural south have black people still living there that don't apply here.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Don't get me wrong, this is an example of something in the NHS which (if it hasn't already been changed) does need reform. But it needs careful, well-funded and centralised change, and you simply can't do that when every department, hospital and trust are being run as their own thing, and even worse have the Blairite management college idea of 'competing with each other.'

You aren't wrong, but the last Labour lot did try that and it went bang:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28166675/

Massive, centralised IT projects from the Oracles and IBMs of this world have a tendency to fail horribly, it's not even government specific. So not optimistic about this new wheeze either.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

As a (east, even) Londoner, can confirm, I get robbed at crossbow point literally every time I open my front door. This is totally a real thing that happens.

Point of order on Ankh-Morpork though, you are perfectly safe from being robbed as long as you pay your annual protection fee to the Thieves' Guild iirc.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Talking of which - are any of you on Unix making any sort of planning towards the Unix 'millenium bug' of 2038? Or has that potential problem all gone away?
14 years seems like a long time, but it isn't, really.

It's not an issue on 64 bit systems/software which have been standard for ages now (even longer for actual commercial Unix, back to the mid 90s ish). It is an issue with embedded stuff and legacy commercial software but the latter isn't prevalent quite the way mainframe stuff was. In any case its far enough off still nobody seems to be panicking yet. Nor were people in 1986 ofc...

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

her lack of ability when it comes to tech has always been the same since she was much younger. She hates tech and just refuses to learn how to do things properly.

My mum's the exact same way, she viscerally hates anything technical. My dad is the opposite, fortunately (which is why I snuggle computers today probably, he got me a ZX Spectrum when I was like 6), so he does it all for her, but without him she'd be having issues. I don't really see her doing internet banking.

On the plus side, when she was doing a part time teaching degree when I was a teenager, I got to earn extra pocket money typing up all her essays.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

If I can volunteer to be IK, if only so that I can go mad with power and start probing people over and over for everything.

I would happily IK and only go a little bit the full Josef Stalin. Someone has to after all

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Wait who are you

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

always a laugh when you find out that the cold war NATO planners wanted to trade minsk for birmingham if there was a limited nuclear exchange, thanks guys

I don't think there was like a signed agreement or anything, there.

Still, better Brum than Manchester I suppose

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

Oliver Cromwell, the ultimate anti-establishment politician

Only one out of 59 people who signed the death warrant though. People tend to telescope the Protectorate directly into the Civil Wars like it was Charles versus Oliver mano e mano, it's a bit more complicated than that.

Also he literally became the establishment, you want someone like John Lilburne. Of course like most lefties, Lilburne lost.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 18, 2024

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

I was doing an irony. Like, the notion that Oliver Cromwell was much of an anti-establishment politician is inherently silly. And if I was going to be pedantic, even though the War of The Three Kingdoms period isn't one I'm that knowledgeable on, I'd say that Lilburne wasn't an MP so he can't really be an anti-establishment politician when he fails the second part of the phrase, secondly if I was going to laud anyone from the period unironically it's more likely to be Winstanley than Lilburne. The Diggers were willing to go the extra step & advocate for the common ownership of land.

You can be a politician without being an MP, unless you think eg Nigel Farage doesn't count. Especially in this period.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

WaffleACAB posted:

The anti-woke SDP woman is something else. I thought the SDP were meant to be like the Lib Dems? She was just a few rhetorical rungs below the Britain First oval office.

In about 1985 maybe. The non-Dem Liberals also exist and are weird iirc.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

liberals are pretty consistent in their defense of human rights, they're just very flexible in their definitions of human

INot liberals in general, there is still a capital-L Liberal party.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Once upon a time a middle class failchild would be sent to become a monk or a nun and I think we should bring that back.

'Reformations, just say No' IMO

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

It was explicitly the point of microprocessors too though, replace a huge modular logic thing with a single slab that you make a hundred million of. Which gives you a unit (or more likely at first set of discrete units) with a very wide set of utilities, not a bad thing at all.

Usually two max, eg CPU and MMU, as you say that was the whole point.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Err OK fine maybe also FPU if you're being fancy but I'm not sure if anyone had separate chips for all three of those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bozza posted:

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

Except Android. Because Google hate freedom (but it didn't exist yet at the time of that rant)