Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I'm gonna wait a few more days (not least because I have some productive things to do this weekend :saddowns: ) but I'm glad this game seems to please so far and the price point is pretty appealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Is it possible to split stacks? :saddowns:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

*gives Abigail a quartz because she doesn't seem to be feeling the flowers*

"Hey, how'd you know I was hungry? This looks delicious.

...:raise:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

gently caress this fish forever.

Edit: I'm on a roll.

Become friends with the wizard.

I hope he can also change your Likes.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Dang, I no longer remember at which depth range I found tons of amethyst.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Gibbo posted:

You don't really need slave gnomes in this one due to an interruptable picking animation and the ability to just hold the button down and harvest everything at once while you walk through

:aaaaa:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

SuicideSnowman posted:

I know there is a wiki, but it doesn't seem to be complete and it's hard to follow so I created a document that lists all villagers with their loved and liked gifts:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UE6NHxsvv5BRLVJDyk4jUzBeiVgvepInF_TEcyY5IDA/pubhtml

You are a scholar and a gentlegoon.

(Also, Abigail likes and will apparently eat quartz. I can attest to this experimentally.)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

SuicideSnowman posted:

Yeah, I think she'll eat most minerals and considers them a like, but in the file data nothing is listed so I didn't put anything there. This document is a direct link from the data in the game files (which have no likes listed under Abigail)

edit: Also keep in mind that certain villagers have dislikes which may or may not clash with the universal loves/likes. So, keep in mind that while it may be listed in universal as a love or a like certain villagers have rules that override that.

I already worked that second part out, but it's relevant to newcomers.

And really, feeding Abigail quartz is the most cost-effective outcome if you don't have amethyst or chocolate cake on hand.

(She doesn't say she eats the amethyst, but she is pretty purple.)

Edit: Nobody dislikes coffee? Good to know.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Zoe posted:

Gah, where are all the blackberries hiding. I just need one, I've been searching for days, come on...

I think the thing may be mistimed, wait a few more days and you'll start seeing dark blue all over a lot of bushes.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Spaced God posted:

New build:

The scarecrow change is a fucker, but I can live with it.

The rest is great.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Wait so assuming scarecrows are centered like sprinklers, is that a 17x17 area or an 8x8 one?

17x17. The old area was, uh, admittedly a bit bonkers.

RIP some of my wood stockpile right before winter, though.

Edit: Emalde, are you QUITE SURE? I'm almost positive my previous scarecrows had a RADIUS of twenty.

(and radius of 4 is extraordinarily dinky-rear end)

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 29, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Better restart.

I can't find the old videos but I'm pretty sure the mines have changed drastically from the early concepts. You used to be able to tunnel through soft earth and torch placement was more important, right now there is only a 5 level segment of the mine that needs light.

And you'll probably get a ring that acts as a tiny torch! :toot:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Spring is just two days away and I'm loving ready! Sprinklers have been made and set up, huge tracts of land have been cleared and I'm gonna make jam, beer and booze enough to supply one American diner. I've pretty much decided that all longterm crops will go under the sprinklers, the one-time harvest stuff will be done by hand. I'm gonna keep a healthy stockpile of everything around so I can cook stuff year round, this is gonna be good :3:

I should also get the luxury coop for ducks and the barn for goats and sheep. I'm honestly not happy about that part of the upgrade system though because ideally I'd just want one barn and one coop but I'll need to have 4 plus the slime thing if I don't want to demolish my old barn and coop.

Good news! Turns out the luxury coop is an upgrade to the regular coop.

I know, I was surprised too.

Same space, double the capacity, plus incubator and ducks. :getin:

(I upgraded it in mid-fall, which is where I am right now, to aid the Mayonnaise Economic Empire.)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

gently caress yes!

Which reminds me, I need to purchase a duckling.

Edit: Also, other than the incubator, it's actually more economically appropriate to build more basic coops, unless ducks are somehow made of magic, which I won't rule out.

And the incubator is Kind Of A Big Deal. Chuck in a 100g* egg, it turns into an 1800g chicken.

* - Assuming you have mayonnaise machines, which you should, because otherwise what the hell are you doing?

Double edit: Yeah, unless ducks own or you just straight up go with one chicken/duck -> deluxe coop -> incubator, it's a better idea to build a new coop, I think. Maximum benefit from incubator is 1800x4, which is less than the cost of the upgrade, no?

Or unless you're pressed for space, which is... not really a concern.

Triple edit: The heater is a thing, which makes it a lot closer. Okay, maybe with extra duck magic it works.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Feb 29, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

According to the ever-informative wiki, duck mayonnaise sells for 200G at minimum, while gold star regular mayo sells for 150.

So slowly phase out Regular Chickens and replace them with Amphibious Alien Chickens. Got it.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 29, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Want something that'll blow your mind?

Hold down left-click with the watering can equipped for a second or two.

It'll water in a three-tile straight line.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

VoLaTiLe posted:

Seriously gently caress THIS GAME .... I LOST TWO FRIGGING DAYS PLAYING THIS its too addictive.

Just got to Fall I want cows and a greenhouse so frigging bad.

Quick question if I upgrade my watercan do I get the ability to water several tiles at once? (Like in harvest moon 64)

You can click-hold for a line at copper and iron, at gold you get 3x3.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Oh hey, looks like pines grow during winter. :3:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

My god, you don't need to unlock refining quartz?

:suicide:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

:golfclap:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Uh oh, Abigail's into ouija boards.

Good thing this valley has nothing weird or occult going on!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

busb posted:

given the 8 tile requirements wouldn't the best fruit tree layout actually be: (where 0 is space, x is fruit tree)
code:
O O O O O O O O O
O x O O x O O x O
O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O
O x O O x O O x O 
O O O O O O O O O
because with only a single space you'd have overlap? or does that not actually interfere with fruit spawning or something? That's what i assumed from the wording but my trees haven't grown to fruition yet.

That's how I'm handling my orchard, but I dunno how fruit spawning is coded. Which is why I'm doing that.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

So is it possible to get a single to gain 10 hearts without giving them the flowers?

I want to sample a bit of everyone before settling down.

Good news: giving the flowers seems to be nonexclusive.

You can presumably be dating all ten simultaneously.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

nutranurse posted:

Can I gay marry the hobo?

No(t yet).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Library book from worm diggin':

"Petting your animals every day makes them happier!"

:geno:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Khorne posted:

And pet them everyday.

:argh:

At least the game told me this after I dug up a couple equally undocumented worm tiles, but I was puzzled why my cows and chickens weren't doing their loving jobs for all of fall.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I can only imagine the taste. :barf:

I would rather not.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Indecisive posted:

guys help

a witch came in the night and cursed my egg

I have an incubator......... do i hatch it

Do it. What's the worst that could happen? :cthulhu:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I am trapped in a farming-themed Skinner Box. Send help.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

To anyone who has above 8 hearts with a single without a bouquet, can you share a pic?

I swear to god, I've been giving Harvey pickles and he still doesn't think of me as his BEST PAL.

I hit ten with Wizard this evening.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Funkmaster General posted:

My apologies if these have been answered already, this thread moves fast!

1) Do I need to water fully-grown crops if I intend to leave them where they are without harvesting them? Specifically, I have flowers around my bee houses for fancy honey. I tried to water one the day they came up and accidentally picked it, dunno if I messed up or if they just don't need it anymore.

2) How long does it take/what do I need to do to do whatever is up with the dilapidated building on my farm? It's an eyesore and I can't demolish it, sadly.

3) Is there something aside from crows and debris falling off stone fences (which I understand was fixed in the latest patch anyway) that causes crops to die randomly? I've had it happen a few times were a day or two after planting, some crops just disappear. Usually, but not always, if I water the empty tile after it goes missing the crop will reappear somehow the next day, but then take a day longer to grow compared to the rest around it, and sometimes it just stays gone. I thought I was trampling them but apparently that's not a thing.

4) I've been told it's important to keep up relationships with people. Other than your marriage candidate (Abigail is obviously the best waifu, by the way), what benefits does this actually incur? I've had one character randomly mail me some fertilizer, which is nice I guess but not a huge help and that was at 1 heart so maybe the gifts get more frequent/better quality later on?

5) Why is the second half of the beach so important? People seem adamant that you need to unlock it ASAP but I find one or MAYBE two coral there every two or three days, which granted is 100-200 free gold but doesn't seem super important. The 300 wood investment hurt at the time, though now with a somewhat upgraded axe it isn't a big deal anymore.

2) It's the greenhouse, do community center quests.

4) Recipes, mostly. Also new scenes, lots of which are pretty cool.

5) There is a man there who sells something on rainy days you will eventually want. Having the second beach scourable also gives some extra shots at rolling up a nautilus shell or rainbow shell, I think.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I just started my second year and other than LARGE SCALE INDUSTRIAL FARMING I plan to try my hand at animal husbandry. I already have a coop and a silo, but the posts here make it seem like animals eat unsustainable amounts of food. Is there a list or a chart or something out there than I can refer to? For those of you making walled off areas for your animals, got any pictures of the logistics?

The animals in this game are way cute and I also need things like eggs and milk to fuel my restaurant business.

Petting them improves output, yeah.

Once you hit Farming 10, animals become sustainable sources of income even if you buy 100% of your feed from Marnie (when she's doing her goddamn job :argh:). Just turn all your eggs into mayonnaise and all your milk into cheese.

The Special Chicken is a ripoff, tragically. I'm still raising two, but you can't make anything from the eggs to improve yield.

A couple rabbits for wool and, presumably, feet are worthwhile too.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

How do you get ancient seeds in the first place, anyway? I feel like I should have run across some by now.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Countblanc posted:

i just made a little girl cry because I gave her grapes on her birthday. i hate this game

Those little shits are arguably harder to work with than Haley.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

Is there anything actually inside anyones bedrooms because I have made no attempt whatsoever at befriending/woo'ing anyone so I am never getting in one

fake edit: much like real life

The mayor's purple shorts quest item is in one eventually, also some people (looking at you, Sebastian) like to spend a lot of time in their rooms so if you ever might want to befriend them you should probably carry ammo with which to pounce on them if you see them out and about.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

god winter is a piece of poo poo if you already cleared out the mines

You can run the bottom five floors over and over (and over and over and over) for extra cash if that's your thing.

Re: Abigail: Nah, she just only spends like two nights a week there at 8pm. Good luck!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

:psyboom:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Cicadalek posted:

Some crops you plant once, harvest multiple times. You can tell which kind it is in the seed description.

Parsnips aren't hugely profitable but they have a relatively short growth time, which can be handy if you want a quick return on your investment, or you want to grow a bunch of stuff in the last week of the month. Generally the stuff that sticks around all season is less hassle if you plant a bunch of them on day one, since you don't have to deal with replanting.

Also make sure to fertilize your soil (craft it from tree sap) to up the chance of quality crop yields, they're worth a bit more than regular crops.

I keep forgetting to fertilize, which is unfortunate since I have Literal Stacks of basic fertilizer.

About to hit Summer 2, I think I'll roll with Not Corn this time, as handy as it is.

(Not least because the Field of Infinite Cranberries will allow me to buy out not just the town, but Jojacorp itself. :getin:

How does it feel to threaten the community center now, fuckers?)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Digirat posted:

How do you make sure you are generating as much hay as your animals are eating without having to buy any. I want to become the beakmeister but just 5 chickens are outpacing the rate I get hay, unless I chop up all the grass from the starters I planted, but then I'd just have to pay for more grass starters. It seems like only a small number of animals will go through your grass faster than it spreads so I haven't been letting them outside.

Also goddamn those ducks better be fantastic for costing $4,000 a pop

Buy one duck, use it to manufacture more.

(Really you don't *need* even one duck, but the variety and the feathers are nice and they're technically a more efficient use of mayo machine time.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Got tired of the bundles, keeping track of it, during fall 1 so switched to Jojo mart.
Feels good to destroy the working man market for not always being open muhahaha
Although once I did this I IMMEDIATELY pulled multiple fish I've been struggling to get :/

My kegs are slowly coming online, managed to get 350+ hops in a single season not knowing what I was doing, money is flowing in. Soon I'll have the blue berry green house up and running

The gentle goon who showed me the best lay out with the second tier sprinklers thank you. I got 4 giant plots that I don't touch besides harvesting. Cranberries, corn pumpkins and egg plants galore :3
Winter is coming so I'll finish that first mine, forage and fish my way into oblivion. That and clear my farm land besides my set aside trees for sap.

Is there any animal who products in winter so I have something else to do?

All livestock except maybe pigs produce in winter. You'll need to either have a massive hay supply in advance or use some of your revenue to buy from Marnie (when her goddamn store is open :argh: ), though.

And an unheated barn/coop is a ding on happiness, yeah.