Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Tricky Twisty posted:

Did the Tatoba combo finishing move actually ever kill anything ever
I had to look it up just to remember what it was. If he didn't kill anything by his first full combo, I don't think he killed anything with it. It's just a Rider Kick with an assist from Grasshopper's legs and since Medajalibor was the toy it always got more finishers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Miss Kalle posted:

Hey shut up about subs for a minute, apparently Hurricanger is getting a 10th anniversary movie!
Hurricane Blue never stopped being in Toku. She was in an arc of W (The magician's assistant), Fourze (The teacher who knew kickboxing) and apparently she's going to be one of the spirit rangers in Kyoryuger as well.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Super Sentai newbie question.

I've just gotten to Gai/Gokai Silver's arrival in Gokaiger. His excitable puppy routine alternates between amusing and nerve-scrapingly annoying. The entire fight scenes for the episode were him tearing up the Zangyack single-handedly and then showing off his three-form mecha while everyone stood around verbally fellating him for how amazing he was.

1) Was the over the top "He's so AWESOME! :swoon:" a parody of this sort of the thing, because it felt laid on so thick but I haven't seen any other Sentai series to compare.

2) Is this going to be like Mighty Morphin Power Rangers in general where all plot and character development immediately focuses on the Sixth Ranger?

I guess I'm asking if it's a Sentai trope that the sixth member is always ridiculously powerful with their own powerset (I know, I know, the need to sell toys) and always become the focus of the show or if it's treated different by different series.
He's temporarily stronger than the others, but in general, he's in the top 4 with Marvelous, Joe, and Luka, but usually hangs around and babysits the weakling duo of Ahim and Don (His personality fits them anyway)

As far as that goes though, the series does a better job at splitting up the action and letting them all become the hero, even late in the series (And even Naavi)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

HKR posted:

I didn't watch OOO as it aired and I've never seen Aesir's subs so I don't know. Did it work?
It looked pretty. I'd prefer to not have distractions though, I already have to read through most of an episode

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Autumncomet posted:

I figured that before jumping into Gokaiger, I'd check out the sentai version of my favorite Power Rangers, RPM. Is Go-Onger anything like RPM in tone or plot?
Even though there's a lot of great humor in RPM, the two series are almost polar opposites. Everything is silly as poo poo, the cars all have personalities of their own and become secondary characters, and it's just...Silly as poo poo is all I can say.

Watching Gokaiger will ruin exactly nothing on Go-Onger except the fact that....Apparently two cars made a baby car.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

W was really good about each form having a use. Xtreme was pretty win button at times but each of his existing forms continued to be useful and used fairly regularly.

Honestly W kind of ruined me on form changes in every successive series. It did a great job with making everything it had feel distinctive and unique while OOOs, Fourze and Wizard all feel quantity over quality.
At least with OOOs though, Eiji was kind of restricted to which arbitrary medals he happened to have at the time. From a story telling perspective at least that made sense. In Fourze he had like 40 switches and no real rhyme or reason to using them.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Cliff Racer posted:

The W T-Rex? Seemed kind of samey to me, what did you like about him?
What is there to hate about a massive TRex head chasing around Shotaro like Pacman?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King: I'll let you two handle the complex stuff! (Refering to Ian and Souji)
Amy: You don't think of me as one of the smart ones?

At this point all King does is nod his head yes. It doesn't seem to bother Amy. :stare:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

So they're going to get a new cast for Gokaiger's US adaptation right? I can't see the robo red ranger becoming Mr Swag, Captain Marvelous, or the nerd becoming second in swag, Joe. Gia would make a great Luka and Jake might make a good Joe and that's about all. I don't know why BMX queen would suddenly become the frail princess.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The idea of going through the entire series of Power Rangers and giving a season overview podcast style is neat. Unfortunately it's Linkara that's doing it, I don't think anyone needs his flaws pointed out. It'd be awesome if someone with an easier voice to listen to do something similar, and compared it to the Sentai. At the rate that Linkra goes anyway it's much quicker to watch an episode a week and you'll still finish the series before he does.

I wanted to send the link to my brother anyway since he doesn't seem to mind Linkara and I got this:

:lol:

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 12, 2013

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Autumncomet posted:

There's never been a female Red Ranger, has there?
Since the series is over now, Shinkenger/Samurai had a female red ranger for a few episodes. There's still a few past series where it looks like a female is the leader until the red ranger actually shows up though, like Wild ForceGaoranger.

VVV Forgot about that, only watched the first couple episodes.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 14, 2013

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Am I the only one who's noticed that Pink's combination of short arms and a large head makes the dance at the end ridiculous? The suit, not Amy, I crack up every single time. She's trying so hard to get her arms above her head.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

tonberrytoby posted:

So, Akibaranger got me in the mood to watch some of those old show. I am currently watching Dairanger, and it's fun.

Afterwards I think I should watch some Kamen Raider or Ultraman. I have never seen any of either of these shows before.
Can you recommend a series I should start with?
For Kamen Rider:
W or OOO's. W is the absolute easiest series to get into, but it's only really goes down from there.
OOO's is a little bit like W, but isn't AS great and you can easily enjoy more series before spoiling yourself with W.
Kabuto is good because it has so many Riders they might as well be a sentai team, fighting is great and the main two characters are memorable.
Agito/Kuuga are much in the same vein, they're both drama oriented so have slow starts.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

AzraelNewtype posted:

Bad. We go over this basically every time it comes up, Flameingblack is basically the only person crazy enough to stick up for that atrocity. The movie's neat though, and non-canon so you can just watch it to get the good part of the show (the suits fighting) without the bad (everything else). Kind of like 555 that way.
/m/ recommends it a majority of the time too :colbert:

The main character (Hint: It's Kagami) is a really great character, and Tendou's cocky-but-backs-it-up attitude as the main rider is really fun to watch as well. It's really frustrating when you have no idea what Tendou is doing until it's long past done, and the plot falls apart but the characters in Kabuto are top notch. More than I can say about a lot of other rider shows. Agito is still one of my favorites, but there's not much to say about Shouichi and I like OOO's a hell of a lot but there's literally nothing to say about Eiji. Kabuto is character driven over plot and it works for me, every single one of the riders has a character that develops incredibly well for a show thats plot goes on an acid trip half-way through.

If you don't want to watch Kabuto, basically Half the cast turns out to be the "enemies" in disguise, although confused and unaware they are. This includes Rider Sasword and the lead female, who Kagami and Tendou try and protect the whole series

Justin_Brett posted:

I feel like recommending Kabuto now would be painting a really inaccurate picture given what formula they've settled into.
Everything post-Decade is radically different than pre-Decade (Except Den-O), and everything Showa is pretty different from most things in the Hesei era, Agito & Kuuga withdrawn.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 27, 2013

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Son Ryo posted:

Is there any reason not to recommend Agito as a starting Rider show? It does the multiple riders thing almost as good as Kabuto (way better if you ask me, but that's neither here nor there) and besides a few references to Kuuga and that one writer's usual antics, the plot was pretty solid.
It starts off pretty slowly is the only reason you might not want to. If people are into slow-building dramas then it's perfect.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The kanji looks a lot more like "Power Rangers" than "Powerful Rangers" to me. Who translated that, TV-N? But yes, it at least says Power Rangers so it's probably true

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Miss Kalle posted:

It's a bit hard to make out because of the image quality, but the kana says パワフル (pawaafuru) so yeah, it was meant to be Powerful.
That makes it look like the next arc of Akibaranger is going to have Super Sentai completely erased and Power Rangers (Because of copyright issues, Powerful Rangers) as the only show around.

Which is why Tommy and Jason are there :v:

Rangerboard's wet dream. (Linkara still won't watch it)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The Blackest Goon posted:

Houjou from Agito just comes off as batshit insane to me :(
He's supposed to. The further along in the series he gets, the more off the tracks he falls. His jealousy of the G3 Unit team and bizarre hatred of Agito fuels him into insanity.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Half of Amy's lines are over-dubbed by someone who knows less English than her amy's actress probably knows herself.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

also when does ryo stop being a miserable piece of poo poo?
I have some bad news for you, buddy.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Pink and Blue Space rangers look about exactly the same as they did over a decade ago. :stare:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

When Lucky made his way into their base, they all started to transform and Lucky did the dance with them, despite being behind enemy lines :3:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

RBX posted:

Up to Episode 33 of W and even though there's been a few Deus Ex Machinas and Accel still has the personality of a brick it's still building to something awesome. The monster designs got extremely better as the series went on, the montage in episode 32 was one of the most unintentionally funny things i've seen, and seeing Phillip dressed as a girl made me ask myself questions I do not want to answer. I love the low amount of filler as well. I guess Kamen Rider is a little better than Sentai with that?
Every episode of W advances the plot in some way. OOO's was somewhat half-way there, with each episode usually at least trading medals around so you could see new combos! But then Fourze and Wizard are just filler out the ears and there's nothing you can do to stop it, or make it easier.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Continuing Kyoryu spoilers: So, with Silver and Violet both being guys, this is largest guy to girl ratio in Sentai yet. A surprise especially given Sakamoto's involvement.
Well, there were rumors that Nao Nagasawa/Hurricane Blue was suppose to be a Spirit Ranger, meaning she's essentially appeared in every single Toku show since Hurricanger ended. Including two different seasons of Kamen Rider, and even indirectly in Akibaranger! She is Gokai Silver irl :v:

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 10, 2013

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

is he more of a smug dick than tendou?
They're on roughly equal footing.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

One of my favorite parts of the movie was the Matsuko Deluxe reference. I didn't quite get what the heck was going on at first but then :stare:

Ultimatum's Fourze parts were really good, it was neat to see one of the modern-day series with a proper epilogue. W seems like it could just go on forever and there's still a loose plot line hanging in OOOs that's gotta be handled in an upcoming movie, right? (Ankh coming from the future confirming that the OOOs medal is fixed sometime)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

RBX posted:

He'd be better in kyoru. JUST SAYIN.
But their cast is so good, who would you possibly replace? You know what, I really want to see the Vs movies turn into Gokaiger vs the new team. Gokaiger had such a great cast and it was such a good series, and it even makes sense to have them keep showing up. Gokai Green + Kyoru Blue team-up :allears:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

It really does look like a Den-O Clusterfuck suit upgrade.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Darksaber posted:

I may have missed it or this might be common knowledge, but apparently Gaim is directed by the guy who did Akibaranger in addition to having Urobochi writing for it. Add that to the images and the plot that's been revealed? gently caress it. I'm all in just like everyone else is. I do still hope that maybe next year we can have a return to some more simple suits and maybe a full time or secondary female rider, but I'm totally down for a year of off the wall street dance battling pokemon collecting fruit cutting riders.

Since you guys know the older series a lot more than I do, is there a reason that there haven't been a lot of female riders? I honestly like Nadeshiko and Mage (with the exception of some of the weird fanservice sound effects and zoom ins for Nadeshiko) and I think they could at the very least carry a secondary rider spot.
The only other two female riders I can think of are Kiva-La (from movies) and Tackle (If you want to count her). I don't think there's any specific reason other than this being a show for boys.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

HKR posted:

The actual ending is in Ultimatum, but yes. Fourze has a great ending.
The movies are pretty great too, especially the one that shows how the cast moves on after the show

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Ignis posted:

The "It's an Emergency!" line, the pose she takes when she says it, and the siren playing in the background (the same from Dekaranger). It wasn't on the captions, so she could've adlibbed the line.
I'd always thought she looked familiar but I had no reason to believe it was her until the Dekaranger tease :negative:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

jivjov posted:

Between her and the Gokaiger tribute episode, I am now convinced I need to watch Dekaranger soon.
Dekaranger was a lot of fun, but there are parts of it that get super repetitive. The cast is still a hell of a lot of fun.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Raizor posted:

I think it's Kamen Rider Wars feat. Super Sentai with a showa vs. heisei focus

e: vvv Yes vvv
I really need to see Stronger vs Kabuto in an extended fight. :allears:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

If I'm not mistaken, the Christmas Monster was Brooke from One Piece. I love hearing One Piece characters in Super Sentai :allears:

The best part is that they managed to work his trademark "YO HO HO" laugh into the monster by being Santa themed.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 16, 2013

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I just assumed that spoiler was about Dinosaurs since you know, Gaim has its own topic. But good to know I've been spoiled before it's even subbed :smith:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Is that supposed to be the Grandchildren of the original cast? That looks insane, their hair makes them all look so different. :stare:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Rei_ posted:

They always dress Koyomi up like an actual doll with little frilly shirts and poo poo, and it has the side effect of making her look incredibly young. Also they keep addressing her in terms of innocence and fragility which are typically childlike concepts? I get that the actress for Koyomi is supposed to be 18 at the time of the show but there's no way in hell her character reads that way.

Like, maybe pedophile is too strong a word but something about the way Haruto kind of approaches her sketches me out. Like, literally at one point he's more or less certain that he's going to be killing three other people to bring her back, and it's only when Fueki goes 'nah, it's all of Tokyo' he has second thoughts about it. Also having her restore her life force by touching his waist was kinda...you know? Their relationship doesn't read as familial, especially not when he's taking her out on dates and stuff. Combine that with her absence for chunks of the show means that Haruto doesn't really come across as having any real developed relationship with her (or basically anyone) but he just seems creepy and obsessed with keeping her alive.
You're projecting quite a bit. The actress is an idol and she wears clothes that make her look good. She's 20 in real life and during shooting was probably 17-18. Her character's supposed to be a doll so it shouldn't be surprised she's dressed like a doll

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 26, 2014

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Ugh. Amy x King is one of the worst parts of Kyoryuger. Mainly because it crushes my hopes of Amy x Souji! :saddowns:
But there was an entire two episodes revolving around her not being attracted to him at all and she just saw King as a work relationship like anyone else on the team.

e: yeah wait I haven't seen the last couple episodes nevermind.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 3, 2014

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Kuso Meriken posted:

Holy poo poo Kyoryuger 47 is one of the most epic sentai episodes I've seen.

For Cyan is Kinoshita the first actor to play multiple sentai roles in different series? If not it's got to be a small club. Gokaiger doesn't count.
Nope, Magi Yellow/Beet Buster. But he might have been the first, or at least the only one I recall off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

jivjov posted:

As someone in my Power Rangers thread over in TVIV pointed out, it wouldn't be any better than the explanation for the Black-to-Green switch.

"Hey, why are we Pirates now?"
"Well, you see-" BIGASS EXPLOSIONS "-never mind, go save the city!"
Wish that it had the same writers as RPM now, which was a legitimately great season, and highlighted every goofy thing about the series, including the differences between the dub (Big googly anime eye-d zords)

• Locked thread