Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I feel the same way about coffee that I do beer. I enjoy good coffee, so I roast beans and take the time to make some when I'm home, but when I'm on the road I drink whatever is most accessible, or if somebody only had Folgers I'll gladly drink that. With beer I buy good beer, but I'm not enough of a snob to turn down a bud light or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010
My boss is nuts, and was very upset that the blizzard put a stop to all travel today, he thought I would be able to drive from Denver to SLC since all the flights were cancelled. Pretty much confirmed that I need to get a new gig ASAP.

Dude has no concept of geography and its killing me

bengy81
May 8, 2010

EBB posted:

let jesus take the wheel

If I somehow didnt end up as part of the 100 car pile up that closed the highway northbound, I would have been stuck in Cheyenne, cuz they had the gates down by noon and weren't letting people into Colorado.

Also apparently just because you have PTO approved, dont assume you will actually get to take it, that was an important lesson I learned today.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
RE: Denver food chat. There are decent restaurants in Denver Metro, but nothing mind blowing, and you are gonna have to deal with some bullshit like wonky hours or long lines.
Yak and Yeti is passable Indian/Nepalese food, but they make a Chai milk stout this is mind blowing, worth stopping in for IMO.

Sam's No.3 is diner food, but done very well. Get something smothered with green chili and you will be happy

Uncle Ramen is supposed to be really good, but I've never been over there due to bullshit hours.

Oskar Blues has decent food and food beer, and I think they have a few locations now, so you don't have to go to Longmont to get it, although there are a bunch of breweries in Longmont worth hitting up if you are into that kind of thing.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I should also add that if you are gonna drive I-25 down from Montana, there are some pretty decent restaurants in Casper, and an ok steakhouse in Cheyenne.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Handsome Ralph posted:

Going to Vegas on Sunday with my wife for a couple of days. Right now my plans are go see the Grand Canyon and the Hoover Dam, do the Star Wars VR thing, do other cool stuff that doesn't involve gambling. Any recommendations?

Wife wants to do a helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon. Told her no way I'm stepping foot into a helicopter unless I absolutely have to.

Go eat at Ramen Sora and Lotus Thai.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Sarah posted:

I’m VA employee. There’s a reason the VA pays more than any other hospital I can work at. Because otherwise they would have no employees. Example: last year we worked in sweltering heat inside a trailer with the promise that the nice new department would be ice cold. Reality is they ordered the wrong AC unit for us and we are working in the heat still.

If I want to leave I have to take at least $9/hr paycut, probably more since I only have a years worth of surgical experience.

Oh forgot the best part: in true VA style they made sure the thermostats were far away from where the heat / work is, so when we are all sweating and dying, someone in nice clothing comes in while we are wrapped in plastic and says “well it says on the thermostat it’s 68 degrees in here so you can’t possibly be hot. “

They do not round the corner where the washer is pumping out 190 degree hot air. :downs:

Oh you poor thing, you are a scrub tech aren't you? I hated going into central sterile and the OR's at the VA because goddamn are they miserable.

They were always good about paying their bills, but holy poo poo some of the contractors they would hire would stiff you every chance they got, especially those mobile OR fucks.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Sarah posted:

I work in sterile processing. The OR here is actually fantastic — almost non existent infection rate, immaculately clean suites, rooms & core are ice cold. It’s nice to step out of our sweat shop into their cool air (we are attached to them, but do not fall under them for command purposes).

I was one of the first people to be thrown into the hot room and they didn’t take me and my coworker’s complaints seriously, mostly because since last March I was always hot. Last week they didn’t take the complaints seriously either because the two employees that were in there also are always hot. This week someone who has never complained of being hot, even when the temps hit 86 degrees last summer, spoke up and said something needed to be done. They were shocked he was hot, but still nothing has been done.

Sadly, nothing is going to be done until someone passes out. It’s the VA way.

ST79 has pretty tight recommendations for environmentals. You could always photo copy the relevant passages and hang in strategic locations. Nobody wants to fail an AAMI inspection.

Edit: not that the VA gives a gently caress normally. I realize that your dept. leadership probably has your best interests in mind, but the c-suite is too busy trying to learn six sigma leadership to fix any problems before they blow up

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 19, 2019

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Sarah posted:

They are getting around this by having the thermostats and Checkpoints in locations that don’t cause alarms. It’s pretty slick.

I'm starting to get an angry twitch over this and I don't even do that kind of work anymore!

What about airflow monitors? Please tell me they are just stuck in a closet somewhere?

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Edit: Redacted!

Your dept. is newer than I thought it was. It's a shame they cheaped out on the ventilation.

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 19, 2019

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I love plain Schweppes seltzer water. It's a shame it impossible to find it outside of liquor stores around here.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I have a sodastream, I'm just not home enough to use it regularly.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

ElMaligno posted:

OK, so the GF and her youngest one officially starts living in the apartment this saturday. This Sunday we are going to bake some pizzas in my new weber grill.

I already have:
Cargo shorts
flip flops
apon
no-shirt and sunblock
an apron

I already bought:
Over the calf white socks

what elsedo i need to complete the dad look???

A fanny pack and grass stained white trainers, preferably Nike or New Balance.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Y’all still have sex?

I'm fairly certain that nobody over the age of 25 bones down, at least not with any frequency.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Taking the wife to Vegas in July- Anyone got recommendations on places to go things to do/see and restaurant suggestions and poo poo?

Vegas is hot as poo poo in July, so I guess spend a lot of time in the pool? I like the pools at the Mirage a lot, for whatever that's worth.

As far as food on the strip or within a $10 uber ride:
Momofuku and Milk Bar for your fancy pants eating, get some cereal milk ice cream. Ramen Sora is the best ramen I've ever had in my life. Lotus Thai is awesome for thai food. In N Out obviously, Bruxie is a good sandwich, but you can get them in LA so it's not that big of a deal.
I cant think of anymore good ones off the top of my head.
This guy is a fat Vegas poker player, and you can basically trust that anything he recommends is probably gonna be worth eating:
http://jimmyeatsvegas.com

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Walk by Guy Fieri's place just so you can point and laugh at all the idiots that paid 25 bucks to eat one of his burgers.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Vasudus posted:

It's amusing seeing a grand tour of identity theft stuff. About every two weeks I get an email with a new account that I haven't used in years is compromised. Apparently this time around it's my <checks notes> Mojang account? Oh...ok. I guess it's not a Minecraft account anymore.

I got one yesterday for my FSAID account, which is perplexing, because what kind of information can they get from that account that they don't get from anything else I have? I guess maybe they can take a private student loan out in my name? I dunno, but identity theft is definitely the lamest cyberpunk future problem to deal with.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
gently caress the haters, that Weber is a nice piece of cooking gear. I'm jealous, I have a knock off masterbuilt or something, it works, but it's not THE BEST.

Still have a Weber kettle grill and a smoker, but man, a Weber propane grill would really round out the collection.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Handsome Ralph posted:

Before:

After:

Hey nice job!

Also I think my propane grill is the same model as that. Not sure if it's a CharBroil or a vanity store brand though.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Most people I've met that have been at a big 3 last like a year to two tops. VAS has been doing it for 5+???, therefore he isn't people anymore. I wouldn't worry about him based on that alone.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Vasudus posted:

There's a lot of different factors that play into turnover. Washout rate (one way or the other) at 2 years is about 80-85%. Even though we don't use an up-or-out system (hardly anybody does, because they're dumb as poo poo) that doesn't mean you can stand still. The environment constantly encourages you to improve yourself, and failing to do that results in getting a 3-5% raise every year and left alone, wondering why nobody is paying you more or asking you to do special projects or proposals. Junior staff in particular will bounce around between companies at the junior/mid level forever and never build any equity, then eventually wonder why nobody wants to pay them more.

For my particular career progression it was mid level analyst (because I had my MS) -> senior analyst -> task lead -> workstream lead. Next stop is contract-level management but that's still a year or two off probably, as it gets exponentially harder as you climb the ladder as one would expect.

I've always been curious about big 3 life, but between not wanting to move to a major metro area, and not being able to pursue higher education it's going to remain a curiosity. So basically keep posting about your job because its entertaining to read about.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
My gross lunch is a can of sardines in oil, drained of half the oil, mashed up with diced onion garlic powder and yellow mustard. Serve on wheat bread or crackers. Don't eat if you are going to be around humans that you like immediately after consumption.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm just being an rear end, they're fine. A little too Jimmy Buffett for me.

I mean if you arent rocking your MJ's with Tommy Bahamas and an In N Out shirt are you even in dad mode? Jimmy Buffett is the dad spirit animal.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
So I'm on a work trip this weekend, we are doing training on some Salesforce modules, and it sucks. Besides the fact that Salesforce and ServiceMax are mostly broken, I got a job offer yesterday that I'm pretty sure I'm going to take, so dealing with a working weekend has been extra agonizing.
So I spent all day today fantasizing about not working this job anymore, but I cant help but feel kind of slimy that I'm going to call my boss first thing Monday morning and give my notice.
Anyhow, being an adult sucks, there is no reason I should care about quitting this awful job, but for some reason I do.

In other news, I got a couple fig tree cuttings in the mail that I'm pretty excited about. Hopefully my wife doesnt kill them before I get home.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

Don't ever, ever feel bad for quitting. If you give your two weeks notice you've covered your bases, and they'd for god drat sure cut you loose in a heart beat without a single care in the world.

Yeah, my brain is broken, I hate this job, and my boss is a dipshit, and I dont have any attachment to my customers or coworkers, but I hate confrontation, and the ensuing panic that come when you put in notice.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

6 weeks unemployment streak over.

My old job gave me a 10k raise annually to come back even though they didn't have the position open.

Holy poo poo let's never do that again.

My wife determined we can put literally 50% of my paycheck into retirement/house and love quite comfortably after this bout.

Hey, congrats dude! Hope the new old job works out.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I need to go have a crown redone, I'm not thrilled about having a mouthful of teeth that cost more than a mid 2000 Honda Accord.

I had a good dentist, he was able to kill crowns in office so you he would fiddle with them until the fit perfectly, but he was expensive and constantly trying to push poo poo like invisalign and night guards. I moved so now I have to try to find a new dentist, or drive south an hour and a half to have the work done.

^^^ same, those fuckheads yanked mine out in basic becuase they were worried they might be impacted later.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I mean I didn’t want to have to come here and say it but same.

In boot camp I just remember them taking everyone’s wisdom teeth. I had paid out of pocket at 19 years prior. Wish I got that for free. Couldn’t afford any anesthesia beside local.

Those surgeons are pulling a lot of loving teeth. I get some may be training, but it’s possible that maybe with all that teeth pulling they’re somewhat competent too but idk lol military medicine amiright y’all

ya I looked into it and boy they really don’t want to cover anyone. From what I remember you needed one of:

1. Service related jaw trauma
2. 100% rating, or was it 90%
3. 60% rating and I believe rendered unemployable?

And I think one more I’m forgetting.

Honestly, most of my bitterness stems from the fact that I was too broke to have the pulled when they were coming in, so I had to deal with the pain on and off for two years, and then the Navy just yanked them out when they finally quit hurting.
I also think that most problems people have with Navy medicine in general is that if you are attached to an at sea command, you are never seeing the same doctor twice. It can be really frustrating to have one doc make a recommendation, then when you schedule your follow up the next doc is confused about why they are doing what they are doing. Also just like in the civilian world, not all doctors and dentists are good, its just easier to hold onto a good one in the civilian world than the military.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

I live in an old 1950s era air force base housing neighborhood. Practically every house has been added on to or renovated in some way, but many still do not have central heating and air, and all of them are still the same old 2/1 cement houses built all over the country in that time frame.

It's actually a pretty pleasant neighborhood, all in all, but it's not a high property value part of town in the least bit. There's a house down the street from me that I actually thought about buying when I saw the for sale sign. I looked up the property value and it's got a market value of $45k. List price? $78. loving :lol:

I don't even know if it's got central air.

It took me a moment to realize you didnt forget a couple zeroes. I get real tempted sometimes to sell my house and move somewhere that I could straight up pay cash for a house.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

holocaust bloopers posted:

Flight back from NYC to Chicago got cancelled today. Felt real good emailing work to let them know I won’t be in till the late afternoon tomorrow.

LGA to ORD?
If so my condolences.

Actually, any of the NY metro airports suck, and its worth the train to philly or DC IMO.

I'm so sick of flying, thank god it's my last week with this company, my travel should go down to something more reasonable than 120 nights a year on the road.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

Also better than loving cricket powder. gently caress you, everyone pushing the "Oops, looks like you and your children and grandchildren will have to eat an insect based diet because we destroyed the planet's resources" idea.

I've been toying with going vegetarian or pescatarian, i think we are gonna get thunderfucked on pork prices in the near future and beef is already kind of expensive.

I think the meat industry is getting scared, I've seen a bunch of articles lately with headlines along the lines of "IMPOSSIBLE BURGERS MIGHT TASTE GOOD, BUT ARE THEY HEALTHY????"
Like motherfucker, beef burgers are gonna send most of us to an early grave, how much worse could a fake meat burger be?

I still havent tried one, I might next time I hit up Qdoba though.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

TCD posted:

Oh what the poo poo WaPo - no longer allow incognito mode?

All the lovely local papers I read did the same thing. I'm not paying more money for a single podunk daily than I pay for the WaPo.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

there are days you pray for baby shark

BABY FINGER BABY FINGER WHERE ARE YOU???

:psyduck:

For real, Baby Shark is leagues better than the Indian nursery rhymes and cartoons.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

my apple non phone stuff has usually lasted for loving ever with barely any issues

i still use a core 2 duo macbook pro from 2009 by choice, never had any issues with it and its perfect for what i need it for

My wife has an iPad 2 (7 years old) that still works great and I have a first or second gen iPad air that works great too. I could give or take the phones, I have to use them for work, they are fine, but I wouldn't own a tablet that wasn't an iPad.
Having said that, unless I start flying more frequently, I dont see why I would need to buy a new tablet.

I buy a lot of Chinese junk electronics off of Amazon. Anker headphones and chargers and they are fine for what I use them for, I wouldn't mind some noise cancelling headphones, but I'm not about to spend 300 bucks on a pair.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Mustang posted:

Apple computers? Why?

UI, ease of use, they are the perfect grand parent computer, it would take a lot of work to gently caress one up too bad.

Also, I think the cult of Mac is built on nostalgia, at least as far as computers are concerned. I know personally I had a handful of Apple computers between like 1998 and 2012, and
man, some of those were pretty nice computers.
There was a bunch of indie software that you couldn't get on PC that was pretty great too.
Thanks to so much stuff being developed as web apps and Apple trying really hard to limit software sales to their stupid store, there isn't really a software advantage as far as I can tell, and new machines cost too much $$$, so I haven't seriously looked at one for a while.

A Mac mini might be cool though...

Edit: FireWire ruled for transferring video, and I had an Elgato external card for pirating TV that was pretty dope.

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 9, 2019

bengy81
May 8, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It makes me angry on a lot of levels. Thank gently caress I'm surrounded by all things weed.

The comedy is loving gold though.

The climate change focus group blew me away, because I distinctly remember when the conversation shifted away from "Global Warming."
I'm glad that I was 18 when that election happened, and too young to realize the ramifications of everything that happened, at least during the first term, but holy poo poo does it make you feel helpless in retrospect.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Hi Sarah, have some nightmare fuel!
I dealt with some of this last year while it was unfolding and it has made inspections a blast.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/06/16/porter-hospital-infections-surgical-sterilization-lawsuit/

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Sarah posted:

Holy poo poo.

Of course they are getting away with saying it’s not linked to sterilization because it’s not. It’s linked to decontamination and inspection. I’m sure the sterilizer and indicators are showing parameters were met.

That is a nightmare. One thing I can say about where I work is everyone deeply cares about our patients. The thing about the VA is all of our patients are fragile. We are not sending instruments off to be used on some 19 year old who can recover from a surgical site infection. Imagine surviving combat and coming home, then later on dying from cataract surgery. Or coming home and dying from a vasectomy (a lot of old dudes get snipped it’s weird). It’s loving serious what we do and we know it. We may be working in the god awful heat but those instruments are clean and working in proper order when the lock gets put on.

Man that article makes me mad. gently caress every single person who looked at dirty instruments and said eh gently caress it just push it through.

What's really scary is that's not even the worst facility I've seen. One of the major systems here had a pretty good kill count in 2015, but their legal and PR teams got ahead of it before press got too bad.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Handsome Ralph posted:

Gonna be in Boulder in August for a wedding, anything good around there? Both dispensary and tourist stuff wise. Only gonna have a full day to do my own thing though.

Boulder is fun, depends on what you want to do, pop into the Denver thread for specifics recommendations.
I dont have any food recommendations, haven't really eaten at a great place in Boulder in years.
Bunch of good breweries, Avery is probably my favorite in Boulder, but Left Hand and Oskar Blues are both a short drive into Longmont.

Foothills highway is a good drive, and Nederland is a cool town if you want to see where all the old hippies go to die. There are a bunch of good hikes in Boulder, and just outside of town, just keep an eye out for rattlesnakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

holocaust bloopers posted:

Denver people:

Any recommendations on where to eat or drink in the city? We're probably spending the 4th in the city to avoid the crowd at Rocky Mountain NP.

Ask in the Denver thread, you will get the best food recs there.

For beer, Denver Brewing Co, Great Divide, and Prost are three of my favorite breweries to drink at. Fiction is pretty good too, there is a metal themed brewpub called Black Sky Brewing, been meaning to check it out, but havent had the time; I vaguely remember their beer being good when I tried it at GABF.