Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Poor 2018 BWM thread, thought of paying taxes on trading crypto and died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

this article sucks. i get that the guy's shilling for his dumbass book but even on top of that it's like, offensively bad

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Barry posted:

Worth the price of admission just to be surrounded by a bunch of old rich dudes that are desperate to be parted from their money.

Yeah, think of it as leasing business space to peddle whatever old rich men buy

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

You still wouldn’t come out ahead on a lease like that because moral hazard means anyone using it would 100% be dragging their car through the dirt. The leaser would have some kind of gotcha to protect themselves from getting back a 3 year old Sentra with 300k miles and an engine compartment full of squirrels.

if they lease for three years at that rate and don't even give the car back, you've still made 100% ROI at MSRP

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

But what would the little bobble connect to?

:five:

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I'm actually trying to find numbers on how many people finance engagement rings because I bet it's terrifying

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I’m “Teddy wanted to go out with his friends but he’ll hang out with you, he GUESSES, loser”

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

quote:

If and when I get my suits...
This doesn't seem like something they should waste time worrying about

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Ooh, ground floor.

A highlight from the OP in the comments:

quote:

Yes, the thing is we went to school to be Nurse practitioners so we can live a good life but by the time you deduct my loan bills every month I probably make less than most people. It’s crazy. There has to be some kind of way to not pay some of it and lose my credit

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

All you have to do to keep getting your paycheck is one Zoom conference per week. Can you do it?

Well, that depends, is my work okay with me jerking it on the call or are they a bunch of nazis?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Volmarias posted:

For $3.5m and a "nice" view of central park I'm surprised there's no janitor in there with them, using the bath tub to wash out their mop.

A nice view of Central Park for 3.5m I’m surprised they have a full bath

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

BonerGhost posted:

Mods please

poo poo, it didn’t even register with me

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I mean, they said they’d match what he saved and not what he got through gambling, so giving him 10k seems certainly fair

That said, money is no object? Guillotine

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Cacafuego posted:

Who is McDavid? Never heard of him and even as a casual hockey fan, I had no idea that the Edmonton oilers were still a team.

He’s been one of the two best players on the planet for the past five years, so there’s definitely some justification for this absurd price but also... there’s not at all lmao

Zion Williamson cards have gone for over $100k as well. poo poo’s wild

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

A highlander style movie where a guy with a black lotus card destroys all other black lotuses

I think was the plot of the yu-gi-oh anime

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Counterpoint: MtG could simply reprint all those high value cards and then they would no longer scare new players off from the market.

they actually can't

they bizarrely chose to enter into this legal-ish agreement in 1996 promising to never reprint hundreds of cards explicitly so that they'd hold their value lmao

e: and now that it's severely hamstrung older format popularity, pretty much everyone would be okay if they reneged on that except for a few smaug-rear end motherfuckers sitting on a pile of five-figure cards (also, these cards were produced with 1993's top anti-counterfeit technology, meaning none, and nearly-indistinguishable fakes are on the market. so, there's that)

Spokes fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 21, 2020

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Phanatic posted:

They adopted a policy, they didn't sign a contract. They can unadopt that policy whenever they want.

note: biggest IANAL ever here -- i'm only parroting what i've heard other folks say, but i believe they're concerned about legal action (even frivolous) based on "promissory estoppel". folks invested a lot of money in their collections based on Wizards (now a part of Hasbro) promising that they wouldn't take this action that would cause the value of those collections to go down. Whether they're justified or have merit or whatever is a concern for smarter people than me, but it doesn't really benefit Wizards to remove the policy* and would just cause them potential headaches at best (and if a judge/jury did find them liable, oof).

*aside from making a quick 200k on Secret Lair: Duals or whatever

edit: also this isn't just something they said in magic's infancy, they reiterated it in the 2000s and 2010s. some people are absolutely going to be upset and damaged enough to pursue legal action if they go back on it, even if it's just a very small minority

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

SpelledBackwards posted:

Braking With Microtransactions: You Would Download A Car

It’s a shame we just got a new title, this is primo

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

thekeeshman posted:

Stupid buttcoin question: The people processing the transactions are rewarded with new coins right? So when the limit hits how do they get paid? Or does no one process transactions anymore?

yeah the people wrecking the ozone layer and destroying graphics cards or w/e get a piece of new "blocks" when they're "mined", which is a finite number. They also get a small* amount of any transaction processed, which will continue even after all the coins are "mined".

to "Solve" this "issue" (meaning, to make sure the miners don't take a cut) and also because, lol, bitcoin can only handle a few transactions per second, things like the "lightning network" have been invented, which is where you just pretend you're receiving and sending money and trust that the """"network"""" definitely has your butts if you want it.

*it's like ten dollars now. can you imagine paying ten dollars in transaction fees to buy something

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I don't really have much but the "they said $2000 total" vs "they said $2000 MORE" debate is the absolute worst thing i've had the misfortune to read this year and both sides are so incredibly proud of Gotcha-ing each other. It's certainly Bad With... something

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Fat people take bad vacations, is a take I am not familiar with

lmao yeah that one came out of nowhere

"it makes sense that she would be stupid--fat, and all. you know how they are."

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

WSJ - Rich millennials are rejecting financial advisers: "It's easy to manage $500,000, $1 million yourself"

me: "good, they're right. just hit one of those target date funds and.."

"Michael Martocci, a 26-year-old startup founder, funnels 90% of his money into cryptocurrency"

oh nooooooooooooooo

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

DaveSauce posted:

I like how the takeaway is, "Use a hard wallet."

Instead of, you know, "stop investing money in ponzi schemes."

you just have to get in at the beginning!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Fourier Series posted:

Unless you can buy back another $100 with the same gift card

right, it was this

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Baddog posted:

Hey, lets try to stay away from talking about yourself (and your relationships) in this thread.

Definitely welcome to make a new post if you want to bitch about it. Or even just in general discussion thread.

oh yeah after the last post i definitely wanna see a thread from this dude

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Lending that and expecting to see it back? You are in the right thread

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

i sleep in a racing car

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Baddog posted:

You should definitely have the follow-up question "if you figure 3% real return (over inflation) how many lambos a week could you push off a cliff"

Say a direct copy of the lambo nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of lambos and takes the place of the first lambo.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

quote:

As far as “changing our habits” that got us into debt, $150k of this is from things we won’t be doing again

this was my favorite lie to tell myself when i was getting out of debt lmao. no need to sell anything or examine my habits or return any of my stupid purchases, that's all in the past. i am completely absolved of guilt. we'll simply start from here and everything will be rainbows in the budgeting world

no, idiot. the person who spent the $150k is coming from inside the house. it's you (and your wife, who you apparently hate and definitely vice versa)

definitely considered replying to this thread on reddit to say do NOT loving have a kid lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Kenshin posted:

Well technically he only stole whatever it was worth when it was stolen, not 3 billion

i'm sure the law covers this, but it's a really interesting thing to think about