Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I started playing XIII and i have to say that the Paradigm system feels great, however the entire section where you only have 2 characters per group feels so slow. The system is so much better with 3 characters.

The Sazh and Vanille parts specially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Cardboard Fox posted:

Also, Chrono Cross not being announced. I was one of the dummies that actually believed those internet rumors.

Nah, Chrono Cross was definitely announced :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q4UT99e7VE

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Playing FF13 some more. I just got to the open areas of chapter 11. I don't understand the decision to make the game delete all my paradigms whenever i change my battle team. It's a pain in the rear end to redo everything anytime i feel the need to use someone else (usually Sazh as a synergist, my usual party is Fang/Vanille/Lightning).

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 12, 2021

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

It's also a cute hint that you'll return eventually.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

bowmore posted:

Anything I need to know before starting FF3 on the DS?

It's a good, cute version of the game. Have fun.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, I still don't really want another FFXV. Again; not a story I want in my life anymore.

Sometimes a game is not for you and it's OKAY

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

I love how FF4 would use it's combat mechanics to help tell the story. Rydia doesn't learn fire for a while because she has trauma, Tellah only has 99 MP because he's old and tired, etc. Pretty cool for 1990.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

and Gau is as well implemented as he needs to be.

I mean, i get this complaint. Rage is a bloated mechanic and if you don't use a guide or have the patience to test rages then Gau is way more trouble than he's worth. What are the chances a new player lands on the good stuff like Stray Cat before giving up?

In my first playthrough back in a SNES emulator for PS2 i only used Gau to cast magic.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 4, 2022

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Sabin's special ability being street fighter command inputs is cool as hell and other than Zell I can't remember any other time SE has revisited it.

Auron's Overdrive.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

You'll probably get plenty of use out of the attack command if you use Celes, Locke, or sometimes Terra. Maybe even Shadow.

Or Mog as Dragoon (Jump takes over the attack command right?)

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

tellahs stats go down instead of up when he levels up because he's old and that owns too

gently caress i never noticed this. FF4 is good.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Using an elixir? That's fine now, no problem. What if i need those megalixirs though?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The thing about glowing arrows is that basically every game that has them and isn't a linear line has the option to turn them off. Including them hurts nobody.

I think people are afraid that a game company will get lazy and rely too much on quest arrows without giving the player both options.

To use the example of Morrowind vs Oblivion/Skyrim that was mentioned, Morrowind didn't have quest markers but NPCs would give you directions where to go (and sometimes would be unsure and give you a vague lead). The design of Morrowind backed this and you'd have ways to find out where to go (like road signs and stuff like that). It's totally fine if a mod or remake adds optional quest markers to Morrowind, you lose nothing by turning them off.

Oblivion changed this and made the quest design entirely dependent on quest markers. It's totally acceptable for an NPC in that game to say "Hello Hero of Kvatch. I lost my dog. Can you find it for me?" And nothing else, because a quest marker will pop on the other side of Cyrodiil showing exactly where you need to go. Skyrim follows this. If the player removes quest markers in those games, they are completely hosed. There's nothing else to guide them. Bethesda did not give options to the player, they sabotaged one way of playing in favor of the other.

FFXIV has both types of quests, to bring this back to Final Fantasy. Most work like Oblivion/Skyrim and you are dependent on the markers. And then once upon a time the game will ask you to please pay attention to the dialogue because the next quest demands exploration.

So i think people are afraid because they like free exploration but think Squeenix would be a Bethesda and only support one way of playing.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 5, 2022

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I absolutely get that but it's worth noting that is Bethesda. To use an example of another terrible company, fuckin' Ubisoft has made "You can play the game without any markers" a literal selling point for their last few Assassin's Creed and other games are doing similar. It isn't even about good company vs bad company. It's just depending on how you want to design, and if cookie cutter rear end Asssassin's Creed games can be played that way I don't think it's worth stressing out at the idea of everything being that way. Bethesda just kinda sucks.

Just in the interest of being fair, Bethesda didn't make that change completely out of lazyness. They made the decision that Oblivion would be fully voice acted while also blowing their entire budget on Patrick Stewart and Sean Bean, and removing NPC directions let them cut the number of lines needing to be written and voiced. So uhm, incompetence and lazyness.

But i don't know anything about Assassin's Creed. Did Ubisoft actually make it viable and fun to play the game without markers?

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 5, 2022

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

drat, those look good.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Please let it be a port of Chrono Cross on PC.

ImpAtom posted:

Surprisingly yes. The NPCs tend to give directions that are at least reasonably based on landmarks and stuff and they focus enough on trying to make the areas 'realistic' that you can puzzle things out. You do have the ability to scout with magical eagles of course but that's kinda different from "GO HERE NOW." AC has a lot of problems but at very least if you want to explore a reasonably fun version of an ancient area it does it well.

That's good, i never played those games but sometimes i think about Origins just because roman Egypt is cool setting.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Who wouldn't love le epic random meme octopus. Gonna make some fuckin motivational poster memes later and hit up 9gag

This might be one of the worst posts in the history of this thread.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Cleretic posted:

So... at the point you're at, then you know that the Espers are cool with this. The Magitek Research Facility Espers literally gave themselves to you, that's as morally uncomplicated as it can get.

So did Ramuh. The Espers are all on board with this!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Magicite as a game mechanic comes in really late, huh... comparing that to materia or GFs

It does, and the early game really can be a drag because of it.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Ultros is a poorly written character that was probably shoe horned into the story late in development.

When finished, FFVI PR will completely remove Ultros from the game in favour of a new human character called Iscar Matthias. Iscar is from Judas Iscariot, and Matthias was the apostle chosen to replace him. These names were chosen to be symbolic of the character's betrayal, and change into a valued ally. Iscar will change and grow as a character. At first he will be a simple Gestahlian spy, dedicated to his job, but over time, he will come to understand that he is working for the wrong people and change sides.

He will never stop being a pervert.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 7, 2022

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

The ff2 post game area was some of the worst grinding in the world bc you started with characters with the same stats as when they died so theyd get creamed when you tried the palace. I loving hated it.

Granted i was a child so maybe there was some secret i didnt get back then

No secret, you have to survive with finite resources until you make to the town, and then after that in the palace you eventually find custom made overpowered equipment for everyone that maxed your stats and trivializes the combat.

It's grindy and sucks without a map, but it's short and the idea of that content was cool at least. I'll still take it over the side content for 1 or 4.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 7, 2022

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Oh my god it comes bundled with Radical Dreamers.

Don't get me wrong, i love Chrono Cross, but i have no idea how this is happening.

PC version when though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAYm63AT0V4

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

it will be on everything.

That's good. I hope CC gets some love from the modding community.

But also, Square Enix, give us an HD-2D remake of Trigger.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

IX is actually a good game

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

They could release the Original Iso and it would already look better than Moguri

I just empty quoted you and then you make this bizarrely wrong post!

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

They did remove FF1's peninsula of power.

Boooooooo

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

They decreased exp needed to level however.

In fact they reduced the grind in most PR

I never even used the Peninsula of Power, but it was a cool oddity in the game.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

My picks for starting FF: 1, 3, 4 or 5. They are all simple and short, and 3 and 5 have the job system. 5 is a fan favorite here in SA.
From 7 onwards they become 50+ hour games so unless you're prepared for a longer game i don't recommend them as a first pick.
If you are though. Then 9 and 10 are my recommendations.

FF1 - Pixel Remaster or PS1 (for a difficulty curve closer to the original).
FF2 - Pixel Remaster or GBA (if you want to do the post game dungeon).
FF3 - Pixel Remaster
FF4 - Pixel Remaster
FF5 - Pixel Remaster
FF6 - GBA with the SNES Sound Patch applied. Maybe Pixel Remaster when it's out.
FF7 - PC/PS4
FF8 - PS1
FF9 - PC/PS4
FF10 - X and X-2 Remastered
FF12 - The Zodiac Age

FF13 and 15 have no remasters (i think?)

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 13, 2022

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

every final fantasy character is worth dying for

Edge? Vincent? Kimahri?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

I can't make an objective mechanical breakdown of 4e years later like this, but i can say it was absolutely a terrible match for me and my group. The extensive list of abilities and effects made every character creation a chore and relatively simple battles could take hours because we would try to plan every round for maximum effectiveness.

So i'm not saying that it's bad, but it turned even the most relaxed members of the group intro tryhard min maxers. Comparatively, 5e has been a chill experience.

4e had a great character creation app though.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Dancing Mad is a little too much, but the third part, when you actually fight Kefka, is a top 3 FF final boss music.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

I'm currently going through Stormblood in FFXIV and Hien has a banging remix of Cyan's theme. It also took me until then to remember that Doma was also a place in VI.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Ziddar posted:

'Remix' might be a bit of a stretch, but XIV's arrangement of Cyan's theme is pretty great. Plays very close to the original, mostly with cleaner instrumentation and a bit more flourish to it.

Yeah, my bad, i said remix when i meant arrangement. Didn't realize that Kaien = Cyan too. This is cool.

And complaining that Biggs and Wedge die at the opening of VI like that's a problem with the narrative instead of fitting perfectly is some lazy nitpicking. Like, i don't want to be negative towards someone experiencing the game for the first time but you can separate "this is bad" from "i don't like this personally".

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

final fantasy 6 owns actually

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Those changes to Castrum and Praetorium sound good, they absolutely suck for a new player.

Let me tell you about not realizing you have to pick up the Magitek key before going up the elevator and being stuck alone for the next 5 minutes, missing the most fun part of that dungeon.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

I'll grant Caius but c'mon, Kefka did much more damage than Yu Yevon. Beyond killing so many people and bombarding entire settlements, moving landmasses around probably badly affected animal and plant life, plus i always got the impression that the land itself became sickly, WoR is very rocky wasteland and sickly yellow grass everywhere. So i imagine agriculture isn't doing so good as well.

Yes, he didn't stay active for as long but it's not hard to convince yourself that Kefka hosed civilization for centuries, maybe thousands of years with his stunts. Yu Yevon and Sin killed people but they never did that kind of damage to the land itself (Even the calm lands are very verdant)

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 19, 2022

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yu Yevon took a world that had airships, television, cars, skyscrapers and giant robots capable of blowing up the universe and destroyed it so hard that they went back to riding chocobos and living in straw huts. Yuna even straight up says that villages don't get much bigger than Kilika because Sin will show up and destroy them if they do. And he'd been doing this for thousands of years.

Yu Yevon absolutely destroyed Spira harder than Kefka did to FFVILand.

Yeah but my point is that the land itself seems fine in Spira, it's human civilization only that suffers. Meanwhile i always got the impression that if Kefka kept ruling the WoR would look like 2300 AD in Chrono Trigger. He's a blight on the planet itself.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Not sure what i think about the voice opera, but hey, i don't like the spritework for most of these PRs either and mods can fix everything i might want.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

I also assume a lot of people will want the option to hear the singing in a language other than the one used for the text.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Great:

Good:
10-2

Bad:

Haven't played/finished (yet?):
Tactics, 11, 13(-2, LR), 15, 7R

Don't feel like ranking it with the rest but it's very good:

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Did they fix that bug in VI where you can start from the beginning keeping your stats?