Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
the pirate comic is good, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Plutonis posted:

Do you think Robin keeps sewing cute clothes for him while they sail from island to island

She keeps trying, but they always turn out lumpy and weird kinda like Kanjuro's lovely drawings, which just makes the effect even better.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
Man made horrors beyond my comprehension island, sweet.

My money is on Vegapunk being some kind of android or drone. Between the weird oldtimey speaking translator note and what looks like 'PUNK 02' on the shirt, it seems fishy.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
It would be very funny if Lucci decides to try to stealthily take out all the Vegapunks after he learns Luffy is on the island, which in turn leads him into being Caribou'd

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Stuffed inside a barrel?

Stuffed inside a barrel and carted around as an exposition dump or way to tie in to other plots for a few years, yeah :v:

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm just noticing it now, but what is that thing sticking from the back? A tail?

The sheep ears also make a supremely funny contrast.

On one hand I'm not sure how I feel about a disease that transes your genner and the implications of it, but also fe-malady is incredibly funny so I think I'm gonna give it a pass.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
Maybe this is a silly thing to be bugged by after a thousand chapters, but has anyone else felt like the fan service has really been accelerating lately? I don't watch the anime but I've heard that it always goes over the top. This chapter, specifically that one pose from Bonney when she's talking about her dad, gave me real Western comics vibes. Who was that one artist who would always draw women in ridiculous contortions if you did anything more than glance at them? That kinda vibe was what struck me.

Still a really good chapter overall. I'm glad Law's crew is earning their keep too. Being particularly good at fighting on the sea and the sentiments against devil fruits totally fits with the submarine ship and explains why they have always felt ignorable on land. For a story about pirates, we've really had remarkably few fights at sea.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Bisse posted:

Was that Boichi from Dr Stone maybe?

Also super excited to meet a Daft Punk next chapter

No this is the only manga I read. This was the spider woman I had in mind at least, but I barely read western comics too so I have no idea what it's from and I'm too lazy to track it down.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Tampa Bae posted:

Thanks, now I'm getting a headache thinking about Kizaru and Foxy

You know what? gently caress you! refracts your devil fruit powers

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Can't read Poneglyphs? Better Call Saul

:sludgepal:

1066 Honestly I think a couple things are going on here. Vegapunk, turbo genius that he is, didn't put 2 and 2 together about Ohara until after he had read all the entire contents of the library and came to the same conclusion. Even if Dragon suspects the books are important, it would be incredibly unlikely that he knew why. Vegapunk could have maybe filled him at some point, it's not really clear when he read all of these books but it would obviously take time and one of two things has to be true. He either recently finished his theory and didn't poke his nose around subtly enough, which is why the government suddenly wants to kill the only guy keeping them a step ahead of the pirates. Or he's been sitting on this for a while and the government only just found out. Personally I think it's the former, just because it makes more sense that the government is panicking and tries to carpe the diem by sending one of their top hitters into Wano for an opportunistic shot at Luffy and/or Robin.

Also as a bunch of other people have pointed out, Dragon is just kind of Like That. I guess living your life on the run won't exactly make you much of a sharer. By the time Rogue One rolled around, Saw Guerara was pretty hosed up mentally and physically, Dragon doesn't even have a hentai tentacle truth detector to put his mind at ease.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

gently caress yes

Devil fruits really are spiral power

The collective will of people wishing for freedom is manifesting in Luffy

I love it

I really like how it dovetails in with all the other inherited wills themes too. Luffy is an incredibly creative martial artist, but he has that power backed up and amplified by the wishes of people all over the world whereas many of the other characters we see are carrying on the passions of their parents or mentors. Also it's not in like some hacky spirit bomb type deal. I assume that if Luffy for whatever reason experienced a personality shift and turned into another tyrant, that force multiplier would either vanish or be greatly diminished. It would be really easy to write it as just another Chosen One trope, but it works here for me because it's specifically several things coming together in the right time and place.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
THIN QUEEN! Now we have empirical evidence that he would be too popular. What's up with the flaming hair though? Or is it just like an artful scruffy mohawk and I'm dumb.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Eiba posted:

I think it's a real lack of imagination to think the only reason he could be covering for a twin is for the purpose of a "lazy gotcha twist". From the earliest time we've seen Blackbeard he's had a particular ambition and a particular way of pursuing it. He's been after the Darkness fruit since before the earliest moment we've seen him. There's gotta be a reason for that. "It just suits me" would be a much less interesting development than him having some sort of specific plan we don't know about yet, possibly related to something the Rocks Pirates.

It doesn't have to be twins, but "he's just a weird dude" is not at all satisfying or in line with how Oda sets things up. There definitely is more to explore in Blackbeard's background that will give context to those quirks, and that's really exciting. If it's twin shenanigans, I'm sure it won't just be twin shenanigans. There's a ton of room for a compelling, bizarre backstory for Blackbeard. Of all the characters in this manga, I'm sure Oda's got a good story for this guy.

I think it's also got to tie in with the Devil Fruit lore we are starting to get. He's one of the few people to have read the encyclopedia of devil fruits iirc and has been set up as a master opportunist who can also work towards long term goals. Like if you know you have the personality type to really master a certain fruit, the context that makes a particular fruit powerful against other DF users and possibly some weird mutation to put yourself over the line then it's an engineered perfect storm of destruction.

Tldr I think people get way to caught up in the weird body thing and miss the forest for the trees.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
I generally can ignore quippy dialogue if it's even somewhat more thought out than "well THAT just happened" stuff. But it just feels kinda wrong coming out of Luffy's mouth. If Usopp had said that I don't even think I would have noticed beyond maybe a polite, bemused chuckle at the in sync response.

It does make sense to me on a meta level why they would make that choice though. Luffy's primary conversation settings are Meat and Adventure so if you want to give your lead actor some more lines you've got to go somewhere with it.

Also I don't really mind Nami in this? I think a lot of people are glossing over that she's a bit standoffish and planning to rob the rest of the crew at the first opportunity in the run up to Arlong Park. I'm hoping that once we hit that episode she can open up a bit more into the only sane person keeping the crew from drowning.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
Posting this trailer at the start of a 4 week break is either a violation of the Geneva convention or the greatest possible gift. We are lined up for a solid month of dissecting every frame of this and arguing about Stuff My Uncle Who Works At Nintendo told me about producing a television series. Goda strikes again with his excellent planning.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Agreed title sucks

:emptyquote:

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Eiba posted:

I'm very curious about what people who aren't fans think of this strange pirate fantasy.

I'm glad it's got fan approval, and I'm very much looking forward to enjoying the rest of this season, but I'd be shocked if it even got a second season unless it finds significant appeal outside of existing fans of the manga.

I watched it with my partner who tried the anime but couldn't get into it. We've only watched the first episode so far but we both loved it.

Nihilarian posted:

I am begging netflix to just have Chopper be a muppet. I promise it will look better and less expensive than whatever else they plan.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
Finished the live action version last night. I think I liked this version of Syrup Village more than the original, but I couldn't help missing Jango. Is he basically superfluous to the plot? Sure, but he's just such a dumb bit that I would have loved to see again. Michael Jackson impersonator slash hypnotist who also hypnotizes himself half the time sets the weirdo curve early.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

DizzyBum posted:

OPLA: Hachi is actually the fishman with the spiky hair playing cards with Nami. I missed this and had to look it up. He's there, but he's heavily redesigned and doesn't seem to be an octopus fishman (at least, not overtly).

further OPLA I wonder if it was really just a fishman budget issue, I didn't bother to scour the crowd scenes or anything but all of them seemed to be the basic humanoid two arms and two legs template.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
He's just some guy, you know?

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Raspberry Bang posted:

Would love to see special edition hardcovers like what Dark Horse did with Berserk. I would rebuy the whole series.

Same, starting a physical collection of One Piece was on my list after I finish Berserk. The volumes are pricy but nice quality and they look amazing on a shelf. Hell even a non-gimmick version of that super long one volume thing with continuous art down the side could be great.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Waffleman_ posted:

Would Chopper prescribe medical marijuana or is he straight edge

"is Chopper straight edge" – the greatest thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after 12,239 pages of heated debate,

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
I was halfway through writing that Sanji wouldn't smoke because it would ruin his sense of taste and make him a worse chef, then I remembered.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

YggdrasilTM posted:

I also don't care about Brook, so there's that.

Ironic how the musician is the most one note character on the crew.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Gyges posted:

I could be forgetting, but I don't think Robin made any jokes or gave more than an amused smile before Luffy ordered the flag set on fire. After that when she was finally freed from the paranoia of everyone always turning on her, and to some extent also exorcising the ghost of the Buster Call, she finally came out of her shell.

If she even refers to anyone on the crew by name it's exceedingly rare up until the end of Skypiea at minimum, preferring to use their roles on the ship. It's been ages since I've done a reread so I might be a bit off here but it was always one of the things that really stood out to me.

Also I like Brook I just couldn't pass up a good zinger :sparkles:

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
So Kuma is also part Lunarian or something yeah? There was an offhand comment from Bonney saying he wasn't exactly human but I'm not really sure in what regard. It would maybe explain where Vegapunk got Lunarian stuff for the Seraphim but Kuma doesn't really have that same coloration so I don't know what to think.

It's wild how a series can run for this long and still get better with every chapter :tviv:

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

anime was right posted:

i think hes a D

iirc the word wasnt the equivalent of "race" but like "group of people"

my thought is he traded his life to save his kingdom. why would the celestial dragons care about who/what he was unless it was something that was a threat to them? i guess he could have been a lunarian, but he doesnt have any of the hallmarks of it

Kuma D Tyrant.

Fair enough, I just hear something about being not-quite human and jump right to Lunarian at this point since it seems like such an interesting development that hasn't really gone anywhere yet.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
Could someone kindly tl;dr (or point to one) what a Figarland is exactly for those of us who haven't watched the movies?

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Nodosaur posted:

I’m sorry I haven’t been reacting lately. I’ve been sick and tired and not in the mood to read or post.

Feel better bud, the pirate comic will still be there tomorrow

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Electric Phantasm posted:

consider bonnie and luffy being siblings

it would certainly give a lot more depth to Saobody. Although that also can just be chalked up to Kuma's early fascination with Nika.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

tbp posted:

is there a chance blackbeard is a buccaneer? he and kuma have similar features

Maybe but I think he's more interesting as a regular human who's a contrast to Luffy both physically and emotionally. Namely Luffy is physically small and impulsive where Blackbeard is much larger (lol compared to size creep of others though) and opportunistic but a schemer.

I don't think it would weaken the overall story to the point it drives anyone off but I am super done with MaGiCaL SpEcIaL GiRl BlOoDLiNeS as a post hoc explanation for why characters pull things off.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

No Wave posted:

We know blackbeard doesnt have a normal body. That and the never sleeping is almost all we know.

Man it's time for me to reread everything cause that's the second Obvious Thing I Should Have Remembered in one chapter :cripes:

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
Honestly a hard cut to Berserk level detail and gore for maybe... two pages while the Celestial Dragons get their comeuppance would be an incredible bit. It wouldn't ever happen, but man would it rock.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
Good chapter, still unsure how the best boy in the world will end up with a moniker like the tyrant after this.

I can only assume that he will end up on the throne and have to do something horrible to meet the tribute while acting as cover for the revolutionary army.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Eiba posted:

The Decks of the World retro-shichibukai edition was fun. I wonder what Kuma is doing at Fusha Village. There's not a lot of room for significant things in Luffy's backstory at this point. Did the World Government somehow find out about the gum-gum fruit? Maybe Fusha is a fake out and we're about to learn how Sterry became king of Goa.

Do we know if Shanks was sitting on the Gum Gum fruit for a while between stealing it and Luffy eating it? Either way he was definitely based on that area for a time given the comments about being the last time they can visit in the very first chapter.

e: nvm thought we were further in the past than we are

ragnarokette fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 29, 2023

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
One Piece Manga Thread: Toei WIT, there will be four concurrent versions of franchise at once

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
It has been 0 weeks since Oda made me tear up at work

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
Fishman Island also had the terrible luck to be right after an incredibly hype midpoint of the series into a historically long break and anticipation of all the new crew designs.

Anyways I know Chopper's old hat is just under a hood or something in his new design but it's always kind of bugged me that he would gently caress with Hiriluk's hat. It would be like Luffy coming back with feathers in his cap (and perhaps insisting on macaroni)

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Last Celebration posted:

…man, you ever think about how Luffy arm thrusted Wapol so hard he literally sent him flying to another island? He really must have been built different to survive that poo poo even if he’s not New World level.

He's got that weird metal jaw thing going on, same as the marine from like chapter 2. I always wonder if that's just a thing Oda thought was cool or if there's some story there. Either way I feel like getting the Baron Underbeit operation implies a pretty hard dude. You either survive an injury that takes your jaw off or just do it for style points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

tbp posted:

i thought manga was just cartoons. i've called all my favorite anime/mangas as cartoons/comics forever

Same but I mostly do it to annoy nerds