Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

S.J. posted:

Alternately, if you're like me, you don't want to play Zealot at all unless you have a chain weapon of some sort.

I love my chainaxe, my chainaxe loves me.

It took me WAY too long to find this thread by the way god drat, joined the discord at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Hate doing scans with pugs. Nowhere near the scan site, let the grim holder die, then get pounced by two dogs.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I think having missions not have the exact same path to run every time would have helped a fair bit, but I'm not surprised that people who have everything at 30 already have dropped the game.

I really didn't follow much of the development of the game (stopped doing that ages ago in general to avoid disappointment :v:) and I've been having a blast just being in the levels and seeing my favourite setting in the flesh so-to-speak, so I'm quite happy with my moneys worth as it is.

What's the overall concerns people are having with DT because I'm genuinely oblivious of everything but the missing crafting system, and I don't think the few bugs that pop-up would cause *that* much outrage.

Though my one pet-peeve is not having keybinds to pop into all the various vendors and mission select like in VT2, c'mon the bridge isn't that interesting to jog around.

e: Okay and the lacklustre story so far, where is Dan Abnett's stuff because it sure as hell wasn't in the cutscenes with the rando zealot. :nsamad:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Compared to VT2 the meta-game wrapper surrounding the minute to minute gameplay is dogshit.

- getting new items is way worse
- mission rewards are terrible
- lack additional class builds to unlock
- inability to keep a pub group together after you finish a run
- mission hub is both unnecessary and creates additional friction to getting in a match
- crafting/upgrading system is unfinished/sucks
- the missions all feel very same-y and they lack the big, setpiece missions with boss battles that VT2 has. I mean, yeah, you've got that one guy in the train station / prison but it's the same boss and VT2 has a lot more of them.

Ok those are valid complaints, but I swear I see the option to vote to merge strike teams, unless that got removed recently.

e: also please combine character inventories and currencies please 😭

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Fishstick posted:

Have you played Vermintide 2?

I'm not assking so I can go "lol you dont know anythign" - but if you do the difference is night and day. If you play V2 after darktide, other than the mix of ranged/melee and the Toughness mechanic, V2 is better in every single way (crafting, progression, stability, player agency, mission selection and choice, career uniqueness, build variety within careers, etc), and its hard to believe that Darktide is in fact the third game, not the second.

And Vermintide 2 already wasn't in the best state, so it's a pretty low bar.

For me it's the performance and stability - I'm on an i5 13600k with an RTX3070 and I can barely manage 60fps without stutters, even though I can see none of my resources are being used close to 100% - even on lowest settings I cant get a stable non stuttery framerate. During beta I was on an i7700k and it wasnt much better, and I crashed once or twice every single mission. It's down to one or two per hour but the random crashes are still the main reason I don't bother playing.

I did, and I remember people complained about V2 when it launched too, but again I didn't really experience the issues. I don't really agree with V2 being better with crafting, I basically didn't touch that at all and didn't really get it to be honest. Not sure what you mean about player agency? Mission selection I suppose in that the levels were all quite different (ignoring Act 2 where 3 of the 4 felt quite similar visually) but I'd say they've done a great job in Darktide getting some visual variety for the 40K setting (limited to a hive city no less) which is usually depicted in much the same style. Hopefully the plan they have is to have the war spread through the system, maybe we'll get jungle settings or some poo poo who knows.

I've ironically had way more crashes with V2 than Darktide, since the beta I've crashed maybe once in launch and that was from my drivers crashing rather than the game. I'd say the 4 different classes in Darktide are as unique as the 5 different characters in V2 at launch.

What resolution are you playing at? I'm getting a solid +90 fps at 3440x1440 with a 3080 10GB and 5900X (ray-tracing off as a recent update makes the game stutter after a while with RT).

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Just learned that none of the V2 voice actors voice any of the player voices, but I swear I hear Bardin in one of the Ogryn and Vet voices, Saltzpyre in a zealot voice, Sienna in a psyker voice, Kerillian in like psyker, zealot, and veteran, and Kruber in the vets. What the gently caress. :psyduck:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

thebardyspoon posted:

The thing that's crazy to me is there's even stuff that we know did work that they could presumably re-enable to at least give it a bit more variety right? They have the lights out modifier and then there was another one that made everything foggy/misty, ventilation purge I think it was called? Not a huge thing but it'd be something at least. Instead it's just been dogs, dogs, dogs for weeks. I'd assume that'd be something they wouldn't need patches for, it'd just be an autorunning thing that cycles but apparently not?

I really miss those, but apparently both got a ton of complaints? Power outage was atmospheric as gently caress, the glowing eyes :discourse: Reminded me of the mines mission in V2.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

boredsatellite posted:

Lights out while fun made the difficulty basically one higher from what i felt

Pubs couldnt handle it and not having easy light sources on weapons made it frustrating for a lot of people.

Hell you got more daemonhost spawns just to top it off

:sickos:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I missed lights out, ran four back-to-back, so much hectic and immersive fun I love this game.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Accurate dog behaviour tbh.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The devs absolutely beefed it releasing in this state and then going on vacation for six weeks. if there had been a January 1 update saying “we know people are really unhappy with the loot system, we plan to add X feature and hope to have it done by Y date even though we may miss it, we’ll update you as we work” then there would be a lot less ire

Yes devs should crunch more. :nallears:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Enjoy posted:

Making a single announcement isn't really very crunchy...

I have more issues about the outrage that they went on holiday to spend time with families and recover from the past year of making the game.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

edgar_ posted:

For the millionth time no one is complaining about their vacation or demanding crunch, but people are rightfully annoyed that they launched an unfinished game *right before* going on a planned long vacation and then going completely dark.

But also this pattern is exactly in Fatshark’s wheelhouse so at this point it’s shame on us for expecting better

?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Nah it's definitely a finished game IMO.

Qmass posted:

ijyt, you are being a fuckwit and everyone thinks less of you every time you post

Better a fuckwit than lumped in with the entitled gamer crowd that have no concept of publisher deadlines, and generally the business side of videogames.

If no-ones complaining the went on holiday why do they keep bringing it up, would honestly prefer your lot stick to complaining in the scheduled darktide tweet comment section, or reddit.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

The way it's planned sounds like you destroy an item to get one of its blessings to place on another item, so yeah you still need to get the blessing you want which might take a few hours or a couple days if you didn't grab it from the shop while leveling, but then that weapon is effectively "done" and there's no reason to keep playing long-term to chase better gear (outside of getting that final 1% performance out of a perfect roll or whatever), whereas right now you can get a fairly steady drip of progression over time as you keep finding new weapons to try out for a while.

The reason to play the game is because its fun, not because number goes up, surely.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

lol

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Hey finally they said something!!! Imagine if they dropped this in January... Now where is the community update with actual changes?!?!

Though I'm a bit sad they are also dumping the seasonal content for now...

It's still January :haw:

Though I was looking forward to the cosmetics refresh, ah well.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Typical Pubbie posted:

They're gonna have to scrap the current loot system. Sure, being able to change or upgrade blessings will reduce the grind, but then what? It's still dull and uninspired. It was a huge mistake not to rip off COD.

The gently caress lol. The gameplay is anything but dull, no-one wants a CoD clone while CoD exists.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

lol it took them two months after launch to make an announcement to acknowledge the fact that they hosed up the launch

i get that people are going to react with "finally some communication" but this isn't actually anything.

:rolleyes: gamers truly are the worst

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

truther posted:

32.5 hours.

Longer than I expected, but I still feel ripped off as those 32 hours were spent with the expectation it would lead to something. Plus it was purchased under the promise of crafting being completed in December. I mean, we're not even getting the live-service content they promised for x number of months so I honestly think Fatshark don't deserve to keep people's money. They lied to sell the game and almost 2 months later they still can't say when those features will appear.

keep it to reddit thx

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

hey im genuinely glad you enjoy the game. i want you to know that other people being frustrated with it doesn't mean you're bad or wrong for liking it, even though it feels that way sometimes and makes you want to lash out.

hey theres other games to play if you don't like darktide as it is in its current state, it's very unhealthy to keep winding yourself up and getting angrier about a video game on a forum! Maybe even vermintide 2 woah.

People ITT unironically need to touch grass.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i'm curious as to why you seem to be so personally upset that people don't like the game. i'd tell you to go find some other forum where people are more positive about it but there aren't any. you could start a "nice posts only" discord for it or something?

I know goons think they're like, the cool kids of the internet with these "wow gonna get 'em so good with this snide gotcha post" but the reason we're all on this forum is because it's full of other socially inept nerds.

I'm really sorry that you're uncomfortable with people having a good time with the game and being tired of seeing the same complaint regurgitated over and over, hope you heal.

Maybe you can start a support group where you can rile each other up more and more or whatever gets you stimulated idk. Get a little positivity in your life, you'll feel better lol.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Mendrian posted:

... unfortunately that kind of discussion can and should dominate until the game is in a better place.

Not really though, because there's no way Fatshark is reading SA lol. They'll be reading their forums, Steam rating, maybe Reddit, and the feedback survey.

All this discussion does is let the people who think they're fighting some big bad to feel better about their (over the top tbh) outrage when they see others agree with it.

There's nothing to engage in because those people are dug in and absolutely know they are right and any opposite opinion is trolling, shitposting, or a fatshark plant (loving :lol:). If this one game they've stopped playing is all they can really focus on, they have either way too much time on their hands or need to expand their horizons because the time would be spent so much better playing anything else.

Use the open letter as a basis to refund the game and get it on sale in a year or something.

And before someone says "it'll keep people stumbling into the thread and buying the game and getting disappointed". Pretty sure the negative rating will do that just fine.

Yes it sucks that you're not happy with your purchase, yes you probably want to vent, but it's been done ad nauseum. However lol at "I only bought the game because I expected a crafting system".

Otherwise,

ijyt posted:

keep it to reddit thx

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

goon selective reading comprehension at work I see

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

I knew the Crucian Roulette nerf was coming, but it is a bummer that it takes out one of the few unique play styles the game has right now. And I really loved using to Atrox axe, but honestly it's just way too much clicking. I'm not sure why I had no problems with Kerillian's sword/dagger combo. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Only just got CR the other day too which is a little annoying, though the revolver packs such a punch that I can't really let it go. Plus hip firing during sprint is too fun.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Man, I've got the same issue with the difficulties in this game as VT2, the jump from Malice to Heresy seems way higher than the jump from Heresy to Damnation, and neither seem great if you don't have a full team on comms. Even just one wandering pug puts you in perils.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

sushibandit posted:

maybe steal elements of Warframe's contributor program for this?

This would be great and needs to be in more games, especially considering how many creatives are into 40K.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

litany of gulps posted:

I was thinking about that class of weapons and how it might look. I was a huge fan of the Space Marine game, where they functioned like a directional vaporization weapon with limited ammo and a cooldown. I guess in a lot of ways the plasma gun takes on that role. What's the difference in other versions of the 40k universe?

Meltas are short range and for taking out vehicles, so doesn't really have a role the plasma gun can't already do in DT. Plus it'd introduce "why isn't my melta leaving holes in the level"

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Chain/Powersword with offhand Boltpistol would be a really cool addition in either slot IMO, would make me a lot more willing to take something like a plasma gun or thunderhammer if I had a reliable fallback.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

After years of games not syncing up ragdoll physics in MP, I'm still tickled whenever a friend hoots and hollers when a scab goes cartwheeling across their field of view from a power weapon hit.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Enjoy posted:

How would a heavy weapon like that be balanced? Something like the Ogryn's heavy stubber where it slows movement and has to be spun up to fire?

IIRC on the tabletop they're modelled with a back-worn powerpack, with the gun cabled up to it. I could see one option as giving it a reasonably high capacity but not have it be reloadable during the mission. Once you're out, you're out until you RTB.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

So, it looks like Darktide's release was a typical fatshark release? Buggy, unbalanced, still fun at the core of the game but with some stuff that will annoy people at different levels depending on jank tolerance?

E: also the eviscerator looks fun as gently caress.

Pretty much! Eviscerator is good but the Chainaxe just has a particular feel to it that makes it very... meaty. Hope we get a two-handed version :allears:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I was gonna buy this game (darktide, that is) and then i saw that steam reviews are "mostly negative" with people making GBS threads on it all over the place. So I figured I'd ask here for a sanity check...

As a 40K fan, there is so, so much to love. It's frankly the best game in the 40K setting, bar none. The atmosphere, the visuals, the sound-design, the lore-friendly chatter, the weapon behaviour. It's all spot on.

The negative reviews are mostly complaining about missing features such as crafting, certain bugs (which affect some people more than others, I've had no crashes, a friend crashes every other session), and the slow release of content. There's some divisive design decisions as well which different people have different tolerance levels of.

Judging by your username, I don't think you'd be disappointed in the slightest. However, the story that Dan Abnett helped pen is seemingly absent at the moment, and the current content feels more like a prologue in one of his books.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 29, 2023

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I think all the class personalities are great. The same repeated stories in VT2 got grating. "Elf? ELF? EEEELLLLLFFFF!"

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

green circle chasers :vomarine:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Pharmaskittle posted:

they gotta bring back dice rolling at the end of rounds, I don't even care what it gives me I just want the dice

I did a few missions of VT1 and forgot how much of it I prefer over VT2. Something much more charming about it, or perhaps it's Saltzpyre's 78 pistols strapped to his entire person.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

:nsamad:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Mendrian posted:

I'm a little disappointed and surprised that the community feels like it's crystalized around Malice. It's not a big deal on weekends but during troughs you really feel it.

Malice to me feels easier than VT2's Champion difficulty, which is where that community sort of settled. Granted, there was like a year long period of 'speed run Veteran' and maybe that's where we are now. Malice is incredibly easy by level 30, it's basically a free victory outside of the odd really terrible group that can't handle a High Intensity or whatever.

Malice seems to be the upper limit for my group of 3 too, Heresy and Damnation just can't happen for us :(

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Legit Businessman posted:

Grinding contracts on all 4 characters leads to madness. The system is badly designed, agreed. Engaging with a bad system is just going to lead to you burning out on the game.

Would be very happy with a unified weeklies system. Keep the stores and inventory different for each character if they must but I can barely find the time for finishing one set of contracts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

Why can't loot just drop from enemies as you're playing? Give me loot piñatas

Love nothing more than seeing party members stop mid-wave to stare at the floor and consider whether to pick up the trash that just fell out of the thing they hit.