Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

hoping that bubble keeps going baybee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Shame Boy posted:

google should just have someone you can email and they go find the website you want for you in google's card catalog

Pizza website? Let me call my Mancierge

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d4WrPkKc2Wg

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

fart simpson posted:

i have a confession guys. the present craziness is my fault, specifically

fart simpson you rat, how could you give your own puter touchers the ol' spicy bubble pop, fart

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

fart simpson posted:

nice whataboutism

you have exclusive rights to that gimmick, enforce it

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

refleks posted:

yeah its like a goddamn Benetton ad when you look at wall street banks...

thats why Bloomberg did a frontpage about the changing of the guard at GS that looked like this:

where the other guy (right) in the running looked like this:

business eggs

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Achmed Jones posted:

something tells me that bdid looked up global bank failure rate and that he's not at much risk

if only he was head of svb at the time

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

what are these people on lol

the internet. awful i know

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

fart simpson posted:

gotta love "we have to protect the children! unless you sell the service to an american company"

duh who else is better at protecting children but america

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

tired: nodejs
wired: chodejs

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

infernal machines posted:

a screaming suicide machine that will eventually get old enough to spend all your money

leave jonny's miata out of this

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Breaker breaker, this is Big Vagina, over.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Improbable Lobster posted:

You have surpassed Vagina and earned the title of Big Vagina

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

This is so yesteryear, where are the fgirls

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Eeyo posted:

i'm guessing the kids just do tiktoks now or something.

are memes boomer now too?

they are if you call them memes, daddy-o. kids are calling them POVs now

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

219 baby

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Beeftweeter posted:

*scans eyeball*

ai: yeah sure whatever i guess that looks like an eyeball. access granted

Access denied

> Actually it’s access granted

Yes, my apologies for getting that wrong, it’s access granted.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

shag bus in the making

dead in the water. Shaggar's performers are going to be required to be all micro and soft

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

i flick switches all on my dick and erry day
tasing on my balls
shockin on my balls

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

fart simpson posted:

vpn is software

prove it

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

mystes posted:

arguing over whether it's reasonable to combine two things into an arbitrarily defined label is possibly the most pointless argument

cereal with milk is SOUP fight me mf

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

MononcQc posted:

social media is like trying to monetize a bar or a cafe where you don’t serve anything but ads and maybe peanuts so who knows why it’s not going great right now

its like a bar or a cafe where the main draw is that you get to sit with friends together or maybe even strangers, and slowly people forgot they could hang out in their own homes

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

I'd probably have to read the official docs a lot more and I'd be better for it

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

FMguru posted:

defector has an article up about the current redditpocalyspe and the final paragraph nicely summarized a lot of what this thread has talked about over the last dozen pages

https://defector.com/the-last-page-of-the-internet

This was a thought I've had rattling around in my head for a while and I never did put it down or elaborate on it, so I'm glad this article did it for me. It's the cycle man, we're inevitably going back to word of mouth invite-only communities, maybe even reinvent webrings after that. We're probably going to have to unlearn the need for quick info and answers, and go back to the actual source: real people with real knowledge, whether they're pros or hobbyists.

I'd almost say that the future is Discord - spend hours hunting down the servers that cater to your interests (where entry might require you to actually talk to people and have them point you in the right direction), read through and get to know the main names in there, and organically become part of a community where you give and take. I say almost, because it seems Discord's in its own enshittification process, so who knows, maybe we should go back to PHP forums.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

letting people show up to standup as anime or furry characters

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Shame Boy posted:

that just reminded me lol, one contractor dude who only worked with us for maybe two weeks showed his screen at one point to demonstrate a problem he was having in the IDE, and he had installed a bunch of really weird IDE plugins including one that put this particular anime girl all over the ui including a big semitransparent one in the corner of the editor window. showing this to business people didn't phase him at all, it was like it wasn't even there to him.

i later found out that was the titular little sister from the anime where the little sister can't possibly be this cute, which made it so much worse

lol was his cursor a little sword too?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

*runs up and checks the mic, turns it on for u*

[distant, not fully in shot of the mic] there you go chief, sorry

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Yep I think I've mentioned it before in this thread, but if the internet does get overrun by LLM detritus and ads to the point where its one function is gone, any "information exchange" is going to have to happen in private internets and right now that seems to be Discords, and the renaissance of non-searchable, non-indexed info, aka, talking to people, word of mouth spread, and invite-only communities. It requires a fundamental shift from the expectations we have today of easy and instant access to answers, back to recognizing people as the source.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

infernal machines posted:

mike pondsmith was prescient

Well Discord still uses THE internet to function, but yeah, don't actually try to use it directly or you'll be torn to shreds by the light-speed spam barrage of bots trying to scam other bots

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Captain Foo posted:

the internet isn’t the world wide web

whatever sir tim berners-PEE

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

PIZZA.BAT posted:

the only way i can see the world wide web coming back is if a new search engine somehow is able to collect the manpower to validate and curate reputable sites by hand to ensure their indexes sites are firewalled from The Great Contagion™ but there's no way that's ever happening

Someone started a thread somewhere here about kagi, the paid search engine that gave you tools like the ability to filter out domains you don't want, and let you curate sources yourself. It was also 5 buckaroos a month so that's basically a non starter lol, though that's probably the paradigm shift from free (but ad-driven) that is the missing piece of the puzzle

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

mystes posted:

Licensing bing? Do they have a self hosted search app or something?

bing up your NAS

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

I love my amazon basics dark grey plates

I also got their kitchen knife set and they're still sharp

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Zamujasa posted:

there is no cloud robot, it's just somebody else's computer

Unironically, in the replies apparently it's someone controlling it with a VR setup

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

well I hope you're happy

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Shame Boy posted:

i like that

what happened to how?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

preach brother

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Amazon probably had the best customer support and that’s pretty sad because they just throw money at it. Hey amazon i think i got a fake thing: keep it whatever and here’s your money back. Didn’t use prime? here’s your money back. left an ec2 instance running too long? oops here’s some credit back and don’t do it again

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

https://www.pcgamer.com/discord-is-opening-the-monetization-floodgates-get-ready-for-microtransaction-stores-and-paid-exclusive-memes/

Strap in for more enshittification

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

BMan posted:

I'm not reading this because "PC gamer" autoplayed an anime at me that followed my scrolling and unpaused itself

try using ublock to keep the brown sea from invading your home op