Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Godholio posted:

:lol: St Louis (and Baltimore) will burn itself to the ground in Judge Dredd-style block wars before the rascals are even charged up to move.

The Call goes out on the Government Subsidized Obamaphones FREE MARKET PHONES "Race War! Race War! Dry your powder. Charge your Chariot!"

Bill-Joe looks at his insulin supply. He sighs. Its running dangerously low thanks to that goddamn Obamacare. Not to mention the supplies being redirected away. "All we did is tell them we are at war!" Bill-Joe thinks to himself. "Its not fair they cut us off like this!" It should last him until resupply after the triumph over the urban ferals of St. Louis.
Nadine hobbles around the corner. Her gout is acting up. "Bill-Joe, we're out of food!" The Super-Valu hadn't been stocked in weeks. Bill-Joe gazed out a window over fields of useless inedible vegetables in the direction he thinks New York City may lie.
"Goddamn useless vegetables don't even taste good." Those liberal elites were hoarding all the cheeseburgers and microwave dinners for themselves in their goddamn ivory towers. He just knew it. Hillary Clinton and George Soros were eating children and pop corn from bags while enjoying the luxury of reliable electrical power. "Even our loving microwave doesn't work since they turned off the power!"

"Nadine, we'll resupply on the way. I promise everything will be better after we get rid of those drat city folk. Lets get some rest while the Rascals charge. We can burn this Medicaid coverage statements to stay warm." Betsy the Cow began turning the wheel to power the generator to charge the scooters. Bill-Joe and Nadine snorted the last of their dwindling supply of Oxy and fell into a disturbed sleep.

A rooster crowed them awake around noon three days later. They were on the floor. The Oxy was gone. Betsy was dead. Bill-Joe ate a cheeto he found under the couch in an attempt to stabilize his blood sugar. They had missed roll out.

"Nadine! Wake up we need to get going! We can still catch up and help win the fight!" They mounted their scooters and rolled towards the freeway. As they began closing on St. Louis they were able to see smoke bellowing from the former city. "Nadine, they won without us!"

Getting even closer they were able to see the signs of a pitched battle. Scorched cars, toppled Rascals and shell casings strewn around. "Bill-Joe, will they let us have any food since we were late?" Nadine asks.
"Nadine, there is so much food in this town they won't be able to stop us"

Across town Chris looks up from his beer. The Giant Weed Bonfire is belching smoke into the air. It has been going strong for days in celebration . He vaguely remembers something in the news about the rural counties declaring war. He heard a few shots the night before. Nothing new for St. Louis. Whatever happened they had killed all the rich people and took their poo poo. Some nerds got put in charge of the government and everything was working out pretty OK. Chris hears the whining of some electric motors behind him. Turning around he sees two corpses, hands jammed on the forward levers of their mobility scooters. Rebel flags flapping in the breeze.

"I need to stop smoking so much".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

i lust for civil war in a nuclear armed country

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Smiling Jack posted:

this thread is just getting stupider and stupider

Yeah :(

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Smiling Jack posted:

just like this year amirite yuk yuk yuk

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Laranzu posted:

The Call goes out on the Government Subsidized Obamaphones FREE MARKET PHONES "Race War! Race War! Dry your powder. Charge your Chariot!"

Bill-Joe looks at his insulin supply. He sighs. Its running dangerously low thanks to that goddamn Obamacare. Not to mention the supplies being redirected away. "All we did is tell them we are at war!" Bill-Joe thinks to himself. "Its not fair they cut us off like this!" It should last him until resupply after the triumph over the urban ferals of St. Louis.
Nadine hobbles around the corner. Her gout is acting up. "Bill-Joe, we're out of food!" The Super-Valu hadn't been stocked in weeks. Bill-Joe gazed out a window over fields of useless inedible vegetables in the direction he thinks New York City may lie.
"Goddamn useless vegetables don't even taste good." Those liberal elites were hoarding all the cheeseburgers and microwave dinners for themselves in their goddamn ivory towers. He just knew it. Hillary Clinton and George Soros were eating children and pop corn from bags while enjoying the luxury of reliable electrical power. "Even our loving microwave doesn't work since they turned off the power!"

"Nadine, we'll resupply on the way. I promise everything will be better after we get rid of those drat city folk. Lets get some rest while the Rascals charge. We can burn this Medicaid coverage statements to stay warm." Betsy the Cow began turning the wheel to power the generator to charge the scooters. Bill-Joe and Nadine snorted the last of their dwindling supply of Oxy and fell into a disturbed sleep.

A rooster crowed them awake around noon three days later. They were on the floor. The Oxy was gone. Betsy was dead. Bill-Joe ate a cheeto he found under the couch in an attempt to stabilize his blood sugar. They had missed roll out.

"Nadine! Wake up we need to get going! We can still catch up and help win the fight!" They mounted their scooters and rolled towards the freeway. As they began closing on St. Louis they were able to see smoke bellowing from the former city. "Nadine, they won without us!"

Getting even closer they were able to see the signs of a pitched battle. Scorched cars, toppled Rascals and shell casings strewn around. "Bill-Joe, will they let us have any food since we were late?" Nadine asks.
"Nadine, there is so much food in this town they won't be able to stop us"

Across town Chris looks up from his beer. The Giant Weed Bonfire is belching smoke into the air. It has been going strong for days in celebration . He vaguely remembers something in the news about the rural counties declaring war. He heard a few shots the night before. Nothing new for St. Louis. Whatever happened they had killed all the rich people and took their poo poo. Some nerds got put in charge of the government and everything was working out pretty OK. Chris hears the whining of some electric motors behind him. Turning around he sees two corpses, hands jammed on the forward levers of their mobility scooters. Rebel flags flapping in the breeze.

"I need to stop smoking so much".

Put this on my grave

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

All my money would have been on pakistan. Outside shot at NK

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 21, 2017

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm just waiting for the next/new war to distract from domestic issues

Money's on NK but the morbid part of me wonders if this Jerusalem thing will give us an excuse for another ME country

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Smiling Jack posted:

This thread is converging with d&d

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Wanna see Trump's declaration of Jerusalem as the capital kick off a massive regional confluct that results Israel going all Sampson written by Tom Clancy directed by Michael Bay.

Some how the US doesn't directly intervene

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Smiling Jack posted:

Smiling Jack posted:

I voted for bob dole in 1996. I don't know why.

Smiling Jack posted:

but we have always been at war with Eurasia

Smiling Jack posted:

Darkest timeline nothing matters

Smiling Jack posted:

poor people in this country have loving Stockholm syndrome

Smiling Jack posted:

suck my dick from the back, hail ss-18 Satan etc

Yeah I wonder why.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I'm not trying to pick on smiling jack, but this applies to anyone who is unhappy with the Current Events threading changing tack because of the tax bill or whatever else (in the past, see: punching nazis): Shim and I do keep an eye on the thread, and we'll make a call on spinning off a discussion when it overtakes all other discussions. Complaining within the thread just contributes to the spirit of the very thing you may find frustrating, so try PMing a mod instead. Or better yet, bring up a new issue in the thread. There's lots of other news going on.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Zeris posted:

Yeah I wonder why.

Monster kill

I work nights so I have no one to type long extremely tedious and factually accurate paragraphs at :(

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Hey me too. We're more likely to be depressed, overweight, kill ourselves, and develop heart disease.

I survive on sugar free Red Bull, coffee, and hate.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

If I was in charge of an ISP, I would be cutting consumer internet costs by a huge margin (like, 35-50%) and say that the net neutrality repeal allows us to finally pass savings on to the customer. Convince anyone who isn't read up on the subject to associate low Internet costs with no net neutrality.

On the back end, implement the speed/traffic packages for web service hosts and charge the gently caress out of them to make up the costs. Most consumers will blame the businesses for the increased cost of stuff like Netflix, not the ISPs who were nice enough to cut their Internet prices.

After you have public opinion on your side, boil the frog slowly and bring Internet costs back up to where they were over a few years through "infrastructure costs to support the new Internet model".

Of course, I guess most ISP CEOs would just prefer to loot and run in the short term instead of actually attempting to work public opinion and solidify their gains.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

kill whitey

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/12/04/lake-chad-the-worlds-most-complex-humanitarian-disaster

I don't know if I've posted this before (or if someone else did) but it's a great article about the Lake Chad region. We don't really get to play the "China doesn't care about HR violations" card these days.

That’s the first I’ve seen it, thanks for sharing it. Yeah, the Sahel and the Lake Chad Basin are such a mess, and the attendant issues drag in every neighboring country as well. In CAR, it’s very lucrative to be a warlord or bandit gang leader- one guy whose militia controls one of the traditional Peuhl grazing routes makes $500 million USD a year in extortion and “taxes” from the pastoralist tribes who use those roads.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
There was another defection from North Korea, this time there's a bit of a twist.

https://twitter.com/nycjim/status/943823009097420800

Norks went to chase the guy and actually went into South Korea. The Sorks shot 20 warning shots at the Norks and the Norks went back over the border.

An hour later, there was gunfire back on the North Korea side. :v:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

facialimpediment posted:

There was another defection from North Korea, this time there's a bit of a twist.

https://twitter.com/nycjim/status/943823009097420800

Norks went to chase the guy and actually went into South Korea. The Sorks shot 20 warning shots at the Norks and the Norks went back over the border.

An hour later, there was gunfire back on the North Korea side. :v:

The norks do unit decimation? That's pretty :black101:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

A war with NK would make the highway of death look like peanuts. I honestly don't think history would even call it a war, it'd be mass murder.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Floodkiller posted:

If I was in charge of an ISP, I would be cutting consumer internet costs by a huge margin (like, 35-50%) and say that the net neutrality repeal allows us to finally pass savings on to the customer. Convince anyone who isn't read up on the subject to associate low Internet costs with no net neutrality.

On the back end, implement the speed/traffic packages for web service hosts and charge the gently caress out of them to make up the costs. Most consumers will blame the businesses for the increased cost of stuff like Netflix, not the ISPs who were nice enough to cut their Internet prices.

After you have public opinion on your side, boil the frog slowly and bring Internet costs back up to where they were over a few years through "infrastructure costs to support the new Internet model".

Of course, I guess most ISP CEOs would just prefer to loot and run in the short term instead of actually attempting to work public opinion and solidify their gains.

You don't have to worry about public opinion when you have a monopoly. See: airlines and rental car companies.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

psydude posted:

You don't have to worry about public opinion when you have a monopoly. See: airlines and rental car companies.

And you DO have to worry about quarterly reports to stockholders.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Floodkiller posted:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

That Works posted:

The norks do unit decimation? That's pretty :black101:

It's straight up :commissar: is what it is.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
How? How are the Feds so loving bad at this?
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/12/20/572426023/judge-declares-mistrial-in-conspiracy-case-against-bundys

quote:

A federal judge declared a mistrial Wednesday in the case against rancher Cliven Bundy, his two sons and another self-styled militiaman. The men had been charged with conspiracy and assault after their 2014 dispute over cattle-grazing rights in Nevada developed into an armed standoff with federal agents.

U.S. District Gloria Navarro found that prosecutors had failed to turn over documents that could be used to support the defense's case. As NPR's Kirk Siegler reports, Navarro also noted "that the government had erroneously claimed several things, including that there weren't snipers surveying the Bundy ranch when there were."

"The court does regrettably believe a mistrial in this case is the most suitable and only remedy," she said from the bench Wednesday.

The prosector in this case needs to loving resign.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Waroduce posted:

Wanna see Trump's declaration of Jerusalem as the capital kick off a massive regional confluct that results Israel going all Sampson written by Tom Clancy directed by Michael Bay.

Some how the US doesn't directly intervene

Destabilizing a long-standing structure and causing it to collapse and kill them? Sounds like they're already doing it.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

How? How are the Feds so loving bad at this?
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/12/20/572426023/judge-declares-mistrial-in-conspiracy-case-against-bundys

The prosector in this case needs to loving resign.

She hasn’t commented on this just yet, but JJ McNab is the Twitter persona that you want to follow for everything sov cit or right-wing extremist. She’s a really good researcher and has some great knowledge of these groups and their dynamics.

I fear that the string of acquittals or mistrials for the Bundys will only empower additional actors like them, and that we’ll see other batty poo poo go down the next time we have a Democrat or someone who can’t pass the paper bag test in national office.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
when you're definitely Not Mad

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/943858186175598592

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/943857627183718402

Very popular tax bill, much like your favorite President (me)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

M_Gargantua posted:

The war is already being fought around you on Facebook. Get yourself a bot net and go do meme battle for the soul of America.

Russia's already winning.

FAUXTON posted:

Because trade flourished in optimal conditions - favorable geography, stable and functioning infrastructure, a government at some length that directed the collective defense of the city. Like sure I'd agree with you on the death traps thing if this were the fifth century BCE and aircraft didn't exist, or this was to be a symmetrical conflict where rural seditionist militias ran combat operations out of their airbases but it ain't, and expectations of NYC falling like Rome to Brennus or Houston being crumbled into the sea like Carthage are woefully unfounded as to be on the verge of romantic delusion.

Funny thing about modern cities is that they rely on almost everything being brought in. If you're "fighting" the very people who supply you with almost everything you need/want/use, this isn't even a war. It's a siege that doesn't require an army.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 21, 2017

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/943857627183718402

Very popular tax bill, much like your favorite President (me)

"Yes very popular the most popular the biggest tax cuts I've ever had - I mean seen for the little people" - the president probably

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Godholio posted:

Russia's already winning.

Funny thing about modern cities is that they rely on almost everything being brought in. If you're "fighting" the very people who supply you with almost everything you need/want/use, this isn't even a war. It's a siege that doesn't require an army.

Just ask Constantinople how easy is is to besiege a costal city.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Ban Wall Street

https://twitter.com/tictoc/status/943859028509290496

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1EF20I

quote:

Long Island Ice Tea said it was shifting its primary business strategy to blockchain technology and was in the preliminary stages of evaluating specific opportunities to grow that business.

The company said it would still continue to operate its beverage business, under which it sells Long Island iced tea and Long Island lemonade.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 21, 2017

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/943845166326038530

This is all totally not a bubble that will eventually crash when the music stops

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

lol, I can't wait to tell my children about the crypto crash of 2018 that made Tulip mania look like a warm up exercise.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

This is hilarious

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Can you believe these people still get paid to write this poo poo?
https://twitter.com/politico/status/943521403512475649
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/12/20/how-to-beat-trump-2020-elections-generic-democrat-216121

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

This is a pretty good explanation of why I'm hording cash instead of throwing it into the market. I'm tempted to pull a ton of my money out of my non-retirement accounts (let the 90% stock poo poo ride) as soon as the calendar ticks over to 2018.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I literally had another officer tell me this morning that Bitcoin is the wave of the future. He was also an officer that was going to refrad and totally make 200k working twitter and Instagram out in Idaho... both times I’ve been stupid enough to try to explain how I don’t think that’s how objective reality works.

He’s full of great hot takes like how brick and mortar shops are going to totally going to make a resurgence because people will one day wake up and be tired of the Internet.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
It's absolutely absurd to act like the conservative/liberal divide perfectly matches the rural/urban divide. Any Civil War 2 Electric Boogaloo is gonna look like Iraq at the height of the insurgency.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

It's an opinion piece and can be safely relegated to the dustbin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

my kinda ape posted:

It's absolutely absurd to act like the conservative/liberal divide perfectly matches the rural/urban divide. Any Civil War 2 Electric Boogaloo is gonna look like Iraq at the height of the insurgency.
Coastal city liberal death squads gonna be going around with sprigs of arugula and kale asking people if they know a proper wine pairing, and checking for "Mountain Dew mouth."

• Locked thread